Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Pterry's Twitter posted:

AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER.

Terry took Death’s arm and followed him through the doors and on to the black desert under the endless night.

The End.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Teared up this morning. I'm going to miss him.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Goddammit.

Every time I saw some new Alzheimer's treatment hitting the news I was holding out hope for him, even though I knew it was likely futile.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Oh, no. This is far, far too soon. I'm getting teary.

I hope it was like getting to see an old friend.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Oh man :(

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

drat it. RIP

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Literally just saw this, worst news I have had in a while, sad to see him go.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
This sucks :( RIP The world is worse off without you.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
It's going to be difficult to read the final novel now, I think it was supposed to come out soon.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This is terrible.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Wow, this caught me off guard :(

In his honor I'm finally going to finish all the Discworld books.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
What a bummer. RIP :(

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Oh god. :smith:
At least he went peacefully. :unsmith:

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
RIP. You will be sorely missed :(

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
RIP :smith:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Pesky Splinter posted:

Oh god. :smith:
At least he went peacefully. :unsmith:
It's Alzheimer's so you can't really be sure of that, unfortunately.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Goddamn it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Terry Pratchett is gone but...

WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Well, drat. Good timing on my part... I really should have hurried my reading up! For some reason I expected to have all the time in the world to catch up and keep up with the current releases. Now there's really nothing but the back catalogue. :( Well, we parted on a really good note, though.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

It's Alzheimer's so you can't really be sure of that, unfortunately.

Yeah, I guess...for his sake I hope it was though. :smith:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Terry Pratchett is gone but...

WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN

I was wibbling, but this broke me.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I first found one of his books in a guest room of the Hotel I grew up in when I was only six, they captivated me then and I've kept reading and enjoying them my entire life. I'm thankful for all he gave us and hope he's found some peace now.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The worst of news. :(

RIP Terry

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I was just reading this this morning.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/mar/12/alzheimers-breakthrough-as-ultrasound-successfully-treats-disease-in-mice

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/mar/12/terry-pratchett-author-of-the-discworld-series-dies-aged-66

quote:

He passed away in his home, with his cat sleeping on his bed surrounded by his family on Thursday.

:unsmith:

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
My cousin lent me "The colour of magic" and it kicked off my love of reading that has continued ever since, hundreds of books later, Discworld is still like an old friend to me and I reread the books a lot and will continue to do so.
For putting me onto a hobby I will continue for the rest of my life I thank Terry Pratchett.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Far too soon.:(
RIP

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It'll be one of my biggest regrets in life to have been one book away from reading the entire Discworld series before Sir Terry left us. Seven years since I first picked up Thud! on a lark...rest in peace, Sir Terry.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
So utterly sad.

My Dad lent me The Colour of Magic when I was thirteen, 25 years ago. So much of everything I have come to love came from that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kanonvandekempen posted:

It's going to be difficult to read the final novel now, I think it was supposed to come out soon.

Discounting diaries, there's two more books to come. The fifth Tiffany Aching novel is the last one he finished - I'm not sure when that comes out - and the fourth Long Earth novel is out in June.

Pterry passed at home with his family, which is good. He'd made it clear that he'd go to Switzerland if he fell apart too much to bear, so it was just the physical side that took him away. He was getting frail when I last saw him in 2012, but when he sent his apologies for absence to the Discworld Convention in August he was still cheerful and mentally only very slightly looser than he had been before the PCA.

In a way I'm glad he's gone now. He'd lost most of his vision and he probably wouldn't have been able to write much more. At least this way his life can be defined by his writing, rather than him having time to watch everything else slip away from him too.

Spigs
Jun 5, 2008
“No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away...” -Reaper Man

RIP Sir Terry Pratchett

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
At some point I was prepared for this news. At some point i was expecting this would hit and hit me hard. At some point I was expecting to see this go with a heavy heart.

Man oh man I was not prepared for this news.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

This was basically me as a kid. The colour of magic was the best thing I ever decided to randomly pick up one day, RIP the guy who brought thousands of hours of joy into people's lives.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Keep the quotes coming. I guess my brain is not good for this thing, or it's because I'm only on my first readthrough of the series, but I can never remember any good quotes, and they kind of make it all better.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
All the little angels rise up, rise up!
All the little angels rise up high!

Rest in peace, Sir Terry.

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
Ook.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Ah bollocks, I remember meeting him at a book signing in Chester ~15 years ago, had to get permission to get out of school to go see him. The queue was massive and he was only meant to be there for an hour or so, but he made a point of sticking around until everyone who'd turned out for him got their signing so was there way longer than that. :(

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Sir Terry may be gone, but nevertheless...the Turtle moves!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I really hoped this wouldn't happen so soon and that he still had many years left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Saw 44 new posts, knew exactly what was up. Gotta be honest, I was half expecting it every time this thread had new posts.

:(