Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Adult Sword Owner posted:

It is, but I have some Korean stuff that is in 0% English so damned if I could ever give any info about it that's a bit better.

Pictures! I live right by an H-Mart, I'm sure I could find it in their massive ramen aisle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

wheez the roux posted:

i loving love chicken fried steak

Chicken fried steak is the best thing on earth, especially that gravy. Good god.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
PSA: there's a pretty nice food photography guide on Serious Eats: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/03/beginners-guide-to-food-photography.html

None of it was new to me, but I never have the time/energy to set up a proper shot after I finish cooking :(

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Gyoza'd.

Filling is carrot, onion, cabbage, garlic, ginger, seasame oil, chili paste and chorizo (didn't have any other protein around and needed to use it). Seasoned with soy and rice wine vinegar. Any tips to improve my gyoza game? The dough is stupid easy, especially with my pasta roller, plus I actually kinda like making it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

No-knead dough, colby jack cheese, pepperoni, in cast iron at 550 for around 20 minutes. It was delicious.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Hells yeah that's a nice looking greasewheel.

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

wheez the roux posted:

i loving love chicken fried steak

Care to share you gravy recipe? I have yet to find a country gravy recipe that is as good as I remember from childhood.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

Invisible Ted posted:

Gyoza'd.

Filling is carrot, onion, cabbage, garlic, ginger, seasame oil, chili paste and chorizo (didn't have any other protein around and needed to use it). Seasoned with soy and rice wine vinegar. Any tips to improve my gyoza game? The dough is stupid easy, especially with my pasta roller, plus I actually kinda like making it.

They look great - nice crimp! Maybe your dough looks a little thick - it should go pretty translucent when cooked (assuming you fry-steam-fry). Never had them with chorizo but they sound delicious.

When you shred the cabbage, you made sure to heavily salt, leave, then wring all the water out yeah?

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Nelson Mandela posted:

They look great - nice crimp! Maybe your dough looks a little thick - it should go pretty translucent when cooked (assuming you fry-steam-fry). Never had them with chorizo but they sound delicious.

When you shred the cabbage, you made sure to heavily salt, leave, then wring all the water out yeah?

I rolled them kinda thick because my pasta roller goes way too thin, going to the lowest setting with pasta feels kinda like you're eating nothing. I didn't actually know about the salting of the cabbage, I'll have to do that next time. I did saute all the filling, is that normal, or does it traditionally go in raw?

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME

Invisible Ted posted:

I rolled them kinda thick because my pasta roller goes way too thin, going to the lowest setting with pasta feels kinda like you're eating nothing. I didn't actually know about the salting of the cabbage, I'll have to do that next time. I did saute all the filling, is that normal, or does it traditionally go in raw?

The filling can go in raw. There shouldn't be much in each so it'll easily cook with the dumplings. Yeah I was taught to shred the cabbage pretty finely, heavily salt it and mix together, leave for 15 mins then wrap it up in a clean dishcloth and wring as much water out as you can. Then mix that in with the pork, ginger, etc.

I'm not sure how correct or authentic this actually is, but I was taught by a Japanese person while living in Japan (I know it's ostensibly Chinese, but they loving love their gyōza there) so I'm guessing it's not bad, and it's always worked for me. I'm sure there are lots of personal variations though. :)

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Sex Hobbit posted:

Pictures! I live right by an H-Mart, I'm sure I could find it in their massive ramen aisle.

It was in fact from H-Mart

I have no idea what the hell is going on, Google Translate helped me at least figure out how to cook it properly, and it's a nice spice level.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
It seems sound, I'm betting it helps a lot to keep it from making the seared dumpling soggy. Having the filling raw probably helps the texture a lot as well, mine weren't necessarily mush or anything, but it didn't have the same satisfying crunch as gyoza I've had in restaurants.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Adult Sword Owner posted:

It was in fact from H-Mart

I have no idea what the hell is going on, Google Translate helped me at least figure out how to cook it properly, and it's a nice spice level.

Korean says "Nagasaki Jjamppong". Here you go: http://www.amazon.com/NEW-Nagasaki-jjamppong-10pcs-noodles/dp/B006H1BEV0

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
I made some things. Mandatory apologies for the photo quality - first time taking pictures of food I've made.

Milk Tea & Honey Pound Cake from Lady and Pups - tasty and GREAT with coffee/tea.
I need to cook with tea more often!

After being devoured by coworkers:

Momofuku Milk Bar Corn Cookies - I bought their cookbook and have been drooling while reading for the past week. Figured I'd start with one of the easier recipes - two dozen of these were gone in an hour at work.

I used some leftover freeze-dried corn (after I pulverized them) for a Thai corn soup that was delicious but unfortunately eaten before I could think to snap a picture. :(

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

Amergin posted:

I made some things. Mandatory apologies for the photo quality - first time taking pictures of food I've made.

Milk Tea & Honey Pound Cake from Lady and Pups - tasty and GREAT with coffee/tea.
I need to cook with tea more often!

After being devoured by coworkers:

Momofuku Milk Bar Corn Cookies - I bought their cookbook and have been drooling while reading for the past week. Figured I'd start with one of the easier recipes - two dozen of these were gone in an hour at work.

I used some leftover freeze-dried corn (after I pulverized them) for a Thai corn soup that was delicious but unfortunately eaten before I could think to snap a picture. :(
Lady & Pups is one of the best food blogs, ever!
Also, those corn cookies are totally life-changing. Well, for me they were anyway. I also highly recommend them studded with dried (not freeze-dried) blueberries.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

sharkattack posted:

Lady & Pups is one of the best food blogs, ever!
Also, those corn cookies are totally life-changing. Well, for me they were anyway. I also highly recommend them studded with dried (not freeze-dried) blueberries.

I had never even considered using freeze-dried anything in food up until I read that. Mind-blowing the flavor that came from it - one of my coworkers described them as "a sugar cookie that tastes like Cap'n Crunch, and doesn't scratch the roof of your mouth!" as he downed like three of them.

I'll definitely try the blueberries idea, thanks!

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

Amergin posted:

I had never even considered using freeze-dried anything in food up until I read that. Mind-blowing the flavor that came from it - one of my coworkers described them as "a sugar cookie that tastes like Cap'n Crunch, and doesn't scratch the roof of your mouth!" as he downed like three of them.

I'll definitely try the blueberries idea, thanks!
Yeah, those cookies totally inspired me to make these freeze-dried strawberry cookies:

You can get so much flavor out of freeze-dried stuff, it's awesome! Oh and I've put freeze-dried strawberries in rice krispie treats---really yummy.

I've also made the sweet corn cereal milk ice cream pie from the cookbook that uses those cookies, and while it's delicious, it's hard to beat the cookies just on their own.
Now you've made me want to go bake up a batch, haha

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Rad, I still have a few left but good to know I can get more~

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Made African peanut stew:

Quite good! Recipe here: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/08/african-peanut-stew-vegan/

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Trying to get me and my dad eating healthier.
A tuna fillet and salad for dinner, salad was dressed with homemade vinagerette

Ball Tazeman fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 11, 2015

franco
Jan 3, 2003

cocoavalley posted:

Speaking of rarely cooking seafood ...

Catfish ceviche :v:

I'm such a sucker for a groan-worthy pun - you got me (looks fab :)).

Olpainless posted:

Man, that looks absolutely beautiful, I want a plate of that right now.

guppy posted:

This looks cool as hell

Thank you both! :blush:

Casu Marzu posted:

Nong shim black is so loving good for an instant pack

I hope you lot are happy - now I'm planning on scooting about various local Asian supermarkets to see if this mythical instant ramen lives up to your props.

My Little Puni posted:

Trying to get me and my dad eating healthier.

It'd be healthier for the two of you if you ate smaller portions ;) IT IS A PHOTO SIZE JOKE PLEASE DON'T HIT ME YOU ARE NOT GLUTTONS

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

I posted from my phone so I had no idea it was so huge
:blush:

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

brick cow posted:

Care to share you gravy recipe? I have yet to find a country gravy recipe that is as good as I remember from childhood.

You just use the pan you fried the steaks in.
Drain some oil, or add grease to make about 2-3 tbls left in the pan
Stir in 2-3 tbls of flour and scrape the bits off the pan
Slowly stir in a cup of milk a little at a time
Add lots of salt and fresh pepper.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

I recently found out about making tortilla pizza in a cast iron pan, and holy poo poo, this is the best thing. I thought it would be not so great as I did it mainly to save money at first, but it is almost criminal how well it works.

low quality jpeg
Mar 10, 2012

Hobo-sous vide salmon with lemon couscous and steamed cauliflower/broccoli/carrots.

Was my first time making hobo-sous vide so it was a bit messy and I think I used too much oil but man it tasted amazing

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Fat Lou posted:

I recently found out about making tortilla pizza in a cast iron pan, and holy poo poo, this is the best thing. I thought it would be not so great as I did it mainly to save money at first, but it is almost criminal how well it works.

That looks amazing! Just a regular tortilla pizza sauce and toppings?

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Dr. Pangloss posted:

That looks amazing! Just a regular tortilla pizza sauce and toppings?

Yeah. A regular flour tortilla, pizza sauce, mozzarella, and pepperoni. Halfway cooked on the stove until the tortilla is just starting to crisp up and blacken on the bottom and then thrown in the broiler for a few minutes to finish it off. I would never suspect that it was a flour tortilla if someone just handed me a slice. The best part of it is that it blackens up to have a really nice crispy crust. I know I am going to make this the next time I am drunk and I am going to forget it is cast iron, because I am not used to cast iron yet, and burn myself horrifically.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Fat Lou posted:

Yeah. A regular flour tortilla, pizza sauce, mozzarella, and pepperoni. Halfway cooked on the stove until the tortilla is just starting to crisp up and blacken on the bottom and then thrown in the broiler for a few minutes to finish it off. I would never suspect that it was a flour tortilla if someone just handed me a slice. The best part of it is that it blackens up to have a really nice crispy crust. I know I am going to make this the next time I am drunk and I am going to forget it is cast iron, because I am not used to cast iron yet, and burn myself horrifically.

The horrible burns you get from drunken pizza'ing are a treasure you'll keep with you forever.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Good ol' poached eggs on some thick-rear end toast, bread cheese, and broiled asparagus. A new easy cheap favorite around my house.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I did an attempt at blackened tilapia (tasty, kinda ugly) and panzanella (tasty, less ugly, made way too much) over the last couple days.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

I've been playing around with nothing special until tonight.

Oven fried panko shrimp on a bed of seaweed salad with a pomegranate wasabi reduction dipping sauce garnished with a lemon twirl.

That homemade pomegranate wasabi sauce is an eye opener! Reduce your favorite pomegranate juice from 1 cup to 1/4 cup (or thicker if you like) then add wasabi to taste. I used 1/4 teaspoon. Awesome.

low quality jpeg
Mar 10, 2012

Looks nice! Oven baking panko works better than expected

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Veritek83 posted:

The horrible burns you get from drunken pizza'ing are a treasure you'll keep with you forever.

fact. i have all kinds of marks on my arms from running an oven with a baking steel at 600º+ while drunk and high as poo poo and fumbling with my peel. i miss that kitchen

here is my substantially safer drunk late night dinner for tonight

penne all'arabbiata with incanestrato, complete with drunken attempt at plating

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

DiomedesGodshill posted:

That homemade pomegranate wasabi sauce is an eye opener! Reduce your favorite pomegranate juice from 1 cup to 1/4 cup (or thicker if you like) then add wasabi to taste. I used 1/4 teaspoon. Awesome.

You can buy ready-made pomegranate syrup in Middle-eastern shops. It's magical stuff.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

wheez the roux posted:

fact. i have all kinds of marks on my arms from running an oven with a baking steel at 600º+ while drunk and high as poo poo and fumbling with my peel. i miss that kitchen

here is my substantially safer drunk late night dinner for tonight

penne all'arabbiata with incanestrato, complete with drunken attempt at plating

The best burns are from a professional pizza oven. They make these big, nasty vagina-shaped welts on your arm and, because it's so shocking, you inevitably jerk away from the heat striking the OTHER side of your arm on the oven. Often, there's a hilarious three-or-four-time bounce where your arm just gets hosed

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
wanted some gyoza with a cheese filling, so I grated two hard cheeses and a mozzarella, added some fresh ginger, spring onions and black pepper

after the gyoza where made and dumped into the fridge for later use, lots of filling was left (as always),
so I opened a pack of tortilla wraps, coated them with lao gan ma chili crisp aka angry lady sauce and added the leftover cheesemixture

leftovers are great!

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Veritek83 posted:

It's always my left wrist and they're always parallel and evenly spaced (this is not just pizza). I'm starting to feel like a WWII pilot with their kills/shot-downs painted on the plane. It wouldn't be so bad, but they're all while stone-cold sober.

DiomedesGodshill posted:

I've been playing around with nothing special until tonight.

Oven fried panko shrimp on a bed of seaweed salad with a pomegranate wasabi reduction dipping sauce garnished with a lemon twirl.

This looks so gorgeous!

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

paraquat posted:

wanted some gyoza with a cheese filling, so I grated two hard cheeses and a mozzarella, added some fresh ginger, spring onions and black pepper

after the gyoza where made and dumped into the fridge for later use, lots of filling was left (as always),
so I opened a pack of tortilla wraps, coated them with lao gan ma chili crisp aka angry lady sauce and added the leftover cheesemixture

leftovers are great!
They're so perfectly golden brown and crispy :magical:
Quesadillas are in top 5 foods of my dreams.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Started with these triple-cut, bone-in monsters

Brined em overnight

Roasted the chops over low charcoal for 50 minutes, stoked the fire up blazing hot and seared em off on all sides, pulled at 133F, coasted up to 142F, served with saffron rice and grilled zucchini, squash, onions and mushrooms

The money shot

Ugh so full

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
drat dogg, those are roasts, not chops. Beautiful char on that one in the plated pic. Making me smell summertime dinners.

• Locked thread