Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

The Sharmat posted:

Is Ward white?

I think they left it open to interpretation.

He comes from a powerful Massachusetts family, I'd say he's pretty white. I mean that's about as white as it comes really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Boogaleeboo posted:

He comes from a powerful Massachusetts family, I'd say he's pretty white. I mean that's about as white as it comes really.
Unless he's Irish Catholic, in which case he's just recently white.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Africa begins south of the Baltic.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So my thoughts on how the Inhumans plot will proceed; I think that the society of inhuman people we're seeing has nothing to do with Attilan. That it just formed out of Inhumans that found each other and began to support each other. I think that they'll proceed as though that's the only Inhuman society that's around, then when 2018 rolls around, the Inhumans movie will unveil this entire seperated-from-the-world Attilan city and Royal Family and they'll be able to reconcile it with Agents of SHIELD just by saying 'SHIELD was aware of individuals out there with abilities like this, but we have no idea anything like this existed!'

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

MikeJF posted:

So my thoughts on how the Inhumans plot will proceed; I think that the society of inhuman people we're seeing has nothing to do with Attilan. That it just formed out of Inhumans that found each other and began to support each other. I think that they'll proceed as though that's the only Inhuman society that's around, then when 2018 rolls around, the Inhumans movie will unveil this entire seperated-from-the-world Attilan city and Royal Family and they'll be able to reconcile it with Agents of SHIELD just by saying 'SHIELD was aware of individuals out there with abilities like this, but we have no idea anything like this existed!'

Yeah that's likely. Otherwise, they'll either have to do some crazy tip-toeing around the Royal Family for 3 freakin' years, or actually include the stars of the upcoming movie in the TV show. Which, all jokes about Barry Convex aside, I don't think that's honestly gonna happen either.

I think they'll probably move on from the Inhumans storyline after a season or two, for the most part. Surely they've got some other corners of the world they'd like to explore. Agents of SHIELD is such a good tool to be able to just touch on any random plot of faction that gets introduced in any of the other MCU properties, it's kinda a waste not to use it for that.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MikeJF posted:

So my thoughts on how the Inhumans plot will proceed; I think that the society of inhuman people we're seeing has nothing to do with Attilan.

.... you did see the flashback which showed the Inhumans being changed, and training, at Attilan right? There's several keys, so it only stands to reason there are several facilities. It's far, far more likely that the facility seen on SHIELD so far was just one of many.

I'd also put my money on the Inhumans movie being linked, given it's placement on the Marvel schedule, to some sort of Kree attack on Earth where the mists were released outside of temples. Remember, they're trying to basically turn the Inhumans into the next X-Men and that'll be impossible if every single one of them has to decide to find a long lost facility to make the change.

ED: Also it works from a big picture standpoint; the TV show gets to introduce the Inhumans as a concept and shows how they existed prior to some big event, and the movie is free to focus on total newcomers that way.

enraged_camel posted:

Actually, I would say that every single character on this show owns. This is in stark contrast to Arrow and Flash, which are also very good shows but have certain characters that are either very boring or very badly written.

What's funny is I agree with you at the moment, they're all fun, but if you had showed this post to this thread this time last year everyone would think you were nuts. This really came a long ways.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 12, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
hahaha Oh Barry... good times.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Blazing Ownager posted:

.... you did see the flashback which showed the Inhumans being changed, and training, at Attilan right?

LOCATION:UNKNOWN, if I recall correctly. It was three people in a bunker. I agree that Skye's mother was part of some kind of inhuman society, but I don't know that it's the Attilan society or some entirely separate group of inhumans. I reckon that they'll go with the idea of Attilan having cut itself off from humanity thousand years ago or so and won't come back in contact until the 2018 movie, and the society of inhumans that we're dealing with now are a separate set of inhumans who arose within mainline humanity and found each other. It lets them keep the storyline for the movie neat whilst still having inhumans on the show.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Mar 12, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You could argue that it's the obvious choice place to take the newcomers to not feel alone, and be treated by other Inhumans.

Using your logic and reason is usually the safe option.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I could see them doing an arc that ends with all the Inhumans (except Skye) taking off and making SHIELD think they've permanently left. Maybe do a stinger with them taking the Diviners to a shadowy figure on a throne or something like that.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Skye's original backstory was everyone in a village dying to protect her, that village could have been where the Inhuman training area from the flashback was.

It was supposedly her father who killed them all but it doesn't seem implausible that they would have refused to give her up to her batshit crazy father.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

THF13 posted:

Skye's original backstory was everyone in a village dying to protect her, that village could have been where the Inhuman training area from the flashback was.

It was supposedly her father who killed them all but it doesn't seem implausible that they would have refused to give her up to her batshit crazy father.

I thought it was revealed Whitehall killed everyone and Muad'dad just stumbled onto the carnage afterwards.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

hangedman1984 posted:

I thought it was revealed Whitehall killed everyone and Muad'dad just stumbled onto the carnage afterwards.

This is correct.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

(Thor 2 spoilers, but just in case)

So when Sif said she was sent by Odin...Loki sent her, right?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

thrawn527 posted:

That's the implication, yeah.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

thrawn527 posted:

Forgot about that! Yeah.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

She was also “sent by Odin" in her episode last season.

:tinfoil:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well Loki actually does care about running the kingdom well and protecting his people. He wants to be King because he thinks he's the best one to do it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Being a secret Muslim Frost Giant born in Kenya Jotunheim, I expect Loki to implement immigration reform and abolish racist zoning laws in Asgard.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

The MSJ posted:

Being a secret Muslim Frost Giant born in Kenya Jotunheim, I expect Loki to implement immigration reform and abolish racist zoning laws in Asgard.

Vanir immigrants stole my brick laying job! Thanks Odin!

muscles like this? posted:

I could see them doing an arc that ends with all the Inhumans (except Skye) taking off and making SHIELD think they've permanently left. Maybe do a stinger with them taking the Diviners to a shadowy figure on a throne or something like that.

One of the things that's interesting to me about Inhumans vs. Mutants is the whole 'product of alien tampering' origin, rather than luck of birth. It's an easy in for Marvel's cosmic stuff interacting with the Earth based stuff and I think it lends itself to more interesting storylines and a way to differentiate the two. Inhumans allow them to explore some different themes (such as, say, the consequences of tampering with other cultures), where Mutants seem to be really locked into one major theme (racism).

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

greatn posted:

He wants to be King because he thinks he's the best one to do it.

The best part is that Loki didn't even want to be king until he found out he was adopted, he just didn't want Thor to be king because he (rightly) thought Thor was a meat-headed thug. I loved the cut scene from the first Thor movie where Frigga tells Loki that, with Odin asleep and Thor banished, he's got to rule Asgard and Loki's reaction is "Ohshitseriously:ohdear:"

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
So Raina, is she with Professor X or Magneto?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Mymla posted:

So Raina, is she with Professor X or Magneto?

The Morlocks.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Speaking of Odin, are we safe to assume Loki simply locked him up in the dungeon somewhere, as opposed to straight up kill him?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

enraged_camel posted:

Speaking of Odin, are we safe to assume Loki simply locked him up in the dungeon somewhere, as opposed to straight up kill him?

That'll all be revealed in Thor 5: Asgardian Boogaloo

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

I can't believe that they would have killed him off screen. My money is on him being locked up somewhere.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Loki would totally put a glamour on Odin so he'd look like Loki so no one would believe Odin when he asked for help.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Heimdall is going to feel like a jackass when he realizes the real Odin was hidden away some where and he didn't see poo poo.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I wonder if Loki found a way to induce the Odinsleep? Lord knows between his wife's death , his city getting plundered, and his sons teaming up to defy him, Odin had to have been getting pretty worn out on his own.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

AbsolutelySane posted:

where Mutants seem to be really locked into one major theme (racism).

Well, discrimination in general. They're also a gay allegory.

EDIT: I also kind of hope it's revealed that Odin gave up the throne willingly. I just think it'd be more interesting if Thor suspected foul play when it really wasn't there.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Blazing Ownager posted:

Are the ratings picking up?

I still have a hard time convincing people to give the show another shot because of season 1.

A thing is only good if other people have already watched it and said its cool to like it.

That's why I play it safe and only listen to Top 40 radio and only watch shows that have at least a 3.0 share.

MikeJF posted:

This is a logical idea, but it's far more important that Barry Convex and Dan Didio get fully onboard with it for it to have any chance of it happening.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

What's funny is I agree with you at the moment, they're all fun, but if you had showed this post to this thread this time last year everyone would think you were nuts. This really came a long ways.

Well, the characters themselves were never weak. The writing was just subpar for a while.

I rewatched the season 1 premiere and I thought Skye was still very good there, for instance.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

A thing is only good if other people have already watched it and said its cool to like it.

That's why I play it safe and only listen to Top 40 radio and only watch shows that have at least a 3.0 share.

This is a logical idea, but it's far more important that Barry Convex and Dan Didio get fully onboard with it for it to have any chance of it happening.

I'm on board with it. Does that jinx it?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
CAPT. Rainbeard has a big crush on me and he wants to kiss me on my cool lips.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Barry Convex posted:

I'm on board with it. Does that jinx it?

Dan Didio posted:

CAPT. Rainbeard has a big crush on me and he wants to kiss me on my cool lips.

Okay, looks like they're both onboard.

Hmm. Tell me, guys. Half Life 3?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

I rewatched the season 1 premiere and I thought Skye was still very good there, for instance.

Eh, Mary Sue Poots' specialness annoyed me for a while. She's fantastic now that she's been properly training through.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm surprised people are so confident this show'll still exist in 2018, let alone in what form.

MikeJF posted:

Eh, Mary Sue Poots' specialness annoyed me for a while. She's fantastic now that she's been properly training through.

I don't really understand the complaint. She wasn't all that special and she actually had an arc, unlike Coulson, who was and still is garbage.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dan Didio posted:

I don't really understand the complaint. She wasn't all that special and she actually had an arc, unlike Coulson, who was and still is garbage.

The way she was treated like she was special by everyone else. Also, she could be really dumb sometimes re: spy agency behaviour.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dan Didio posted:

t. She wasn't all that special and she actually had an arc, unlike Coulson, who was and still is garbage.

Your opinion on Coulson is noted, and rejected outright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

MikeJF posted:

The way she was treated like she was special by everyone else. Also, she could be really dumb sometimes re: spy agency behaviour.

Her not being a spy and having something unique about her was the premise of the character, and in large parts, the show, though. It certainly didn't make her some faultless Mary Sue, given the very obvious flaws you've just pointed out.

• Locked thread