Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really want an update already on the english version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The game itself will be great, just play it on mute and listen to the Xenoblade soundtrack instead. At the least the exploring components will be a lot of fun.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

also lol at saying this'll be anime melodrama and that xenoblade wasn't

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Fungah! posted:

xenoblade wasn't anime dad, gently caress

*kills god with magic laser sword and titty robot girlfriend and round furball mascot to recreate the world that was made by false science god*

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

They are just cartoons, calm down everyone.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

The Black Stones posted:

Hm, I am going to disagree (with goon who has doubts about quality). The character design and music are definitely a step back, but those are extremely subjective things. Takahashi has worked with the character designer before and while I'm not huge on Sawano myself, his name is loving huge right now after working on stuff like Kill la Kill and Attack on Titan. They were definitely thinking of ways to get themselves more exposure. None of this is also gameplay related.

After seeing videos of the game in play and seeing how they seem to have a good grasp of what worked and what didn't in Xenoblade (having a dedicated healer was a poo poo idea because people used her as a crutch and it slowed down combat) they went into Xenoblade not only to impove upon what they did but make thing really different as well.

In short. Game will be great, don't worry so much.

Most of the xenosaga games sucked and they are trying to make a cult classic that will never live up to the hype more like that poo poo series. I can see why people are down on the game.

edit mixed up saga and gears I feel bad.

snergle fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 12, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Monosoft under nintendo has a different development process than they did under SE and Bamco. I won't guarantee that it's going to be great, but no way in hell will it be a xenogears or xenosaga-type mess.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Fungah! posted:

Playing Xenoblade a second time through, it is definitely balls out anime but I still think the embarrassing anime parts are covered up by the charming British accents, down to earth rationale of the characters, and extremely solid script. You can have giant robots brandishing laser swords all day as long as the characters sound rational and are logical about it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

yeah, you convinced me this games going to be loving terrible gently caress everything i have nothing left to live for

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

This thread is more pessimistic than the FF thread is on XV lol

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

snergle posted:

Most of the xenosaga games sucked and they are trying to make a cult classic that will never live up to the hype more like that poo poo series. I can see why people are down on the game.

edit mixed up saga and gears I feel bad.

Okay, but get this. The same people who made Xenosaga? Also made Xenoblade. Which this game, seems to eerily have a lot more in common with at the moment, taking art style out of the picture.

hosed up, but true.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Louisgod posted:

Playing Xenoblade a second time through, it is definitely balls out anime but I still think the embarrassing anime parts are covered up by the charming British accents, down to earth rationale of the characters, and extremely solid script. You can have giant robots brandishing laser swords all day as long as the characters sound rational and are logical about it.

I mean what the gently caress ever, like what you like. You don't have to do any weird logical contortions to justify liking anime poo poo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

"this game, despite having cool and interesting characters, gameplay, and story, is an anime and thus i shan't enjoy it, good day"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

anime is blood

Fungah! posted:

You don't have to do any weird logical contortions to justify liking anime poo poo
the early stages of the vita thread were great for those

before they embraced the anime

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Motto posted:

anime is blood

Hmm. Anime is blood.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The story doesn't seem so bad, arrive on a new planet and fight aliens.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

yeah, they basically haven't said anything about the story other than "Earth blew up, now you're on a new planet and there's aliens. you live in LA."

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I'm mostly wondering how they are going to handle the character development and story of this one, what with having a create-a-character protag now. I wonder if they will put more weight on the supporting cast to carry things, or lighten the amount of story or character development in general? Or go the Mass Effect route and still make you be a relatively fixed protag but with some wiggle room for your personality.

But I'm a bit worried it'll end being more like an MMO where people just talk at you and you have 0 personality or something.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Fungah! posted:

Sorry did you miss the bit where I said said Xenoblade had a great shounen plot? I get it's an anime series through and through but Xenoblade had a pretty snappy plot with clear character motivations and an action focus, Xenoblade X has a blank slate protagonist, a cast of like fifteen and is written by the guy who wrote that really bad Gundam show.

Anyways some of the gameplay improvements do look pretty good and I don't wanna disparge things unfairly, it just seems like the only thing which has any character at all right now is the environments

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm expecting that you'll be mostly doing yes/no stuff while the party does a lot of the emoting. The MC won't be much of a standout, but I feel that they're going for more of a "you are just one part of the group that's working to fight aliens and survive on this planet" vibe rather than "you're the one special guy who can change the world with the help of your buddies", so it could work.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Sorry did you miss the bit where I said said Xenoblade had a great shounen plot? I get it's an anime series through and through but Xenoblade had a pretty snappy plot with clear character motivations and an action focus, Xenoblade X has a blank slate protagonist, a cast of like fifteen and is written by the guy who wrote that really bad Gundam show.

Anyways some of the gameplay improvements do look pretty good, it just seems like the only thing which has any character at all right now is the environments

you're focusing on the wrong word. xenoblade's got all kinds of crazy melodrama going on (the game opens with your girlfriend getting killed by a robot for god's sakes) and the implication that "the main storyline seems suspiciously like it's aiming for humourless anime melodrama" unlike xenoblade is pretty funny

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Fungah! posted:

you're focusing on the wrong word. xenoblade's got all kinds of crazy melodrama going on (the game opens with your girlfriend getting killed by a robot for god's sakes) and the implication that "the main storyline seems suspiciously like it's aiming for humourless anime melodrama" unlike xenoblade is pretty funny

Okay if you're going to be pedantic let's say 'turgid' instead, Xenoblade used melodrama to drive it's plot pretty well, Shulk got mad and hot blooded and beat things up (or tried at least). Pretty much everyone in this are military personnel who's main character trait seems to be 'takes job seriously', I dunno maybe it'll still be good but it seems like they have alot less to work with and the huge focus they're placing on working for corporations and doing MMO quest stuff makes me think the game and the plot are going to have a casual relationship at best anyway

Honestly I don't know why you're getting so bent out of shape about this, I hope it'll still be good and I'm still keeping a close eye on it, it just looks to me like they've made alot of weird decisions which are moving away from what I actually liked about the first game

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

doublepost

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Battle theme is rad yo. Especially compared to how the battle theme on Bionis was Yoko doing her absolute best at making a dull Kingdom Hearts battle theme.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I've already figured out what the entirety of the xenoblade x story is going to be. Stay a while and listen if you'd like to hear it. Also anime and MMOs. Dicks and balls

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

gigawhite posted:

I've already figured out what the entirety of the xenoblade x story is going to be. Stay a while and listen if you'd like to hear it. Also anime and MMOs. Dicks and balls

I'm intrigued. Please, continue.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm really sorry to anyones feels I've damaged in this thread by posting tentatively negative things about a video game

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

"gently caress," Shulk says as he looks over the barren techno-future, which is dirty and ruined because of corporations. He is older and has obviously hosed. In this future there are slaves. Media has turned everyone into consuming, pathetic zombies. "loving poo poo!!!" Shulk says. Xeno by Eidos Interactive Toronto Subdivision

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

gigawhite posted:

"gently caress," Shulk says as he looks over the barren techno-future, which is dirty and ruined because of corporations. He is older and has obviously hosed. In this future there are slaves. Media has turned everyone into consuming, pathetic zombies. "loving poo poo!!!" Shulk says. Xeno by Eidos Interactive Toronto Subdivision

lmao

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
That rap song sounds very silly and cool.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

gigawhite posted:

"It's Reyn Time, bitch!!", said Reyn as he entered the Monado Man, Bionis's Leg's top gay club

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Louisgod posted:

charming British accents, down to earth rationale of the characters, and extremely solid script

I'm afraid of losing these things :( I hope the characters appear competent in this one.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kurtofan posted:

"It's Reyn Time, bitch!!", said Reyn as he entered the Monado Man, Bionis's Leg's top gay club

I'd play it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

'I'm really feeling it!' - Shulk, five minutes later

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

"I am Dunban...attack me, if you dare!" shouts Dunban as he enters the room.
"It takes all colors to make a Reynbow." says Reyn, readying himself.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
My only disappointment so far is that we still don't have an NA release date for this poo poo.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Fungah! posted:

yeah but you're saying the game's going to be a pile based on something that got a glancing mention in one of the promo materials (characters), not liking the art or music, and like no information on the main storyline somehow meaning that it's going to be anime melodrama. chill the hell out

the lack of a book on this game makes me think there isnt a book. This has me worried.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Junkie Disease posted:

the lack of a book on this game makes me think there isnt a book. This has me worried.

You want to read a book? Well, you're in luck:

The Birth of BLADE

A Xenoblade Chronicles X short story by Takeda Yuuichirou

PART.2 - A sphere of water floating in empty space.
Blue and beautiful, our homeland - Earth

It was like a single jewel shining in the abyss. Like a signpost to the future suspended in the darkness. It captured our hearts, shook them vigorously, and won't let go.

When was the last time I saw it? Was it during the DM engine training examination, when we rose to geostationary orbit? Or was it when we visited the Moon base for the inspection? Or maybe-
At any rate, it was not when the "White Whale" set sail. Of that, at least, I'm certain. Back then we only looked ahead. We saw a gap, an unexplored abyss, between the great alien fleets blocking our path. We had our eyes on nothing else when we embarked on our journey and had no time to look back at our beautiful homeland floating behind us.
And we will never again see it with our own eyes, because the Earth was annihilated in that battle...

Kentarou Nagi was dreaming. He dreamt of the homeland he had lost two years ago.
Perhaps dreams are like fleeting wind-wrought patterns in the sands of memory. Against the winds of awakening, they cannot hold their shapes and fade away.
Waking up surrounded by darkness, Nagi felt as if the Earth had just disappeared before his eyes, and the feeling of loss brought him to tears.
(Yes, I- we, we lost it. We lost Earth...)
And then he remembered. He hadn't just woken up from slumber, he had regained his consciousness after passing out from a violent impact.

His name was Kentarou Nagi, and he was a commodore in the United Earth Government Army as well as the captain of the "White Whale", an enormous colony ship that bore part of the burden in the plan to relocate all species on Earth.
The plan to relocate all species on Earth - it was a plan to move the species that had originated on Earth to other heavenly bodies in the event that their homeworld was destroyed. It had been created by humankind to ensure that the destruction of their living environment would not lead to the extinction of all terrestrial life-forms.
The destruction of Earth itself was something the United Earth Government had predicted over thirty years before. No, rather, that prediction had caused the formation of the United Government in the first place.
It was back then that humanity found out the truth - that we weren't orphans of the cosmos, that neighboring species lived all over in the galaxy.
At the same time, we became aware of an existential risk to our species. Based on the characteristics of the substances that made up their bodies, countless races had divided into two superpowers that were waging an endless war, and there was a possibility that the focal point of that war would shift towards our Earth.

From that point on, humankind amassed the majority of its resources together to prepare for what was to come. We formed the United Earth Government and split our people, wealth and resources between plans for defense and survival. Of course, there were plenty of those who refused to ally with the people who would form the main faction of the United Government, but there was a global understanding that petty squabbling would lead to the total annihilation of their futures. For that purpose, the many closed their eyes and ears from the unhappiness and indignation of the few.
And so, the United Government developed their two pillars: the technology to stand up against the alien powers and the technology to escape Earth and survive.

Among their innovations were humanoid mobile weapons - Dolls. They were a trump card created to counter the aliens, based on extraterrestrial technologies. They were all-purpose weapons powered by energy transmitted from a mothership rather than an internal combustion engine. This allowed their frames to be miniaturized, and in a little under a decade a considerable number of them were produced, securing Earth's defense.
...Or so we thought.
(Maybe we... were too naive)
Nagi didn't embellish his memories. Thanks to the Dolls and the DM engines powering them, Earth's military strength grew rapidly, becoming several, even tens of times more powerful than it had been. And yet, humanity couldn't do anything.
The two alien superpowers clashed in the vicinity of Earth. Caught between one enormous force colliding with another, the strength that humans wielded was far too diminutive. When the dragon battles the tiger, it's impossible for the single ant at their feet to protect its nest, even if it is tens of times stronger than usual.
The only thing left for humanity to do was to entrust everything to a fleet of colony ships. Escape, survive and prosper somewhere else.
Bearing the weight of that wish, Nagi and his crew escaped Earth, never looking back. They averted their eyes from the bright flash behind them - from the sight of the planet that had nurtured them being engulfed in a massive explosion.

And thus, captained by Nagi, the colony ship "White Whale" left on its journey. However, after a two-year voyage its pursuers finally caught up. One of the two alien powers had come to dispose of them and assaulted them with a squad of biomechanical weapons. The terrifying living weapons phased through the walls of the residential district and invaded the ship's interior. Even worse, each of them carried an antimatter core at the center its body. The White Whale faced grave danger, infiltrated by biological war machines that could not be attacked recklessly.
It was one young man who saved the White Whale from the invaders. His heroic acts drove the living weapons out of the ship, but both he and the Doll he was piloting went missing in the process.
Unfortunately, the White Whale's crisis was far from over: an unknown planet stood right in their path, despite not being recorded in any of the star charts they had obtained before departure.
"Why didn't anyone notice the planet until now? Were we so preoccupied with the pursuers? Or maybe..."
Having sustained severe damage to its hull, the White Whale had no means of escaping the planet's gravity. Nagi took control on the bridge and, knowing that an emergency landing was unavoidable, took every measure to minimize the damage while piloting the ship.
Then came the impact, and then blackness. While he was unconscious, he saw a pleasant dream of Earth - and then he woke up.
"Wh, where...?"
"Yo, Nagi, you awake?"
A voice that was very familiar to him responded. It was commander Van Damme, the chief engineer of the White Whale who had been Nagi's friend for decades. Even though they were now a superior and an underling, they continued to ignore each other's ranks.
"Van Damme, situation report..."
"It ain't good... but I'd say we got pretty lucky"
Van Damme briefly explained the situation. The White Whale had broken apart in the upper layers of the planet's atmosphere and the pieces had scattered on the surface. Their piece only contained the bridge and a few of the attached sections, and he hadn't seen any of the other pieces in the surrounding area.
"Then- what about the planet's environment? Is it habitable?"
Van Damme stayed silent and pointed with his right hand. Nagi turned his head and was dumbstruck. A large fissure ran across the outer wall and he could see the night sky through it.
"The air... is breathable?"
"There's more. The temperature is twenty degrees Celsius, the gravity is 0.94 Gs and radiation levels are within safety limits... Seems like we can live here without any protection at all"
"That's- an unknown planet just coincidentally-"
"Maybe it ain't a coincidence, maybe someone planned it this way - we should send them a thank-you-card"
It was just like Van Damme said. It was very unfortunate that the ship had broken apart - it meant that humanity's journey towards a new home could no longer continue. However, the environment at their last stop was habitable without any terraforming at all, and it would've been an understatement to call that miraculous. Nagi couldn't help but feel that someone, whether it was God or the Devil, had been guiding them with an invisible hand.
"Where's the rest of the bridge crew?"
"All working. Scouting, restoring power, gathering usable supplies - there's lots to do around here. The only one still passed out is..."
A young female operator lay collapsed on her console near Nagi. If memory served, she was a rookie named ensign Mei.
"I'm second to last, huh? Getting old sucks"
"The hell you talkin' about!?"
Van Damme forcefully slapped Nagi's back. It was a rough way of showing praise, but the praise was deserved. On the bridge that shook as they pierced into the atmosphere, Nagi had withstood the impacts while piloting the ship to the last. The rest of the crew had assumed brace positions, but he didn't have that luxury. It was no wonder it had taken him so long to wake up.
Even so, the first one to wake up had been the chief engineer, even though he had continued to operate the auxiliary DM engine instead of preparing for the impact. It seemed his tenacious body was on a whole different level from the others.

"Uh, ugghhh..."
A faint voice announced the awakening of the last crew member. Mei sat up and looked around. It seemed that somehow, the bridge crew were all uninjured.
"Captain, chief engineer-!"
Mei hurriedly stood at attention and saluted. Nagi forced a smile.
"There's no need to observe etiquette in a situation like this"
"Knock it off, we're all stranded here together like some kinda Robinson Crusoes"
"R-roger!"
Mei raised her hand to salute again, but stopped halfway and nodded instead. It seemed the youth had a very diligent personality. Nagi smiled, reminded of the other youth who had disappeared into the void of space. Nagi had known him since he was young, and the White Whale had been saved thanks to him.
(No, it's too early to think we've been saved. Right now, we need to save ourselves. Sorry, but I'll have to forget about you for now...)
Nagi quickly began issuing instructions on whatever came to mind. One by one, the bridge crew that had scattered into the surrounding area assembled and requested his orders. Indeed, they had to save themselves, because unlike Robinson Crusoe, they had no homeland waiting for their return beyond the sea...

If they were to thank the designers of the White Whale, the first person they'd have thanked was whoever had had the foresight to fit every section with artificial gravity generators.
Originally, the colony ship had been expected to travel for a long time, so the devices had been installed to prevent the crew from adapting to a zero gravity environment.
Artificial gravity generators consume a lot of energy, so there had been heavy opposition, but in addition to spreading and preserving Earth's species their colony also had the important goal of preserving their lifestyles. To that end, an Earth city had been reproduced inside the residential block, so that it could later be relocated to the surface of the planet they settled.
Its structure placed a burden on the resources of the ship, but the new technology known as the DM engine could endure it.
In any case, the artificial gravity absorbed most of the impact of crashing on the surface of the roughly 1G planet and the bridge avoided critical damage thanks to its independent gravity generators. The other scattered blocks should've been mostly safe as well.
"First, we'll have to find the other sections. Our main priority is the residential block, then the DM engine section and third... the Lifes"
Nagi explained to the bridge crew who were silently waiting for his orders. The residential section would become the headquarters they'd need to survive on the planet. The main DM engine had sustained heavy damage, but the auxiliary engine still worked. To lead civilized lives, a base and an energy source were indispensable. And then...
"Lifes, huh? We need to find 'em fast"
Van Damme muttered, arms folded and a serious look on his face. The Lifes were, in a sense, the most precious cargo of the colony ship. Most of the colonists who had left Earth were sleeping within the stasis pods.
"My big brother and parents are in stasis, so..."
Mei muttered, looking uneasy. The only people who had been awake within the White Whale were the piloting crew, essential military personnel and the Life maintenance staff. It wasn't uncommon to have family among the sleepers.
But even if they had endured the crash, the Lifes' systems would shut down if they ran out of energy. To save the sleepers inside, they had to find the Lifes before that, whatever the cost. The time they had left wasn't short, but it certainly wasn't long, either.
"Well then, we'll start looking for the other pieces. First-"
Nagi started issuing orders and then suddenly fell silent.
"Hey, Nagi..."
"Yeah, I noticed"
It seemed Van Damme, too, had realized that they weren't alone. It was a night in a strange land, only illuminated by scant starlight just like the nights on Earth. In the darkness, something was breathing heavily. Ragged breathing and the sound of the ground being stomped. It did not seem to care about hiding its presence, so it probably wasn't a sentient life-form. If it wasn't one of the pursuing aliens, it must've been a native inhabitant.
But whether it was an alien coming to exterminate humans or an indigenous predator approaching its prey, it posed a risk regardless. In an unknown world, they had to use their own strength to defend themselves from imminent threats.
"...Does everyone have a firearm?"
Everyone nodded to Nagi's question.
"Good, we'll intercept them here. We would be at a disadvantage outside where there's no cover"
The approaching enemies were likely nocturnal creatures and the crew had no chance if the fight devolved into a brawl. To avoid raising a panic, Nagi made an effort to sound calm as he announced:
"Everyone, put your backs together and form a circle. Shoot the foes in front of you, leave your flanks and rear to the others - here they come!"
A shadow, close in size to a human, jumped in from the crack in the bridge's outer wall. It was an indigenous creature that would later be named "Silnea". During the day, they're docile creatures found hanging from trees, but at night they become ferocious. They would've been no threat if the crew had mobile weapons, but the only weapons stored on the bridge were Battle Assault and Attack Assault type small caliber portable firearms. It was only natural, as you wouldn't expect the battles that take place on the bridge of a space ship to involve more than suppressing insurrections or close-quarters-combat. It was thought that using high output weaponry would cause a serious risk of hull breach.
However, this battle had broken out in a situation where maintaining airtightness wasn't an issue. Nevertheless, the bridge crew fought back valiantly. Nagi's commands proved wise and they were able to stay calm while counterattacking, to great effect. They also no doubt found solace in the figure of Van Damme, facing the large crevice and looking formidable with a powerful Strike Assault in hand. He was the chief engineer, but he also had the air of a veteran soldier and with each pull of the trigger he blasted away the unknown creatures in the darkness.
(Looks like we'll make it...)
It would be too harsh to chalk up Nagi's optimism to carelessness, as they were still severely lacking in their knowledge of the unexplored planet.
Perhaps due to some kind of a genetic prank, mutations are common among the various creatures of this planet. There are individuals that far surpass others of their kind in physical strength and intelligence, sometimes even in body size. The thing that appeared right outside the White Whale's bridge at that moment was one of those transcendent individuals - Overeds.
When the huge - far too huge - native life-form appeared on the other side of the opening, Nagi and his crew felt no fear. It was like their sense of reality was hindered or the processing power of their brains had suddenly declined. Maybe their danger-sensing nerves had become numb, because the group was hypnotized by the enormous beast.
Or maybe they mistook it for one of the race of the gods. The giant beast raised what appeared to be its forelegs into the air - and until it brought them crashing down, the group didn't move a single step.

To be continued...

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
JCVD for the win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I feel this need to want to import the Japanese version of Xenoblade X. Really wish Nintendo would start talking about the English version.

• Locked thread