Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

never touch a spinning bey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Studio posted:

H A R D M O D E

wow

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

If I had to guess, the intended method there is to... knock over the first guy in the room, pick up his bat/pipe, throw it at the shotgun guy, pick up his shotgun, blast the fat guy, use the last two bullets to force the samurai to duck to buy some time, pick up a melee weapon, clean up.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Songbearer posted:

Don't get me wrong, I really love this game and I'm having a blast playing it. There are just some very valid criticisms that shouldn't be ignored (And can possibly be fixed in later patches).

Whoever said that this is the Doom 2 to Doom 1 is completely and utterly right. Those games were largely the same, but Doom 2's level design was nowhere near as clean and simple as Doom 1's, which wound up working against it. In Doom 2 there were still a bunch of fun and memorable missions, but the run n' gun gameplay of the original was severely hampered by levels which punished you for rushing through them until you got very, very good, enemies who were a lot more annoying than they should be and mechanics that needed to be exploited rather than mastered. There were a lot of people who liked Doom 2, but it felt like a departure from the simplicity of the first.

It's the same here. The core gameplay of HLM2 is still very fun, the Fans feel great to play as, there are a fair few characters who have mechanics that could be a lot of fun but the level design works against you in very major ways to ensure they never really get to have their full potential. What made the original game great is still present and accounted for: The first 7 or so levels are incredible fun, but then the game gets too ambitious and the simplicity of the game just isn't there anymore. Not in a way that's entertaining at least: You'll play this game in a method that works, not a method that's fun. Corner popping and a giant pile of guns and bodies isn't anywhere near as cool as blitzing through hallways as Corey blasting people and rolling weapon to weapon, but that's what you gotta do later on.

I'd disagree. Both Doom 1 and 2 had their misses, but ultimately produced some good maps. Episode 3 and 4 of Doom 1 are damned near unplayable compared to the functionality of Episode 1. HLM2 feels more like the Master Levels (a community project with an official release), or Mario's Lost Levels. Those games were created by community "pros" who had these specific difficult level runs in mind, with little options in how you played the game. Lost Levels always required precise jumping, blind leaps, and gimmicks like running off the top of the screen. This is opposed to having different options here and there in the original SMB. Hell, some guy got the lowest score in Mario 1 by goofing around with mechanics to get around coins and such, while you're almost railroaded in SMB2J/ Lost Levels. Master Levels were kind of the same way. Lots of railroading through what the designer considers the correct designed run (as an aside, I still hate the modders who still force you to fight Baron of Hells with the basic shotgun, that poo poo is so boring).

HLM 2 requires you to do things like fire off-screen, conserve ammo, take a precise route, exploit AI, etc. It feels like it was created by a "fan." The type of fan who obsessively plays the game, thinking of cool runs and gimmicks he can throw in. Maybe he decides levels can look more realistic (definitely a Doom 2 pratfall) without regards to how someone who didn't envision it would have to play it. The lack of the mask choice like in HLM 1 is telling in that if we were to have the choice of any HLM 1 mask mutator, the levels would either be ten times easier (dark levels), or completely unwinnable (more guns).

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Zinkraptor posted:

If I had to guess, the intended method there is to... knock over the first guy in the room, pick up his bat/pipe, throw it at the shotgun guy, pick up his shotgun, blast the fat guy, use the last two bullets to force the samurai to duck to buy some time, pick up a melee weapon, clean up.

It's easier than it looks because the shotgun guy has reduced vision and won't see you when you come in. You basically sneak up and hit him as he's coming out of one of the alcoves at the top or bottom

I just beat the game on hard and yeah, it didn't really do much to change how I felt first time round. (It probably made things worse because hard is basically more guns/windows/fat guys/exploiting AI/doorways)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zinkraptor posted:

Basically what you have to do is the logical endpoint of what you have to do in the normal mode version: You have to bait the melee guy closest to the door outside without you going into the hallway because that erects an invisible wall behind you so you can't go back out, then kill him. Then you take his weapon and either bait the next melee guy or throw it at him and execute him if he's out of the line of sight of the fat dude. THEN you have to wait until the shotgun guy is about to come around the corner and bum-rush him, hopefully killing him instead of knocking him down so you can backpedal while the fat guy and the sword guys chase you; THEN you have to kill the sword guys while running circles around the fat guy until you can get back to the shotgun and swap your melee for it and shoot the fat guy.

good loving luck

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

In the second part of Subway on hard mode, how the hell are you supposed to deal with the guy with the chainsaw? I tried hitting him with melee swings, nothing - I tried hulking out and shooting him, he just ducks it. I tried throwing weapons at him, same thing as if you shoot him. The level won't let me leave while he's still up but I can't figure out how I'm supposed to knock him out.

Get angry and your melee swings will kill him. Get angry by executing two dudes on the ground (to death, not just unconscious). It's dumb.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Get really, really mad that video games aren't considered Art by whatever definition of Art you prefer.
The weird thoughts and emotions either HM manages to coax out of people make them some of the artest art anyone's ever arted.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

It's easier than it looks because the shotgun guy has reduced vision and won't see you when you come in. You basically sneak up and hit him as he's coming out of one of the alcoves at the top or bottom

I just beat the game on hard and yeah, it didn't really do much to change how I felt first time round. (It probably made things worse because hard is basically more guns/windows/fat guys/exploiting AI/doorways)

I ended up standing in the doorway, killing the melees, and then throwing a knife at the shotgun dude. This let me kill everyone else and save the fatty for last.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, I'm dense.
I just realized (Final mission spoilers) that the visions The Son gets in the final mission is him killing all the Fans during their Death Wish massacre, ending with the two headed swan dragon being Ash and Alex on the roof. The tiger you meet manages to escape, which is reflected in Tony being alive after Death Wish.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 13, 2015

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Yeah as a fan of all the involved games I also have to strongly disagree with the Doom:Doom2::HLM:HLM2 comparison. Doom 2 is the mechanical perfection of the first game. but it gives the player a single addition to their arsenal so powerful it changes the rules of engagement by virtue of existing, then it adds in a handful of cool enemies to add new depth to encounters. For the most part HLM2 -removes- options from the player, through both level design and by limiting or outright removing your mask choice.

I feel like calling Doom 2 "a departure from the simplicity of the first" is also sort of ridiculous.

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

crosshair is buggy in a lot of levels. poo poo is killing me when it happens towards the end of a level and i gotta reset.

game is dope but flawed

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Nobody's made a Monkey Ball comparison yet, I think.

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running
If we're doing Doom/Doom 2 comparisons we might as well say Doom 2's campaign was poo poo outside of a few levels but it gave modders a assload of new toys and tools to use to make really good levels. :colbert:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I really really want a shitload more Alex/Ash levels. Those two feel the most fun to play of all the characters because it's such a cool take on the melee/ranged gameplay (Buggy pathfinding notwithstanding).

Alex and Ash are the ones that have the most payoff for playing the game like it's HLM1.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Tiler Kiwi posted:

story stuff

The more I mull over it the more I dislike it as a story but like it more as an artistic expression.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Some dumb idiot posted:

If we're doing Doom/Doom 2 comparisons we might as well say Doom 2's campaign was poo poo outside of a few levels but it gave modders a assload of new toys and tools to use to make really good levels. :colbert:

Well yeah at this point the value of Doom is that it is an incredibly solid ruleset for creating levels with, neither of the original WADs are that important anymore.

That said, I feel like it's important to note that people say Doom 2 is poo poo these days with the perspective of twenty years of good-rear end content made by the community. Back when Doom 2 was new, the levels seemed pretty good!

quote:

I really really want a shitload more Alex/Ash levels. Those two feel the most fun to play of all the characters because it's such a cool take on the melee/ranged gameplay (Buggy pathfinding notwithstanding).

Alex and Ash are the ones that have the most payoff for playing the game like it's HLM1.

Pretty much, got my first S rank with the swans. They're buggy but still own bones!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Songbearer posted:

Goddamn, that last sewer level map was so fun. Run in, chainsaw three regular guys in a row and end with a perfect gutshot on the fat guy, then proceed down the hallway and rack up like 8 more kills. By the end it was getting to where I could almost clear the entire floor out in one run.

I think the sewer level with the swans was the only A ranking I've gotten in this game.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

http://gfycat.com/SpectacularDecisiveAngelwingmussel

Best beginning of level.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

It could well be both. The game's a jumble of mixed metaphors when it comes to the movie crew stuff- in particular the detective and actor parts are really unclear. It's like they cut several additional missions from each of them.

I asked on Twitter and they said no levels were cut.

I felt like The Fans had levels cut and The Son had any interesting ideas for his techniques cut. :v:

The Detective every story segment he's in is a different indicator that he's the Miami Mutilator despite (maybe) not being aware of it. He wants Evan to write about it, he hallucinates film crews around the victims, he's angry at Tony for stealing his spotlight, he leaves notes indicating he's being forced because Jacket claimed he was being forced to kill, he loudly claims to hate the press despite inserting himself into the center of situations and he dreams of himself as being a movie star. I feel he might not be aware of it because Richard is uncertain as to why he does the things that he does.

The Pig Butcher as someone else earlier in the thread pointed out (Tiler Kiwi maybe? Not sure.) is basically a mini version of the entire plot. He becomes obsessed with violence until it ultimately consumes him for reasons he doesn't understand.

Plan Z posted:

HLM 2 requires you to do things like fire off-screen, conserve ammo, take a precise route, exploit AI, etc. It feels like it was created by a "fan." The type of fan who obsessively plays the game, thinking of cool runs and gimmicks he can throw in. Maybe he decides levels can look more realistic (definitely a Doom 2 pratfall) without regards to how someone who didn't envision it would have to play it. The lack of the mask choice like in HLM 1 is telling in that if we were to have the choice of any HLM 1 mask mutator, the levels would either be ten times easier (dark levels), or completely unwinnable (more guns).

Dark levels only affect you in HLM 1, but Leon would make it easier. :eng101:

I hope the level editor isn't too restricted. The leak only let you fight certain groups as certain characters so if you wanted to say, make the game playable by The Fans you could only fight gangsters and mobsters. So no cover shooters, or samurai, etc.

Broken Cog posted:

Man, I'm dense.
I just realized (Final mission spoilers) that the visions The Son gets in the final mission is him killing all the Fans during their Death Wish massacre, ending with the two handed swan dragon being Ash and Alex on the roof. The tiger you meet manages to escape, which is reflected in Tony being alive after Death Wish.

I liked the 'box art' when I realized what it was.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 12, 2015

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Was surprised to see no Power Glove in the soundtrack listing, as far as I could tell anyway. "Hunters" would've been perfect for it, but maybe they thought that song got plenty of mileage out of Hobo With a Shotgun and Farcry3: Blood Dragon 1.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Anatharon posted:

I asked on Twitter and they said no levels were cut.

I felt like The Fans had levels cut and The Son had any interesting ideas for his techniques cut. :v:

Yeah, I trust the devs zero on that, especially Jake's missions, since his entire plotline is disconnected from everything else aside from being a way to unlock the secret level.

Anatharon posted:

The Detective every story segment he's in is a different indicator that he's the Miami Mutilator despite (maybe) not being aware of it. He wants Evan to write about it, he hallucinates film crews around the victims, he's angry at Tony for stealing his spotlight, he leaves notes indicating he's being forced because Jacket claimed he was being forced to kill, he loudly claims to hate the press despite inserting himself into the center of situations and he dreams of himself as being a movie star. I feel he might not be aware of it because Richard is uncertain as to why he does the things that he does.

The Pig Butcher as someone else earlier in the thread pointed out (Tiler Kiwi maybe? Not sure.) is basically a mini version of the entire plot. He becomes obsessed with violence until it ultimately consumes him for reasons he doesn't understand.

I understand the Detective line's motivations, but a lot of the content of the Caught mission doesn't actually make very much sense. And I don't think the game has a coherent framing of the actor's story- there's no actual indication that he's crazy at all aside from a statement from him that he's having disturbing dreams.

You could
1. Make an entire very good game out of the Fans and the Son's plotlines, or
2. Make a very good game out of the plotline of one or the other,
3. Make one about the detective and the reporter,
4. Make one out of Jake, Richter and other past 50 Blessings soldiers, or
5. Maybe (maybe) make one out of Beard's story.

You could make an incredible game that used all of these characters, except maybe Jake, but it would need roughly twice as many missions and a lot more characterization of everyone involved, especially the Fans.

edit: Oh, crap. The bald guy on the cover isn't the Henchman or Richter, it's Brando.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 12, 2015

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Video game culture.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Some dumb idiot posted:

Yep, and the level editor may be the part of HM2 I'm most looking forward to :v:

Too bad we don't get it for awhile.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

quakster posted:

The weird thoughts and emotions either HM manages to coax out of people make them some of the artest art anyone's ever arted.

Right, but some folks will consider it a mindless violence simulator with no inherent value, which is honestly a fair opinion and anyone is welcome to it. The problem is when others jump on that bandwagon as hard as they possibly can to show how much they get Real Art and write stupid poo poo like that tweet.

Basically HM games own, Art is whatever you want Art to be, and that dude's a giant wiener.

Big Mad Drongo fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 12, 2015

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Yeah, I trust the devs zero on that, especially Jake's missions, since his entire plotline is disconnected from everything else aside from being a way to unlock the secret level.

I understand the Detective line's motivations, but a lot of the content of the Caught mission doesn't actually make very much sense. And I don't think the game has a coherent framing of the actor's story- there's no actual indication that he's crazy at all aside from a statement from him that he's having disturbing dreams.

You're getting the actor confused with the henchman. There is no doubt at all that the actor's losing his mind.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Do people actually listen to this guy or are all his followers people who think he's a nice train wreck to watch? Because god drat is he a never-ending source of stupidity. He's like someone who enjoys pissing people off, but he's rationalized his douchebag attitude as something positive because he's being a dick for "progressiveness" or whatever.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SunAndSpring posted:

Do people actually listen to this guy or are all his followers people who think he's a nice train wreck to watch? Because god drat is he a never-ending source of stupidity. He's like someone who enjoys pissing people off, but he's rationalized his douchebag attitude as something positive because he's being a dick for "progressiveness" or whatever.
The former, simply because he opposes GamerGate

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
I didn't see the Janitors' appearence show up in the thread at all, what's up with that ?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The former, simply because he opposes GamerGate

But he's an idiot.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Anatharon posted:

One detail I have seen mentioned by anyone from Final Cut is the script on the table in the apartment. It describes Pig Butcher arriving in the interrogation room, but instead of being shot, he attacks the girl again (the script cuts off but further rape is implied). So Martin might not even have known how the scene was really going to go. It also adds to the idea that the Director is the one who switched in a real gun, since he'd be the one you'd expect to control everyone's copies of the script. Ultimately Martin dies, for reasons he doesn't understand, without even thinking he could be hurt in that moment. Live by the meat hammer, die by the meat hammer.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Ledgy posted:

I didn't see the Janitors' appearence show up in the thread at all, what's up with that ?

The devs are 'saying their goodbyes' as it's the end of the series.

Discendo Vox posted:

You could
1. Make an entire very good game out of the Fans and the Son's plotlines, or
2. Make a very good game out of the plotline of one or the other,
3. Make one about the detective and the reporter,
4. Make one out of Jake, Richter and other past 50 Blessings soldiers, or
5. Maybe (maybe) make one out of Beard's story.

You could make an incredible game that used all of these characters, except maybe Jake, but it would need roughly twice as many missions and a lot more characterization of everyone involved, especially the Fans.

edit: Oh, crap. The bald guy on the cover isn't the Henchman or Richter, it's Brando.

Cover of what?

Yeah I really do feel like they could have made just one plotline into a full game. It's the reason I was really sad when Corey, Tony and Mark were implied to die offscreen then the Son showed up to shoot Ash and Alex. Then Tony is shot on screen. Then later you kill Mark, Corey, Alex and Ash.

I feel like Jake's plot being completely pointless was intentional because the only important event in the game, the coup, is off screen and then everyone who survived died without even having time to realize it. Jake's plot is completely pointless and he thinks he's in the know but really isn't. Everything anyone does in the game, as Richard says, is entirely pointless.

I do think Caught plays into it, though. He wants to be famous. He dreams of himself as starring in a movie.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 12, 2015

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
I guess the Actor won't ever see the whole picture :rimshot:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
What happens if you play Into The Pit as Tony? Does Ash or someone show up where he does if you're playing as someone else?

Ledgy posted:

I guess the Actor won't ever see the whole picture :rimshot:

:wow:

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Wait wait wait wait wait wait

there's a sensible plot in this game? I just clicked things and watched flashing blurry lights until suddenly i was watching a credits reel, having never understood a single point to any of my actions.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

But you had Fun, right?

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

something posted:

Wait wait wait wait wait wait

there's a sensible plot in this game? I just clicked things and watched flashing blurry lights until suddenly i was watching a credits reel, having never understood a single point to any of my actions.

There is no point, that is the point. Woah.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Galaga Galaxian posted:

But you had Fun, right?

Eh, not as much as HLM1, This game was just "let's make levels like the original except stretch them out with 2-3 times the enemies, and gently caress checkpoints."

Add to that pretty much no new meaningful game mechanic and it gets an eh/10.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

My favorite story moments, in no particular order, were:

Beard saving Jacket and having him keep the photograph, "on the house". Richter fruitlessly apologizing to Richard in the Hard Mode intro. And nobody getting away in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
The game made me feel bad for Richter, which was cool. I also felt really sorry for the poor Russian henchman.

• Locked thread