Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007
olof 24-6 hahaha does Na'Vi even count as a pro team anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
There are legit ways to run a tournament within the time constraints that would be decent alternatives. For example, winner/loser bracket, or a single bracket with byes for the winning teams from the groups, while the losers of the groups eliminate each other in bo3. Wouldn't even add that much time.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

so is cobble a t map now?

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Get your pro racing gamer chair branded to support your favourite teams:
http://www.dxracer.net/art81_dxracer-chair-fnatic-edition.html

e: lower the sensitivity of the hydraulic lift for best results. also the back rates can be adjusted up to 150°

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Jeza posted:

There are legit ways to run a tournament within the time constraints that would be decent alternatives. For example, winner/loser bracket, or a single bracket with byes for the winning teams from the groups, while the losers of the groups eliminate each other in bo3. Wouldn't even add that much time.

The point of the group stages is to eliminate teams, not have a giant exhibition pre-tournament

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
The reason why ESL/Valve use GSL BO1 group stages is that they want to stream as most of the matches. Something like 2 big round robin groups would be a lot better for the players (7 matches for each team), but then they could stream just a small fraction of the group stages.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Smol posted:

Something like 2 big round robin groups would be a lot better for the players

how is making everyone play a bazillion games better for the players exactly? you mean better for the players who aren't consistent?

there's really no reason counter-strike needs to be bo3, i get the appeal for finals and stuff like that but news flash, the teams play two halves on the same map. tough cookies if you're "really really good" but still get owned two games in your groupstage

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I seriously want those pins.

They should sell those online.

JacksonAces
Aug 13, 2012

Ahdinko posted:

Get your pro racing gamer chair branded to support your favourite teams:
http://www.dxracer.net/art81_dxracer-chair-fnatic-edition.html

e: lower the sensitivity of the hydraulic lift for best results. also the back rates can be adjusted up to 150°

Yeah, but is the swivel rate 128 tick?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

down with slavery posted:

how is making everyone play a bazillion games better for the players exactly? you mean better for the players who aren't consistent?

there's really no reason counter-strike needs to be bo3, i get the appeal for finals and stuff like that but news flash, the teams play two halves on the same map. tough cookies if you're "really really good" but still get owned two games in your groupstage

It would make sense if there was no variance, but there is drastic variance and luck involved in a CS match. The better team does not always win. The only reason bo3 exists is because of that fact. Like I said earlier, the winner of The International, who went on to convincingly win all their bo3 and bo5 matches, did inexplicably poorly in the bo1 group stage. If the tournament did not have a bunch of last-chance saloon provisions, the best team in the world at the time (p much indisputably) would have been eliminated before they even got to show off their stuff.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Jeza posted:

It would make sense if there was no variance, but there is drastic variance and luck involved in a CS match. The better team does not always win. The only reason bo3 exists is because of that fact. Like I said earlier, the winner of The International, who went on to convincingly win all their bo3 and bo5 matches, did inexplicably poorly in the bo1 group stage. If the tournament did not have a bunch of last-chance saloon provisions, the best team in the world at the time (p much indisputably) would have been eliminated before they even got to show off their stuff.

there's no variance worth mentioning in cs:go, hth

honestly I'd say the same about dota, they just play lots of games to please the fans, but there's nothing to suggest that losing a 30 round game in counter-strike has anything to do with "random"

should they not cut golfers after the first two days?

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 12, 2015

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

there's no variance worth mentioning in cs:go, hth

Literally the biggest troll statement you've ever made. Pistol round alone is a huge source of variance and surely you'll admit that the winner of pistol round does not come down to whichever team is more skilled, there's a ton of randomness with pistols in this game. The best team does not always win a BO1. The best team doesn't always win a BO3 either, but it's a hell of a lot better a measure.

FWIW I think that the group stages are okay as-is, there aren't enough elite-tier teams in CSGO to justify spending more time on it. Most often the teams that deserve to make it through to playoffs do make it, and the teams that don't deserve it don't make it. If all 16 teams were closer in terms of skill it'd be a problem, but I don't think anyone's making an argument that Titan got snubbed.

real dilemma fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 12, 2015

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

real dilemma posted:

Literally the biggest troll statement you've ever made. Pistol round alone is a huge source of variance and surely you'll admit that the winner of pistol round does not come down to whichever team is more skilled, there's a ton of randomness with pistols in this game. The best team does not always win a BO1. The best team doesn't always win a BO3 either, but it's a hell of a lot better a measure.

haha no I actually completely disagree that pistol round is a "huge source of variance"

put it this way, put titan against a random mm team of DMGs, they play 10 pistol rounds, who do you think wins more? how many "random" wins do you think a poo poo team can pull off exactly?

and yes, if you're a half decent professional team, you better practice the hell out of pistols, because those rounds are the most important in the game. nothing about the pistols involves "luck", if anything the pistol rounds have LESS randomness than other rounds because everyone's starting on incredibly even footing

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011
boring troll boring troll BORING TROLL

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!
I fully expect this thread to recognise vox as the superior team if they win this bo1

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
also just a heads up but the point of a tournament isn't to determine which team is the best, it's a weeklong event where professional teams play against each other for a prize. you don't see tiger woods asking for extra rounds when the masters comes along. part of the FUN of the tournament is upsets, and good teams playing lovely and getting knocked out. we're not talking single elimination here, we're talking about a group stage where you play multiple games to decide whether you move on

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

put it this way, put titan against a random mm team of DMGs, they play 10 pistol rounds, who do you think wins more? how many "random" wins do you think a poo poo team can pull off exactly?

Except that's not the question; that's a stupid comparison. The real question is how many pistol rounds will Vox Eminor take off of fnatic? Fnatic is quite obviously the better team, but will they win a number of pistol rounds equal to the skill gap between the two teams? Will they win the same percentage of pistol rounds as they will gun rounds? I don't think so. Most pros don't think so.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

real dilemma posted:

Except that's not the question; that's a stupid comparison. The real question is how many pistol rounds will Vox Eminor take off of fnatic? Fnatic is quite obviously the better team, but will they win a number of pistol rounds equal to the skill gap between the two teams? Will they win the same percentage of pistol rounds as they will gun rounds? I don't think so. Most pros don't think so.

Well if they take less than 50% they should lose at least 1 pistol round which should put it in fnatics favor (if they are truly the superior "gun" team). If fnatic loses two pistol rounds to Vox Eminor, Vox is the better team that day and shouldn't have to beat them on 2 maps to please a bunch of idiot fans of a professional counterstrike team.

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 12, 2015

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Coming soon, BO3 Football World Cup

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
haha titan.

i havent caught any of their games for a while before this but i think maybe they should split up

halwain
May 31, 2011
Maybe Navi will loose against vox and dropp out aswell :allears: .

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Anybody watching through GOTV able to get the casters' audio? I have it set to On, but I can't hear anything.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

DarkMalfunction posted:

I was just wondering: is the 7ms grey-to-grey of my monitor going to adversely affect my CSGO experience? Also bear in mind it's an IPS panel; I got it on the cheap, and am debating trading it in for an actual gaming monitor, if it's worth it.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews.htm

This is about the only website that can tell you how non poo poo a monitor is. Most of the info is overkill, you can just read the summary sections.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Lester Shy posted:

Anybody watching through GOTV able to get the casters' audio? I have it set to On, but I can't hear anything.

I read on reddit that the casters themselves (or their sound engineers) have been screwing up settings for broadcasting.

Burgo
Jun 1, 2008

http://www.twitch.tv/esl_pov2 - vox pov/comms

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
'diggity' = truck side/speedway on inferno in Australian :shepface:

Burgo
Jun 1, 2008

mcvey posted:

you bad calls make me sad mcvey.

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007
CLG about to run it back from down 13-2 on nuke

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Burgo posted:

you bad calls make me sad mcvey.

diggity
    \
  :quagmire:

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010

real dilemma posted:

CLG about to run it back from down 13-2 on nuke

There is no variance in nuke scorelines.

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!

mcvey posted:

"deagle" = tec9 btw

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

drat you HR

Waltchelg
Jan 21, 2009

it's time for CLG to beat NIP. Dreams can come true can't they??

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

That is some pure loving heart right there. I love you CLG

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

Waltchelg posted:

it's time for CLG to beat NIP. Dreams can come true can't they??

It isn't too hard to envision a world in which 2 NA teams make the playoffs of this major...

quote this later when neither do

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Lester Shy posted:

If you get a drop from one of these streams, how do you know? Do you just get a notification the next time you load up the game?

Yes, you get the "1 new item in inventory" next time you boot up csgo, there isn't any notification via twitch afaik. I got one from the last esl one cologne semifinal and I didn't notice until days later when I actually played the game.

Ps if you get one from the cobblestone collection like I did SIT ON IT for a good long while before you sell. It was like $20 when it dropped, I eventually sold mine for $60 steambux, but the peak for it got up to like $100. All for a super low chance at a dragon lore (people are dumb). There's even more demand this time around and those packages are startin at around $40.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
The masters is played over 4 rounds, and has prelim rounds!!!

The world cup has an extensive qualifying stage!!!!!!!!

Burgo
Jun 1, 2008

kcer posted:

The masters is played over 4 rounds, and has prelim rounds!!!

The world cup has an extensive qualifying stage!!!!!!!!

Which world cup?

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Burgo posted:

Which world cup?

There's more than one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bpower
Feb 19, 2011