Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ImpAtom posted:

Try playing Namco x Capcom someday. That'll solve that belief.

Or Xenosaga.

Hey man, Namco x Capcom was NEARLY a good idea. If only it wasn't so loving long and drawn out. It's Project X Zone that's kinda inexplicable, you'd think they'd have learned their lesson from the first try. Also, NxC has a really good opening video and song and that's worth a lot of points.

And Xenosagas 1 and 3 weren't particularly bad. 1 is kinda weird and dated but it's got some fun stuff and they finally perfected the battle system in XS3 and they had to accelerate the plot so much things get completely insane really quickly.

XS2 is a travesty though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Try playing Namco x Capcom someday. That'll solve that belief.

The people who made Xenoblade had absolutely nothing to do with Namco x Capcom.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Namco x Capcom can't be as bad as Cross Edge. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junkie Disease posted:

Its almost as if they learned from past mistakes?! Crayzy.
Can I add beards to everyone to balance out the eye to hair ratio too?

Project Cross Zone suggests they did not learn from their mistakes in NxC and Endless Frontier.

Doc V posted:

The people who made Xenoblade had absolutely nothing to do with Namco x Capcom.

You're right. Monolith Soft has nothing to do with Monolith Soft. Despite the fact that if you look in the credits you can see that development team members worked on both the Xeno games and NxC/Project X Zone games. They have different directors and obviously not all of the team members are the same but "the people who made Xenoblade had absolutely nothing to do with Namco x Capcom" is straight-up wrong.

Seriously, Monolith Soft made a very good game but "they can do no wrong" is silly. The studio's track record as a whole is pretty inconsistent and they're more than capable of making bad gameplay design decisions. Even discounting everything not with Xeno in the title that still isn't a flawless track record.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 7, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vanrushal posted:

I can't wait to get access to headgear that completely covers the wearer's face and put it on as many people as I can.

The joke'll be on you when they take every available opportunity to take them off before talking with each other like this is Dead Space 3.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

MentholsNBeer posted:

The good news is they have those mask armors you can buy and make everyone in your party look like the wonderful 100.

Okay, I'm cancelling the cancellation of my preorder

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

You're right. Monolith Soft has nothing to do with Monolith Soft. Despite the fact that if you look in the credits you can see that development team members worked on both the Xeno games and NxC/Project X Zone games. They have different directors and obviously not all of the team members are the same but "the people who made Xenoblade had absolutely nothing to do with Namco x Capcom" is straight-up wrong.

Monolith Soft is a company consisting of three separate development studios. One of them made Xenoblade. Another made NxC. The design and programming teams of the two games had no overlap whatsoever, which you would have known if you had actually looked at the credits instead of just acting like a sarcastic rear end in a top hat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doc V posted:

Monolith Soft is a company consisting of three separate development studios. One of them made Xenoblade. Another made NxC. The design and programming teams of the two games had no overlap whatsoever, which you would have known if you had actually looked at the credits instead of just acting like a sarcastic rear end in a top hat.

You're right that there isn't as much overlap between NxC as there is between Project X Zone. (A good chunk NxC staff appears to have gone to positions at Bandai-Namco or left the industry.) However you can replace it in my statement with Project X Zone and literally nothing changes except that the list of people involved has a lot more overlap with Xenoblade's production staff.

Monolith has separate development studios but the various studios have plenty of overlap. Yasuyuki Honne for example did work for the Xeno games and Project X Zone despite also being the project lead for things like Baiten Kaitos or that Dragonball game they made. You can replace Namco x Capcom with Project X Zone, Xenosaga, Endless Frontier, Disaster, or countless other games Monolith has worked on which have been genuinely not very good or had a lot of problems. The point doesn't change. The Xenoblade team is not a magical group of pixies who sprung fully formed from the ether to create nothing but perfect games, divorced from those around them.

I'll gladly point out plenty of other examples. Katsunori Itai was the lead programmer of Xenoblade. He also worked on Disaster: Day of Crisis and Xenoblade I and II. Same goes for Koh Kojima, the lead designer. Yoshiharu Miyake was the battle and effect programmer for Project X zone and, oh look, he also worked on Xenoblade. Same goes for Katsutoshi Yamamoto. Hirohide Sugiura obviously was lead executive producer but I don't think it's worth counting him for obvious reasons. However the project head and several key figures in PXZ were also the Namco x Capcom development team including Soichiro Morizumi who was the director for NxC and PXZ (as well as a lot of Super Robot Wars games.)

I'm not trying to say "Monolith Soft sucks" or anything, but they can and have made plenty of flawed games. That applies to Xenoblade staff members as much as it does anyone else at Monolith. Yoshiharu Miyake didn't work on NxC but he sure worked on Endless Frontier and Project X Zone which both spiritual sequels and are lovely in the exact same way. (He also worked on Valkyrie Profile which I love to death so that isn't to call them out in particular.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 8, 2015

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Monolith has separate development studios but the various studios have overlap. Yasuyuki Honne for example did work for the Xeno games and Project X Zone despite also being the project lead for things like Baiten Kaitos or that Dragonball game they made.

You can replace Namco x Capcom with Project X Zone, Xenosaga, Endless Frontier, Disaster, or countless other games Monolith has worked on which have been genuinely not very good or had a lot of problems. The point doesn't change. The Xenoblade team is not a magical group of pixies who sprung fully formed from the ether to create nothing but perfect games.

I'll gladly point out plenty of other examples. Katsunori Itai was the lead programmer of Xenoblade. He also worked on Disaster: Day of Crisis and Xenoblade I and II. Same goes for Koh Kojima, the lead designer. Yoshiharu Miyake was the battle and effect programmer for Project X zone and, oh look, he also worked on Xenoblade. Same goes for Katsutoshi Yamamoto. Hirohide Sugiura obviously was lead executive producer but I don't think it's worth counting him for obvious reasons.

However the project head and several key figures in PXZ were also the Namco x Capcom development team including Soichiro Morizumi who was the director for NxC and PXZ (as well as a lot of Super Robot Wars games.)

Who the hell are you arguing with? You claimed that the people responsible for Xenoblade were also responsible for NxC, which is untrue. I never said there was no staff overlap between their other projects and I definitely never claimed the Xenoblade team was "a magical group of pixies who sprung fully formed from the ether". Literally the only thing I have argued is that Xenoblade and NxC were made by different people, because I have absolutely no interest in speculating about whether or not a game is going to suck based on the resumes of people who may or may not be involved with it.

gently caress this, I'm going to bed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Doc V posted:

I never said there was no staff overlap between their other projects and I definitely never claimed the Xenoblade team was "a magical group of pixies who sprung fully formed from the ether".

You said, and I quote "Monolith Soft is a company consisting of three separate development studios. One of them made Xenoblade. Another made NxC" as if that meant anything. v:shobon:v

You're not wrong in that there is less overlap between NxC and a lot of Monolith games because a huge chunk of the NxC team is no longer at Monolith at all, not because they were in a different division. Monolith has a fair bit overlap between their various divisions. You can't say that they have a good development team and a bad development team or whatever.

Doc V posted:

I have absolutely no interest in speculating about whether or not a game is going to suck based on the resumes of people who may or may not be involved with it.

Nobody was arguing about that. I think Xenoblade Chronicles is going to own and I'm more excited about it than any game coming out soon. I literally was just saying "Monolith has made a lot of bad games too, they're not immune to criticism or making mistakes," a point which stands just as well with Project X Zone (their last game before Xenoblade, discounting the Kyoto team's Nintendo EAD collabs) as it does with NxC. Even if they do something dumb it doesn't mean the game won't still be great.

Seriously, I wasn't trying to start a "lol, game sucks' conversation or anything. I'm excited about it. :smith:

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 8, 2015

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

ImpAtom posted:

You're right that there isn't as much overlap between NxC as there is between Project X Zone. (A good chunk NxC staff appears to have gone to positions at Bandai-Namco or left the industry.) However you can replace it in my statement with Project X Zone and literally nothing changes except that the list of people involved has a lot more overlap with Xenoblade's production staff.

Monolith has separate development studios but the various studios have plenty of overlap. Yasuyuki Honne for example did work for the Xeno games and Project X Zone despite also being the project lead for things like Baiten Kaitos or that Dragonball game they made. You can replace Namco x Capcom with Project X Zone, Xenosaga, Endless Frontier, Disaster, or countless other games Monolith has worked on which have been genuinely not very good or had a lot of problems. The point doesn't change. The Xenoblade team is not a magical group of pixies who sprung fully formed from the ether to create nothing but perfect games, divorced from those around them.

I'll gladly point out plenty of other examples. Katsunori Itai was the lead programmer of Xenoblade. He also worked on Disaster: Day of Crisis and Xenoblade I and II. Same goes for Koh Kojima, the lead designer. Yoshiharu Miyake was the battle and effect programmer for Project X zone and, oh look, he also worked on Xenoblade. Same goes for Katsutoshi Yamamoto. Hirohide Sugiura obviously was lead executive producer but I don't think it's worth counting him for obvious reasons. However the project head and several key figures in PXZ were also the Namco x Capcom development team including Soichiro Morizumi who was the director for NxC and PXZ (as well as a lot of Super Robot Wars games.)

I'm not trying to say "Monolith Soft sucks" or anything, but they can and have made plenty of flawed games. That applies to Xenoblade staff members as much as it does anyone else at Monolith. Yoshiharu Miyake didn't work on NxC but he sure worked on Endless Frontier and Project X Zone which both spiritual sequels and are lovely in the exact same way. (He also worked on Valkyrie Profile which I love to death so that isn't to call them out in particular.)

Whos reading THE BLOB?
Xenoblade having ugly people has little impact on my enjoyment of the gameplay. Xenoblade was them learning from past mistakes and its development was quite experimental. Other companys do learn as well, but its just harder when you keep laying people off or driving them away. RIP Maxis, whoever worked at bullfrog that managed to make Peter M games good, and the good people that worked with Ken Levine.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/xenoblade/2/0 This is still a cool read on the guys behind the game and nintendos role in all that.

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 8, 2015

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Narration and dialogue parts for the stream has been subbed now with the rest hopefully being added in the coming week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kh5V73XpwY

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.

Motto posted:

The party member stuff is pretty interesting. I'm guessing MC/Lyn/Elma/Tatsu are the ones who are always around in cutscenes and stuff, and then there are secondary party members who matter in the plot but aren't always around/cutscene relevant, and then optional minor members you get through guilds/quests who have their own sidestories, but are just warm bodies if they appear in main story scenes.

edit: Really pumped that Doll-stuff is evidently expansive enough to get its own stream. Have they said how many streams there will be in total? I'm expecting at least a fourth on online play.

This is going to be like Chrono Cross where no one matters except the four you listed

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm surprised at how many layers they added to the combat system, but at the same time disappointed that chain attacks no longer make the game turn based. What's even worse is that the character portraits don't look hyped as gently caress or get sick flames when they're at high tension. That was the best.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I like that you can support the companies that make armor you like, so I can boycott the sickos making fetish armor for 13-year-old girls.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

jesus loving christ

Motto posted:

The party member stuff is pretty interesting. I'm guessing MC/Lyn/Elma/Tatsu are the ones who are always around in cutscenes and stuff, and then there are secondary party members who matter in the plot but aren't always around/cutscene relevant, and then optional minor members you get through guilds/quests who have their own sidestories, but are just warm bodies if they appear in main story scenes.

That's pretty much what I was thinking too.

Silvain posted:

This is going to be like Chrono Cross where no one matters except the four you listed

I'm not sure I'd go that far. The ones you get from side quests probably aren't going to be relevant, yeah, but the party members who got proper introductions seem to have at least some presence in the main plot. For instance, Irina shows up at the start of the cutscene with the tentacle thong alien despite not actually being in the party when the battle starts, and there was a scene in the E3 trailer that showed all the confirmed playable characters except Madres/Fry/Celica flying in Dolls together.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
I'm getting really hyped for this game now, I hope I have time to get through even half of the content.

Have there been any indications that classes or skills are unique to each character? Or, are they doing more of a FF job system this time?

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Jesus, some of those armour sets look absolutely ridiculous.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spectral Werewolf posted:

I'm getting really hyped for this game now, I hope I have time to get through even half of the content.

Have there been any indications that classes or skills are unique to each character? Or, are they doing more of a FF job system this time?

IIRC they said that you're able to set skills based on your playstyle so I don't think they're unique, or at least there's elements of customization to it for your main character.

Zutaten posted:

Jesus, some of those armour sets look absolutely ridiculous.

Ridiculous armor is the best armor.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 8, 2015

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

ImpAtom posted:

IIRC they said that you're able to set skills based on your playstyle so I don't think they're unique, or at least there's elements of customization to it for your main character.

I've been trying to figure out what class the unarmed combat with flying drones is. The drones are apparently called launchers so that would imply it's a galaxy knight that uses a photon sabre and psycho launchers but Lou and the unnamed girl are both unarmed and Douglas who uses a light saber like sword uses a lazer bazooka.
I suppose Douglas could be the Elite Planner guy and the light saber he uses in the stream video is just a knife that looks like that.

Edit: Classes, for reference.

Dastardly fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 8, 2015

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe the named characters have their own unique class and skill loadout?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That 'raygun' is a class of weapon warms my heart.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
This week's website update:

First, we've got a page on combat:.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeBLW7jMLb0
-Melee attacks deal more damage per hit, ranged attacks hit multiple times.
-Melee weapons: knife, longsword, shield, dual sword, javelin, photon saber etc.
-Ranged weapons: assault rifle, gatling gun, sniper rifle, ray gun, psycho launcher etc.
-(note the etc., it seems there's more weapon types they haven't revealed)
-basic battle controls:

quote:

-Target enemy: choose an enemy to attack
-Draw sword: ready your weapon and start the battle
-Target lock: lock the camera on target enemy
-Target change: switch your target to a different enemy
-Part lock: target one of the enemy's body parts
-Weapon change: switch between melee and ranged weapons
-Arts: use arts your character has. If your TP is over 1000, you can use powerful Tension Arts.
-Help up: spend 3000 TP to revive a fallen comrade
-Give orders: give your party orders like "concentrate fire" or "gather to me"
-Show battle menu: allows you to give more detailed orders like "use melee attacks", "use ranged attacks" or "get in your Dolls". Also allows you to use emergency escape, which returns you to the nearest landmark after 15 seconds.
-Retreat: stop fighting and move a certain distance away from the enemy to retreat from battle

Second, there's a new page on aliens:
-Nopon: native inhabitants of Mira who lead trade caravans
-Ma Non: technologically advanced peaceful aliens
-Byas: one of a group of warlike alien species hostile toward humans

Next up, a page about Arms Company:
-Arms companies are businesses that develop equipment for characters and Dolls
-Companies include Sakuraba Heavy Industries, Granada Galaxy Group and Meredes & Co.
-You can support companies by providing them with Miranium or by defeating enemies with their weapons, which provides commercial points. As a company levels up, new equipment becomes available.
-You can use materials found around Mira to upgrade your equipment
-You can also use materials found around Mira to craft devices which can be slotted into equipment to power them up.
-Rare materials can be used to develop special equipment.

Finally, there's concept art for a sniper rifle

There's also part 2 of the Birth of BLADE short story, I'll probably post a translated version sometime tomorrow.

Edit: Also, there's new music on the main page and new header images.
This one in particular got my attention:

That's Celica, one of the three new playable characters that were briefly shown in the last stream. If they gave her a whole header image, I guess she might have a bigger role in the story than I initially thought. Also, is that thing on the side of her head what I think it is?

Doc V fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Mar 12, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I can't stop laughing at the battle music.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Dammit. Sawano, you just had to put lyrics in that, didn't you.

Music not as good as Xenoblade confirmed.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
jesus christ that song is horrid. Reminds me of Madworld, only worse, and doesn't suit the game in any way at all. You loving suck Sawano.

e: ahahahahha the engrish chorus is amazing.. "if you roosing your way you need ssoem protecteon"

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 12, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Since it's just playing over the action with no sound effects I'm assuming it not the main battle music you hear all the time.

Also it owns, gently caress the haters.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The lyrics actually propel the theme into greatness, and I decree that anyone who disagrees is wrong.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Sakurazuka posted:

Since it's just playing over the action with no sound effects I'm assuming it not the main battle music you hear all the time.

Also it owns, gently caress the haters.

The Youtube title is literally "Xenoblade X OST - Battle Theme (Official)" and somebody says you can hear the rap in a Treehouse demo so there's a good chance we'll hear the rapping in every generic battle. This song would be kinda OK if it weren't following up a game that had one of the best video game soundtracks in the last decade.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
A Sawano song that tells us to not lose our way? Why I never.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh. I hope they have a bunch of themes then because while I like it it's probably going to get old pretty quick.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Why'd they get rid of the previous music people? :( One Who Stands In Our Way and You Will Know Our Names were the best battle themes I'd ever heard in a JRPG, that new one is just garbage.

I guess it's not too bad until the lyrics start, but drat

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

every xenoblade chronicles is the worst in the series

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The Black Stones posted:

Music not as good as Xenoblade confirmed.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I've got a growing feeling this is going to be a mess, it's massively ambitious and there's obviously been a ton of work put in but there just seems to be a pileup of weird bad choices which just seem outright worse compared to Xenoblade. I'm calling it now a major complaint is going to be 'there's tons of interchangable characters who barely feature in the plot and all have generic skills' ala Chrono Cross for one, the character art and music seem a massive step backwards, the MMO quest structure seems like it's doubling down on Xenoblade's worst traits and the main storyline seems suspiciously like it's aiming for humourless anime melodrama over the lively shounen action show Xenoblade did

I'd really like to be wrong but the more they show of this game the more it seems like Xenoblade was a happy acident

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I've got a growing feeling this is going to be a mess, it's massively ambitious and there's obviously been a ton of work put in but there just seems to be a pileup of weird bad choices which just seem outright worse compared to Xenoblade. I'm calling it now a major complaint is going to be 'there's tons of interchangable characters who barely feature in the plot and all have generic skills' ala Chrono Cross for one, the character art and music seem a massive step backwards, the MMO quest structure seems like it's doubling down on Xenoblade's worst traits and the main storyline seems suspiciously like it's aiming for humourless anime melodrama over the lively shounen action show Xenoblade did

I'd really like to be wrong but the more they show of this game the more it seems like Xenoblade was a happy acident

lmao the loving game's not even out yet you goober. you're basing this on loving nothing

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Fungah! posted:

lmao the loving game's not even out yet you goober. you're basing this on loving nothing

Or the extensive gameplay trailers they've been showing to build hype :confused:

I mean I said outright maybe I'm wrong and I hope I am but what they're showing right now looks like it stinks

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Hm, I am going to disagree (with goon who has doubts about quality). The character design and music are definitely a step back, but those are extremely subjective things. Takahashi has worked with the character designer before and while I'm not huge on Sawano myself, his name is loving huge right now after working on stuff like Kill la Kill and Attack on Titan. They were definitely thinking of ways to get themselves more exposure. None of this is also gameplay related.

After seeing videos of the game in play and seeing how they seem to have a good grasp of what worked and what didn't in Xenoblade (having a dedicated healer was a poo poo idea because people used her as a crutch and it slowed down combat) they went into Xenoblade not only to impove upon what they did but make thing really different as well.

In short. Game will be great, don't worry so much.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Other then the awful characters models, I haven't seen anything else that raises concern about the quality. Everything else looks really solid. I'm excited to travel around the gameworld in huge mechs and kill giant beasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Or the extensive gameplay trailers they've been showing to build hype :confused:

I mean I said outright maybe I'm wrong and I hope I am but what they're showing right now looks like it stinks

yeah but you're saying the game's going to be a pile based on something that got a glancing mention in one of the promo materials (characters), not liking the art or music, and like no information on the main storyline somehow meaning that it's going to be anime melodrama. chill the hell out

• Locked thread