Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I haven't seen that magazine in at least a decade, and the presentation of its cover (and presumably contents) hasn't changed one iota.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

"Most ambitious rpg ever"

Sure, whatever you say.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

continuously mishandling something for almost a decade = ambition

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I thought the most ambitious rpg ever would be part of the Xeno- series.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

XBC X is certainly trying its hardest.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

That Girl/Guy's head is 90 degrees to the rest of their body, doubt that feels good

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

ImpAtom posted:

From what I understand basically what is happening is this:

The game is running a Japanese version of the game and patching it on the fly, rather then just running the game. That is the cause of the load times.

It's as stupid as it sounds.

In the case of Chrono Trigger, the rom file is actually too big to load it all into memory at once, so the Psx has to load chunks off the disc.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I killed two of them with the Vanille summon/triple SAB death spam technique just to see how well it works and it's definitely not worth it until I can actually fight them normally.

As I recall, that's how I powerleveled (and farmed for gil and Trapezohedrons) in the post-game. I actually don't think I ever fought an Adamantoise in FF13 using any other method. It helps to give Vanille the Malboro Wand, though. And by "it helps," I mean, "it'd be horrifically painful to do this method with any other weapon."

It, uh, took a lot of time. Listen, I had just graduated college and I wasn't employed and... yeah. I also ended up writing a stupidly detailed weapon upgrading guide that I posted on the GameFAQs forums. It was a dark time.

Anyway, when it comes to SEN, I found it really useful in the postgame, but I can't remember really using it in the main game. Some of the postgame hunt bosses, like Vercingetorix, basically require you to have a triple SEN paradigm in there somewhere.

Mischitary posted:

I'm pretty sure in like every Final Fantasy game the monsters you summon have the same name in Japanese, genju, which translates to something like phantom beast. I think the problem is that the word genju is a lot more succinct and distinct than phantom beast, so the English translations always try to come up with their own terminology. Whether it be Esper, Eidolon, or Aeon. I personally think that Eidolon is probably the best.

Eidolon is my favorite, too. I really like the sound of the word "Esper," though, and it's the term used in two of my three favorite FFs, so I'm partial to that one as well.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 12, 2015

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Believe me, you don't need to justify bad decision making here, in the Final Fantasy thread.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Harrow posted:

Eidolon is my favorite, too. I really like the sound of the word "Esper," though, and it's the term used in two of my three favorite FFs, so I'm partial to that one as well.

Eidolon is also the closest to the meaning of "genju", anyways.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

As I recall, that's how I powerleveled (and farmed for gil and Trapezohedrons) in the post-game. I actually don't think I ever fought an Adamantoise in FF13 using any other method. It helps to give Vanille the Malboro Wand, though. And by "it helps," I mean, "it'd be horrifically painful to do this method with any other weapon."

It, uh, took a lot of time. Listen, I had just graduated college and I wasn't employed and... yeah. I also ended up writing a stupidly detailed weapon upgrading guide that I posted on the GameFAQs forums. It was a dark time.

Anyway, when it comes to SEN, I found it really useful in the postgame, but I can't remember really using it in the main game. Some of the postgame hunt bosses, like Vercingetorix, basically require you to have a triple SEN paradigm in there somewhere.

Chances are I am probably using the guide you wrote, if it's that huge one with exactly how many sturdy bones and superconductors you need to buy to max each weapon really quickly.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
How can they give a verdict (on twenty pages, no less) after only playing the demo, is there a review copy released already?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Szurumbur posted:

How can they give a verdict (on twenty pages, no less) after only playing the demo, is there a review copy released already?

If there were then there would already be a weeaboo battle royale to slay its holder and claim it for their own.

This is just games journalism proceeding as usual.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Szurumbur posted:

lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

*emerges from under rock, skin made of hardened scales, lizard eyes adjusting to the harsh light of the sun*

WHY ISSSSS THISSSS GAMESSSSS MAGAZINE BEING SSSSOOO HYPERBOLIC? *eats a live rat*

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chances are I am probably using the guide you wrote, if it's that huge one with exactly how many sturdy bones and superconductors you need to buy to max each weapon really quickly.

Does it have an analysis of which weapon you should upgrade for each character, too? If so, that's definitely mine. I considered cleaning it up and submitting it to be an actual guide but just never got around to it. It seemed too short to warrant it and I couldn't think of anything else to include.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I'm quite certain they could've merely narrate what they did in the demo and it would take less than twenty pages, I'm curious what's the actual article says.

Endorph posted:

*emerges from under rock, skin made of hardened scales, lizard eyes adjusting to the harsh light of the sun*

WHY ISSSSS THISSSS GAMESSSSS MAGAZINE BEING SSSSOOO HYPERBOLIC? *eats a live rat*

lol

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Szurumbur posted:

I'm quite certain they could've merely narrate what they did in the demo and it would take less than twenty pages, I'm curious what's the actual article says.

Lots of big, glossy images would be my guess.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Vanille/Sazh is the best core in 13. When leading with Sazh, you want to buff Vanille while she lands a deshell on a mob, then double rav to stagger, com/rav to kill, repeat. Assist off Vanille and don't let her debuff everything off the bat, as she'll just stand around then you need to build the chain off of that initial deshell. Things die incredibly fast and it's a lot more engaging than Light/Hope's more traditional setup.

Vanille lead is easier as you can spam debuts manually.

Sen is good to duck in to soak a hit or when you're punching above your pay grade but is definitely not an everyday role.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Aside from obvious "use sen now" boss fight moments, I mostly remember finding it useful for those nasty flying motorcycle things in the Snow/Hope portion of chapter 7.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

All of this FF13 talk is making me want to play it again, which is something I legitimately never thought I'd want. Maybe I'll grab the PC version to play whenever I'm not playing an unhealthy amount of Bloodborne.

It could be interesting to do a reassessment of it like I did a few years ago with FF8. (I still came away not liking it very much, though the first half of the story is better than I gave it credit for.)

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

derra posted:

Vanille lead is easier as you can spam debuts manually.

Oh yeah! I forgot to mention that. For those who are interested in issuing commands often instead of auto battle then try putting your SAB as your leader and go to town with strategically ordering your debuffs. It can make a big difference. SYN as leader isn't bad either for the same reason, but not as useful as SAB imo.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Harrow posted:

All of this FF13 talk is making me want to play it again, which is something I legitimately never thought I'd want. Maybe I'll grab the PC version to play whenever I'm not playing an unhealthy amount of Bloodborne.

It could be interesting to do a reassessment of it like I did a few years ago with FF8. (I still came away not liking it very much, though the first half of the story is better than I gave it credit for.)

Bloodborne isn't out for 2 weeks, you could finish it before it even arrives!

E: I want to play it but I've yet to finish demons souls let alone dark souls and I have a mental block against playing series out of order.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Bloodborne isn't out for 2 weeks, you could finish it before it even arrives!

E: I want to play it but I've yet to finish demons souls let alone dark souls and I have a mental block against playing series out of order.

But I'm neck-deep in replaying FF12 IZJS!

If it helps re: Bloodborne, none of the games have any connection to one another, story-wise (except Dark Souls 2 to Dark Souls, in a minor, callback-y sort of way), so you'd be extremely safe just jumping right into Bloodborne. It promises to be pretty different, too!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Harrow posted:

If it helps re: Bloodborne, none of the games have any connection to one another, story-wise (except Dark Souls 2 to Dark Souls, in a minor, callback-y sort of way), so you'd be extremely safe just jumping right into Bloodborne. It promises to be pretty different, too!

Well... based on the beta, Bloodborne might have some pretty direct connections to another Souls game. Not that it matters a whole lot, though.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Harrow posted:

Yeah, but you see it's a spiritual sequel and I can't because

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

Well... based on the beta, Bloodborne might have some pretty direct connections to another Souls game. Not that it matters a whole lot, though.

Yeah, that's true. Plenty of Demon's Souls references, though I would be surprised if they went further than names and oblique references.

Anyway! This is the Final Fantasy thread.

I only barely managed to avoid steal-grinding to make Arcturus before the Tomb of Raithwall in my current IZJS playthrough. What stopped me wasn't the grind of it all--somehow I was fine with that part--but the fact that it'd break the game wide open for the next thirty levels or so. It's not a hard game by any means, but I'd like to at least see bosses move before Balthier pops them in the head.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

And yet I'm probably going to buy FF7 for the third time when it's released on PS4.

I bought it once to play on PS3/PSP/Vita

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In other Final Fantasy news, FFXIV is the only MMO whose music alone makes me want to play it again. I know I don't have the time (or the desire) to get entrenched in an MMO, but drat if that music isn't amazing.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Harrow posted:

I only barely managed to avoid steal-grinding to make Arcturus before the Tomb of Raithwall in my current IZJS playthrough. What stopped me wasn't the grind of it all--somehow I was fine with that part--but the fact that it'd break the game wide open for the next thirty levels or so. It's not a hard game by any means, but I'd like to at least see bosses move before Balthier pops them in the head.

Don't... want... to break? :psyduck:

(I kid, but holy poo poo, half my desire from playing any given FF game is how quickly and widely I can break it open.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Don't... want... to break? :psyduck:

(I kid, but holy poo poo, half my desire from playing any given FF game is how quickly and widely I can break it open.)

That's just so simple in FFXII, though. Just steal five items, sell them, drop 8000 gil, and (in IZJS) have a Machinist, and you're going to sail through like 60% of the game one-shotting everything, even some bosses (with minimal setup). Make me work a little harder for it, y'know?

That does remind me how fun it is to break FFVIII wide open, though. Played correctly, FFVIII is the story of some teenagers saving the world by being really good at a popular trading card game.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Harrow posted:

That's just so simple in FFXII, though. Just steal five items, sell them, drop 8000 gil, and (in IZJS) have a Machinist, and you're going to sail through like 60% of the game one-shotting everything, even some bosses (with minimal setup). Make me work a little harder for it, y'know?

Eh, fair enough, I guess. I will say though that one of the things about IZJS that pisses me off is how late you get the Nihopalaoa. Let me loving throw debuff bombs, damnit! :argh:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sakurazuka posted:

XBC X is certainly trying its hardest.

It'll be worth it though. I like how FF15's roadtrip video tried to show off landscapes and they still weren't as interesting as the shots in XBC X.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Eh, fair enough, I guess. I will say though that one of the things about IZJS that pisses me off is how late you get the Nihopalaoa. Let me loving throw debuff bombs, damnit! :argh:

Now that's the fun way to break FFXII.

It's also the primary reason to use an Archer in IZJS. All those Remedy Lores make the Nihopalaoa hilariously fun. I mean, I guess all you really need is to slap it on and throw Chronos Tears, but still. I'll never get tired of seeing the cascade of status ailments pop up thanks to the ol' Niho.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

How long do you have to wait for the Niho in IZJS? It came at a reasonable mid-game-ish point in vanilla.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Evil Fluffy posted:

It'll be worth it though. I like how FF15's roadtrip video tried to show off landscapes and they still weren't as interesting as the shots in XBC X.

I feel like they're going for different things though, X is trying to be this super epic thing about the last of humanity trying to survive on a hostile alien planet while XV seems to be going for a more personal story, at least from what we've seen, and the world is more evocative of ours but fantasy rather ridiculous vistas all over the place.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Do you think Final Fantasy XVI will have Morpheus support

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Vil posted:

How long do you have to wait for the Niho in IZJS? It came at a reasonable mid-game-ish point in vanilla.

It's a crafted thing with some fairly annoying materials (10% steal out of Tchita Uplands and a 3% Steal/15% monograph out of Adramallach's room), or not until Pharos Subterrane/Henne Dig 2.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Do you think Final Fantasy XVI will have Morpheus support

Yes. It will be amazing*

*terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Kyrosiris posted:

It's a crafted thing with some fairly annoying materials (10% steal out of Tchita Uplands and a 3% Steal/15% monograph out of Adramallach's room), or not until Pharos Subterrane/Henne Dig 2.

Honestly I think the ingredients are a bit easier to get than the stuff to get the Arcturus really early. I'm pretty sure you can still get the Nihopaloa around the time you can access Mt. Bur Omisace, which isn't terribly late. It's been a while though, so I may be remembering wrong.

Yeah, you need:
Leo Gems x3 - steal from the non-hostile Wild Saurian in the Estersand (very early, low risk).
Blood-Stained Necklace x3 - 15% Warmage Monograph drop from shambling corpses in Zertinan Caverns (Available early. It's not like you have to fight Adramelech; just head to the middle to start enemies spawning, exit the zone, then go back in and hang out by the exit where Adra won't bother you).
Death's-Head x2 - steal from the Grave Lord rare game that spawns in the one area of the Golmore Jungle after you kill everything else (this is the most annoying, but it's not real late in the game).