Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
The PS3 version of the DW8E: Free Alliances is out now, but the PS4 one isn't. Anyone know what is missing from the actual pay money version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I love this. How does it happen?

Is that Dong Zhuo and Dong Zhuo's baby?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I think you can choose what characters appear in events when you unlock them.

As for that 2nd pic, it was just a happy coincidence. I'm looking at the steam community wall and seeing all this silly stuff.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Yuan Shao wins!

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
So, I love how dumb the AI rulers can be. Started a fresh game on Hard. using one of my female CAWs, and after a small amount of messing around as a free officer (mainly to get the 5 year and negative virtue rewards), I join Liu Yao. And I instantly regret as he doesn't pay attention to troop numbers and just attacks regardless. After a few battles (most won, a few lost), I realised how quickly I was burning through troops and by the end didn't even have enough to mount a suitable defence when the other AIs took advantage of his incompetence. The final straw was when Lu Xun (who I was married to) was killed off in battle. So far, I left, wandered about for a bit and joined up with the AI that was owning the most land, and am finally glad to have a somewhat competent ruler as we easily crush the first invasion we had.

It's been a way to actually see things from the character's perspective for once, as all the stuff that led up to my current position had me thinking in character and going along with that rather than the optimal path. I sort of like going with the flow now. Seems this game is better for narrative experience, which makes sense with all the CAW options, and the Way of Life system.

EDIT: Figured out what I was doing wrong with the troop number issue, and holy poo poo I feel dumb. Just don't participate in every battle and defence mission and you'll have the time build up your troops quite easily. Even managed to make a few alliances and rely on my silly Intimidate skill to build up troops even further, so going from always losing troops to always gaining troops (waited until I had over 60k to be sure, but I'm sure in future I can get away with much less to be breaking even/in profit after a battle) was an exercise in ease. Now I just wish I could get a promotion so I could stop the AI targeting useless areas each month, would rather they target one leader and take his areas for good rather than going for multiple regions from different rulers.

Toothache fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 11, 2015

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
How do you get the transfer kingdoms titles?

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal

Largepotato posted:

How do you get the transfer kingdoms titles?

1. Join a kingdom first
2. Go to Personnel
3. Choose Transfer
4. Choose the kingdom to join
5. Repeat as needed

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So even after leaving five kingoms six years to attack me, I still never got the "fight three kingdoms at once" title. I guess next time I'm going to have to leave six. :argh:

edit: On the other hand, I did get my first rebellion :woop:

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 12, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Okay, is the Usurper title busted or something? I just used it and successfully joined another kingdom. I also overcame a huge soldier deficit (started with 10k against 48k, and got 12k in reinforcements), but I didn't get credit for that either. How are you supposed to get Great Authority if you can't get Usurper? Is it badly translated and you're supposed to do something else, like Secede?

edit: I even got the trophy for a betrayal, but not the title. WTH?

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 13, 2015

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Lotish posted:

Okay, is the Usurper title busted or something? I just used it and successfully joined another kingdom. I also overcame a huge soldier deficit (started with 10k against 48k, and got 12k in reinforcements), but I didn't get credit for that either. How are you supposed to get Great Authority if you can't get Usurper? Is it badly translated and you're supposed to do something else, like Secede?

edit: I even got the trophy for a betrayal, but not the title. WTH?

You need to perform Betray Rebel as one of Prefect, Strategist or Marshal.

Largepotato fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Mar 13, 2015

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is the DW:8E free version not on PS4? Everywhere I look people just mention the PS3 version and I don't see it on the playstation store.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Anyone planning on getting the new/old Bladestorm on Tuesday?

I liked the first game quite a bit and it's been so long I could play through it again with the graphics upgrade.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm tempted but there's no way I'm buying it til it's cheaper.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

pretty much every warriors game has had generous discounts on the ps4 so far so im just waiting till it goes half off like the others

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I needed the Rumors command for a Way of Life and invited Cao Ren. Next month ticks over and Cao Ren decides he doesn't like the Ruler and leaves.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I hired Yueying into my vagabond company three times and she ditched me the very next month each time.

So I married her so she wouldn't leave.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Serving a negative virtue ruler can be amusing.

So many officers get executed after battles. :gibs:

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Is there a way to set a way of life on a CAW without playing as them and finishing a whole game?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Kly posted:

Is there a way to set a way of life on a CAW without playing as them and finishing a whole game?

In one of the Japanese patches, yes. Maybe we'll get that someday? Who knows.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

lurksion posted:

This was and still is driving me crazy - is no one else encountering this? I pulled out CheatEngine and OBS and did some more testing and recorded it.

Here's a Free Mode, Hard, Level 55/55, no equipped items, ending up with a defense stat of 616:
https://gfycat.com/MildBleakGazelle
Just sitting there and taking that no problem. I then reduced my defense to 401 (this was the breakpoint) and suddenly:
https://gfycat.com/EducatedSickDachshund
Also at some point between 401 and 616, some of the charge attacks (such as the knockup that does nothing in the first video) start having an effect. This also is affected by attack/defense buffs on the enemy and you, as well as the weapon triangle - advantage or even would need even lower defense to be knocked around.

So if I'm not being flinched/interrupted by attacks, I can get off any attack string of my choice at any time, and run away from any dangerous attack at will.

Is no one else seeing this?
:spergin:

I went and did something about this. This a cheatengine table that makes you always vulnerable to flinch/stun/knockbacks in DW8E
http://pastebin.com/D4AV4NGL

I have no idea why I spent an evening stepping through compiled assembly code to do this instead of something productive.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 15, 2015

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Kly posted:

If you have a CAW that already has a WOL you want, you can also copy them and edit the copy. They'll keep the WOL.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Another list of Ways of Life requirements I came across.

http://www.trueachievements.com/a198093/many-ways-to-live-achievement.htm?showguides=1

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Still salty that the Usurper title, which says

quote:

Perform 1 betrayal(s)

actually requires rebellion.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Silly CAW units popping up little rebellions all over the place.

So far I've executed the majority of the teen titans and the final fantasy 10 cast. It's kinda funny to have tidus begging me to join my kingdom after I executed yuna and everyone else in the game that they put in.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Guo Jia executing all the ladies. :commissar:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

The PS3 version of the DW8E: Free Alliances is out now, but the PS4 one isn't. Anyone know what is missing from the actual pay money version?

I have been playing around with it for a bit. It seems to only allow you to edit custom characters and play them in free mode battles. No empire mode, or even the gallery. I couldn't tell you if the character editor is limited, but it sure feels that way. There are only a handful of costume options. There are a decent number of weapons but it doesn't seem like all of them, but once again I have no idea I haven't play a Dynasty Warriors game since 4:XL.

As a demo it is doing it's job quite well. There's just enough content that I can play a good number of battles but the massive number of scenarios/characters/etc in the paid games is quite tempting. A question, if I was to get Dynasty Warrior: XL 8 does that include all the content from the base DW8? I remember the PS2 XL games were semi "stand-alone" and you had to do some disk swapping wizardry to play them both together. The price of DW:XL 8 seems to indicate that it includes the entire thing but I can't be sure.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
DW8XL: Complete Edition is the base game + the XL expansion on PS4 and PC.

It's standalone on other systems.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mokinokaro posted:

DW8XL: Complete Edition is the base game + the XL expansion on PS4 and PC.

It's standalone on other systems.

I have a PS3 :( Well that makes that decision easier. I was on the fence about Warriors Orochi 3 vs Dynasty Warriors 8. It was a hard decision when DW8:XL seemed like it included everything at $40 but it turns out its actually $70. drat Koei really knows how to milk it.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

I know I keep sperging about knockbacks and flinch in DW8E, but it really really makes a difference in difficulty. Currently doing a chaos playthrough with the only bonus points being spent on +10 levels (so no items/weapons/etc brought in).

Past the very early game wall of poo poo weapons (so past the first 20 turns or so to grind out a reasonable weapon), things ended up moving at an good difficulty for me, where I would actually have to play carefully to try to minimize dying, but even so still dying once or twice per battle due to being caught out in an animation and juggled. This was really fun for 100 turns or so.

Now it's approximately turn 120 and in the last few turns I've passed the tipping point where my defense is high enough that I almost never get flinched. This is at ~level 55 with 848 HP / 967 Defense (with Phoenix Wing/Chimera Shell equipped). Computer officers levels spread is between level 30 to the low 40s.

Now I can just not give a poo poo, dive into a crowd, pull off whatever move I want, and kill or knock everyone back. So what if I lost half my HP doing that? Everything is now dead or knocked down, and I can just mop up the remnants. Where before, doing that was incredibly dangerous because you'd not kill anything and still lose half your HP, or just be straight juggled to death.

If I were playing on Hard, I get to this point at around turn 20-30 with something like 500-600 defense. On Normal, this happens almost immediately.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
So I've played a couple of Musou games, but never one of the Empire games. I started feeling the need to slaughter thousands of random soldiers the other day and picked up DW8E

oh god help me I have no idea what I'm doing what the gently caress is a way of life

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I have been playing the heck out of Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires. This is the first current gen DW game I've played since DW4:XL. I have to say this series has in many ways not changed at all from the PS2 games I remember. The weapons seem to have become a lot more fantastic; most people in the PS2 games had fairly realistic spears or swords. Half the characters in DW:8 have weird gimmick weapons like steam punk machine guns and magic, which is pretty cool. There also seems to be a lot more death and random mooks around. I got up to 1,000 kills in almost no time and I remember that being a pretty impressive feat in older games.

The Empire Mode and the officer editor are pretty decent. I like the ability to create custom factions and scenarios. I made a scenario where newly crowned Roman Emperor Diocletian invades China :hist101: It's historically possible :colbert: The Empire Mode isn't as detailed as something like Crusader Kings or Romance of Three Kingdoms but its enough to scratch that itch. I wouldn't want too much anyway; it would get in the way of the killing!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Drakenel posted:

Silly CAW units popping up little rebellions all over the place.

So far I've executed the majority of the teen titans and the final fantasy 10 cast. It's kinda funny to have tidus begging me to join my kingdom after I executed yuna and everyone else in the game that they put in.

Do CAW units just pop up randomly, or do they only come from characters made by people on your friends list?

I like the idea of encountering random CAW units, but I don't think I have any friends who play DW games.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I think the higher death counts are almost exclusively the result of better hardware letting more mans onto the screen at once without them getting any smarter.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

So I've played a couple of Musou games, but never one of the Empire games. I started feeling the need to slaughter thousands of random soldiers the other day and picked up DW8E

oh god help me I have no idea what I'm doing what the gently caress is a way of life

A Way of Life is largely a barometer of how you play the game. Is your first quest to steal poo poo or kill animals. Way of Life based on that! Do you like to use the Rest command to kill time? Way of Life! Have you gotten all the Resourceful titles and Usurper? Way of Life!

Some ways of life give you tactics, like Fiendish Beast gives you Ultimate Might, which lets you sacrifice soldiers for a massive damage and defense buff while turning Friendly Fire on. Little Conqueror gives you Lightning Speed, which increases attack and speed by like 40% and is insanely fun.

This is a pretty detailed list linked earlier that includes the tier of a Way of Life. You can only go up in tier, so once you get a tier 15 WoT, you can't get any other tier 1 through 15 WoTs.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 16, 2015

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

I think the higher death counts are almost exclusively the result of better hardware letting more mans onto the screen at once without them getting any smarter.
Speaking of letting more dudes on the screen, has anyone noticed PC DW8E seems to have a lot more unit pop than DW8XLCE (which had almost none)?

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

lurksion posted:

Speaking of letting more dudes on the screen, has anyone noticed PC DW8E seems to have a lot more unit pop than DW8XLCE (which had almost none)?

Yes, also the bizarre slowdown on the Chibi map, which wasn't there on DW8XLCE. It's like the game is less optimized for some reason.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Do CAW units just pop up randomly, or do they only come from characters made by people on your friends list?

I like the idea of encountering random CAW units, but I don't think I have any friends who play DW games.

I have no one on my friends list who play DW8 and I routinely drown in CAW units. It'd be more awesome if they weren't usually guys named "New Officer" who have custom midget soldiers.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lotish posted:

A Way of Life is largely a barometer of how you play the game. Is your first quest to steal poo poo or kill animals. Way of Life based on that! Do you like to use the Rest command to kill time? Way of Life! Have you gotten all the Resourceful titles and Usurper? Way of Life!

Some ways of life give you tactics, like Fiendish Beast gives you Ultimate Might, which lets you sacrifice soldiers for a massive damage and defense buff while turning Friendly Fire on. Little Conqueror gives you Lightning Speed, which increases attack and speed by like 40% and is insanely fun.

This is a pretty detailed list linked earlier that includes the tier of a Way of Life. You can only go up in tier, so once you get a tier 15 WoT, you can't get any other tier 1 through 15 WoTs.

This is really cool. Thanks!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Airspace posted:

I have no one on my friends list who play DW8 and I routinely drown in CAW units. It'd be more awesome if they weren't usually guys named "New Officer" who have custom midget soldiers.

I freely admit to being guilty of midget soldiers. Just the idea of some other player somewhere having to fight them makes me laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Airspace posted:

As long as you have the settings turned on (they're on by default) you'll basically get whatever CAWs or Units other people on Steam have made.

It is rather hit and miss, but the nice thing is that you can copy any CAWs you really like to your game so that you can have them in your future playthroughs.