Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Complete digital archive of Opus and Bloom County as well as Outland via https://www.humblebundle.com/books

Was 15$, but might be a buck or two more since the Opus/Outland archives are both "Pay 5$ more than the average!" to unlock.

I'd throw so much money at these guys for a Far Side collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Crain posted:

Sorry....

It's all good, bro. :respek:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Finally broke down and ordered stuff to setup a NAS. Went with a Synology DS215J enclosure and two Seagate 4TB NAS drives to set up a mirror.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

rockcity posted:

Finally broke down and ordered stuff to setup a NAS. Went with a Synology DS215J enclosure and two Seagate 4TB NAS drives to set up a mirror.

I have that and I am extremely happy with it. It's a good bit of kit.

The apps seem pretty good too - apart from the Time Machine app that can't handle encrypted folders, which is dumb

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

rockcity posted:

you're going to love it.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Glad to hear some real world feedback on it. We have one of the higher models at my office and it works pretty well, so I figured the consumer version should work well for all I need, which is pretty basic remote access to files when I'm travelling and a backup of all my photography.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Complete digital archive of Opus and Bloom County as well as Outland via https://www.humblebundle.com/books

Was 15$, but might be a buck or two more since the Opus/Outland archives are both "Pay 5$ more than the average!" to unlock.

Ahh man, that's a good deal. I think I have too many of the physical books to bother though. They should give you mp3's of the two Billy and the Boingers songs.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Just bought it.

I have the Far Side collection. Need a good workout and don't have any weights? Lift that loving box set.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Mister Kingdom posted:

Just bought it.

I have the Far Side collection. Need a good workout and don't have any weights? Lift that loving box set.

Same with the Calvin and Hobbes set.

Heaviest item on the NYT best seller list.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I got this today, yay guitars!

I can't really capture it but the maple top looks almost 3D, it is really nice and warm looking :3:
Sorry about the lovely wall, ha ha, it's my utility type room

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
God drat I've spent so much money today.

Samsung 10.1 Galaxy 4 tablet off ebay. Too good of a deal to pass up though.

Hopefully I'll be selling my surface tablet to offset the cost a bit.

Still, decent day. Cowboy Bebop blu rays, complete bloom county, and a new tablet. I'm done for... hopefully weeks now.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Same with the Calvin and Hobbes set.

Heaviest item on the NYT best seller list.

Even the paperback version I have is heavy. I need lighter hobbies.

E: Just bought tickets to all four Rifftrax live events for this year.

Mister Kingdom has a new favorite as of 04:01 on Mar 12, 2015

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

rockcity posted:

Seconding all the comments, these are really good. Setup is a no-brainer (although I think the lower end models don't have drive caddys).

The only gripe I have is with the built-in bittorrent client, if you for example are downloading a season of a show it won't make the completed episodes available until the whole season is downloaded (although there is a slightly fiddly workaround)

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Concatenation posted:

Seconding all the comments, these are really good. Setup is a no-brainer (although I think the lower end models don't have drive caddys).

The only gripe I have is with the built-in bittorrent client, if you for example are downloading a season of a show it won't make the completed episodes available until the whole season is downloaded (although there is a slightly fiddly workaround)

My DS1511+ has been awesome for years, the OS updates have been great, would buy again (but don't have to because it is a solid product). Synology does good work.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online

I only make OK financial choices. At least I will be having fun while I eat peanut butter.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

tentawesome posted:

I only make OK financial choices. At least I will be having fun while I eat peanut butter.
The first one is a good financial choice!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

rockcity posted:

Being tech savvy but never having messed with NAS stuff before I have a question,

Right now I use Plex to host all my shows/music/movies to my Apple TV, meaning my desktop has to be left on whenever I want to watch something

Would this device allow me to run a Plex server on it, so I can just keep the PC turned off?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Sappo569 posted:

Being tech savvy but never having messed with NAS stuff before I have a question,

Right now I use Plex to host all my shows/music/movies to my Apple TV, meaning my desktop has to be left on whenever I want to watch something

Would this device allow me to run a Plex server on it, so I can just keep the PC turned off?

Short answer is "yes as long as you don't want to transcode" (and don't buy the DS213j, it's ARM processor isn't up to min specs)

If you want to transcode SD you have some options available that probably won't break the bank.
If you want to transcode HD you'll need a higher end model that will probably be Really Expensive.

edit: link
double edit: apparently any of the X14 models are also incompatible

overdesigned has a new favorite as of 06:02 on Mar 12, 2015

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

tentawesome posted:

Great console, two absolute garbage games.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

overdesigned posted:

Short answer is "yes as long as you don't want to transcode" (and don't buy the DS213j, it's ARM processor isn't up to min specs)

If you want to transcode SD you have some options available that probably won't break the bank.
If you want to transcode HD you'll need a higher end model that will probably be Really Expensive.

edit: link
double edit: apparently any of the X14 models are also incompatible

Thanks

Checking out the link provided, is there such a thing as a NAS capable of high bitrate transcoding with smaller bay sizes?

I checked a half dozen of the recommended devices that could handle blu-ray stuff, but they're all 6 or 8 bay, I only need 2 :(

Plus the whole $1k+ price tag

:Edit:

Something along these lines :
http://www.amazon.com/QNAP-Professi...rds=QNAP+TS-253

Blue On Blue has a new favorite as of 06:22 on Mar 12, 2015

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Most consumer NAS is really designed for just doing storage and maybe very light server work--transcoding video is more processor-intensive than what they're usually built for. As long as you'll only be dealing with a single stream (maybe two? I'm Not An Expert on this part), your best bet is probably a small NAS and then a HTPC to act as the media server where the transcoding will happen, so your data goes NAS -> HTPC -> wherever. Intel NUCs seem like something that would fit the bill well but I don't own one so I can't say definitively (I'm thinking about getting one though.)

There's a NAS thread and an HTPC thread in SH/SC if you wanna ask there, I bet they know more.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

tentawesome posted:

Trade in the second two and buy a good game.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Went to the rodeo. Got this delicious banana split funnel cake.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I have a 214play model and have no problem transcoding anything with Plex.

Plex provides a DSM package on their website.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

overdesigned posted:

Most consumer NAS is really designed for just doing storage and maybe very light server work--transcoding video is more processor-intensive than what they're usually built for. As long as you'll only be dealing with a single stream (maybe two? I'm Not An Expert on this part), your best bet is probably a small NAS and then a HTPC to act as the media server where the transcoding will happen, so your data goes NAS -> HTPC -> wherever. Intel NUCs seem like something that would fit the bill well but I don't own one so I can't say definitively (I'm thinking about getting one though.)

There's a NAS thread and an HTPC thread in SH/SC if you wanna ask there, I bet they know more.

Thanks I'll have to browse that

SLOSifl posted:

I have a 214play model and have no problem transcoding anything with Plex.

Plex provides a DSM package on their website.

If the CPU is the limiting factor for transcoding as I understand it, upgrading the CPU in these should be the same as any other PC no?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

The various models have (sometimes) very different CPUs, tailored to certain tasks. Honestly the best option is just to install Plex and see how it does.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

15 gallon brew pot

a couple ball valve assemblies, various fittings, etc.

52-quart picnic cooler

And a whole bunch of other poo poo I don't feel like posting pictures of...

Hooray beer! :homebrew:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

tentawesome posted:

Your purchase of mediocre games i don't like has required me to post my opinion on the internet

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Every time Scarf posts, I keep hoping they bought a scarf. As the weather gets warmer, the chance of that seems to be plummeting dramatically.

Yesterday, I bought several new packs of socks and boxer briefs at Costco. It is a good feeling to just completely toss out a drawer of socks and replace them from time to time. Also, beef short ribs for grilling tonight.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Aramek posted:

Every time Scarf posts, I keep hoping they bought a scarf. As the weather gets warmer, the chance of that seems to be plummeting dramatically.

Yesterday, I bought several new packs of socks and boxer briefs at Costco. It is a good feeling to just completely toss out a drawer of socks and replace them from time to time. Also, beef short ribs for grilling tonight.

I honestly only own one scarf. It's a soccer scarf from the university I went to. I never wear it.

I'm pretty disappointed in myself.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

tentawesome posted:

evil within is a cool game, good choice

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I got a Note 4! Coming from a Note 2, this is a nice upgrade and the resolution is ridiculous. I'm even tempted to sell my Tab Pro because do I really need it now?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Scarf posted:

15 gallon brew pot

a couple ball valve assemblies, various fittings, etc.

52-quart picnic cooler

And a whole bunch of other poo poo I don't feel like posting pictures of...

Hooray beer! :homebrew:

Very good. I myself just started brewing in the past couple months and it's a lot of fun with a great reward.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

wandler20 posted:

Very good. I myself just started brewing in the past couple months and it's a lot of fun with a great reward.

I've been meaning to do it for years, some equipment I already had (like a propane burner and another large boil pot for sparge water), so I decided to jump head first into all-grain. Hoping Sat. march 21 will be my first brew day.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Scarf posted:

I've been meaning to do it for years, some equipment I already had (like a propane burner and another large boil pot for sparge water), so I decided to jump head first into all-grain. Hoping Sat. march 21 will be my first brew day.

I also jumped straight into all grain. It's more work but makes you feel like you you've really made something in the end. Plus saving the spent grains and using them for cooking is great. I've made a porter, witbier, american ale, and a black lager so far. Next up is a raspberry wheat.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Scarf posted:

Hoping Sat. march 21 will be my first brew day.

You meant hopping, right? :downsrim:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

wandler20 posted:

I also jumped straight into all grain. It's more work but makes you feel like you you've really made something in the end. Plus saving the spent grains and using them for cooking is great. I've made a porter, witbier, american ale, and a black lager so far. Next up is a raspberry wheat.

Nice! Yeah I've got some friends who own a donut shop and I think they're gonna try and do a small batch of beer donuts with my spent grain.

I'm a big fan of ESBs, English Pales, and Kolsch, so I'm gonna shoot for an english pale to start.

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

You meant hopping, right? :downsrim:

:golfclap:

crosshatch
Dec 10, 2006

I preordered a doormat made of a piece of the old Portland airport carpet because I'm an insufferable hipster douchebag.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

crosshatch posted:

I preordered a doormat made of a piece of the old Portland airport carpet because I'm an insufferable hipster douchebag.

I'm really going to miss the old PDX carpet :smith:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Decided to replay an old classic: