Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

weekly font posted:

One of my favorite parts of Housebound was how not impressed the main character was by the supernatural.

I was debating trying to create a gif of her punching the doll repeatedly in the face then throwing it in the fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Violator posted:

The DVD's commentary was horrific, though, and the worst I've ever heard.

Not a horror but it'd take a lot for this to be worse than the Rules of Attraction DVD commentary by Carrot Top, who has no connection whatsoever with the film and cracks up at a scene in which a girl is raped within the first ten minutes.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

weekly font posted:

One of my favorite parts of Housebound was how not impressed the main character was by the supernatural.

I watched this the other day and thought it was great. I wish more movies were fun like Housebound.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I was working out of town today and finished up a few hours early so rather than driving home and hitting the inevitable traffic at that timeI checked out listings at the nearby cinema, turns out I was in perfect time for "It Follows".
It's definitely a solid movie, the premise reminded me of final destination with its "imminent death that can be passed on/skipped over" theme.
The score was excellent and the sense of dread built throughout the film was also pretty well done I kind off wouldn't mind seeing the film franchises just to see how ridiculous they can get.
I couldn't help but think the "curse" could be used as a tool for vigilantism etc which could be an interesting theme to explore.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

It Follows discussion:

I'm pretty sure there's a whole different layer to It Follows than the "STI" metaphor that sits on the surface. In my reading the curse was reaching adulthood, and leaving the innocence of childhood behind. There's a number of things throughout the movie that back that up: Her boyfriend talking about wishing he was a kid in their "game", her speech about romanticizing growing older right after they have sex, the fact that adults played essentially no role in the film (they can't conceive of the struggle that the adolescents are going through), the fact that sex is often considered the passage into adulthood, I'm pretty sure even some of the quotes from The Idiot backs it up, but I'm not sure. I also read another interpretation that it's about the awareness of death, which seems plausible.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
My favorite dick ripping scene was in that "banned" Bigfoot movie, I think it's Night of the Demon. The Bigfoot just reaches over and yanks some dude's twigs and berries right off.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?

Ehud posted:

I watched this the other day and thought it was great. I wish more movies were fun like Housebound.

I made a pretty interesting observation in the movie that I posted earlier in this thread:

The part where Kylie was explaining the history and value of the brooch to Amos. How would she know so much about this?

Earlier in the film, we see her sitting in front of the television watching Antique Roadshow. A television show that has people bringing in old items to have an appraiser estimate its value.

I thought that was pretty great.

xzoto1 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 10, 2015

Violator
May 15, 2003

ServoMST3K posted:

My favorite dick ripping scene was in that "banned" Bigfoot movie, I think it's Night of the Demon. The Bigfoot just reaches over and yanks some dude's twigs and berries right off.

I looked this up because the only Night of the Demon I remember is the 1957 classic. This Night of the Demon was released in 1980. They straight up show the castration right in the trailer. You see the dude's junk, Bigfoot grab it, and then the guy walking around with blood gushy from his empty crotch. And that's just the trailer!

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
You know a movie is amazing when removal of genitals is far and away the best part.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Not a horror movie, but the best dick ripping scene on film is the Sonny Chiba movie The Street Fighter.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

In VHS when the dick got ripped my friend elatedly exclaimed, "Was that his dick?".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Our Robocop Remake.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015

trip9 posted:

It Follows discussion:

I'm pretty sure there's a whole different layer to It Follows than the "STI" metaphor that sits on the surface. In my reading the curse was reaching adulthood, and leaving the innocence of childhood behind. There's a number of things throughout the movie that back that up: Her boyfriend talking about wishing he was a kid in their "game", her speech about romanticizing growing older right after they have sex, the fact that adults played essentially no role in the film (they can't conceive of the struggle that the adolescents are going through), the fact that sex is often considered the passage into adulthood, I'm pretty sure even some of the quotes from The Idiot backs it up, but I'm not sure. I also read another interpretation that it's about the awareness of death, which seems plausible.

This. In fact, both of these, because really they are the same reading, sex is death, etc. The STI thing isn't really something supported by the film itself, its just what a lot of people (including myself) assumed the film would be getting at based on the synopsis. It's got a lot more going on under the surface than it initially seems, which is great.

We had a lot of fun discussing weird ways that you could try to deal with the situation on the way home from the screening. Like what happens in a threesome or an orgy? Could you just have a prostitute on retainer? What happens if you fly to Amsterdam, have sex in the Red Light District then fly home the next day? Confronting your issues seems like the least effective way of dealing with this when there is all this avoidance up for grabs.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
You now can (and definitely should) buy It Follows' soundtrack. It's awesome!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Whatever I thought about It Follows, I would certainly agree that the soundtrack loving owns and would probably be the best soundtrack I heard last year if The Guest hadn't come out.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I can't find It Follows showtimes anywhere near me. Limited releases are dumb.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Ehud posted:

I can't find It Follows showtimes anywhere near me. Limited releases are dumb.

Their website only lists Jacksonville and Gainesville for the entire state.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Brain Curry posted:

Their website only lists Jacksonville and Gainesville for the entire state.

I actually live in SC now :shobon:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 197 days!

CelticPredator posted:

Alien is the best.

Although, I wish I could've found it scary at any point in my life. That Alien was just too awesome to me as a kid. :( I had a little Alien doll I would bring to stores. That gross thing was my teddy bear.

This is somehow so perfect.

Also, to do a little free association, I now want to see a story in which some kid does a vision quest thing and his spirit guide is an Alien. Some good chances to play with symbolism and so forth there.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

After watching It Follows I started getting cool ideas for short films in my head. I like the idea of someone who has been cursed but has learned how to deal with it and structures their life around it, almost like a disease or disability, but with a weirder set of things that have to be done to "appease" the curse.

Speaking of curses, I just watched Noroi last night and quite enjoyed it. I checked out other movies the director made and they seem to be pretty all over the map though :-/

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Is It Follows going to be a wide release?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

trip9 posted:

After watching It Follows I started getting cool ideas for short films in my head. I like the idea of someone who has been cursed but has learned how to deal with it and structures their life around it, almost like a disease or disability, but with a weirder set of things that have to be done to "appease" the curse.

Speaking of curses, I just watched Noroi last night and quite enjoyed it. I checked out other movies the director made and they seem to be pretty all over the map though :-/

Watch Occult. Occult owns really hard. Shirome is also alright.

e: Carved is not great at all, but I'm fond of it for reasons I don't really understand.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

His j horrors are pretty generic but done well, if you're not expecting anything special worth a watch. I get the impression the director is just a hired gun for horror that due to his extensive experience in found footage is very good with them

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hodgepodge posted:

This is somehow so perfect.

Also, to do a little free association, I now want to see a story in which some kid does a vision quest thing and his spirit guide is an Alien. Some good chances to play with symbolism and so forth there.

I want to make this movie. For real. Holy poo poo. I mean, I'm not quite sure what the symbolism of a giant slimy phallic monster would have with the kid, (I used to call it a 'banana head') but I'd like to look into it.

And this was the alien I had. That Predator ended up at the bottom of a pool and I didn't get it because I had no idea what a Predator was at the time. :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvgKrZpM_tE

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 11, 2015

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 197 days!
I was thinking the symbolism angle would be that the "vision quest" is an (in many cases attempt to appropriate) an indigenous way of representing the world, so the contrast between what is being attempted and the result being a symbol steeped in postmodern popular culture gives you a lot to work with.

In my head, the hippies/elders have no idea what to make of this kid coming back with an eldrich space horror as his spirit and after much plot it turns out it means he's a talented filmmaker.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 12, 2015

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
You almost have a Giger vision quest in the video game Dark Seed and its sequel, only instead of a vision quest it's a floundering and instead of a hopeful child it's a soggy white guy.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Shneak posted:

Is It Follows going to be a wide release?

Doesn't seem to be too wide, as it's not playing in my city at all. It's supposed to be up on VOD on Friday though, so I guess I'll just have to figure that out instead.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
In quest of finding some new (to me), good obscure horror movies, let's talk about your favorites that you feel are 'under-the -radar' . I'll start;

Deathwatch I went into this blind when it was on FearNet years and years ago and haven't forgot about it. The feature is a military horror film thay focuses on an unfortunate bunch of British soldiers that become lost and stranded in a bunker behind German lines. The movie is low budget and the acting is so-so but the atmosphere is tense and horror is effective.

Phenomena - I came across this during a spree of giallo movie watching. A young Jennifer Connelly plays a girl that sort-of communicates with insects and befriends a crippled, poor accent-having Donald Plesance. I think having Argento as the director is what classifies this as a giallo, but its really more of a horror in the fashion of Sleepaway Camp This movie is just loving nuts and rocks.

Ghost Stories for Christmas - A collection of M.R. James stories made for TV by the BBC. Some features are better than others, but each have an isolated atmosphere that really has a way of setting you on edge. Quite a few of these were remade in late 2000's (once again by BBC) but the original Lawrence Gordon Clark directed series is still superior.

So, let's hear your lesser known favorites that I should be watching

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Ghost Stories For Christmas rules.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
It's worth it for Whistle & I'll Come to You alone.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yep. It takes a tangent from the story and gets fussy, and the actual supernatural stuff is really chilling.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

All the Christmas Ghost Stories own but I really liked Lost Hearts, I thought that was a super creepy one.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Deathwatch and Phenomena are both excellent too. I blind bought Deathwatch when it first came out and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. There's a few recognizable English actors in it as well, if you're familiar with Guy Ritchie and Edgar Wright movies.

Also, it's not really a spoiler at all, but the fact that there's a helper monkey in Phenomena is loving amazing. I rewatched that movie recently with my roommate and completely forgot about it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I can't bring myself to see Deathwatch because I'll just be thinking about Madworld the whole time.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

trip9 posted:

That's because each of his films (that I've seen) is in a different genre.

Noroi is straight docu-horror along the lines of Chichibu Demon or Lake Mungo. Occult is a darkly comedic science fiction film that plays around with layers of reality, Shirome is a feature-length hidden camera prank show, and Cult is pretty much Ghostbusters in tone.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

reality_groove posted:

I watched It Follows last Friday. I apprecaited it for what it was but I'm not sure if it's quite worthy of the amount of hype being thrown its way. It has a beautiful suburban Halloween vibe with a Ring-esque mystery, but I grew frustrated with the pacing of the second half of the film and lost some engagement with the characters.

On the plus side it absolutely nails the tonal dread of an oncoming doom, it has an excellent score and some interesting visuals. However, its focus on ambiguity and aesthetic metaphor meant I ended up not caring about the monster or the kids.

Would be interested to know what others thought about it.

I said in the general thread that I wish the last third was as good as the first two. I feel that once Gregg dies the movie doesn't quite know what to do. What I will say was that as noted, there's more going on than an STI metaphor which is great, but it doesn't quite land it and I think the reason why is because the 'IT' is so visceral. It might work better if we didn't see anyone die and so for me, the loss of innocence subtext, or the idea that it's about the awareness of death, doesn't quite work.

However, it's beautifully composed and it has some killer scenes. The execution of mounting dread is fantastic, I just wish they had a way of nailing the end. I think the actual last 5 minutes work just fine, but the pool climax is just not that exciting.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Dr.Caligari posted:

In quest of finding some new (to me), good obscure horror movies, let's talk about your favorites that you feel are 'under-the -radar'

Messiah of Evil - a movie I constantly pimp. It's amazing. Just watch this movie theatre sequence. The only setup you need is that something odd is going on with the town this person is at. The whole movie is like this and is just a fantastic horror film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2ayfmkeJGc

Intruder - this is a fun slasher to watch with friends that doesn't get enough love. NOTE: I know there are lots of Bruce Campbell fans here and YES he is in this, but it's for about 20 seconds at the end. The advertising is misleading, but the movie itself holds up. Another note on this one is that it's a generic slasher. I love generic slasher films and I know that many people find the subgenre formulaic and boring. If you're one of those people, this film will not change your mind. If you love the subgenre like I do, this one is really fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knG2XP8tRjM

Pieces - I would watch this movie right now if you want to. It's barely "under the radar" I think but worth a mention because it is so great. If I was told that I could only choose three horror films to watch over and over for the rest of my life, I would instantly put PIECES in the pile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCCxGQetNrk

The Witch Who Came From The Sea - recommended if you're up for a really weird horror film. Really weird. It is rewarding though if you stick it out and are willing to surrender to the weirdness.

The Erotic Rites of Frankenstein - is also good, if you go into it understanding and acknowledging that you're about to experience a horror film through Jess Franco. Being a Franco film almost instantly places it into the "under the radar" status. I would advise against starting with Franco here though.

It got weird. Sorry. Those are all great under the radar films though in my opinion at least. Long time posters in this thread will be shocked at my restraint in not recommending a certain film with Warren Oates and Peter Fonda in it.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 12, 2015

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Ariza posted:

Doesn't seem to be too wide, as it's not playing in my city at all. It's supposed to be up on VOD on Friday though, so I guess I'll just have to figure that out instead.

This Friday, the 13th, or the 27th?

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?

Skyscraper posted:

This Friday, the 13th, or the 27th?

That's what I'm wondering... I'm reading conflicting dates on the web. It'd be pretty sweet if it was on VOD tomorrow but I have a feeling it wont be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

xzoto1 posted:

That's what I'm wondering... I'm reading conflicting dates on the web. It'd be pretty sweet if it was on VOD tomorrow but I have a feeling it wont be.

These are my thoughts exactly.

I actually reserved some vacation time off from work to see this movie, and so I'm really kind of disappointed to find out that I'd have to drive for 5-6 hours to see it tomorrow.