Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I can say that the majority of what I've heard of TPG ADSL2+ has been utter remorse. Dropouts, lovely customer service and damaged provided hardware. iiNet is the exact opposite and their BoB line of Modems are nothing short of a masterstroke. A very simplified and convenient line of hardware.

I will always remember iiNet for running awesome TF2 servers and occasionally giving out 10% off this month's bill coupon codes to team MVPs.

I hope they don't get castrated and absorbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

cpaf posted:

Sorry for upsetting your enjoyment of Auspol by posting "the same poo poo we always hear" you tiresome idiot

Sorry you seem to think that repeating tiresome poo poo is funny.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

I"m actually very surprised the telecommunication/ISP market actually had so many players for as long as it did. Markets in Australia usually tend to have duopolies, while the ISP market had a very good range of providers (with their own equipment). It was really just a matter of time before this was going to come about and I saw the trend even when I first started working in the industry. What we're seeing now is just a snowball effect of the bigger players buying out the smaller.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
The myth of Coalition economic management

We need to stop passively accepting "truisms" that long ago ceased to be true, and we should start with the myth about the Coalition's superior economic credentials, writes Tim Dunlop.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
As long as you still don't have to wait on hold. Honestly, that system is amazing, and it baffles me that other companies don't do it. I wonder if this will effect iinets recently announced netflix deal of not streams not counting towards quotas?

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

TPG are already in the process of consolidating under the one brand, it's only a matter of time before they absorb iinet completely.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Seagull posted:

"heh i'm going to own these left wing nerds with this green crack" - the prime minister

It's okay he went out Coal Rolling for the rest of the afternoon to make up for it.

I slowed down the video and you can see him briefly begin to change back into reptilian form at one point.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I think iiNet was the only ISP left still pushing for the Governemnt to build the better NBN. The rest have gone off and built their own NBN clones in a bunch of suburbs; including TPG.

I worry that this will lead to an Americanised situation where a singular ISP owns a network monopoly per suburb/city/block. Like, we're basically heading towards a AT&T/Verizon/Sprint monopoloy like is happening over in the States. The only advantage is they have Google over there building their own network which is slightly unfucking things.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
So who's left that isn't poo poo now?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Uh, Club Telco and iPrimus?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Zenithe posted:

As long as you still don't have to wait on hold. Honestly, that system is amazing, and it baffles me that other companies don't do it. I wonder if this will effect iinets recently announced netflix deal of not streams not counting towards quotas?

They'd probably offer unlimited quotas like they do on their current range.

Anidav posted:

I think iiNet was the only ISP left still pushing for the Governemnt to build the better NBN. The rest have gone off and built their own NBN clones in a bunch of suburbs; including TPG.

TPG was the only one rolling out their own NBN (I think?). Both Telstra and Optus have sold their HFC networks to NBN.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

I can say that the majority of what I've heard of TPG ADSL2+ has been utter remorse. Dropouts, lovely customer service and damaged provided hardware. iiNet is the exact opposite and their BoB line of Modems are nothing short of a masterstroke. A very simplified and convenient line of hardware.

I will always remember iiNet for running awesome TF2 servers and occasionally giving out 10% off this month's bill coupon codes to team MVPs.

I've had TPG ADSL2+/Naked DSL (same product really just no PSTN service on the latter) since moving to Brisbane at 5 different locations. Each location I've had at least 13Mbit sync speeds, with the last three places I've had it at I've had around 20Mbit. I've been able to pull down that speed easily in each location with the connection and never had a drop out except in instances of severe weather (and if lightning strikes very close by where the cables run).

Customer service, I usually just email them and have no problems. They probably struggle to understand me as much as I do to understand them sometimes, but when I have had to call I've always been able to get what I've needed. Hold times are annoying with any company.

Provided hardware: I never ever ever use provided DSL hardware and would never recommend anyone else do so.

Usually dropouts and the like are caused by lovely copper cable, which lies in Telstra's domain. Having dealt with Telstra's wholesale faults department, I can say that they are a pain to do anything with and reluctant to fix any fault and will only do so if there's a major issue (i.e cannot get above 1.5Mbit sync speed, constant dropouts). Even then, if there's a major fault in that entire pipe of cable, Telstra will tell you there's a CNI (Customer Network Improvement) ticket on it, and it'll be fixed in X months (usually 6+). This whole thing would have been much improved in a post-FTTP NBN situation, but thanks Turdball and Tones for committing us to good ol' copper, waterproofed with garbage bags.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
I will give TPG this. They haven't poisoned the BGP routes like certain other companies have.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sponsored by the Opera House events but that was actually in Melbourne. I missed out because I was a lazy gently caress and didnt book my ticket early :(

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

starkebn posted:

The myth of Coalition economic management

We need to stop passively accepting "truisms" that long ago ceased to be true, and we should start with the myth about the Coalition's superior economic credentials, writes Tim Dunlop.

Speaking of, what's the protocol for passing a budget when the last one hasn't been passed yet? Does it matter?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Telstra is building a National Wifi Network, Optus is doing the same thing but is only targeting Country Australia, iiNet was going to build a public WiFi Network in Victoria and Canberra, TPG is apparently building their own NBN, OPENNetworks is building their own VDSL Network in Sydney.

That's off the top of my head, a lot of it could arguably be in direct competition to the NBN.

I think Foxtel is doing something similar as well now that they've recently been approved to become a ISP?

EDIT:

Yeah Foxtel will definitely try something similar soon

Anidav fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 13, 2015

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

Telstra is building a National Wifi Network, Optus is doing the same thing but is only targeting Country Australia, iiNet was going to build a public WiFi Network in Victoria and Canberra, TPG is apparently building their own NBN, OPENNetworks is building their own VDSL Network in Sydney.

That's off the top of my head, a lot of it could arguably be in direct competition to the NBN.

I think Foxtel is doing something similar as well now that they've recently been approved to become a ISP?

EDIT:

Yeah Foxtel will definitely try something similar soon

The power of the Free Market!!!

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Frogmanv2 posted:

Sorry you seem to think that repeating tiresome poo poo is funny.

Mate, you're posting in Auspol D&D. poo poo doesn't get more tiresome than this. Give it a rest.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It's going to be a mess, by the time the Coalition or Shorten NBN is finished; all these miniature suburb by suburb monopolies will be complete and Australia will be hosed.

Then to make matters worst - Telstra, Optus and TPG will start buying out these micro-network monopolies and you'd have a different ISP to choose from per state. Just imagine it, one half of Brisbane can only choose Optus and the other half can only choose TPG. It's exactly what they want too so they have every reason to rush to compete with the Coalition's fraudband because they want to lock down your house with them FOREVER.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Anidav posted:

It's going to be a mess, by the time the Coalition or Shorten NBN is finished; all these miniature suburb by suburb monopolies will be complete and Australia will be hosed.

Then to make matters worst - Telstra, Optus and TPG will start buying out these micro-network monopolies and you'd have a different ISP to choose from per state. Just imagine it, one half of Brisbane can only choose Optus and the other half can only choose TPG. It's exactly what they want too so they have every reason to rush to compete with the Coalition's fraudband because they want to lock down your house with them FOREVER.

The problem with the US is that the companies agreed to only offer each of their services in certain areas. TPG are likely to tell Telstra to shove it and put their network in where they can because gently caress limiting yourself to certain areas.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Update on a matter that's actually important and affects us all: Vanya and I got caught in a surprise rainstorm and now he's damp and cross

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

There's a recent ruling that they have to offer their fiber at wholesale prices to other ISPs, and retail and wholesale need to be split. It was a result of TPG building their broadband network.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Avshalom posted:

Update on a matter that's actually important and affects us all: Vanya and I got caught in a surprise rainstorm and now he's damp and cross

Tell him the world still weeps for Sharon, I'm sure he'd understand.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Would there be much of a difference between ADSL2+ and Naked DSL sync speeds at the same property?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Would there be much of a difference between ADSL2+ and Naked DSL sync speeds at the same property?

Shouldn't be.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Endman posted:

Mate, you're posting in Auspol D&D. poo poo doesn't get more tiresome than this. Give it a rest.

I normally would but I'm in a bad mood and got called a tiresome, humourless, tedious human with no friends because some chuckle gently caress thinks he is kingshit because he posted the same tired crap I have been hearing for nearly 15 years.

At least auspol keeps to humor from this century.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

adamantium|wang posted:

Tell him the world still weeps for Sharon, I'm sure he'd understand.
when i get emotional at the memory of ariel, as happens frequently, vanya comes over and puts his tiny feet on my knee and looks at me solemnly until i stop crying and tell him it's ok

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Frogmanv2 posted:

I normally would but I'm in a bad mood and got called a tiresome, humourless, tedious human with no friends because some chuckle gently caress thinks he is kingshit because he posted the same tired crap I have been hearing for nearly 15 years.

You do realise that reacting the way you are leads to a self fulfilling prophecy right

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Once completed the NBN, as it stands now will, probably be split up and sold off anyway.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

QUACKTASTIC posted:

None.

ADSL and PSTN signal ranges are totally different. Naked DSL is just ADSL+ with no PSTN port hooked up to the cooper loop.

One thing I'm surprised that isn't offered by many companies in Australia is ADSL Annex M, which increases the upstream up to 3-4Mbit, depending on your existing connection. It sacrifices downstream, but if you're a small business (say a graphics studio) and you need to upload huge gently caress off files, it's much better to have 2Mbit than just 1.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Frogmanv2 posted:

What a tiresome, humourless and tedious post.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Endman posted:

let's keep talking about it for 3 pages and then multiple people can tell Frogman to kill he are self, it will be upholding the best traditions of our community.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Endman posted:

I'm sure you both have much more in common then.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
The best thing about iinet was that it had excellent routing to asia so you could actually play games with SEA without being routed through the western united states first.

TPG are a perfectly ok provider, I use them. They are nice and cheap and I have had very few problems, speeds are reasonable without being great and yes, their gear is lovely so I just grab my own.

Endman
May 18, 2010

SadisTech posted:

let's keep talking about it for 3 pages and then multiple people can tell Frogman to kill he are self, it will be upholding the best traditions of our community.

He gets it.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

SadisTech posted:

But if we do that, she will just call us tiresome and unfunny and the cycle will repeat

Endman
May 18, 2010

CrazyTolradi posted:

I'm sure you both have much more in common then.

Yeah well your mum is so fat when she walks into town she creates a traffic jam.

Then she eats the jam.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Endman posted:

Yeah well your mum is so fat when she walks into town she creates a traffic jam.

Then she eats the jam.

Yeah, my mother is dead.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Adding to the list of satisfied TPG customers. Supplied gear is poo poo but other then that no issues. Even gone over my download caps and not been throttled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Yeah, my mother is dead.

So is mine, but jesus she would have been on that jam like a locust plague before she kicked it.

• Locked thread