Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sotar posted:

I actually finished the whole thing but didn't make any sense of it.

Same. Apparently the dude is complaining about rotations? Or formats? Because it's super likely that you'll go to your LGS with your kitchen table deck and have your opponent casually throw a Lotus against you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I kinda get a few of the criticisms levied, but yeah, it loses luster when it's inaccurate/confused about rotation and also is coming from a Warhammer player. :v:

I fully admit that I quit in RAV/TSP standard because I was tired of getting my poo poo ruined at FNM by "netdecked" (I've since gotten over using that as a nasty epithet, but it's the most accurate term) Dredge and Dragonstorm decks while I couldn't even afford shocklands (and I didn't/still don't enjoy the art of trading up to target pieces). But in my older, mildly wiser age now, I know that's on me, not the game. I wish Magic was cheaper to get into at a decent level, but I can still enjoy watching due to all the online content nowadays, so meh.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It seems weird to talk about Myth Realized being weak to removal because it's gotta be one of the most resilient cheap "creatures" to kill in standard. I'm still not sure if it's good in general though. It will take a good amount of time before it becomes at all worthwhile even if you're casting one noncreature per turn (admittedly good rebound spells would help here) and it's pretty godawful if you play it any time after turn one. It can also be chumped if you manage to finally get it online.

However, I think it still has some potential in Jeskai tokens, especially against slow control decks. U/B control really doesn't want to be playing expensive instant-speed hard removal against you, they won't have any blockers for it until they get Elspeth and it just becomes a nastier and nastier threat as the game goes on. If something like Artful Dodge is reprinted I can also see it being a good finisher.

I'm not entirely convinced by the argument that its super resilient since only dies to removal when its doing anything that actually affects the board state. I think it will see play, but I don't think its an awesome control finisher or anything.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 12, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Fiend Computer posted:

Also they obviously have never seen a RDW list. I made mine for 50.
Not only do you get to avoid buying expensive lands, you also get to laugh at the people who paid for the privilege of having lands that ping them and slow their tempo

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
I wish I could change my name to Galvanized Obsidian Dildo of Torment

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So I was idly browsing one of the warhams threads since I'm enjoying the freude about how it's currently melting down and came across the following contrast someone made between GW+Warham to WotC+Magic.

Now, maybe I'm an enfranchised player at this point, or because I focus on limited - but I can't even comprehend the criticisms here. Is our hobby driving away people to its long term detriment? The growth in popularity recently is telling me no, but we don't have any way to compare to how much bigger it could possibly be if wizards did things differently so it's not much of an argument in my mind.

I can see being dismayed by the standard treadmill, or the high price of a good eternal deck, but keeping formats fresh and the clear focus they put on limited play these days are both super important for the health of the game.

What do you guys think?

As a new magic player, I have found most people at tournaments and events very friendly and helpful, even giving me stacks of cards they didn't want just to get me started. However, I have also run into people that totally make me want to stop playing entirely. Like a guy at my first Standard event that spent the entire match complaining about the deck I brought to "casual weekday magic," nevermind that I also payed 5 dollars just like he did, gave my DCI number, and was playing a totally legal deck, Sultai Superfriends/Control. (Not well either!) I remember thinking "This is my first standard event ever, I've never met this guy, and he's just acting all offended. Does he not want more new magic players to show up?" The people who say spikes and netdecking by spitting it out of their mouth like a curse seem like elitist assholes annoyed people aren't enjoying the game the right way.

I like Standard as a concept, with just the newer sets, because looking into something like Modern or Legacy is super intimidating. I learned to play as a kid but didn't seriously start until a month ago and getting into one of those just seems daunting. A few standard rotations under my belt though, and I can see that being much more interesting. Also as an adult with an actual job that gives me disposable income, the entire game is way more appealing than it was as a kid.

Also Dragons of Tarkir sounds cool, because there are dragons in it. Apparently most of the dragons aren't actually super good, but still, dragons!

I primarily started playing because my roommates were playing and when I went to my first draft I got an Ugin (hence the sultai superfriends) and was having enough fun to go buy some cards at that point.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Fiend Computer posted:

Yeah, anyone who says standard is expensive, and then goes and plays warhammer, is obviously allowing the point fly over their head.

Also they obviously have never seen a RDW list. I made mine for 50.
poo poo, I made Sidisi Whip for just shy of $100 and I've been top 4-ing FNM nearly every week since KTK dropped. It's probably paid for itself twice over now in winnings.

Also :laffo: at someone playing warhammer and crying about pay-to-win.

deftest
May 7, 2011
The problem isn't Legacy decks vs Kitchen Table, really

A few years ago a friend and I brought our kitchen table decks into the local store and got stomped by a standard deck (late innistrad, I think). After a few games, when it was clear our decks didn't stand a chance and the local magic master got bored he suggested we upgrade our [random-vanilla-5cmc-green-guy] to Thragtusk.

My friend and I rolled our eyes at him. Obviously Thragtusk was a superior card in that slot, but we weren't up for spending $20 on one card at the time.

Those interactions happen all the time, I'm sure. But that didn't have any negative effect on all the table games my friend and I had played before going to the store. We had already invested a lot of time and money into the game, and weren't exactly thrown off by it.

Magic is expensive. It's not necessarily less fun when you want to play but don't want to spend $20 on Thragtusks

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

alphabrawl posted:

I wish I could change my name to Galvanized Obsidian Dildo of Torment

I hate it when my homebrew username loses to a bunch of netnamed bullshit by people with money to burn

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

deftest posted:

Magic is expensive. It's not necessarily less fun when you want to play but don't want to spend $20 on Thragtusks

On the other hand, it very well can be. The LGS I played at back when I did was super competitive, and coming to FNM and getting blown out 0-4 every week is kind of a downer. I seem to remember there being something about how they handled promos that incentivized placing better to have a better shot, which was also a drag, but it's been years.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kyrosiris posted:

On the other hand, it very well can be. The LGS I played at back when I did was super competitive, and coming to FNM and getting blown out 0-4 every week is kind of a downer. I seem to remember there being something about how they handled promos that incentivized placing better to have a better shot, which was also a drag, but it's been years.

It would suck if the only place you can play is FNM and the only FNM available is super competitive but I really hope this isn't the case very often.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
What would you guys recommend for a newer player as a deck that is relatively inexpensive but still competitive at a typical FNM in the current standard? Or at least will potentially still be competitive after Dragons of Tarkir. I like my Sultai deck but as someone else told me in this thread, it does seem like it requires a ton of decision making that I'm still really bad at as a new player.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

rabidsquid posted:

It would suck if the only place you can play is FNM and the only FNM available is super competitive but I really hope this isn't the case very often.

I dunno that's basically the case for some people in terms of schedule/location.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

Yeah, I'm not trying to extrapolate my experiences to anyone else or use it as a condemnation of Magic in general (though I did at the time - that was me being a dumb 20 year old). Just saying that for me, there were definitely periods of "man, if I had more cash to spend on The Good Cards I could win and have more fun but I don't :smith:".

Pre-releases were always fun though, but those tend to happen at the Fort Worth Convention Center around here, which is annoying to get to without a car as a Dallasite.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I can't think of any hobby I have that is not expensive as poo poo:

Magic is obviously expensive (and I play both paper and MODO so there's that), either limited or constructed, really.

Electric guitar is expensive as poo poo, although on the plus side, they almost literally never depreciate beyond a certain point in value if you invest in good quality equipment and don't buy things brand new.

Golf costs about $10-15 just to practice for half an hour.

Homebrewing beer literally has its own goddamn smiley on this loving forum, and its: :homebrew:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

That entire rant is a guy trying to justify his expensive Warhammer habit.

That or a Magic player hosed his girlfriend but I'm pretty sure that is literally an impossible situation.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Dohaeris posted:

What would you guys recommend for a newer player as a deck that is relatively inexpensive but still competitive at a typical FNM in the current standard? Or at least will potentially still be competitive after Dragons of Tarkir. I like my Sultai deck but as someone else told me in this thread, it does seem like it requires a ton of decision making that I'm still really bad at as a new player.

A RDW, like I mentioned. I made mine for 50 bucks including stokes, and while it looks like Dragons will be a real midrangy, RDW will probably have good match ups.

Edit: do note I don't run rabblemasters though, so that drops the cost by quite a lot.

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug
The mono black humans deck is also pretty straightforward and easy on your budget.

RDW is just straight up better right now but this deck is pretty fun.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Dohaeris posted:

Mono-red is your usual go to for cheap decks. You can start off with a cheap sligh budget build and then add in stuff like Rabblemaster and Outpost Siege or Stormbreaths or what have you later.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah and RDW is pretty resilient. It may not be top-tier but as long as there are aggressive red creatures and efficient burn spells it will be a deck that can have decent games.

Plus you can laugh at the people who spent lots of money to get lands that hurt them and slow them down

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm not entirely convinced by the argument that its super resilient since only dies to removal when its doing anything that actually affects the board state.
Unless you're expecting every one-drop to be Slippery Bogle that is super resilient. It doesn't die to the sorcery speed (mini) wraths that kill almost all other one-drops (relevant in tokens since almost everyone will be boarding them in) and you can choose not to animate it if you don't feel like trading it for a removal spell right now.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Cernunnos posted:

Theros was 101:60:53:15 with 249 cards total (20 Basics).

They recently moved from 60 to 80 uncommons for all large sets. I think it was in M14 that they switched up. It's annoying in some ways, because you're far less likely to get multiples of any cool build-around-me uncommons.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Does anyone have any recommendations on recent duel decks for casual play?

My girlfriend is interested in playing and I dug out an old 30 card intro deck for both green and red, and we've played a few games with those but they're both unevenly matched (T3 centaur courser vs a deck that is entirely 1/1 and 2/1 goblins with Shocks is lame) and will quickly grow boring as poo poo.

I'm hoping to like buy Elspeth/Kiora and 1-2 other duel deck packages (I think the local shop has Jace vs Vraska and some Mardu Wardude vs Something? Speed vs Cunning?) so we can have a few different "evenly paced" matches and she can figure out what she likes about those decks, then we'll take her to the Magic Origins Pre-Release, wherein she can crush some people who underestimate her due to her vagina-ownership and then she'll have the competitive bug and we can play Legacy or Modern together by Christmas :v:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Dohaeris posted:

AlternateNu posted:

DTK Standard Mono-R DAGRONS.dec!

4 Thunderbreak Regent
4 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Dragon Fodder
4 Hordeling Outburst
4 Dragon Tempest
4 Stoke the Flames
3 Dragon Roar
3 Lightning Strike
2 Descent of the Dragons
3 Outpost Siege
1 Purphoros, God of the Forge

20 Mountains
4 Radiant Fountain

Looks sick. Soooooo many ways to burn your opponent out without even having to swing with the DAGRONS! And doesn't try to lean on splashing U for Thaumaturge (though, I'll be trying that as well).

It's goofy but sensible. Aside from the Stokes and Strombreaths this will be fairy cheap and I'm sure you can find something to replace them with.

The Brewhaus is a pretty good place to find a starting point or shell for a deck that you might want to play.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

mr. mephistopheles posted:

That entire rant is a guy trying to justify his expensive Warhammer habit.

That or a Magic player hosed his girlfriend but I'm pretty sure that is literally an impossible situation.

It's funny how different the two games are handled. Wizards is very open about its process, and prices are generally stable (boosters have been 4 euros here in Greece since at least Scourge, probably before that even). Cards are cards, outside of the rare major rules updates (damage on the stack, maybe the legendary updates?) their functionality is and will be the same. Bolt won't be errata'd to a Shock, or a Lightning strike in Magic Origins. Meanwhile, GW does other tricks, like selling a box for the same price, and halving the number of guys in it.

I'm not too familiar with GW, but I feel that Magic's model is not a bad one, even with its issues (Reserved List etc), and that Wizards really doesn't neglect any part of its customer base, from the kitchen table, to competitive Commander, to Legacy players.

Another big thing of Magic is how easy it is to get in. Warhammer (to continue the comparison) requires a hefty buy in (presuming new product), and you have to risk it with painting it and whatnot, not to mention buying a rulebook (just baffling). In Magic, you can go to your FLGS, get the free Intro Pack, learn to play, and get an Event Deck, all for, what, 20$?

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 12, 2015

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There's a pretty large number of casual Magic players that tournament players don't ever see. I know several people who've never been to any Magic tournament or club, and have never read anything on the internet about Magic, and to them owning a Magic deck is just like owning a Scrabble board to pull out and play occasionally. Most of them spend no money on Magic, as their decks are built out of draft leavings from their competitive friend. Then there are the people who don't sell their Magic cards or play in tournaments, but once every new set they buy a box, sit down, and crack every pack.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Serperoth posted:

I'm not too familiar with GW, but I feel that Magic's model is not a bad one, even with its issues (Reserved List etc), and that Wizards really doesn't neglect any part of its customer base, from the kitchen table, to competitive Commander, to Legacy players.
Yeah WotC's pretty sensible about how it feeds our cardboard crack addiction for enormous profits.

Not actually being ironic there. Sure they are creating purposeful scarcity to get us to invest more and yadda yadda but ultimately they seem to try and be as fair as possible about how they dole this poo poo out. It's probably a consequence of most of the designers being old magic pros.

Basically that rant was kind of hilarious.

Chamale posted:

There's a pretty large number of casual Magic players that tournament players don't ever see. I know several people who've never been to any Magic tournament or club, and have never read anything on the internet about Magic, and to them owning a Magic deck is just like owning a Scrabble board to pull out and play occasionally. Most of them spend no money on Magic, as their decks are built out of draft leavings from their competitive friend. Then there are the people who don't sell their Magic cards or play in tournaments, but once every new set they buy a box, sit down, and crack every pack.
Yeah I know these types of people too, and I feel like a lot of the try hards I only see at shops or online really need to see how normal people interact with the game and get involved themselves. If nothing else, you'll start getting fantastic perspective on why WotC made recent decisions that some people have been very vehement about (NWO, rules changes which "dumb down the game" or basically whatever got you irrationally angry).

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 12, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'd recommend just getting a generic mono-red list to start with. Something like this deck is pretty OK and the only remotely expensive cards in the maindeck are Stoke the Flames and Outpost Siege. From there you'll want to get Eidolons and a couple of Rabblemasters but that can wait a bit.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Chamale posted:

All those wasted drafts...

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

deftest posted:

The problem isn't Legacy decks vs Kitchen Table, really

A few years ago a friend and I brought our kitchen table decks into the local store and got stomped by a standard deck (late innistrad, I think). After a few games, when it was clear our decks didn't stand a chance and the local magic master got bored he suggested we upgrade our [random-vanilla-5cmc-green-guy] to Thragtusk.

My friend and I rolled our eyes at him. Obviously Thragtusk was a superior card in that slot, but we weren't up for spending $20 on one card at the time.
Well see here's the thing, he might have been genuinely trying to help you out because a lot of kitchen table players read exactly zero magic related articles and have exactly zero knowledge of cards they have not personally cracked from packs. So you might legitimately not known that Thragtusk was a card that existed. I don't know, I wasn't there; but I generally give the benefit of the doubt on these things because when I'm giving card advice, I don't know what your budget is or what cards you're aware of existing.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
This is an observation I've made on miniature gaming vs Magic in the past, albeit (I think) usually in the GW threads rather than the Magic threads:

The economics of both games have things that are hosed up, but in different ways. They're almost like the yin and yang of each other.

With miniature games like Warhammer, the game company is pretty much always willing to sell you the pieces that you need to play the game. If I need an Abaddon the Despoiler, Games Workshop will sell me a brand-new one, right now, this very moment. This isn't actually the smart way to buy one, but more on that in a minute--the point is that there's no artificial scarcity in that sense to drive prices up. And units for the game don't go "out of print" per se. There might be a specific design of miniature from years ago that's out of production and is a collector's item whose value has risen by hundreds of dollars due to its scarcity, but you don't have to have that exact miniature to represent that unit. Like if the miniature is "Space Marine Captain with Power Fist" you don't have to have the one from 1987 or whatever; there is one currently in production that you can buy new. It's like if the reserve list didn't exist and you had a mint Alpha Black Lotus that the collectors could go after, but you could also buy a lovely white bordered modern artifact frame one for $10 and play the game with that. Or if you were allowed to make high-quality proxies and use them in tournaments, which is analogous to making your own space marine captain out of parts.

On the other hand, if you want to buy used miniatures, then aside from the aforementioned collector's items, it's generally much cheaper to do. You can go on eBay and pick up used warhammer models for half or less the price. They'll probably require some refurbishment if you want them to look good, but they'll be functional no matter what. Leperflesh in the GW death pool thread was talking about how he bought an entire army, that probably had a sticker price of hundreds if not 1000+ dollars, for like $80. That's an example at the far end of the spectrum but it's the sort of thing that can happen. The secondary market works.

Magic is sort of the other way around. If what you want is available as a sealed product, then it's usually quite reasonably priced. Commander precon for $34.95? Great value if you ask me. Even booster packs seem not unreasonably priced for 15 cards, the insane variance of rare value aside. The problem is that those are in the minority of practical ways to play Magic, and the cost to play goes up from that case, not down. Miniature gaming's worst-case scenario (buying your poo poo directly from the manufacturer at a fixed price) is the best-case scenario for Magic (and a much more unreliable one, since Wizards doesn't just keep everything perpetually in stock as singles--it's completely against their business model).

The two genres are very broadly similar in that there's a sticker price for the game's basic building block, whether that's a tier 1 tournament deck or a 1500 point army whatever, and there are Weird Tips for getting into the game on the cheap. But whereas Magic's weird tips require me to be in the right place in the right time or be willing to play a particular sort of deck, Warhammer's weird tips just require me to go on eBay or to the local swap meet.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zoness posted:

I have to admit i tried reading that as far as

How far did everyone else get?

quote:

It could just be a cheap interrupt

This man has not seen Magic in over 15 years.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I kept reading for a little longer after, but my eyes started rolling when I read "Magic cards are completely different from how they used to be :goonsay:" and never stopped.

Not that that's wrong, but it was phrased in such a way that it made it seem like it was a strictly bad thing.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
He talks about sets and blocks like the last thing he played was Antiquities and he sort of glimpsed at Tempest.

He has literally no idea how Magic works.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

He talks about sets and blocks like the last thing he played was Antiquities and he sort of glimpsed at Tempest.

It almost reads like that post I think was linked here where the guy who had only ever played Hearthstone (but had someone quick explain how to play magic to him one time) critiqued some expensive magic cards.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

If you're smart, you can pierce the veil on this poo poo and see that, in a given chapter of their releases, there are x number of 1/1 creatures, and x number of 1 damage interrupts, and whatever else. But if you think it's not a balancing act largely based on illusion, you're probably assuming WotC is smarter than they really are, and that they designed something more robust than it really is.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

- You are experienced Magic rear end in a top hat who's been out of the game for a while and wants to get back in. You go to the store. You immediately realize that they're not just releasing nonstop themed sets, and have been for years, they're releasing them in *chapters* now. You buy several things to get an idea of what's up. You realize this isn't really helping you figure poo poo out. You go back to the store. New sets are *already* there. It's only been like... a month! Paralysis and despondency set in. You buy Star Realms for Android. You are much happier.

"The most important magic skill is computing the number of standard-legal 1/1s, Magic sucks because new sets are released ever"

I don't understand

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

He complains about the introduction of blocks as something that makes Magic more confusing for a new player.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There are exactly 60 1/1's in standard right now.

:aaaaa: time to build a singleton deck

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I wonder which of the two makes more money. I have to imagine that Magic's playerbase is far larger than Warhammer's, but the average player expenditures on Warhammer are probably higher. Or not, I don't know I spend a shitload on Magic.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Angry Grimace posted:

I wonder which of the two makes more money. I have to imagine that Magic's playerbase is far larger than Warhammer's, but the average player expenditures on Warhammer are probably higher. Or not, I don't know I spend a shitload on Magic.

Magic probably cleaves a lot closer to the 80/20 rule. There are no Warhammer players out there who just dropped $10-30 on models and plays with those (well, almost none, probably). The median warhams player spends a lot more than the median magic player, but there's also legacy players who bought a playset of Revised Tundras because they wanted to play Miracles, and that expenditure is more than most Warhams will spend in five years.

On an unrelated note: I started on Pucatrade. I want to send some poo poo out, but I think my display preferences are hosed. The only card in my collection anyone in America seems to want is Battlefield Thaumaturge. That can't be right, can it? Adding Canada adds Oath of Druids only. I have a ton of sweet Standard, Modern and Legacy stuff. Is Pucatrade just not used in America?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lottery of Babylon posted:

"The most important magic skill is computing the number of standard-legal 1/1s, Magic sucks because new sets are released ever"

I don't understand

Wait, 1 damage interrupts? There's never been an interrupt that dealt damage!

• Locked thread