Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Wow, this thread got real poo poo real quickly. I find it amazing that everything Clarkson does becomes some kind of scandal, but I also find it amazing that people can't understand why he's seen as an abrasive moron. Honestly, that's about two thirds of his Top Gear persona. Sure, when you see him on QI or HIGNFY he's not nearly as obnoxious and brainless as he pretends to be, but Top Gear is his most public face besides maybe his godawful columnist work. He's intentionally an arsehole, and says things to see how far he can push the line. Would the show be any worse without things like those ridiculous jokes about Mexicans, which were frankly a kind of casual racism we don't even have in the UK? I'll admit his comment about the strikes was, in context, really loving funny, but he does sometimes overstep the line for no reason. I think it would be much less of a thing if the BBC didn't keep giving him "final" warnings. He'd just be your regular-grade television arsehole who says dumb things which sometimes aren't that funny.

I'm less bothered by his actions than I am by this thread's sudden derails into rants about the Left that are practically detatched from reality, with language right out of The Second Amendment Defender's Handbook. And then, as an intermission, some tits. Are we pro-Murdoch or anti-Murdoch? And when are we going to get round to discussing England's chances in the next world cup?

Yes, the Guardian hate Clarkson, that's part of their editorial stance and surprises nobody. Let's not use that as reason to declare that everyone who doesn't appreciate him correctly is an absurd overblown caricature of a Green party voter and wants to rid the entire country of cars, roads and buildings. Yes those people do exist, as does any other kind of idiot who bases their entire identity on what opinions they have and stand for, but that is by no means a "large subset" of the population.

Alertrelic posted:

Stu can explain.

I don't think I'll ever be sick of seeing this. Although for some variety, try this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E87L3yN1aU8

To be honest I'm wondering if Clarkson saw this one, because it was a week or two before they had that really dumb conversation about foreigners driving on our roads and using motorway lanes incorrectly. But, of course, he can take a joke, and run with it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I don't see why I can't hold the position that I really enjoy Top Gear, but despise racism and have zero tolerance for workplace violence.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Gorilla Salad posted:

I don't see why I can't hold the position that I really enjoy Top Gear, but despise racism and have zero tolerance for workplace violence.

Yeah, I want to continue to watch the large, shouty Englishman with bad opinions on my television, but on the other hand, punching a guy at work is not cool and deserves some sort of consequences.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Gorilla Salad posted:

This seems sensible, count me in.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
I have zero tolerance for anything other than zero tolerance as I find it intolerable

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

sigtrap posted:

I have zero tolerance for anything other than zero tolerance as I find it intolerable

Is that like everything in moderation including moderation?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

El Jebus posted:

No, it just means he has no tolerance for people with tolerance. It's not a contradiction. :spergin:

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

KillHour posted:

No, it just means he has no tolerance for people with tolerance. It's not a contradiction. :spergin:

Ah, I misread it as zero tolerance for zero tolerance.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Mooseykins posted:

I'd like to gently caress/date/whatever Taylor Swift, just so she would write a song about what a oval office i am. I think that would be good.

She would write a song about you being a oval office and she would be a boring missionary only in the dark style lay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ii_Q_taNBI

Why is the only time I like Russel Brand is when he's being honest to himself about random poo poo "I like Clarkson but he's kind of a throwback"

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

sigtrap posted:

Reporting this for intolerance.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

El Jebus posted:

One of my dreams is to open a bar and call it "Moderation"

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

sbaldrick posted:

She would write a song about you being a oval office and she would be a boring missionary only in the dark style lay.

Yeah, i can live with that though. It beats getting nothing, and it's Taylor Swift, so lame sex or not, it'd likely still be pretty good.

Sex is like pizza.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

http://jalopnik.com/bbc-cancels-last-episodes-of-top-gear-season-amid-clark-1691093681

:geno:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So punching underlings is frowned upon? What if they are morons that you can't fire because of the union? How do you not dodge a punch from a fat old guy? I need Ray Rice type of video proof.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I thought it was rather suspect that they would talk so openly about the state of the ongoing negotiations between Ferrari/Porsche/McLaren right on the air. Now we can see they never intended it to go down after all.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

The fracas happened after that was taped.

They made a fuss a couple weeks back about it on air about them being sticks in the mud about racing the cars, I don't see why mentioning progress would be an issue.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
How is the income handled at the BBC anyway? I mean it's a government owned station that brings in millions of moneys every year, is that money privately held or does it belong to the British people?

I mean, if I was British, I'd be pretty pissed that my government is likely severing a pretty decent source of income over a fracas.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
The BBC is publicly-funded, not government owned. One of the core reasons the BBC's funding is set up the way it is was specifically to avoid having them become just another government mouthpiece.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

BBC probably read this thread and killed the show just to make it all stop.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
The government doesn't run the BBC. They have no actual say in how it's run beyond determining the size of the license fee.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

But...but...that clip with Clarkson in a bouncing car, saying "what in God's name is happening"...might we never see that?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Ola posted:

But...but...that clip with Clarkson in a bouncing car, saying "what in God's name is happening"...might we never see that?

Seriously, what a pain in the rear end the BBC is pulling the whole season. At least take all the bits that haven't aired and put them into a big special or something.

edit: Oh god that's too funny, they finally get Porsche, Ferrari, McLaren to agree to a car race and the whole drat TV series implodes.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

CornHolio posted:

I mean, if I was British, I'd be pretty pissed that my government is likely severing a pretty decent source of income over a fracas.

I'm pretty pissed over the word "fracas". What does it even mean? Is it a real word? I've never heard it before, sounds like some bullshit word made up to blow a minor even out of proportion.

Don't know why they couldn't say fight/argument/disagreement/squabble/scuffle/whateverthefuckelseaslongasit'sarealfuckingword.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mooseykins posted:

I'm pretty pissed over the word "fracas". What does it even mean? Is it a real word? I've never heard it before, sounds like some bullshit word made up to blow a minor even out of proportion.

Don't know why they couldn't say fight/argument/disagreement/squabble/scuffle/whateverthefuckelseaslongasit'sarealfuckingword.
It means you had a bit of a barney, possibly to the extend of having a bundle over it.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

mod sassinator posted:

Seriously, what a pain in the rear end the BBC is pulling the whole season. At least take all the bits that haven't aired and put them into a big special or something.

edit: Oh god that's too funny, they finally get Porsche, Ferrari, McLaren to agree to a car race and the whole drat TV series implodes.

They've said that they aren't broadcasting any of the scheduled future episodes of the current season, not that the extant footage will never be shown in some form.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mooseykins posted:

It's like a ruckus.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

InitialDave posted:

It means you had a bit of a barney, possibly to the extend of having a bundle over it.

where does take the piss out fall on that spectrum (i'm american)

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

mod sassinator posted:

I was seriously excited about the cheap SUV challenge and watching them roll a Jeep Cherokee.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So this means that the gentleman that Clarkson almost hit is now out of a job.

It's pretty much lose-lose all around, isn't it?

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I was seriously excited about the cheap SUV challenge and watching them roll a Jeep Cherokee.

Aw man :(

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

Data Graham posted:

It's like a ruckus.

Why couldn't they use terms like these that common idiots like me will understand?

A "fracas" sound like a loving exotic fruit or something.

"Jeremy Clarkson suspended from the BBC over a pineapple."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Mooseykins posted:

Why couldn't they use terms like these that common idiots like me will understand?

A "fracas" sound like a loving exotic fruit or something.

"Jeremy Clarkson suspended from the BBC over a pineapple."

Because the BBC doesn't cater to common idiots, duh.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Everyone was.

Everyone was.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

meatpimp posted:

Because the BBC doesn't cater to common idiots, duh.

Counterpoint: Eastenders :colbert:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Ola posted:

This is exactly the clip I was most disappointed about

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is there anywhere at BBC I can write and bitch about this? This is collective punishment and if they don't reconsider, I'll go to the loving UN if I have to.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
They really need to find a way to punish Clarkson without punishing everyone else on the show. I think the allegedly punched-at producer would probably fare the worst in the job pool. "Why did I leave my last job? I got the star of the show to throw the second punch of his life at me and the incident eventually got the entire show canceled...but I assure you that was an isolated incident that will definitely not recur on this new show."

Even if I don't blame the victim (which I don't), that doesn't mean future employers won't.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mod sassinator posted:

where does take the piss out fall on that spectrum (i'm american)
Taking the piss is likely what leads to a barney.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXwFC1KTEyY

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wait, do people in the UK actually think that cars are constantly destroying the environment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
The other two's contracts are up at the same time as Clarkson's, aren't they? Somewhere in the bowels of BBC Central a room full of accountants is making GBS threads jagged bricks at the thought of all the money they make peddling Top Gear tat going to another company in six months' time.

Cojawfee posted:

Wait, do people in the UK actually think that cars are constantly destroying the environment?

Lots of them, yes. Quite often the Minister for Transport is one of them.