Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I assume Toxx knows about the quickie films, man.

One thing I don't know will ever be included in this thread, but I hope is reviewed before it shuts down, is the First Doctor drama movie from the other year. It would go well with Occ's passion for TV production, and all you need is a really basic idea of what some old Doctors look like that he has undoubtedly sponged up from this thread.

It was a fairly recently produced thing, but it can be watched at any time and would be helpful as the show as of late has been getting more and more indulgent in giving cameo spots to Classic Doctors with bits like the Hartnell library card gag. Previously, if it wasn't for Elizabeth Sladen it would have been possible to think the reboot was some AbramsTrek style AU.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

I assume Toxx knows about the quickie films, man.

One thing I don't know will ever be included in this thread, but I hope is reviewed before it shuts down, is the First Doctor drama movie from the other year. It would go well with Occ's passion for TV production, and all you need is a really basic idea of what some old Doctors look like that he has undoubtedly sponged up from this thread.

It was a fairly recently produced thing, but it can be watched at any time and would be helpful as the show as of late has been getting more and more indulgent in giving cameo spots to Classic Doctors with bits like the Hartnell library card gag. Previously, if it wasn't for Elizabeth Sladen it would have been possible to think the reboot was some AbramsTrek style AU.

Oh yeah, this would be a good one to review, maybe around the same time as the episode that aired at around the same time.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

That aired sometime late season 7 and I think its worth watching around then.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Little_wh0re posted:

That aired sometime late season 7 and I think its worth watching around then.

Yeah, it deserves to be watched alongside the other 50th anniversary productions.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Space and Time were aired between Christmas Carol and the start of season 6 I believe?

I hadn't seen those before but they remind me a lot of this, which was my first "classic" episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahl3R2a2wuY

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 10, 2015

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I'm almost a week late for this so it's no longer really relevant, but I can't let a mention of The Count of Monte Cristo pass me by without saying that it is the best adventure novel ever written. Return to discussion of the actual topic now.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

jesus loving christ amy just shot a loving kid

...suddenly i am sad I never watched this season

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

BSam posted:

Oh yeah, this would be a good one to review, maybe around the same time as the episode that aired at around the same time.

The point of the post was to say that aside from a production milestone, it has little relevance to the actual episodes produced around that time and can be enjoyed whenever.

It was one of those things I was thinking because the series has more and more references to the classic show from here on in, and I think a little history is probably a good thing in understanding how divisive people are about some episodes and Moffat in general.

It wasn't an order, or a demand, it was Just My Opinion.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

I might be one of those question marks in the rankings but I have no clue how. If the rest of the guesses are mostly Fs it's probably me :v:

El Pato
Jul 2, 2007

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
I am not in those rankings, my email stated my forum name clearly

Voted A

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

El Pato posted:

I am not in those rankings, my email stated my forum name clearly

Voted A

can you e-mail toxxtorwho@gmail.com so I can confirm some deets?

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Uh oh, not seeing myself up there. I sent an e-mail with my votes in and forgot to include my forum name, but I sent a follow-up when you mentioned it in the thread. Should I send another one?

Oops, Fixing

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Some of you are probably wondering about the unusually large gaps between writeups lately. Occupation has recently been going through some circumstances which are both completely benign and completely his business, so I'll leave it to him to share details if he likes and just say that our usually ironclad schedule will be more marshmallow-clad until things stabilize on his end. I told him to shut down the thread completely for the interim, but no, he wanted to keep going, because he is a human font of bad decisions.

Also, Terry Pratchett passed away this morning. Brief but philosophically significant mourning periods are mandatory for all participants of this thread.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

Oxxidation posted:

Also, Terry Pratchett passed away this morning. Brief but philosophically significant mourning periods are mandatory for all participants of this thread.

Buggrit.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN? :sigh:

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Words in the heart can't be taken away.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

2015 loving sucks so far. :sigh:

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

The Internet is going to be a wall of Discworld quotes for the next couple days. This is entirely appropriate and acceptable.

This one seems appropriate for a Doctor Who thread:

Hogfather posted:

And then Jack chopped down what was the world's last beanstalk, adding murder and ecological terrorism to the theft, enticement, and trespass charges already mentioned, and all the giant's children didn't have a daddy anymore. But he got away with it and lived happily ever after, without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done...which proves that you can be excused for just about anything if you are a hero, because no one asks inconvenient questions.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Tʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴀᴛʜ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴀʀʀɪᴏʀ ᴏʀ ᴛʜᴇ ᴏʟᴅ ᴍᴀɴ ᴏʀ ᴛʜᴇ ʟɪᴛᴛʟᴇ ᴄʜɪʟᴅ, ᴛʜɪs I ᴜɴᴅᴇʀsᴛᴀɴᴅ, ᴀɴᴅ I ᴛᴀᴋᴇ ᴀᴡᴀʏ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴀɪɴ ᴀɴᴅ ᴇɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ sᴜғғᴇʀɪɴɢ. I ᴅᴏ ɴᴏᴛ ᴜɴᴅᴇʀsᴛᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜɪs ᴅᴇᴀᴛʜ-ᴏғ-ᴛʜᴇ-ᴍɪɴᴅ.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The turtle moves.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
:(

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Words in the heart can never be taken. :smith:

Edit: Seems I got beaten but I'm sticking with it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's sad the man died, but he left behind a lasting legacy, and a history of making an unreasonably large amount of people happy during his lifetime. What more can anybody really ask for.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

The tweets announcing his death had me in tears for way longer than I'd like to admit.

gently caress

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

quote:

Mo0 1

The only appropriate way to start Series 6 :getin:

JoltSpree
Jul 19, 2012

"No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away..."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Several years ago I heard that Terry Pratchett was going to be at a scifi convention in Memphis. Though it was about a five hour drive for me, I had to go for the chance to meet him. So I got there and the convention was about as badly run as any mid-sized scifi con was so there was a ton of confusion. I wound up having to come back on the second day when he would have a signing and panel. Well, the signing was huge with an absurdly long line for the hour they had set aside for it. Seeing the line, I put the other two books I brought with me away and waited hours for the opportunity to meet him. He took time to talk to each person, most people got their picture taken with him, and as a result the line moved very slowly.

It turns out that time ran out right as I got to the front of the line. "Nuts. No more, I guess," I said (yes, I said "Nuts"; I wasn't going to be rude).

"Well, I'd do more, but then everyone else would want something signed," he said.

"Of course. I guess someone has to be last."

Well, Pratchett was rushed off to his panel by the convention organizers but then someone came up and said that there would be a second signing just for the people who were still waiting. We all got numbers in order and then late that night, after dinner, we dutifully lined up in the hotel lobby where he sat down in a chair and signed things on an end table.

Pratchett took a few minutes to joke with me, made some gentle fun of my name, and I thanked him deeply. If I've got one regret on that meeting it's that I should have given him some token of appreciation for taking the extra time at a bad convention to not give a few fans some disappointment.

That's my Pratchett story, and really this seems like the best time to share it.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?

Captain Fargle posted:

The tweets announcing his death had me in tears for way longer than I'd like to admit.

gently caress

That was when I cried today.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

About ten years ago my family went to the Hay Literary Festival. Pratchett was, and kind of still is, the closest thing I had to a literary hero. Imagine my excitement when I found out he was giving a talk that very day!

Imagine how I felt when my dad and sister went off to see him, and my mum took me to see Temple Grandin, the author who writes about her experiences being autistic, instead. I'd never heard of her, I think my mum thought it would help because I'd recently been diagnosed with Aspergers. It didn't. Never had another opportunity to meet Pratchett in person.

That's my Terry Pratchett story. Bitter? What gave you that impression?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Dabir posted:

About ten years ago my family went to the Hay Literary Festival. Pratchett was, and kind of still is, the closest thing I had to a literary hero. Imagine my excitement when I found out he was giving a talk that very day!

Imagine how I felt when my dad and sister went off to see him, and my mum took me to see Temple Grandin, the author who writes about her experiences being autistic, instead. I'd never heard of her, I think my mum thought it would help because I'd recently been diagnosed with Aspergers. It didn't. Never had another opportunity to meet Pratchett in person.

That's my Terry Pratchett story. Bitter? What gave you that impression?

Temple Grandin is really cool and writes about a lot besides autism, but man, it really sucks that your parents just up and made that decision for you instead of letting you see your literary hero. I am experiencing sympathy bitterness. I'm really sorry. :(

As for Sir Pratchett, I never read any of Discworld, and this seems like a very good time to begin remedying that situation. I really like what little I've read by him and I really admire the dignity with which he dealt with his illness. He was a class act and it is a shame he's gone.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
I met Terry Pratchett at the NA Discworld convention back in 2009. I don't remember much about his appearance there, except that he was funny and as upbeat as could be expected from an older man who'd just received an Alzheimer's diagnosis less than two years prior. I remember thinking he seemed tired and a little crabby, but I couldn't blame him.

He signed two of my novels, and he didn't personalize. I don't remember the reason given at the time. There was a little chit-chat but no posing for photos. I managed to tell him how important Discworld was to me, and Night Watch in particular and he made polite noises about it.

A day later, me and my close pal ran into him in the hotel hallway. He was surrounded by his people, but he was polite enough again to stop and shake our hands and smile at us before being shuffled away to whatever he had going on next.

That's what I remember about Terry Pratchett: he was a class fuckin' act. If I were in his position, I don't think I could be half as kind, gracious, and polite as he was.

Discworld still means a lot to me. :unsmith:

Anyway, that's my Terry Pratchett story.

(incidentally, I remember reading somewhere that he didn't like Doctor Who much)

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

He thought it had a lot of bad writing. But still enjoy it.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Which is about right

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The only book of his I've read is Guards! Guards!, and that was only in the last couple of months, but I really enjoyed it, so I would love to read more. Especially now that I've found out how many of my Facebook fans were apparently fans.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

http://www.gamesradar.com/guest-blog-terry-pratchett-on-doctor-who/

Terry Pratchett posted:

A decent detective story provides you with enough tantalising information to allow you to make a stab at a solution before the famous detective struts his stuff in the library. Doctor Who replaces this with speed, fast talking, and what appears to be that wonderful element "makeitupasyougalongeum". I don't know about you, but I don't think I would dare try to jump-start a spaceship that looks like the Titanic by diving it into the atmosphere... but I have to forgive the Doctor that, because it was hilariously funny.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

also:

quote:

I still preferred Torchwood , though, which tried so hard and came up with some memorable episodes, of which "Small Worlds" (the one about fairies) sticks most in the mind. It was clever.

:getin:

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Sisal Two-Step posted:

He signed two of my novels, and he didn't personalize. I don't remember the reason given at the time.

Don't know if this was the reason given, but the real reason is Alzheimer's. By that point he wasn't capable of reliably writing words, though he could still read and type. Signing a name is a lot easier.

His form of Alzheimer's was fairly rare; it was more to do with visual recognition and pattern association than simple memory loss. I think by 2012 he couldn't type or read; anything he wanted to write had to be dictated.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Plucky Brit posted:

Don't know if this was the reason given, but the real reason is Alzheimer's.

Alzheimer's is the worst :mad:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, though, his form of Alzheimers that left his cognition less degraded was probably the least cruel one. At least his sense of self remained until the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Poor Terry. I adored his books, and I heartily recommend anyone who hasn't have a crack at them now. They're light, but fascinating, and often extremely clever and heartwarming.

• Locked thread