Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greth
Nov 12, 2008

Does it trouble your mind the way you trouble mine?
Is there a good solution to dealing with Azure Rath (in offline, first time you can fight him) being in the air all the drat time? If the answer is "Gun him", then what gun/bow is probably my best option right now (that being early C*9)? Seregios Hammer + Velo S set isn't working so well given his propensity to be completely out of my reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

greth posted:

Is there a good solution to dealing with Azure Rath (in offline, first time you can fight him) being in the air all the drat time? If the answer is "Gun him", then what gun/bow is probably my best option right now (that being early C*9)? Seregios Hammer + Velo S set isn't working so well given his propensity to be completely out of my reach.
Use flash bombs. They stun enemies if they're actively flying.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

greth posted:

AFAIK this works on every Rathian and Rathalos in the game, and possible other flying Wyvern types.

Flash bomb them while they're flying.

They'll crash down to the ground and be stunned for a while so you can beat on them. If you flash them while they're on the ground they do the normal flailing about like most monsters do while flashed.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

greth posted:

Flash Bomb him down to the ground.

e: Insect Glaive and swat him down works too, since I was super beaten to Flash Bombs.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.

Elysiume posted:

Use flash bombs. They stun enemies if they're actively flying.

On that note, how do I flash bomb effectively? Do I have to throw it right in their faces and pray they don't avert their eyes from the flash?

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

NT Plus posted:

On that note, how do I flash bomb effectively? Do I have to throw it right in their faces and pray they don't avert their eyes from the flash?

It's easier to do it on the various flavors of Rathian/Rathalos because you can predict where they will look since they do two half turns to look at you. It does need to be in their direct line of sight though, yes. Rathalos will always spit a fireball and fly backwards after roaring, which is when you can time a flash bomb.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

NT Plus posted:

If you're close to your target, you want to turn and toss it in the direction they are facing (usually directly behind you). Tossing at the monster is likely to overshoot them unless you're fairly far away. Wait for them to do an attack and toss it during their recovery time in order to ensure they don't turn around unexpectedly.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

loving goddamn rajang is so loving hard

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
I just found a very good use for the bows Arc Shots.

You know how Kushala Daora deflects arrows, shots, and people with it's stupid wind aura thing? Well that poo poo don't work on Arc Shots, and arc shots happen to be really good at breaking heads. Once Kushala's head is busted it's dumb wind goes away for good.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Toxxupation posted:

loving goddamn rajang is so loving hard

Stay the gently caress behind him, and superman dive his boulders.

greth
Nov 12, 2008

Does it trouble your mind the way you trouble mine?
Oh my god I had totally forgotten about flash bombs. poo poo. That's even how I survived my first bout with S Magala even. Thanks guys.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i beat him, still though gently caress him

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
I love it when monsters fly its like "Hi I want to eat turf please flash me." . Pink rathian is a bit harder because its so drat terrifying when it flies because she will poison half the zone.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

greth posted:

Oh my god I had totally forgotten about flash bombs. poo poo. That's even how I survived my first bout with S Magala even. Thanks guys.

I never tried but do flash bombs even work on the Magalas? I thought their whole deal was that they were blind so they used those virus spore things to detect where you were.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I'm used to Flash Bombs being near useless in 3U , so the advice to actually use them is weird to me.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Neo_Crimson posted:

I'm used to Flash Bombs being near useless in 3U , so the advice to actually use them is weird to me.

Everything loves to fly, everything loves to charge.You must embrace the Flash Bomb for that tiny loving 10 second break they can grant to you.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

canoshiz posted:

I never tried but do flash bombs even work on the Magalas? I thought their whole deal was that they were blind so they used those virus spore things to detect where you were.

Gore is blind S magala isn't .

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
I am slowly losing vitality with every preview of a pubblings armor skills. One room where a guy had no jewels but two sets of three slots and more. The other two both had some jewels but one could have upgraded a skill with his open slot and the other could have removed attack down M with his.

Thinking about this stuff makes me wonder if they have a tortured brain, or if just I do.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Both. Armor skills are kind of a train wreck of ui and design.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Sard posted:

I am slowly losing vitality with every preview of a pubblings armor skills. One room where a guy had no jewels but two sets of three slots and more. The other two both had some jewels but one could have upgraded a skill with his open slot and the other could have removed attack down M with his.

Thinking about this stuff makes me wonder if they have a tortured brain, or if just I do.

It is possible they don't have the materials to make the decorations too and they know about it. It's not like they are all free.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Vire posted:

It is possible they don't have the materials to make the decorations too and they know about it. It's not like they are all free.

I dunno by the time you're fighting Teostra you ought to be able to afford an attack jewel 2 or biology jewel. The guy with nothing was in Rath Soul and had some three-slot DS.

e:and now one with empty Gold Rathian armor :suicide:. I'm fairly sure the storyline explains this stuff really well actually.

Also yeah to be fair decorations are a microcosm of the games flaws. Buttons to toggle names changes depending on whether you're crafting or slotting, and they're still organized in an order that only makes sense in Japanese.

Sard fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 12, 2015

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sard posted:

To be honest the game doesn't explain a lot of this stuff very well, I dunno how people even play this game without stuff like kiranico and having threads like this to ask questions. It can be kind of impenetrable when you're first getting started

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Sard posted:

Also yeah to be fair decorations are a microcosm of the games flaws. Buttons to toggle names changes depending on whether you're crafting or slotting, and they're still organized in an order that only makes sense in Japanese.

Their order doesn't make any sense in Japanese either FWIW.

What I can't understand is why they don't have an option for "remove all gems from all my equipment right now." Searching through a huge pile of equipment for a gem you know you have but is in something else at the moment is the most tedious poo poo ever.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I loving hate flash bombing, because it seems like the Rathalos AI follows 3 rules:

1. If my weapon is sheathed and I'm ready to flash bomb, never fly.
2. If flying, and I sheathe my weapon, land immediately, then fly as soon as I unsheathe.
3. If I actually manage to be sheathed while they're flying, they'll be facing away from me, but if I get close enough to throw a flash bomb to the other side of them, instantly turn around and hit me with that loving homing poison claw attack.

I've completely given up on the whole concept.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Why flashbomb when you can hit them out of the air with axe mode

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
If you're having homing problems, I feel bad for you, son. I got 99 problems, but evade ain't one.

Seriously, guys, evade +3. Even +2 is a big boost, but +3 is where it's at. You get an insane window to avoid the attack.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Toxxupation posted:

Why flashbomb when you can hit them out of the air with axe mode

Because hitting a flying Rathalos in axe mode is basically painting a big sign on yourself saying "homing claw me before the recovery for this attack ends". When Rath decides to play flappy dragon, I've pretty much resigned myself to guard pointing repeatedly until he gets bored of it.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

G-Prime posted:

If you're having homing problems, I feel bad for you, son. I got 99 problems, but evade ain't one.

Seriously, guys, evade +3. Even +2 is a big boost, but +3 is where it's at. You get an insane window to avoid the attack.

+3 is almost triple the invincibility frames if I'm remembering right. Like, 0.6 seconds instead of ~0.23 without any skills. It's really good.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

I just realized something when I zoned in and immediately died because Kushala decided to plant a tornado at the entrance. I realized that I really hate all the old monsters in this game and really think it would have been better without them.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Genpei Turtle posted:

Their order doesn't make any sense in Japanese either FWIW.

What I can't understand is why they don't have an option for "remove all gems from all my equipment right now." Searching through a huge pile of equipment for a gem you know you have but is in something else at the moment is the most tedious poo poo ever.

This, so much. It's great having 3-slot weapons of different types but when I need to move all jewels around it'd be easier if the game would assume my currently-slotted inventory was still available.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Yo, Capcom wants MH4U players to fill out a survey:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MH4U

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Office Thug posted:

I just realized something when I zoned in and immediately died because Kushala decided to plant a tornado at the entrance. I realized that I really hate all the old monsters in this game and really think it would have been better without them.

Kusha's an Elder Dragon, loving poo poo Up is kind of his schtick

His theme, armour and weapons also own and he owns to fight because he's hard but fair once you learn where to stand and when to attack

Compared to Teostra (who's a dick), Kusha owns.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Ignimbrite posted:

Compared to Teostra (who's a dick), Kusha owns.

I am legit glad that all of Teostra's stuff is garbage.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

G-Prime posted:

Is Kiranico right that Ace Tickets only come from the Chameleos quests? I really hate fighting that jerk, but the LBG set that GaijinHunter uses is kinda amazing and I want to make it.

I haven't finished all of my 10* caravan quests yet, but I did the Shrouded Nerscylla hunt and I got an Ace ticket from the quest rewards.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

quote:

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate sold more than 290,000 combined physical and digital units and is now the fastest-selling Monster Hunter title – across all platforms – in U.S. history. In addition, the game has the highest Metascore of any Monster Hunter title and is also Capcom’s fastest-selling title on the Nintendo 3DS platform in U.S. history.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Crowbear posted:

+3 is almost triple the invincibility frames if I'm remembering right. Like, 0.6 seconds instead of ~0.23 without any skills. It's really good.

I think it goes .2, +1 is .33, +2 is .4, +3 is .6

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Sard posted:

Seriously, does anyone have any idea why you make a "Handicraft" gem that gives you a skill called "Sharpness +1" instead of, say, a skill called "Handicraft"? Was one list of names to remember just not complex enough and they had to kick it up a notch?

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

Sard posted:

We played with a pubbie who had a mishmash of random armor poo poo (that looked pretty rad, to be fair). No skills except auto guard.... and he was using an Insect Glaive. We were doing HR6 keys and urgents and he wasn't very good obviously but he carted surprisingly few times and stuck around after his urgent to do ours. Not great, but not the worst pubbie either.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Is the Guild 10* Quest "Advanced: A Final Battle Cry" (G Rank Crimson Fatalis) unlockable and if so, how?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Is the Guild 10* Quest "Advanced: A Final Battle Cry" (G Rank Crimson Fatalis) unlockable and if so, how?

So how do you feel about eggs?

• Locked thread