Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

CrazyTolradi posted:

Yeah, my mother is dead.

So... how about them Australian politics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

SadisTech posted:

So is mine, but jesus she would have been on that jam like a locust plague before she kicked it.

Now that's what I call a sticky situation!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Birb Katter posted:

I will give TPG this. They haven't poisoned the BGP routes like certain other companies have.

What's a BGP route?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Asphyxious posted:

Now that's what I call a sticky situation!

*tugs collar nervously*

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Would there be much of a difference between ADSL2+ and Naked DSL sync speeds at the same property?

Naked DSL can be ADSL2+. Shouldn't make much of a difference to sync speeds (although the copper *might* degrade over the years a bit more due a lack of wetting current).

Regarding the ISP market consolidation, I've seen the service levels @ Adam & Internode drop off a cliff since their acquisitions by iiNet (response times and quality/usefulness of responses), and higher level technical people with years of service in both the Adelaide ISPs offices have been made redundant. TPG acquiring the iiNet group will presumably continue this process, although I suspect it'll be the WA operations that lose out. If TPG were smart they'd try to conolidate things in Adelaide because it's a cheaper place to operate than the east coast or Perth.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
The world needs some rich fucks to get together and give everyone in the world free internet for the tiny cost of them keeping all your metadata indefinitely and harvesting it for revenue opportunities (a bit like google etc do now).

No one would give a gently caress if they're getting free internet into the deal, then they could sell the metadata to governments too for mad bank.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

MysticalMachineGun posted:

What's a BGP route?

This is a bit of a simplification but:

All internet companies need to talk to other internet companies to transfer data from your request to get to something on the internet (for example load the SA pages) to the place that actually has that information (so the SA servers in this example). Internet providers publish routing tables (border gateway protocol aka BGP) to other ISP's they're connected to so everyone knows how to talk to everyone else. If you publish bad information then your internet connection to where ever will get lost (so you won't be able to load SA because instead of going to a US server you end up in Russia or where ever). It's possible to push out information to ISP's that basically make them want to use your routing information even though it is bad if you gently caress up hard enough.

I'm not going to point out names because it may get me in a lot of poo poo but this has caused national internet outages in the past.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ah, okay. I'm familiar with that stuff, just not the acronym :)

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Router? I hardly know 'er!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Birb Katter posted:

This is a bit of a simplification but:

All internet companies need to talk to other internet companies to transfer data from your request to get to something on the internet (for example load the SA pages) to the place that actually has that information (so the SA servers in this example). Internet providers publish routing tables (border gateway protocol aka BGP) to other ISP's they're connected to so everyone knows how to talk to everyone else. If you publish bad information then your internet connection to where ever will get lost (so you won't be able to load SA because instead of going to a US server you end up in Russia or where ever). It's possible to push out information to ISP's that basically make them want to use your routing information even though it is bad if you gently caress up hard enough.

I'm not going to point out names because it may get me in a lot of poo poo but this has caused national internet outages in the past.

I'm vague on it but I want to say it was a dodo / telstra issue which was the most recent? My old place of employment has done it too. Was great fun.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Endman posted:

I still don't know your mums name btw. Tell her I said hello though.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Endman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrkeEX73NCY

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Birb Katter posted:

Well if Telstra didn't accept advertisements from sources they shouldn't be, then these things might not be such a problem

Edit: that incident was covered in the popular media so there's no need to be cagey about details

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 13, 2015

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Matthew Beet posted:

I'm vague on it but I want to say it was a dodo / telstra issue which was the most recent? My old place of employment has done it too. Was great fun.

Like I said I'm not going to name names but if you want to name cheap ISP's and get it right then go right ahead.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Birb Katter posted:

I still don't know your mums name btw. Tell her I said hello though.

Endma'am

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Birb Katter posted:

Like I said I'm not going to name names but if you want to name cheap ISP's and get it right then go right ahead.

Oh I know you wouldn't want to name it for your own reasons, and that's fine. This conversations going the way of the dodo though so lets move on.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Endman just calls her Endmum probably

Endman
May 18, 2010

The Endmother.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Endsister, :forkbomb:

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Anidav posted:

Tonight I will be heading to the Bracken Ridge Tavern to invite Malcolm Turnbull to the Something Lawful Politics Fanclub meetup.

Mu'ooz on the 23rd, or early April.

I'm ok with Turnbull attending.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

No predators and ample prey, why wouldn't a cat be a libertarian?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I'll just add equality to the list of things lyonhelm doesn't understand then.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I mentioned this before when someone posted the article on facebook, but if this is the case my cat can bootstrap itself to the loving supermarket.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

open24hours posted:

No predators and ample prey, why wouldn't a cat be a libertarian?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Kommando posted:

I'm ok with Turnbull attending.

Don't lie.

E:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Palmer saying Lazarus quit the pup after his wife was fired from her party job for not fullfilling the terms of her employment lmbo.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Shadeoses posted:

Any other politicians in Brisbane you feel like visiting?

Seriously, how about contacting Greens members, Larissa Waters, Anne Boccabella, Susan Wolf, Kirsten Lovejoy, Jonathan Sri... open the AEC electorate list for the last QLD election and pick a suburb and a name.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/qld-election-2015/results/electorates/

Or someone on this contact sheet http://qld.greens.org.au/office-bearers-party-contacts

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

beat me to it

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
First people were afraid the future was Brave New World

Then they were afraid it was 1984

It turns out it was Transmetropolitan

Endman
May 18, 2010

Kommando posted:

Seriously, how about contacting Greens members, Larissa Waters, Anne Boccabella, Susan Wolf, Kirsten Lovejoy, Jonathan Sri... open the AEC electorate list for the last QLD election and pick a suburb and a name.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/qld-election-2015/results/electorates/

Or someone on this contact sheet http://qld.greens.org.au/office-bearers-party-contacts

That would imply that Anidav isn't just doing this because he thinks it's funny.

Which it sorely isn't.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Endman posted:

That would imply that Anidav isn't just doing this because he thinks it's funny.

Which it sorely isn't.

So, on par with your humour then?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

May CAT BUDDHA save you all

The Hun today had a few laughs: they're going full blast how a teenage suicide bomber might have thought about bombing Melbourne but didn't, which is nice because he's dead and can't defend himself. No metadata was harmed in the production of this bullshit. They also claim that Ivanhoe Grammar School parents had NO IDEA there was a teacher facing abuse charges UNTIL THE HUN TOLD THEM. Funny, the news has been everywhere for a fortnight, do they all live under rocks? The funniest part was the letters page with the headline OUTRAGE OVERWHELMS SENSE about Abbotts comments/plans to cut Aboriginal regional communities: one letter saying the outrage was ridiculous, 7 saying it's another dumb and cruel Abbottism.

:siren: Michael Kroger is Vic Libs President again :siren: and he's got a new team! And they're getting The Report On How poo poo They Are next week. So exciting. The bottom of the barrel is feeling sore.

Endman
May 18, 2010

CrazyTolradi posted:

So, on par with your humour then?

Mate.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Cats are libertarians

*mentions how they need to be regulated otherwise they will destroy the environment, without a shred of irony*

*is david leyonhjelm*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Please neuter your libertarians.

• Locked thread