Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Not Caligula???

Caligula has had a PR rehab by historians recently but everyone agrees that Commodus was the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Kurtofan posted:

Anyway, who's considered the absoluted worst Roman Emperor?
Mehmed VI
:agesilaus:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
little caesar

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

pls stop triggering me

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

You'll have a hard time beating Ibrahim I. He spent a good part of the first 25 years of his life in solitary confinement, which left him quite insane. I'm not sure if it was him, but one of the mad sultans of the Ottoman Empire had a hobby that was shooting a cannon at the people that were cruising with little boats on the Bosporus on their free days. He also liked to take potshots with bow and musket at people that were passing the palace. Btw, he was also known for having a fetish for morbidly obese women and dwarf fights. They had to fetch the fattest women in the empire, and I think it was a georgian that looked like Jabba the Hut that was his favourite wife.

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 12, 2015

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Smoking Crow posted:

Caligula has had a PR rehab by historians recently but everyone agrees that Commodus was the worst

Every website that pops up when one searches "worst Roman emperor" disagrees. :agesilaus:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

JaucheCharly posted:

You'll have a hard time beating Ibrahim I. He spent a good part of the first 25 years of his life in solitary confinement, which left him quite insane. I'm not sure if it was him, but one of the mad sultans of the Ottoman Empire had a hobby that was shooting a cannon at the people that were cruising with little boats on the Bosporus on their free days. He also liked to take potshots with bow and musket at people that were passing the palace. Btw, he was also known for having a fetish for morbidly obese women and dwarf fights. They had to fetch the fattest women in the empire, and I think it was a georgian that looked like Jabba the Hut that was his favourite wife.

Isn't he the one that was formally strangled to death because the janissaries decided they'd rather have a baby be the sultan?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Jamwad Hilder posted:

janissaries decided they'd rather have a baby be the sultan

Man why isnt there an hilarious slapstick adam sandler comedy about this

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Yea. They always get strangled with a silk bowstring. His predecessor was Osman I. who met the same fate (after getting stabbed in the dick), when he actually tried to tackle the influence of the Janissaries. Both him and Murad IV were pretty capable individuals that inherited an institutional nightmare.

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 12, 2015

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Caligula is very 'in' right now

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Oberleutnant posted:

Man why isnt there an hilarious slapstick adam sandler comedy about this

Mostly because of the inevitable baby stranglings.

Also, wasn't Caracalla like the worst Roman emperor, mostly for undermining the citizenship system that had backstopped the army for so long?

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 12, 2015

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Also, wasn't Caracalla like the worst Roman emperor, mostly for undermining the citizenship system that had backstopped the army for so long?

I think there were valid policy reasons to do so, less so for the murderous rages stuff that he did.

The citizenship thing was to increase tax revenue to pay for the military. The other benefits of military service (steady paycheck, land grant at the end of service) still applied until everything fell apart under the barracks emperors and the plague.

sullat fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 12, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

PittTheElder posted:

Caracalla always struck me as the worst, didn't he kill some poor bastard right in front of his (Caracalla's) father because the guy discovered a plot BY Caracalla to kill his own dad?

He was also the one who divided the Palace with his brother ala I Love Lucy, right?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

He was also the one who divided the Palace with his brother ala I Love Lucy, right?

It was probably a mutual feeling between Caracalla and Geta. It was obviously detrimental to running a government (literally dividing the empire was still unthinkable). Both thought (or knew) that the other wanted to get rid of him. So their mother arranged a meeting to solve their differences.

Negotiations broke down, and Geta was murdered. Obviously this looked bad on Caracalla, since he'd be the prime suspect. It also looked bad because he was the one responsible. He murdered his brother during the negotiations, In front of their mother, in her apartments.

Cassius Dio posted:

Antoninus wished to murder his brother at the Saturnalia, but was unable to do so; for his evil purpose had already become too manifest to remain concealed, and so there now ensued many sharp encounters between the two, each of whom felt that the other was plotting against him, and many defensive measures were taken on both sides. 2 Since many soldiers and athletes, therefore, were guarding Geta, both abroad and at home, day and night alike, Antoninus induced his mother to summon them both, unattended, to her apartment, with a view to reconciling them. Thus Geta was persuaded, and went in with him; 3 but when they were inside, some centurions, previously instructed by Antoninus, rushed in a body and struck down Geta, who at sight of them had run to his mother, hung about her neck and clung to her bosom and breasts, lamenting and crying: "Mother that didst bear me, mother that didst bear me, help! I am being murdered." 4 And so she, tricked in this way, saw her son perishing in the most impious fashion in her arms, and received him at his death into the very womb, as it were, whence he had been born; for she was all covered with his blood, so that she took no note of the wound she had received on her hand. 5 But she was not permitted to mourn or weep for her son, though he had met so miserable an end before his time (he was only twenty-two years and nine months old), but, on the contrary, she was compelled to rejoice and laugh as though at some great good fortune; 6 so closely were all her words, gestures, and changes of colour observed. Thus she alone, the Augusta, wife of the emperor and mother of the emperors, was not permitted to shed tears even in private over so great a sorrow.

e: In a display of mourning, he also passed damnatio memoriae on the deceased.

Clockwise from top-left: Julia Domna, Septimius Severus, Caracalla, Geta

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 12, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yep, Caracalla gets my vote for worst Roman Emperor.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

Yep, Caracalla gets my vote for worst Roman Emperor.

It's a toss-up between him and Commodus. I'd say that he was the worst human being to bear the title, but history shows no evidence that he was a human being.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's a toss-up between him and Commodus. I'd say that he was the worst human being to bear the title, but history shows no evidence that he was a human being.

Tiberius raping babies was pretty inhuman...

I know this thread often assumes Suetonius was making that up, but given recent events in the UK I'm having trouble finding it implausible.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Guys you remember what happened last time this thread talked about whether Suetonius was full of poo poo right?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Except Seutonius doesn't say that Tiberius raped children, he gives a ludicrous account of cherubic "tiddlers" giving out infant blowjobs. The subtext is that Tiberius was raping children but the text doesn't inspire confidence.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

That one movie with Malcolm McDowell said that Tiberius raped children so it is true

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It was probably a mutual feeling between Caracalla and Geta. It was obviously detrimental to running a government (literally dividing the empire was still unthinkable). Both thought (or knew) that the other wanted to get rid of him. So their mother arranged a meeting to solve their differences.

Negotiations broke down, and Geta was murdered. Obviously this looked bad on Caracalla, since he'd be the prime suspect. It also looked bad because he was the one responsible. He murdered his brother during the negotiations, In front of their mother, in her apartments.

e: In a display of mourning, he also passed damnatio memoriae on the deceased.

Clockwise from top-left: Julia Domna, Septimius Severus, Caracalla, Geta

Not exactly to the standard of the damnatio memoriae during Stalin's rule in 20th century Russia, but good enough, I guess.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
So I went and wrote that essay on Antiquity's approach to Republican government, the struggle for reform, the rise of enlightened despotism, the fracturing into profitable cultural powerhouses across Italy in independent city-states, and the lessons contained within for our seemingly hopeless modern times but removed all the distasteful racist undertones and mentions of New Jersey haha besides an offhand praise of NYC pizza.

Any guidance in where to go to publish an article heavy on Roman history and governmental philosophy? I'm not a student so I lack academic resources, but am interested in finding a place to post it that isn't SA for a broader audience outside of independent podcasting. I'll be sad if nothing really exists, but I don't know where to start since I lack connections in media or academia, which sounds pretty crippling haha. Maybe some doctorate students or something here have valuable advice for an upstart writer of historical analysis, without getting judgemental on my shameful recent posting history.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
peer review is blind, you don't need connections

and i invite you to publish in any major journal of classical history

really

go ahead

You should know, though, before you begin, that Sicily and southern Italy, home of Italian organized crime, were never city states. They were feudal.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I don't know how to publish in any major journals of classical history. That's what I'm asking for advice or guidance on. Where do I even begin?

And trust me, I know where I went wrong with my thesis, and used the harsh peer criticism here to refine it down in scope and breadth to a more specific evaluation of the apparatus of the state being pulled apart when faced with social strife blah blah.

Mostly I am just trying to be a writer without making GBS threads up threads, but I never learned how to publish in journals or anything before I dropped out of college a while ago. I don't even know how to read them without a student ID from a university, and would love to get guidance from people on re-entering academia before I take the plunge back into school, possibly majoring in History to finish my undergrad. I could shitpost long essays in major academic journals all day to get torn apart or completely ignored if someone points me in the right direction.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I suggest having ten 100$ bills attached to your paper, it will significantly boost its chance of being published.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Smoothrich posted:

I don't know how to publish in any major journals of classical history. That's what I'm asking for advice or guidance on. Where do I even begin?
Usually, you google their websites, click on the thing that says "Author information," and the site'll walk you through it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Freudian posted:

Guys you remember what happened last time this thread talked about whether Suetonius was full of poo poo right?

Cyrano earmed himself a custom title?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Smoothrich posted:

And trust me, I know where I went wrong with my thesis, and used the harsh peer criticism here to refine it down in scope and breadth to a more specific evaluation of the apparatus of the state being pulled apart when faced with social strife blah blah.

Mostly I am just trying to be a writer without making GBS threads up threads, but I never learned how to publish in journals or anything before I dropped out of college a while ago. I don't even know how to read them without a student ID from a university, and would love to get guidance from people on re-entering academia before I take the plunge back into school, possibly majoring in History to finish my undergrad. I could shitpost long essays in major academic journals all day to get torn apart or completely ignored if someone points me in the right direction.

So you knockdd up an essay in two days? I look forward to seeing the citations for the material you managed to get through for research in that time. :)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
When the reviews come back, please post them here

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
So you need to pay upwards of a thousand dollars to these Academic journals to publish a research paper that isn't anonymously lost in a vacuum about, say, the legacy of institutional corruption and how to educate ourselves on it? Lmao god pass me the bottle Cato.

Are any academic journals in the social sciences or humanities that focus on Ancient History.. or anything.. open-source and not byzantine cesspits with fees and restrictions to students racking up loan debt only? Or should I just suck it up and get back to school before I even try to begin pretending like anything I say could matter haha. I understand how to write and research, but penetrating the obtuse bullcrap that walls off shared resources of knowledge is ridiculous. I always wanted to be a grad student to participate in this stuff more, but when you drop out of college its hard to know what the hell anything even means or is when everything is just an abstract excerpt demanding you pay 100 bucks for the pleasure of reading some regurgitated stats and biased misguided conclusions on this or that.

I just wanna read and write about Rome crap in a longer format than SA posts haha but it seems difficult! Time to take out some student loans probably.

The irony of someone like Aaron Swartz trying to expose the corruption behind all of this by making MIT's database open-source only to be threatened with life in prison, millions in fines, and deciding to kill himself in disgrace like a Gracchus brother or some other Populares reformer crushed by Rome is becoming increasingly apparent to me.

Oberleutnant posted:

So you knockdd up an essay in two days? I look forward to seeing the citations for the material you managed to get through for research in that time. :)

Huh? I knocked out several pages of an essay about Roman politics in like 20 minutes haha. You know all the most valuable resources for citations are paywalled when you aren't a student, it makes learning or writing difficult. But I spent years taking History and other classes and thriving with 20 page essays on this BS or that and reading many books and stealing good ideas from dozens of journals. It's real fun!

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Mar 13, 2015

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Shut the gently caress up.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Please be gentle, let him hand in the paper and post the results here.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I'm not looking to be a center of attention, just a very specific question to grad students like the OP involved with research and publications on Classical antiquity. Also recommendations of worthwhile History centric academic journals/databases, especially if they are free, which seem frustratingly difficult to find when you don't have student credentials. I've been googling it up for an hour and getting disappointed.

Learning is hard if you are not in college, Google Wikipedia Amazon or this thread only gets you so far. Please resume your regularly scheduled posting, I don't want to derail anything unless its about how to better research ancient history and find up-to-date scholarly articles , which I am very interested in. People like the OP slinging knowledge on SA inspire me to get my poo poo together and get back in a university in the first place. Thanks OP, and others who share knowledge and book suggestions here. It becomes more important than you think for people who want to learn but sucked at college like me when I was younger, even though History classes and writing papers for them were the most fun I had there.

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Mar 13, 2015

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

JaucheCharly posted:

A true Roman :agesilaus:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
You're a loving lunatic haha.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Freudian posted:

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
You guys have no sense for entertainment. It's like you're watching a couple of pissdrunk Russians handle a can of gasoline and a lighter and you intercede by calling them names. Can't you just sit back and watch what will happen?

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Was Rome the only civilization to have apartment complexes (insulae)? Did other civilizations have some equivalent? Where did the normies live in, say, Athens, Alexandria or Babylon? What about in ancient India or China?

In the Roman insulae, were all taverns, pubs, restaurants, cafes, shops, etc. in the tabernae, or were there any free-standing structures devoted to these things? Who owned them and ran them?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

JaucheCharly posted:

You guys have no sense for entertainment. It's like you're watching a couple of pissdrunk Russians handle a can of gasoline and a lighter and you intercede by calling them names. Can't you just sit back and watch what will happen?

I like seeing new posts in this thread because the new posts are always entertaining and informative. Except when i see 5 new posts and it's some retard crying about noo joyzi being corrupted by romans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Blue Star posted:

Was Rome the only civilization to have apartment complexes (insulae)? Did other civilizations have some equivalent? Where did the normies live in, say, Athens, Alexandria or Babylon? What about in ancient India or China?

They were not. The very old world, the Bronze Age world, was highly urbanized in a way the Roman Empire just started to return to. Many of those cities had what we'd consider apartment blocks. Sana'a in Yemen has some that I believe date back to around the 6th century.