Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
In KK it's swipe a circle in whatever direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Exactly.

I mean I can see they're explaining in the way the circle glows and grows but it's certainly not apparent that the phone lives on the left and camera on the right. I don't have a problem with the functionality or even the shortcut; I have a problem that the gesture doesn't connect to an action in a way that a user can logically intuit before performing the action. It's certainly not obvious that a dialer lives on the left and you're pulling it into view by dragging left to right and in fact there isn't even an animation in practice, merely an indicator that it will eventually happen if you keep dragging in that direction. The wallpaper doesn't even move as though the view to the screen is moving, it literally just happens. Where's the material there? You're not moving a view to another pane.

That's not good UI, it's simply a thing you need to memorize. Good UI would be being able to look at the lockscreen without touching it and knowing what motions will do what action. There's no way a person who has never used a smartphone would know how to use it just by looking at it.
When Apple first added the camera shortcut to the iOS lockscreen (iOS6?), it wasn't (and still isn't) immediately apparent how to use it, with the obvious thing being to tap the icon. Doing this just makes the bottom of the screen bounce a little as if it's saying "Hey, I'm under here! Swipe up for me!" which I always thought was cute.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Endless Mike posted:

When Apple first added the camera shortcut to the iOS lockscreen (iOS6?), it wasn't (and still isn't) immediately apparent how to use it, with the obvious thing being to tap the icon. Doing this just makes the bottom of the screen bounce a little as if it's saying "Hey, I'm under here! Swipe up for me!" which I always thought was cute.

I actually just had to explain this to my mom. I was over at my parents place for a family thing and I saw that she kept unlocking the phone to take photos. I asked her why she wouldn't just use the camera lockscreen shortcut and she said "that never works". So I took the phone and swiped the camera icon up and she had this :aaa: moment before she goes, "I thought you were just supposed to tap it!"

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Require More Fire posted:

I actually just had to explain this to my mom. I was over at my parents place for a family thing and I saw that she kept unlocking the phone to take photos. I asked her why she wouldn't just use the camera lockscreen shortcut and she said "that never works". So I took the phone and swiped the camera icon up and she had this :aaa: moment before she goes, "I thought you were just supposed to tap it!"

No but you should just be able to look at it and know what to do. Otherwise it's poor design.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

Exactly.

I mean I can see they're explaining in the way the circle glows and grows but it's certainly not apparent that the phone lives on the left and camera on the right. I don't have a problem with the functionality or even the shortcut; I have a problem that the gesture doesn't connect to an action in a way that a user can logically intuit before performing the action. It's certainly not obvious that a dialer lives on the left and you're pulling it into view by dragging left to right and in fact there isn't even an animation in practice, merely an indicator that it will eventually happen if you keep dragging in that direction. The wallpaper doesn't even move as though the view to the screen is moving, it literally just happens. Where's the material there? You're not moving a view to another pane.

That's not good UI, it's simply a thing you need to memorize. Good UI would be being able to look at the lockscreen without touching it and knowing what motions will do what action. There's no way a person who has never used a smartphone would know how to use it just by looking at it.

I'm guessing someone who's never used a phone would probably poke the icon, which is when they get a handy message telling them which direction to swipe. If you know enough to swipe but you forget which way, tentatively moving in either direction will give you an obvious clue what that direction will do. Just tapping the screen will tell you how to unlock it, so you can get into the phone and use the normal icons if you want

It's discoverable and gives you information about what's happening in connection with your actions, which is part of the material design ethos. Try and think like a complete newbie for a minute - what's better? Seeing the little camera icon visually highlighting and expanding as you perform a movement, or seeing some weird fullscreen block start to creep over the screen, a thing you don't recognise because you don't know what the camera app even looks like? Would you be even remotely confident that you're doing the right thing? Or would grandma?

Material design's animation guidelines are more about reacting to user interaction, to provide a visual connection to what you just did and what's happening as a result - stuff like changes rippling outward from where you pressed, so you get a sense of direct consequence because of the thing you did. That's pretty much the opposite idea to 'people should know exactly what to do and what will result before they touch anything', which is a really hard thing to assume in UX, even among seasoned users let alone newbies

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

All I'm seeing here is "Look at all these scrubs that can't launch their camera by flicking their wrist."

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I think ICS did it the best, personally: drag the circle left for camera, right to unlock. On the incoming call screen you could drag it upwards to do the quickfire SMS responses, but lol anybody ever discovering/using that without being told about it

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I was confused by all this Moto X 2013 lockscreen poo poo and just realized its because these scrubs press the power button before they unlock.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
The wrist flick was something I thought I'd never ever use, and now I love it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

robodex posted:

Am I crazy or wasn't it swipe left in KK to unlock the phone?

I remember struggling with Lollipop when it came out since it had changed somehow, and I couldn't figure out why it always unlocked to the dialer. Wasn't until I realized it was now swipe up that I figured it out.

It's always traditionally been swipe right to unlock, like in iOS. On stock Android, you could really just swipe in any direction to unlock prior to the camera/dialer/etc lock screen shortcuts.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I just tried to flash my 2012 Nexus 7 with the 5.1 image I downloaded from google (https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images) but I'm getting a "signature mismatch" error, what gives?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

67 hours of uptime on 5.1 and not a single launcher redraw or hiccup. I am seeing Pocketcasts keeping the phone awake while I am listening to it, though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

All I'm seeing here is "Look at all these scrubs that can't launch their camera by flicking their wrist."

Doctor Butts posted:

I was confused by all this Moto X 2013 lockscreen poo poo and just realized its because these scrubs press the power button before they unlock.

Hace posted:

The wrist flick was something I thought I'd never ever use, and now I love it.

Moto phones = best phones.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

God dammit. N5 returned to the power button issue, now goes through "optimizing apps" every time it boots up.

I'm calling it, this N5 is dead. Really didn't want to have to get another phone so early; was hoping to get the next gen :doh:

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

FAUXTON posted:

I am seeing Pocketcasts keeping the phone awake while I am listening to it, though.

Which is totally normal. It has to use the CPU to play audio.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WugLyfe posted:

God dammit. N5 returned to the power button issue, now goes through "optimizing apps" every time it boots up.

I'm calling it, this N5 is dead. Really didn't want to have to get another phone so early; was hoping to get the next gen :doh:

Sounds like a cache issue. Have you tried a factory reset from recovery mode?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Sounds like a cache issue. Have you tried a factory reset from recovery mode?

Yes. This thing is toast.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WugLyfe posted:

Yes. This thing is toast.

Oh well. Sorry for your loss :(

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Oh well. Sorry for your loss :(

I'm just in a bit of a bind because I can't use an iPhone due to work, Windows phone is right out, and I don't know how long the N6/Moto X will survive/stay relevant. I really don't like getting a new phone every year, though my N5 lasted 1.5yr I guess.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

WugLyfe posted:

I'm just in a bit of a bind because I can't use an iPhone due to work, Windows phone is right out, and I don't know how long the N6/Moto X will survive/stay relevant. I really don't like getting a new phone every year, though my N5 lasted 1.5yr I guess.

Buy a MotoG.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Unfortunately unacceptable for what I require of it. I'm not going into any details, but an 805 is the absolute bare minimum of what I can use.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

tofes posted:

I just tried to flash my 2012 Nexus 7 with the 5.1 image I downloaded from google (https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images) but I'm getting a "signature mismatch" error, what gives?

I had the same problem, I just gave up and sideloaded the OTA.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

pairofdimes posted:

I had the same problem, I just gave up and sideloaded the OTA.

Just found this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2573015

I was able to update my bootloader from google's 4.4 image and then flash 5.1

Now I'm reminded why I switched from an Android phone to an iPhone, nice job google :downs:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

WugLyfe posted:

Unfortunately unacceptable for what I require of it. I'm not going into any details, but an 805 is the absolute bare minimum of what I can use.

Nexus 5 doesn't have an 805 though?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

WugLyfe posted:

The Galaxy s6 comes out in June, if you can wait, and don't mind the better-but-still-garish TouchWiz. It uses Samsung's in-house Exynos CPU this time around, which is looking to run circles around the Snapdragon 810.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

enojy posted:

The Galaxy s6 comes out in June, if you can wait, and don't mind the better-but-still-garish TouchWiz. It uses Samsung's in-house Exynos CPU this time around, which is looking to run circles around the Snapdragon 810.

And there's still persistent overheating rumors around the 810.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

/\ ain't no rumors, that thing gets toasty, then throttles

RVProfootballer posted:

Nexus 5 doesn't have an 805 though?

I was saying that I need an 805 at least on a new phone because it'll be required to carry a heavier load in a year.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 12, 2015

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
i love how many wacky niche cases pop up in the android thread

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

nerve posted:

I'll admit my situation is something shared by like, under 50 people on the planet, but I guess part of why Android is so appealing to many is because it humors so many niche interests.

Anyway, how's the 5.1 on the N6? Memory leak? Not there? Does it murder people when you look away?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

nerve posted:

Isn't this like Android to the T?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Lblitzer posted:

Isn't this like Android to the T?

no, actually the vast majority of people just use their galaxy or note and never even think about posting in a phone enthusiast thread

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

WugLyfe posted:

I was saying that I need an 805 at least on a new phone because it'll be required to carry a heavier load in a year.

If your phone needs to be super beefy for work related reasons, your work should be covering the cost of a super beefy phone. :shrug:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

WugLyfe posted:

Have you tried not using your phone wrong?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I'm actually super curious what business need specifically requires a Snapdragon 805.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
The Android Thread: Have you tried not using your phone wrong?

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

enojy posted:

The Galaxy s6 comes out in June, if you can wait, and don't mind the better-but-still-garish TouchWiz.

Oh man, will you be in for a surprise come this time next month.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Merv Burger posted:

Oh man, will you be in for a surprise come this time next month.

Oh, whoops! Does it come out next month and not in June? I might be mixing it up with something else.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

WugLyfe posted:

I'll admit my situation is something shared by like, under 50 people on the planet,

Holy poo poo this guy

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

So this happened to my Z3c on my trip to Taiwan.

I guess the humidity here got to the glue. :v: Still, how is it that Sony thought that securing the contact plate with only glue is a good idea?

Hopefully Sony won't know or give me grief for using a third-party magnetic connector when I'm trying to do a warranty claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm actually super curious what business need specifically requires a Snapdragon 805.

It's a media thing. Has to be able to run the latest Android OS at any given time in that span without an incident that'll leave me with a problem that'd slow down my workflow. Usually with phones I run into problems after about a year, and it's just something I'd like to avoid if at all possible.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 13, 2015