Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Wouldn't it be easier just to play on an air hockey table?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Chance II posted:

My load of bullshit is reskinning the game as Crimson Skies and using the old ral partha minis. Man I miss that game.

Technically the tournament rules let you do whatever you want with the minis as long as you have the right dials/bases, so you should just mount your Crimson Skies minis on X-Wing bases and go to town. :getin:

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

TheTofuShop posted:

"That Guy" apparently attends my LGS, as yesterday there was a huge arguement between him and a fellow using a promo fett card.

The TO ruled that Fett could still fire off the rear arc, but this wasn't nationals or anything, just a weekend tourney. :smith:

I know most of you think I am just butthurt but this is the kind of behavior I experienced at my first weekend tourney as well. (Turns out all the players like this traveled from other cities for the tournament and none of the regulars I play with now signed up), so they are putting a lot of people here off tournament play.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Mar 10, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

And so far in the two tournaments I've been to, in the middle of London and with people travelling in from out of town, I never experienced anything of the sort :shrug:

Phrosphor, the reason why people thought you were butthurt was because you joined a tournament after you had barely started playing, you seemed to be annoyed that people weren't walking you through rules/card combos etc and felt that people were using optimized builds against you when you were just flying with what you had. I'm not saying that it is your fault and if people were pressuring you to join the tourney, they were dicks, but I didn't join a tourney until I had been playing the game for several months.

I can still remember all the poo poo that me and my friend (who was the only person I was playing with for some time) got wrong, and I don't doubt that I would have also found it stressful if I joined a tournament then and people were correcting all of my mistakes and it's likely I wouldn't have found it enjoyable either.

I think this is different, however, from someone using an oversight like this 'not shooting backwards' thing to gain an unfair advantage.

In the end, maybe tournaments aren't for you. I'm not saying this as a bad thing, but for some people it is difficult to enter a super-competitive mindset. X-Wing can be a lot of fun in both casual and tournament play, but it's not like you have to play tournament to experience 'how x-wing is truly played' or any of that poo poo.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

zVxTeflon posted:

Bring a phantom. Or something with Att 3 that can live inside tightly packed asteroids. PTL interceptors, FCS/AdS Bwings. Swarms while good blockers dont have the punch to break through 3 agil with auto thrusters

The first time I ran my aggressors I boosted right at the other guy's phantom, ionized it (sure, you've got 4 defense dice, but I've got 4 attacks and only need to land one hit) and next round closed to range one and tore it up with autoblasters. So goddamn satisfying.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Technically the tournament rules let you do whatever you want with the minis as long as you have the right dials/bases, so you should just mount your Crimson Skies minis on X-Wing bases and go to town. :getin:

Nope, all you can do to your minis is paint them. Those YT-2000 mods, and even adding fins to your Royal Guard interceptors are technically not tournament legal.

Poopy Palpy fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Mar 10, 2015

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
He has 1 more Falcon than I do though. :smith:

Hopefully that will be fixed this week or next, though.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

During worlds, there were several modified ships that TO's allowed. Now, I don't know how modified they were and I'm sure Paul, Ira, and Honter (those who made it to top 16) would have forgotten by now if I asked them, but they were allowed. I don't think there were ever any under the camera and if they'd use a standard model if so for clarity/advertisement purposes.

But yeah, technically not allowed and always by TO discretion. Please don't paint the boobs or rebel flag.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Phrosphor posted:

I know most of you think I am just butthurt but this is the kind of behavior I experienced at my first weekend tourney as well. (Turns out all the players like this traveled from other cities for the tournament and none of the regulars I play with now signed up), so they are putting a lot of people here off tournament play.

I'm sorry this happened to you. A lot of nova squadron also travel from place to place - wives and schools permitting. I travelled with a bunch of people to the WV tournament last weekend, and likely travel to southern MD next weekend just for store champs. Maybe even to WV or PA on the 21st as well. It saddens me to see people who are jerks do this and the same was true in magic as well. Grinders we called them, chasing after that dream and grinding those hours.

Now, I and the people from nova squad do it just because we really love x wangs and love the big 30+ person turnouts. It's fun. I wonder how people can be such assholes when all you get is one bye and don't even need it to qualify. Anyone can show up and the 150 point bye is actually detrimental half the time since, say, fat Han guarantees at least a 162 point victory when it wins. The plaque is nice but doesn't even have your name on it!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

One of the goddamn microscopic fragile cannons on the top quad turret of my recently arrived Decimator busted off from just existing in the same Plano case as a Firespray and Lambda.

How can something with such tiny guns have a goddamn attack value of 3?! :argh:

Anyway, if and when I decide to pop by one of the LGS's in my area, what's the usual point value for a pick up game? 100pts? 150pts?

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 10, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

100 points and it's the same size as the falcon's guns. It's just not as noticeable since the falcon is a lot smaller.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I've finally figured out what FFG can add to the game as the Imperial equivalent to the Rebel transport: Vader's Transuniversal Carrier Ship.

e; maybe they can also add Luke's Two-Seated Land-Repelling Kind Of Spacecraft.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 11, 2015

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I've finally figured out what FFG can add to the game as the Imperial equivalent to the Rebel transport: Vader's Transuniversal Carrier Ship.

e; maybe they can also add Luke's Two-Seated Land-Repelling Kind Of Spacecraft.

... the DC-10?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Don't be silly, that's a capital ship. It belongs in Star Wars Armada.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
What about a Gozanti Cruiser? Or a Carrack?

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Or just a fuckin' space galleon. Why the Hell not.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The Gozanti Cruiser would be the best bet, I'd say. Particularly since they're all over the place in the Rebels tv show.

Halverine
May 26, 2004

Endsay ookhay
That comic is glorious!

I like how Vader rides a triceratops. And we also learn that space Knight Obi-Wan is partial to J&B Scotch.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Gozanti was less than half the size of the GR-75 but it could serve the same purpose.

Star galleons were twice as long as the corvette, won't see those on the table.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
What about the BFF-1 Bulk Freighter, the sitting duck of many an X-Wing video game?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I'd buy one at 1:270 scale just to have it sit in the middle of the play area and be the biggest, bulk-freighteriest pain in the rear end.

Also you could probably make scenarios with it?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Now a little less luxury yacht, and a little more Empire.

Not 100% happy, but not bad for a first try.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I like it. The engine glow looks real baller against the black.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I know exactly what the next big ship should be.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hunter-Killer_probot

Literally :getin:

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Man, the EU got ~weird~

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

overdesigned posted:

Man, the EU got ~weird~

Ugh, you don't know the half of it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I got 2nd at a monthly tournament and got the PTL, Paul Heaver a-wing ace, and the ruler. Ruler is cool but lol it says spring 2015 and is about 2-3mm shorter than the cardboard one. I'm gonna get Paul to sign the a-wing and put "Keep Flying!" unless someone has a better idea.

Auto-thrusters are giving Han and his gunner a hard time but I'm still able to pull it off. I'm just hoping there will be more phantoms than barons at Saturday's store champs.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 12, 2015

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Is that a a wing card with his face on it or?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's Tycho Celchu but check out Paul's mug on the finals or that pic of him holding the plaque and you can't tell me that it seriously doesn't look like him.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Fun fact, mangler cannon on Outrider is pretty great.

Second fun fact: I am dumbass, and the outrider, a b-wing and a z-95 are terrible terrible jousting ships!

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Another fun fact: Krassis Trelix's HLC has a 1 in 5 chance of one-shotting an N'Dru Suhlak who doesn't have focus.

I somehow managed to recover from that.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Regional in Raleigh in June. Make it happen goons 8)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ManifunkDestiny posted:

What about the BFF-1 Bulk Freighter, the sitting duck of many an X-Wing video game?

I thought it was strange that I haven't seen any custom built bulk freighters and a quick image search resulted in this:

:drat:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Man, I remember flying inbetween the cargo containers, using em as cover while blasting the freighter all the time in TIE fighter. Good times.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

alg posted:

Nova squad is wondering why there isn't a tournament in the DMV area and we're beginning to suspect it's cuz FFG knows we'll go to the surrounding ones anyway. WV and PA confirmed and I'm seeing who wants to go to Raleigh too.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Thinking of taking this 98 point list to a tournament:

Whisper
- VI
- ACD
- Gunner (so you can take Evade every turn)
- FCS

Soontir
- PtL
- Autothrusters
- Royal Guard
- Stealth Device

Dark Curse
- Stealth Device

It's crazy slippery with some decent offense, but obviously once the dodginess fails it will explode to damage. Any glaring problems? Maybe take Mauler Mithel and put VI on him to eat Rebel Captive shots?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's a great list as long as you don't face a Soontir /decimator build from my observation. Maybe whisper too but Steve likes his baron. I don't know if it's the gunner or Vader but two of my friends have been practicing with it and the one that runs your list has that problem. Fat Han with gunner has trouble killing Soontir more than a phantom (even cloaked), funny enough. Auto thruster is really good.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 13, 2015

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Super-slippery lists are fun, but I have a hard time taking any 3-ship list where one of them has 2-dice attack...then again I also want to run this:

"Lucky Sevens"
Scum, 100 points

Kath Scarlet
+ Heavy Laser Cannon

Kavil
+ Push the Limit
+ Unhinged Astromech
+ BTL-A4 Y-wing
+ Blaster Turret
+ Engine Upgrade

N'dru Suhlak
+ Lone Wolf

which would probably die to a Whisper list pretty fast.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Do they rotate which stores get regionals? The two stores in this area that had them last year dont have them anymore.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Chill la Chill posted:

It's a great list as long as you don't face a Soontir /decimator build from my observation. Maybe whisper too but Steve likes his baron. I don't know if it's the gunner or Vader but two of my friends have been practicing with it and the one that runs your list has that problem. Fat Han with gunner has trouble killing Soontir more than a phantom (even cloaked), funny enough. Auto thruster is really good.

Yeah if it goes into Soontir Decimator, the question is basically can Whisper kill his Soontir before my Soontir dies.

I could always trick super hard into the anti-Autothrusters mindset

Oicunn
- Darth Vader

Kenkirk
- Lone Wolf
- Ysanne Isard
- Rebel Captive
- Moff Jerjerrod

Not super killy, but a very tanky Kenkirk outlives Oicunn whose only job is to kill Soontir at all costs. I don't think it has great game against the YTs though, in Han or Dash flavor, let alone swarms.

-edit-

But I think I'm dancing around the inevitable.

Rear Admiral Chiraneau
- Predator
- Gunner
- Ysanne Isard
- Rebel Captive
- Engine Upgrade

Soontir
- PtL
- Autothrusters
- Hull Upgrade

parabolic fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

alg posted:

I'll be there to get poo poo on again. Breakfast at IHOP?

• Locked thread