Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Hadlock posted:

Check your reading comprehension?

Ugh, sorry. Feeling pretty crap this morning, should have read more carefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Hadlock posted:

i5 has four logical cores, i7 has either four logical cores (dual physical core) or eight (quad physical core)

Ahhh my bad, reading comprehension is hard

e: I'm surprised that none of the new macbooks have iris pro, I kinda have to wonder if going from 5200 to 6100 will be a downgrade.

Hace fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 11, 2015

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I'm trying to decide between 3 Chromebooks. Here's what I have so far based on internet detective work:

Toshiba Chromebook 2:
+13" screen
+Best screen quality of any Chromebook
+Good sound
-Only comes with Celeron processor and 16GB SSD

Dell Chromebook 11:
+Seems like best overall build quality
+Option of an i3 processor
-Only offered with 16GB SSD

Acer C720:
+Option of an i3 processor and 32GB SSD
+Battery life
-Reports of issues with build quality

Is my info accurate? If anybody has recent first hand experience with any of these I'd like to hear about it. The laptop market is pretty FUBAR right now in my opinion because you have different models under the same product name and identical products with different model numbers. Nearly every company seems to do this. Plus all the major sellers are now acting as middle men for smaller sellers who probably have loads of inventory that they need to unload but don't want to tell you how old it is.

For my purposes (reading PDFs, Word Processing, Browsing) it seems like an i3 is a nice option but not strictly required. What seems more important is the option of a 32GB hard drive since I want to run a traditional Linux distro (hopefully Mint) either instead of or alongside of Chrome. That being said, there is always the option of USB thumb drives, so in the end I'm wondering if build quality is the most important consideration.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Amarcarts posted:

For my purposes (reading PDFs, Word Processing, Browsing) it seems like an i3 is a nice option but not strictly required. What seems more important is the option of a 32GB hard drive since I want to run a traditional Linux distro (hopefully Mint) either instead of or alongside of Chrome. That being said, there is always the option of USB thumb drives, so in the end I'm wondering if build quality is the most important consideration.

AFAIK you can't run regular Linux on a Chromebook 2 (at least not yet)

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Chromebook#Legacy_Boot

You can however upgrade the SSD in the C720. I had one for a bit and I'm sure you'd be happy with it for your needs.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8543/upgrading-the-ssd-in-a-chromebook

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Sorry to ask this again, but I never really got an answer. If I'm looking for the best screen for both reading text and watching videos (viewing angles are more important than accurate colour reproduction, but good contrast for dark scenes in movies is great too), am I just looking for any IPS screen? Or are some specific screens on specific laptops better? Note that I prefer 15.6", but I'll consider 13" if the XPS 13 really is the best out there. Oh, also, I'm looking for a Windows laptop only.

Unfortunately, my nearby brick and mortar stores don't have a great selection, so I can't view most candidates in person and need to rely on your impressions/advice. Thanks for any help.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I'm looking for a new laptop to replace my ~2009 eee pc that's finally kicking the bucket. My typical use cases are 1) viewing powerpoint slides in class or in the library, 2) using ssh to connect to a server for programming assignments, 3) penetration testing using Kali Linux.
I am looking for a machine that is 1) 11" - 13" (though I would consider a 14" machine) 2) lightweight, 3) SSD, 4) capable of supporting a dual boot into Kali.

Right now I'm considering the Samsung Chromebook 2 but would appreciate comments and suggestions.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I'm trying to boot from either a DVD or USB key using a Lenovo laptop. I go to Recovery Options and Advanced start-up and select to go to the UEFI, but it just restarts as normal, not taking me to the UEFI, BIOS or any boot screen. It's a G580 running Windows 8.1. Any ideas?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Hace posted:

Ahhh my bad, reading comprehension is hard

e: I'm surprised that none of the new macbooks have iris pro, I kinda have to wonder if going from 5200 to 6100 will be a downgrade.

New 15" Macbook Pro models have it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

beefnoodle posted:

New 15" Macbook Pro models have it.

That's Haswell though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Aphrodite posted:

That's Haswell though.

Yea they aren't really 'new'

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm trying to boot from either a DVD or USB key using a Lenovo laptop. I go to Recovery Options and Advanced start-up and select to go to the UEFI, but it just restarts as normal, not taking me to the UEFI, BIOS or any boot screen. It's a G580 running Windows 8.1. Any ideas?

I'm interested as well, having spent two hours on Monday power-cycling an Edge 15 trying to get into BIOS.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

blowfish posted:

1) The Y50 is available with an ips screen option (i.e. a good screen) on the lenovo website, probably not much more expensive than on amazon and possibly cheaper

2) Usually, you should buy a laptop without an SSD, get a Samsung EVO 850/something from Intel off amazon, and install it yourself (normally cheaper + you get a free data grave spinning HD)

3) 2GB is probably ok

The Amazon link was about $300 less than the Lenovo site, unless I logged in with the school account, in which case Amazon still beat it by around $100.

SouthLAnd posted:

Have you thought about buying your own SSD and swapping it in. Manufacturers seem to price SSD upgrades pretty outrageously. Plus you can use the original hard disk as a backup drive if you pick up a cheap external enclosure. An SSD really does make a difference though, and if you're spending more than a thousand dollars you should definitely have one.

As for the video memory, 4GB seems like overkill for a midrange chip like the GTX 860/960. Also keep in mind, if you're thinking of the UHD model, you won't be playing many games at native resolution, there just isn't enough horsepower there.

Have you considered something more powerful? The MSI GE62(and GE62 Pro) have noticeably more powerful GTX 965/970 GPUs. Hell, even the new Alienware 15 seems to somewhat competitively priced.

Thanks for the advice, you two.

Costco has a decent version of the Alienware 15 that I was considering but I ended up going with an ASUS ROG G751JY-DH71. Then I still wasn't sure about it until I asked a co-worker this morning what laptop he'd get if he were looking for one. I didn't tell him I already ordered the one but he ended up picking a version of that which had a little less memory, so now I feel better about my purchase.

Question about SSD: If I had a laptop that didn't have one but then I bought and installed it, would the setup be as easy as running whatever recovery disc I had for the machine or would I be looking at just doing a fresh OS install from a regular install disc?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

chemosh6969 posted:

Question about SSD: If I had a laptop that didn't have one but then I bought and installed it, would the setup be as easy as running whatever recovery disc I had for the machine or would I be looking at just doing a fresh OS install from a regular install disc?

You can do a fresh install or clone it with something like Macrium Reflect

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
The new Pixel is out.
$1000 for the i5 with 8GB RAM and 32GB storage or $1300 for the i7 with 16GB RAM and 64GB storage. Charges via USB-C just like the new Macbook but has 2 type-c ports and 2 USB 3 ports. Same 2560x1700 screen as the previous model.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Grundulum posted:

I'm interested as well, having spent two hours on Monday power-cycling an Edge 15 trying to get into BIOS.
On a Thinkpad Edge E540 here and F1 brings me to the BIOS, F12 gives me a menu that lets me select a single use boot device. Enter just pauses the booting process and shows me a menu with those options.

Saw occasional mentions of F2 being a possibility on some laptops and I actually thought F8 was the default "select boot device" key everywhere until I just checked.

With Windows 8, a normal shutdown doesn't count and will prevent you from using those hotkeys, but a regular restart does. I wasn't even aware there was an option to trigger it from inside Windows. Just do a restart and be ready to try out those keys.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

butt dickus posted:

The new Pixel is out.
$1000 for the i5 with 8GB RAM and 32GB storage or $1300 for the i7 with 16GB RAM and 64GB storage. Charges via USB-C just like the new Macbook but has 2 type-c ports and 2 USB 3 ports. Same 2560x1700 screen as the previous model.

You didn't mention the best part, about the high end model being called LS, for Ludicrous Speed.

If the high end one had a 256GB SSD, depending on what i7 that is, it could be interesting. But as it stands, who's really going to pay that much for a Chromebook?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

butt dickus posted:

The new Pixel is out.

Do people really work all day with their shirt buttoned up that high?

2 USB-C
2 USB 3.0
1 SD card

Nice. 16GB of RAM and only 64GB of storage? I realize it's a Chromebook but c'mon.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Aphrodite posted:

That's Haswell though.

Gotcha, misunderstood. Thanks.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

When the Broadwell chips are ready for the 15" models they will likely have Broadwell Iris Pro though, I would think.

ZergFluid
Feb 20, 2014

by XyloJW
So far I'm loving my non-touch Dell XPS 13, except for a minor issue: Compared to a former cheap laptop I used and my Nexus 5 phone, the WiFi reception is weaker, which is really only a problem at my work where the WiFi AP is behind several walls (and yet my phone and former laptop could pick it up with two to three bars.) On
the XPS 13 I'm only getting one bar and pages are failing to load. Bad adapter or are there some settings I need to play with?

ZergFluid fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 12, 2015

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Hey guys, I want to get my dad something to replace an old work desktop. Seems like a convertible tablet/laptop + monitor/mouse/keyboard would be the best solution? Ideally, I want: HD screen, touch-screen so he can use it for leisure as well and SSD because gently caress harddrives. Also needs something capable of running Excel because he gets sent spreadsheets and I've not been impressed with Google Sheets. Pretty annoying, otherwise I could just get him a chromebook or tablet. Seems like the Microsoft Surface Pro 3 or Dell XPS would do the trick, but it might be overkill? And I don't really want to get one a few months before a refresh. Are there any other options? How does the Dell Venue 11 Pro Tablet look? Or a ASUS Transformer Book Chi T300

crepeface fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 12, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Excel (sort of) works on iOS and Android tablets now.

Anyway what is the driver for replacing the desktop? I tend to think that once you start thinking about connecting up to a keyboard/mouse/monitor you'd be much better off with either a laptop with a real docking station, or an actual desktop and grabbing a separate dedicated tablet (i.e. not a convertible).

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Mostly a cash issue. Having a home office that he can plug a tablet into seems like it should be be the way to go since most of the work stuff is emails and a few spreadsheets a couple times a week. I forgot about Excel working on android now, and I just tried some normal work flow stuff on my Nexus 5 and it worked alright, but I couldn't seem to work out how to copy and paste between separate sheets. Also, I need to have the sheet be revertable back to the state I saved it in. My dad is pretty new to computers and I'm not sure I get him to understand "click undo until the page is back to how you found it" considering he still sometimes has trouble double-clicking (he uses the right mouse button).

If I could get that stuff sorted though, I guess a tablet with a dock/monitor would be the way to go?

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

When the Broadwell chips are ready for the 15" models they will likely have Broadwell Iris Pro though, I would think.

I was under the impression that we wouldn't be getting non-ulv Braoadwells. The "good" processors will come later this year via Skylake.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

rapeface posted:

If I could get that stuff sorted though, I guess a tablet with a dock/monitor would be the way to go?

Personally I'd grab an off-lease desktop (should be available extremely cheaply) and a new tablet

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I want that i7 pixel, but when will it be known if storage is upgradeable? :v:

Chaplin
Sep 24, 2006
I know Chrome has become a notorious resource hog but 16GB of RAM for a chromebook seems a little much...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Chaplin posted:

I know Chrome has become a notorious resource hog but 16GB of RAM for a chromebook seems a little much...

Google releases Chromebook with 4GB - Morons! What is this, 2009?
Google releases Chromebook with 8GB - Only 8GB on an i7! Pointless!
Google releases Chromebook with 16GB - 16GB? Who needs all this!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It's the i7 I don't understand - seems like it would only be worth it if you installed another OS?

Chaplin
Sep 24, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Google releases Chromebook with 4GB - Morons! What is this, 2009?
Google releases Chromebook with 8GB - Only 8GB on an i7! Pointless!
Google releases Chromebook with 16GB - 16GB? Who needs all this!

I'm legitimately curious. I guess they want to support a crazy amount of tabs? Is it a wink to how they know people will install Linux on it?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Truga posted:

I want that i7 pixel, but when will it be known if storage is upgradeable? :v:

You couldn't on the last one...

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

dissss posted:

Personally I'd grab an off-lease desktop (should be available extremely cheaply) and a new tablet

Surely, a desktop + tablet would be more than a lower end Surface.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Chas McGill posted:

It's the i7 I don't understand - seems like it would only be worth it if you installed another OS?
They're planning to make Chrome even slower, obviously.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.
Quick thoughts on my T450s: It's super awesome so far, good keyboard, love the trackpad. All that out of the way though:

So what's the standard way of imaging the mechanical drive over to an SSD? Samsung gave me some weird software to do it with, but should I use Reflect instead?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Samsung's is fine but it can fail. It won't fail in a way that breaks anything though.

If it does, then go with Reflect.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Captain Pike posted:

I was under the impression that we wouldn't be getting non-ulv Braoadwells. The "good" processors will come later this year via Skylake.

No Skylake on mobile until 2016 per Intel.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I didn't see a replay so I'm asking again what the thread's opinion is on the Samsung Chromebook 2, http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Chromebook-11-6-Inch-Jet-Black/dp/B00J49ZH6K

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Soylent Pudding posted:

I didn't see a replay so I'm asking again what the thread's opinion is on the Samsung Chromebook 2, http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Chromebook-11-6-Inch-Jet-Black/dp/B00J49ZH6K
Don't get it. It has an ARM processor and a terrible screen. $30 more gets you the Toshiba Chromebook 2 with a 1920x1080 IPS screen and an Intel CPU.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

SporkOfTruth posted:

Quick thoughts on my T450s: It's super awesome so far, good keyboard, love the trackpad. All that out of the way though:

So what's the standard way of imaging the mechanical drive over to an SSD? Samsung gave me some weird software to do it with, but should I use Reflect instead?

I just got mine, too, and it is pretty awesome.

It's questionable whether you'd want to keep the original installation of Windows given the nasty security holey crapware that comes on it. Personally, I've stuck Ubuntu on mine, and reinstalling Windows 7 alongside that is the next step (and proving to be a little irritating, since the machine has no Win7 key, only a Win8 key stuck in the bios). It's also annoying since Microsoft has now taken down their install disks from digitalriver. You can get them (supposedly) through a web interface now, but you need a non-OEM license key to do that. Honestly, I'm now at the point where I'm going to have to download a disk image from PirateBay and generate a fake key to activate it just to be able to use the OS I paid for. :sigh:

Anyway, for the Ubuntu side (since I saw a bunch of people in the thread interested in doing this), I found a page listing a bunch of hints for getting things working on a Thinkpad X250, which seem to generalise to other 2015 Thinkpads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Chaplin posted:

They give them to google devs internally, and put Ubuntu on most of them I suspect. Once you're using it for programming, compilation on a real OS, it makes sense.

Last I heard Linus Torvalds had extolled the virtues of one, if just for the screen resolution.