Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Pesky Splinter posted:

I don't think it's ever been touched upon. Things in Star Wars seem like that Discworld quote; "Racism was not a problem on the Discworld, because — what with trolls and dwarfs and so on — speciesism was more interesting. Black and white lived in perfect harmony and ganged up on green."

That said, the Rebels have a more observably ethnic diverse cast.

Weird, I always think about that Discworld quote as well reguarding that with Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
I don't remember his name, but I recall a wookiepedia article for a black character mentioning he faced discrimination on his home world -- for being human.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So, Heir to the Jedi is written in first person, that's a bit jarring. I, Jedi was written in first person too, but I wasn't expecting them to do that ever again.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Tobaccrow posted:

I don't remember his name, but I recall a wookiepedia article for a black character mentioning he faced discrimination on his home world -- for being human.

Grizz Frix, better known as "She's gonna blow!" rebel pilot. I remember because that origin detail just stuck in my mind, that he was from Devaron and thus a member of a tiny minority.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A big new publishing programme has been announced. In the lead-up to Episode VII, Disney will be releasing a raft of 20 new titles to build the new EU between ROTJ and TFA.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Before everyone panics, those 20 books also include a bunch of guides and YA novels. Realistically, it'll probably only be 4-5 actual EU novels.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Before everyone panics, those 20 books also include a bunch of guides and YA novels. Realistically, it'll probably only be 4-5 actual EU novels.

There's actually only one novel in there from what they've revealed so far. The rest is junior readers, comics, and the two guidebooks.

That being said, the YA Han Solo book by Greg Rucka could be pretty good.

A comic from the point of view of Threepio? Probably not.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Ok, I laughed.

quote:

Knights of the Old Republic ... or should we say Cossacks of the Old Republic?

Although many people have given this role playing game rave reviews in the united $tates for mostly technical reasons, even the rabid fans have admitted that it is easier to be evil in this game and that the Jedi Knights are too much more powerful than other characters. Apparently one way to "win" is to kill one's traveling friends.

The universe of Star Wars is not unlike our own. There are the common people, and there are the "great" people. Unlike in our own world, however, the "great" people in Star Wars have their own caste of warrior slaves with special powers who, under the guise of "maintaining stability" move against any insurrection and crush any move to advance the society.

In this game, the player takes a role of one such warrior that calls him/herself a Jedi KNIGHT. The manufacturer doesn't even try to hide the connection to the exploitative feudal system of the Middle Ages.

Throughout the game, choices have to be made, which affect the outcome of the game. Naturally, to a brainwashed child mind, the most exploitative options have been made the simplest, and quickest.

It is far easier to use your powers to steal, than to do charity. The game is far easier if you "go capitalistic," which clearly points to early indoctrination conspiracy by the fascists.

Throughout the game, the player is pitted in fights against common people, where s/he is shown that to resist the powerful means certain death. The deception is perfect, since the player is the power and this pries his/her mind open to indoctrination even more.

As is well known for the fascist bastards, they take enjoyment in killing others, and the game rewards the player for killing common people. In fact, it is not possible to progress in the game without killing commoners, and the manufacturer plainly tells the player: those who have the courage to kill, are strong. Those who don't are weak.

In one part of the game, the player fights for money--to the death. This serves well to illustrate the society, where money is everything and human life is worth nothing. The worth of a corpse is solely a function of its persynal properties, which have to be looted to advance in the game.

All in all, the Cossacks/Knights of the Old Republic is one of the most manipulative pieces of software ever devised. It leeches morality of young minds and prepares them to kill their peers to prevent a revolution. After all... the strong fascist knight shall always win.

khamul
Jul 27, 2006
Shadow of the East
That is terribly confusing because there is another prominent PC game series titled "Cossacks", but it's in an entirely different genre. I thought they were talking about a KOTOR mod of some sort for the RTS series at first glance. Why do people have to make such a big deal about social themes in Star Wars? Already we've seen the EU Empire drift from stashing Daala, the only female admiral, in the Maw for 20 years, to employing female stormtroopers. Not that the latter development bothered me, but people get way too emotionally involved in a storybook galaxy.

Also, what's the deal with Palpatine being so racist in the OT, but having a bunch of non-humans in his entourage in the prequels? Apparently some of them (like Mas Amedda and Sly Moore) continued on long after the establishment of the New Order.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

khamul posted:

That is terribly confusing because there is another prominent PC game series titled "Cossacks", but it's in an entirely different genre. I thought they were talking about a KOTOR mod of some sort for the RTS series at first glance. Why do people have to make such a big deal about social themes in Star Wars? Already we've seen the EU Empire drift from stashing Daala, the only female admiral, in the Maw for 20 years, to employing female stormtroopers. Not that the latter development bothered me, but people get way too emotionally involved in a storybook galaxy.
the criticism in that critique has been around long before KOTR, at least to when David Brin wrote an essay along those line when the special editions came out in 1997.

quote:

Also, what's the deal with Palpatine being so racist in the OT, but having a bunch of non-humans in his entourage in the prequels? Apparently some of them (like Mas Amedda and Sly Moore) continued on long after the establishment of the New Order.
about the same way Dick Cheney hated gays. Palpatine's bias was that force users were better than non sensitives. If you couldn't sense and use the force your existence held no value to him. So if everyone is equally Bantha poodo you might as well play to the prejudices of the group that gives you the most support - in this case human supremacists like Tarkin and the core worlds. That the bad guys if the clone wars are all aliens just helps in the propaganda

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

In case anyone doesn't go over to the other Star Wars thread for whatever reason (there could be a few reasons), you shouldn't miss this.

First Star Wars spin-off is officially titled Rogue One, and Episode VIII, written and directed by Rian Johnson, will now be released May 26th, 2017.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 12, 2015

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Might be good. Hoping it will be good.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
All of the not-standalone things in that article are for episode VIII (8) not VII (7). The Force Awakens is still out this year (December 18).

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If Rogue One isn't about Rogue Squadron and Wedge Antilles I s2g

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Strobe posted:

If Rogue One isn't about Rogue Squadron and Wedge Antilles I s2g

I dunno, is Dennis Lawson actually involved in the new Star Wars stuff? It could easily be about some new guy (or gal) taking over from Wedge after he retires or dies or some such.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

jng2058 posted:

I dunno, is Dennis Lawson actually involved in the new Star Wars stuff?

Nope.

Mirror article about Denis Lawson possibly returning to SW posted:

He told The Courier: "I'm not going to do that. They asked me but it just would have bored me."

It's still quite debatable whether this film even has any relation to the Rogues, in any case.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

astr0man posted:

All of the not-standalone things in that article are for episode VIII (8) not VII (7). The Force Awakens is still out this year (December 18).

Oops. Typo.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I'm really sad that Dennis Lawson turned down Episode 7 because Wedge rules. :(

That said, if we're getting a Wedge Antilles \ Rogue Squadron movie I will officially be hyped. I've been going through a bit of a Star Wars kick so I'm on book 9 of the X-Wing series, not to mention I read all the X-Wing comics and have been playing the classic flight sims.

I've been going back and forth between TIE Fighter, X-Wing Alliance and Star Trek Bridge Commander and Totally Games used to loving own back in the day.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Gammatron 64 posted:

That said, if we're getting a Wedge Antilles \ Rogue Squadron movie I will officially be hyped. I've been going through a bit of a Star Wars kick so I'm on book 9 of the X-Wing series, not to mention I read all the X-Wing comics and have been playing the classic flight sims.

I've been going back and forth between TIE Fighter, X-Wing Alliance and Star Trek Bridge Commander and Totally Games used to loving own back in the day.

Well hang on, in that interview about Ep VII, Lawson said he would only come back for a more significant role. Which he might get if Rogue One really is a Rogue Squadron film. So hey, maybe it'll happen :shrug:

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's hilarious that for such minor character in the OT Wedge actually has a character arc. "LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT THING!" to "Cut the chatter Red 2" in like 4 years.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

KurdtLives posted:

It's hilarious that for such minor character in the OT Wedge actually has a character arc. "LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT THING!" to "Cut the chatter Red 2" in like 4 years.

Well other than the main heroes, he's the only Rebel character to be in more than one movie.

Also the movie should really be called Rogue Leader. :argh:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Chairman Capone posted:

Well other than the main heroes, he's the only Rebel character to be in more than one movie.

Reading that made me say "Oh come on, that's not true, what about... um... uhhh... okay, holy poo poo. Never noticed that."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Pretty sure he's literally the only pilot to survive both Death Star runs.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

jivjov posted:

Pretty sure he's literally the only pilot to survive both Death Star runs.

This is correct. He's also the only pilot to go on both.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Well yeah, who else survived DS1 except Luke and Wedge?

edit: And Chewie and Han obviously

edit2: I'm looking at Google results now and realizing I've made a huge mistake by trying to figure it out

Hazo fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 13, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Hazo posted:

Well yeah, who else survived DS1 except Luke and Wedge?

Han and Chewie, Vader, and some random Y-Wing pilot.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Didn't tycho celchu or someone make it out?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

VaultAggie posted:

Yeah, but he wasn't at DS1

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Tycho didn't fly on the first Death Star mission. He was still a TIE pilot in the Imperial Navy at that point.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

VaultAggie posted:

Tycho wasn't at the Battle of Yavin. Hell, he was probably still in the Imperial Navy during it, because I think he defected after Alderaan got destroyed.

EFB

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
Also several people survived the DS2 run, a couple of them (Tycho among them) broke off partway through to draw off some of the TIEs.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Oh yeah, drat I completely forgot he was an imperial pilot. :negative:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

KurdtLives posted:

Wedge is actually kind of a bitch in ANH. He complains about how you can't hit the exhaust port, how big the Death Star is and gets shot and runs away. By ESB and ROTJ he gradually becomes a badass. He takes down a few AT-ATs and blows up the 2nd Death Star.

gently caress Boba Fett. Boba Fett is a scrub. Wedge is the best minor Star Wars character. 2nd best is Admiral Ackbar.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gammatron 64 posted:

Wedge is the best minor Star Wars character. 2nd best is Admiral Ackbar.

I think you're forgetting someone.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

Does Lando not count? He seems to be at the very least working with the Rebels at the end of ESB, in an effort to free Han (a Rebel).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thrawn527 posted:

Does Lando not count? He seems to be at the very least working with the Rebels at the end of ESB, in an effort to free Han (a Rebel).

He was wearing Han's clothes and everything.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

thrawn527 posted:

I'd count Lando as one of the main heroes.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

gently caress Boba Fett. Boba Fett is a scrub. Wedge is the best minor Star Wars character. 2nd best is Admiral Ackbar General Veers.

Veers is one of the few Imperials shown to be competent and he managed to survive the movie and Vader. Let's not forget Admiral Piett either, he got two movies, a scene dedicated to his death by kamikaze, and "INTENSIFY FORWARD FIREPOWER!" didn't turn into a meme.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Pops Mgee posted:

I'd count Lando as one of the main heroes.

Yeah, Lando has a bigger part than Wedge and/or Boba Fett, if only because he is a part of the Jabba's palace scene and the final battle during ROTJ. I'd count Lando a step below the main characters (a secondary character), but a step above guys like Boba Fett, Wedge Antilles, Admiral Piett. Who all got minor scenes in multiple movies, but are still ultimately minor characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Potential BFF posted:

Veers is one of the few Imperials shown to be competent and he managed to survive the movie and Vader. Let's not forget Admiral Piett either, he got two movies, a scene dedicated to his death by kamikaze, and "INTENSIFY FORWARD FIREPOWER!" didn't turn into a meme.

Veers got short shrift in the EU, where they reveal that, immediately after he destroyed the shield generator on Hoth, he was crippled when a snowspeeder pilot did a kamikaze attack on his AT-AT, after which he ended up bouncing between minor commands, and eventually he ended up serving in Thrawn's forces and dying in an ambush.

On the other hand, was Veers the officer from the stormtrooper's story in Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina who personally removes the guy from AT-AT pilot training because he pointed out that a small ship could get between the thing's legs and mess it up with a tow cable, because it was embarrassing to the entire military philosophy?