Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
2-3 maybe? Unless it's a small company where you know the guy hiring you, take it seriously like a regular job application.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Even though my boss has been pushing for it because I get poo poo done, management has decided my group does not need a senior level position. Which is a shame, because I like working here.

I have a couple of questions-

I've held two jobs for the 8 years since graduating college. Should I focus on these on the resume and expand them out? Should I leave my three internships on there even though they're mostly irrelevant?

Should my resume contain a skills section? I've never used one before and mentioned things I did in my work experience, but some of my friends do use them.

I'm planning on moving across the country in 6 months, should I even bother looking around here? Is it bad to have a job on there for 5 months or so and then leave? I'm thinking of just throwing things out there to see if something great happens that would make the move happen sooner.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
6 months seems awfully short.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

FogHelmut posted:

I'm planning on moving across the country in 6 months, should I even bother looking around here? Is it bad to have a job on there for 5 months or so and then leave? I'm thinking of just throwing things out there to see if something great happens that would make the move happen sooner.
Is looking to work with a company that also has offices near where you're moving out of the question?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My fiancee and I were talking about her pending results from a couple interviews she had recently, and in her angst I thought of something I never figured out when I was first applying for work- does it impact your chances of landing a job if they know (or you mention that) you've applied to other positions? On the one hand, I thought you were always supposed to make it out like the job you're interviewing for right now is The One and it's the best fit for you and your dream job and all that. On the other hand, no hiring manager is dumb enough to believe that their job is the only one you're applying to, right? If you're interviewing someone and they say something like "please let me know your decision soon, as I'm waiting to hear back from other places and want to compare them side-by-side", how do you feel?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

C-Euro posted:

My fiancee and I were talking about her pending results from a couple interviews she had recently, and in her angst I thought of something I never figured out when I was first applying for work- does it impact your chances of landing a job if they know (or you mention that) you've applied to other positions? On the one hand, I thought you were always supposed to make it out like the job you're interviewing for right now is The One and it's the best fit for you and your dream job and all that. On the other hand, no hiring manager is dumb enough to believe that their job is the only one you're applying to, right? If you're interviewing someone and they say something like "please let me know your decision soon, as I'm waiting to hear back from other places and want to compare them side-by-side", how do you feel?
My assumption is always that I can hire the person with nothing else on the table without paying as much money. Take whatever you want from this statement.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
So I'm trying to change career tracks from electrical engineering to software engineering. The problem is 8 years of my experience is devoid of any software work; I've only got the past year and a half to point to any substantive work I've done in software development. So naturally I'm expecting to take a more junior position, but how do I approach this in terms of resume editing? Obviously I plan to pull out any cross-disciplinary skills from those 8 years, but I'm still in the unenviable position of applying to entry- or junior-level positions with a 2005 graduation year.

Any advice or perspective on how that will be perceived/how best to approach it?

The Baroness
Oct 1, 2004
Glasses, evil and HAWT

MickeyFinn posted:

I'm sure Taleo is excellent at whittling down a long list of candidates to a few cases. But it also adds an arbitrary extra set of qualifications to the job description: the ability to get the tracker to score you high enough. That sort of thing is fine when you have a large applicant pool of relatively fungible candidates, but would be devastating to a search in a small candidate pool. I should clarify that I'm on the outside looking in like everyone else here, but everything I have read about Taleo leads me to not even apply to jobs that use it.

I hate Taleo. I was a supervisor at a company and left for a period of time. When I wanted to come back, they said sure, but because of my long absence, I had to re-apply, and they had switched over to Taleo. A few days later, they called me back and said I had to do it again, because I had failed it. I made my husband run through it, since he's good at that. Someone with over 5 years experience with that company, and the program determined I was unqualified to work there.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

How far out is it acceptable to begin applying for jobs? I'm trying to work out a scheduling conflict right now that is basically a three week period in June where I'm possibly unavailable for work because of prior obligations, so July is probably when I would be trying to line up a new job. That's four months from now, probably too big of a gap to begin applying for jobs, yeah?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Probably not. If you are up front that you can't start until July, then either they take you and you start in July or they don't and you're not out a job you otherwise would have taken anyway.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Johnny Truant posted:

How far out is it acceptable to begin applying for jobs? I'm trying to work out a scheduling conflict right now that is basically a three week period in June where I'm possibly unavailable for work because of prior obligations, so July is probably when I would be trying to line up a new job. That's four months from now, probably too big of a gap to begin applying for jobs, yeah?
What does "possibly unavailable" actually mean?

Tom P. Baxter
Apr 26, 2005
How do you know my language!?!?!
I'm applying for research jobs at some pharmaceutical companies. I got my PhD three years ago and since then I've been teaching while looking for work. This isn't really relevant to the job, and I don't want to make it look like I'm just applying to these jobs because I can't find a teaching job. That's party true, but after thinking about my career options more this is a direction I really would like to go in. Should I mention these positions on my resume? Maybe just a single entry for the assorted teaching jobs I've had? Without that there's a bit of a gap in my work experience.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Tom P. Baxter posted:

I'm applying for research jobs at some pharmaceutical companies. I got my PhD three years ago and since then I've been teaching while looking for work. This isn't really relevant to the job, and I don't want to make it look like I'm just applying to these jobs because I can't find a teaching job. That's party true, but after thinking about my career options more this is a direction I really would like to go in. Should I mention these positions on my resume? Maybe just a single entry for the assorted teaching jobs I've had? Without that there's a bit of a gap in my work experience.
It's up to your cover letter or other introductions to communicate the enthusiasm you have for the work. Leave your employment history alone, put it below your education if you think that's more relevant, and stop overthinking it. Who with a Ph.D hasn't taught classes?

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Has anyone ever heard of pre-recorded interviews? Apparently I use my webcam and answer a series of questions online. This seems deceptively in my favor, so what's the best way to prepare for these?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Misogynist posted:

What does "possibly unavailable" actually mean?

I have an opportunity to work production for a really big music festival. While I'm not locked in to it, I'd really like to be able to do it. I'm just in a bind now because if I start applying for jobs immediately, I'm not going to have enough PTO when June rolls around to take basically three weeks off, and putting a starting date of July 1st is pretty far out. So I'm torn between putting down "immediately available" or available in July. And I imagine asking during an interview "oh yeah can I also just have a 3 week leave in June" not very kosher, haha. I'm brainstorming ways to try to bring it up if I get a call-back from a phone interview I'm taking on Wednesday.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Honestly just wait to apply to jobs. Most jobs you'd be able to apply to now want someone who can start immediately/in the next month, not in July, and 3 weeks off the first few months on the job is really unlikely. If it were only a week, you could just mention it as an aside in the interview, but 3 weeks is long enough that a lot of interviewers will balk, especially if you tell them why.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Xandu posted:

Honestly just wait to apply to jobs. Most jobs you'd be able to apply to now want someone who can start immediately/in the next month, not in July, and 3 weeks off the first few months on the job is really unlikely. If it were only a week, you could just mention it as an aside in the interview, but 3 weeks is long enough that a lot of interviewers will balk, especially if you tell them why.

Yeah, that's basically what I was thinking. The only problem is that I need to confirm whether or not I'll be working the production gig approximately two weeks from now.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Johnny Truant posted:

Yeah, that's basically what I was thinking. The only problem is that I need to confirm whether or not I'll be working the production gig approximately two weeks from now.
What's the actual field that you're applying for jobs in?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Misogynist posted:

What's the actual field that you're applying for jobs in?

Histology, preferably in a clinical pathology lab. Completely unrelated to the production job, ha.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I should tell my boss if I'm going to be applying to other positions internally, right? She isn't mental or anything and we have a good relationship.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

FogHelmut posted:

I should tell my boss if I'm going to be applying to other positions internally, right? She isn't mental or anything and we have a good relationship.
Absolutely yes. You'll destroy your relationship with your boss and your credibility (unless she's a known rear end in a top hat) with the company if you apply internally without talking to her first. In fact, most internal postings I've seen say that you must have clearance from your current supervisor to apply.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, I'm in the process of applying for new grad jobs (nursing student, I'm told being a dude is relevant info).

1. How far out do I mention any plans I have re: career/education? I'm currently applying to an RN-BSN Program to start in the fall, but long-term I'm hoping to get my MSN or DNP and work as a Nurse Practitioner. Granted plans can certainly change in the 5-10 years between now and then, but I assume they will ask "where do you see yourself" sorts of questions, and having a timeline is usually good? I just don't want to repeat the mistakes my parents made and try to go to grad school while joggling a marriage/kids if possible.

2. Do I mention I have plans for family vacation in August? I can certainly skip the trip if its a big deal, but I'm unsure when or if to mention it.

3. I've been told (by a classmate that is currently employed there) that, should I clear the phone interview tomorrow morning, I can expect multiple in-person interviews, as each department that is interested in a candidate will interview them. Are these likely to be on the same day? I am printing nice, professional copies of my resume/cover letter, on resume paper and everything, and contact information cards (since its really not a business card) to give to the interviewers, and I don't want to show up with half a dozen copies if they won't be needed.

and finally, aside from the "any questions" bit, how do I wrap up the interview? In the sense of, how do I ask "what is the next step"? Or is it that simple?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Annath posted:

So, I'm in the process of applying for new grad jobs (nursing student, I'm told being a dude is relevant info).

1. How far out do I mention any plans I have re: career/education? I'm currently applying to an RN-BSN Program to start in the fall, but long-term I'm hoping to get my MSN or DNP and work as a Nurse Practitioner. Granted plans can certainly change in the 5-10 years between now and then, but I assume they will ask "where do you see yourself" sorts of questions, and having a timeline is usually good? I just don't want to repeat the mistakes my parents made and try to go to grad school while joggling a marriage/kids if possible.

I don't think you need to get too specific, but definitely mention that you're interested in continuing your education.

quote:

2. Do I mention I have plans for family vacation in August? I can certainly skip the trip if its a big deal, but I'm unsure when or if to mention it.

No, it's far enough away that I wouldn't mention it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dik Hz posted:

Absolutely yes. You'll destroy your relationship with your boss and your credibility (unless she's a known rear end in a top hat) with the company if you apply internally without talking to her first. In fact, most internal postings I've seen say that you must have clearance from your current supervisor to apply.

Yeah I talked to her and everything is fine and she's good with everything. I get anxiety about this stuff and I don't know why because not much else really phases me. I applied to this internal position and who knows what will happen, it didn't ask for a resume and then said it sent my resume. Maybe I should apply to HR to fix their applications system.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Is there a playbook for asking for references from your current job (not your boss, but people you work with frequently and give you great evaluations to HR) when you're not sure those people would be thrilled with you leaving? I have some great references I could use where I am now, but I'm terrified to ask them if I can use them as a reference. Just don't want to rock the boat. Luckily most job don't ask for references as part of the initial application.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
It's hard being impatient but it's even harder being impatient and a job seeker.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
If I'm trying to move into IT/networking positions (have a CCNA but no hands-on experience aside from technical and sales support) would it be wise to list my certifications above all else?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Just had my Google Hangout interview. Wow, those things are friggin' awkward. I'd be answering a question and you could tell he was reading something or looking around the room. That was round three, let's see if there's another round before the ole rejection email comes out!

He asked about start time; I know they need someone very soon so I said two weeks for notice plus a week to move (it's in another state). I do have some events in May that would be in my current location, but I figure it's better to talk about that after I have an offer.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
I just botched a pre-recorded interview, my first time ever hearing or dealing with such a thing. I was answering the very last question and completely blanked out in the middle of a sentence. I couldn't think of a single word, or had a single thought come to mind. It was like every thought process in my head came to a screeching halt. And then I hit end recording. For anyone who encounters a pre-recorded interview: do not ever do what I did. Literally anything is better than stopping the video mid sentence. Even though you're talking to no one, laughing and apologizing, then continuing, is much better. I just blew the only opportunity I was interested in, don't be me.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Cross posting this from COBOL as as this might be a better place for it. I'll be applying for some dev jobs internally (haven't told the manager anything yet, I don't think that's expected here really) coming from a LoB position that involved quite a bit of programming. How do you name-drop the stuff they're looking for in the resume? Usually I try to demonstrate specific outcomes, like revenue generated or whatever, but would something like this work if they want experience with scripting languages, SQL and geo data?

"Using Perl and T-SQL, developed automated processing of raw OpenStreetMap data into relational format for business usage"

Besides that being a very lucky one-off project fit for this position, would that be sufficient, or would it be better to also explain how big of a business impact that had?

Also, if they're looking for OO experience and high performance parallel algorithms and C++, the best thing I can throw there is a ray tracer I wrote after taking some online classes. Would it be appropriate to list it separately after the job experience and go into more details about the features that actually demonstrate the required elements, like so?

Ray tracing 3D renderer
  • A modular C++ object oriented design
  • Multithreading, KD-tree based acceleration structure, and SIMD support
  • Adaptive supersampling and soft shadows

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Chalets the Baka posted:

I just botched a pre-recorded interview, my first time ever hearing or dealing with such a thing. I was answering the very last question and completely blanked out in the middle of a sentence. I couldn't think of a single word, or had a single thought come to mind. It was like every thought process in my head came to a screeching halt.
Please talk to a neurologist, because I'm pretty sure you just had a petit mal seizure. (They're benign, but you should at least get a diagnosis.)

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
I appreciate the insinuation that I had a seizure and was not a massive idiot, but it was a question I hadn't prepared for and I was basically improvising, and too stressed to think on my feet. It was entirely my mistake.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Can anyone offer any advice?

I found a really great position that I think I am a good fit for. I noticed that on the job posting that the position's starting date was March 1st, I found the position on March 5th. It's a small fashion-business agency in New York (<100 employees) and I tried to get in touch with the main HR director. She was out of town on vacation but I was able to get in touch with the HR assistant.

She said she did not know whether or not the position was filled (HR office is in their main office and not Manhattan) and that the HR Director would be coming back on Monday (March 9). She told me to send my resume in and we would see. We chatted about my background a bit and I sent her my resume/cover letter.

This is her email (March 6) after I sent in my resume:

HR ASSISTANT posted:

Good morning [GOON],

Thank you for your application. I have printed it, and it is on [HR DIRECTOR’S] desk. She will be returning from vacation on Monday, however we have many interviews for other positions set up for early next week so I’m not sure she will be able to get to your application until later in the week.

I will keep you posted!

It is now Thursday, March 12 and I have not heard back from them. On one hand, I should be patient but on the other hand I am not even sure if the position was really filled 2 weeks ago or not. I tried calling the HR director yesterday to get clarification but no call back.

I am tempted to send the HR assistant this email right now:

me posted:

Good morning [HR ASSISTANT],

I just wanted to touch bases with you. I am still curious whether or not the Account Executive position was still available. I noticed that the job posting on the [WEBSITE] said that the starting date was March 1, 2015.

Last week, I remember you mentioning that you were unsure if it was filled or not. I am hearing back from other companies that I applied to but I am chiefly interested in this position.

I hope this message is well received, I just wanted to make sure that I am not declining interviews/offers at other companies if this position was already filled. If the position is still available then I am happy to wait and decline other offers, I just wanted to get a better sense of where things are.

Regards,

Bold is a lie. As soon as I found this position I stopped applying to other positions. Is this too pushy? I know I am incredibly impatient so I just wanted a neutral source to tell me whether or not this is a good or bad move. But in all honesty, I am not asking for anything great. I honestly am not sure if this position is filled or not and would just like to know if I am waiting for nothing or actually waiting for a good opportunity.

I did notice the same job posting on LinkedIn and it is still up. I still see I am still in the top 50% of candidates according to LinkedIn premium soooo... Hopefully this happens?

Maybe I am just a pest when applying but all of my past positions were attained by constantly calling and emailing until I got an answer. I remember after being hired at my old companies, I asked the HR lady who contacted them the most for the position and they always say me and said that I was hyper aggressive about it. I know that the general tone of the thread dissuades people from that but it has worked for me in the past and at this point I don't know if I am trying to convince myself of this or not. Either way, it's a hyper competitive position so I am not quite sure what to do anymore because it's a very well known agency in the fashion world.

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 12, 2015

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
That line only works if you've already been through the interview process and you're on the cusp of an offer. If you pull that card this early in the game, they're gonna be like "OK then." and move on, especially with the way they're communicating.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Alright fair enough, thanks.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

Enigma89 posted:

Can anyone offer any advice?

IMO, making yourself a nuisance doesn't get you a job faster in most cases, and in the cases where it does, I would say it's more likely that you're self-selecting for places that are more reactionary/disorganized.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

jkyuusai posted:

IMO, making yourself a nuisance doesn't get you a job faster in most cases, and in the cases where it does, I would say it's more likely that you're self-selecting for places that are more reactionary/disorganized.

Or for sales jobs, which hire using some combination of reading tea leaves and black voodoo magic.

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
I'm not sure how to parse this couple of email sentences from HR, about me meeting with the CSO of a biotech startup over coffee to talk about my background/the position etc. In the previous email agreeing to meet him I said that I wasn't sure about the dress code for meeting a CSO for coffee, and asked if a suit was too formal. The meeting will be in the office, not an external coffee house. If this was a medium or large biotech I'd know to just suit up, but a small startup biotech? I'm told the culture is different...

HR posted:

No need to wear a suit. Most of us are either in chinos or jeans but I guess a jacket/blazer is fine for making an impression. A tie is not necessary unless you feel strongly about it.

I feel like sentence 1 & 3 go together, but 2 conflicts and says suit up. Since I don't have a blazer, only a suit, I was thinking of going with dressier khakis, dress shirt, and tie to 'make an impression' without going full suit. It just seems like it would be goofy going the other way and wearing a suit but no tie.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
How does the second sentence conflict? They're basically saying wear chinos and a dress shirt with optional jacket and/or tie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Just wear a drat suit.