Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
The bumrush opening has an obvious and very satisfying solution though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

memy posted:

The bumrush opening has an obvious and very satisfying solution though.

Actually, it was terrible and not fun.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I fail to recall a stage in the first game that bum-rushed you with eight dudes the second you stepped through the door.

Nearly all of HM2's stages forced me to do things in an extremely specific way or die instantly. And then it introduced enemies immune to bullets. And then it introduced hosed-up lighting that made enemies hard to see. And throughout it all I couldn't take two steps without getting perforated by some eagle-eyed rear end hole behind three separate glass walls.

Just awful. What was going through their heads? Why did they think anyone who played the first would find this entertaining, let alone newcomers to the series?

This is it, this is the thing that I hate about HLM2, they took away all choice. There's no creativity involved anymore, just execution of the obviously optimal strategy of "pull nerd to door, hit nerd with thing".

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's kinda like they didn't understand what made the first game fun

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Or maybe we're all being punished for having too much fun hurting other people. They didn't want us enjoying ourselves because violence shouldn't be enjoyable :v:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
S-ranked The Abyss on normal, got the cheevo for not letting my anger get the best of me. :allears: I never would have guessed I could have so much fun hurting people less!

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Lasher posted:

People trying to get all the weapon kills, there's a really easy to miss one on Jakes level. As soon as you start on the reception table is a glass bottle.

2 more to go.

Really? Son of a bitch!

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

I fail to recall a stage in the first game that bum-rushed you with eight dudes the second you stepped through the door.

Nearly all of HM2's stages forced me to do things in an extremely specific way or die instantly. And then it introduced enemies immune to bullets. And then it introduced hosed-up lighting that made enemies hard to see. And throughout it all I couldn't take two steps without getting perforated by some eagle-eyed rear end hole behind three separate glass walls.

Just awful. What was going through their heads? Why did they think anyone who played the first would find this entertaining, let alone newcomers to the series?

What's that one stage where you climb a tower and fight the Van at the end? That one.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The bum-rush might be my favourite part of the game. If nothing else, it's right at the start of the level, so you lose like 1.6 seconds of progress whenever you die.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
Apparently this is a ~bad opinion~ but I really like gun combat just as much as melee in Hotline Miami, I'm the kind of guy that just pick up whatever drops on the floor and rolls with it, I also think its cool when I backpedal around a corner to get ready to mow down like, 4 people coming after me with a SMG, but, like I said, just my thoughts on things.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Studio posted:

What's that one stage where you climb a tower and fight the Van at the end? That one.

The only issue I have with the HLM2 variant of that is that sometimes the dude in the front spawns with a shotgun which is wholly unsuited for gunning down the guys that swarm you there. The gif I saw where the first guy had an assault rifle made me jealous that I was not fortunate enough for that. In the HLM1 level the first guy has a silenced pistol, so you space-execute him, grab it and pick off the 4-5 dudes that witness you without alerting the rest of the floor.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Dealing with aggro in this game is like back in EQ days when you have to VERRRY carefully pull a single mob out of a pit or something in Lower Guk and then pull it around a corner to kill it. It's the most cheeseball combat on earth and they made an entire game out of it.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Replaying the normal levels and going full YOLO because you know the layouts has to be one of the best experiences ever. What a great game.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Pictured: correctly completing Alex & Ash stages.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 13, 2015

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Alex & Ash are so god drat great. I can't wait to go hog wild with them in user-made stages. I've got my fair share of complaints about the game but overall I really do love it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Alex & Ash are definitely interesting. Crazy homicidal ice climbers. :black101:

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Does anyone know the name of the song that plays throughout the four fans' missions?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Geight posted:

The only issue I have with the HLM2 variant of that is that sometimes the dude in the front spawns with a shotgun which is wholly unsuited for gunning down the guys that swarm you there. The gif I saw where the first guy had an assault rifle made me jealous that I was not fortunate enough for that. In the HLM1 level the first guy has a silenced pistol, so you space-execute him, grab it and pick off the 4-5 dudes that witness you without alerting the rest of the floor.

This happened to me, too. I still managed it with the shotgun, but the assault rifle looks way cooler because in mine I backed right into the corner and even after emptying the gun had to throw/punch and execute some dudes. Richter definitely had the most solid levels overall.

I seriously can't wait for the level creator, because the map layouts were the only thing in this that I didn't really enjoy as much as the first. In general I liked the story, varying mask mechanics, and music more, but the maps could have been a little better even if they were definitely cooler-looking.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It occurs to me the Janitors were lying in the secret ending of the first game because a 50 blessings rep kills Jake and torches Richter's car. :v:

Discendo Vox posted:

The box cover

Based on what? We have one line from the interview, which is totally something a character actor would say in that sort of setting, and the actor saying he's had disturbing dreams. That's all we have. I have no clue where people are getting this intentional director action stuff from.

I get that Pardo is the mutilator, but the rest of the dream sequence, especially with the puppet figure in the crime scene, doesn't make sense.

There's just not enough time dedicated to either of the "deep" actor/film/director plotlines for them to hold coherence.

I thought you meant the guy in the foreground and was going to say he wasn't bald then I realized you meant the shapes in the back.

Anyways, the puppet was saying that Manny created him because you know, he IS him. I also sort-of recall it being mentioned the Miami Mutilator wore a mask, which I assume was the puppet.

bewilderment posted:

Pictured: correctly completing Alex & Ash stages.

Tables: More dead then any one character.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I've seen people say Jake has no place in the story, but I think he might. He looks like the fat soldier during the Hawaii missions, and you never clearly see fat soldier's face since he wears a bandana, but they got the same ears and similar forehead, albeit Jake's is more haggard with age. Makes sense to me that they might be the same person, especially since Jake loving hates him some Commie bastards and wants America to rise again.

Also, regarding The Detective: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article1945266.html

something posted:

Does anyone know the name of the song that plays throughout the four fans' missions?

When you level select it tells you the name and band/artist.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

something posted:

Roller Mobster

Shima Honnou posted:

I've seen people say Jake has no place in the story, but I think he might. He looks like the fat soldier during the Hawaii missions, and you never clearly see fat soldier's face since he wears a bandana, but they got the same ears and similar forehead, albeit Jake's is more haggard with age. Makes sense to me that they might be the same person, especially since Jake loving hates him some Commie bastards and wants America to rise again.

Jake doesn't have the scar.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I had to figure out which song was the one that plays before missions, since it doesn't tell you in game like the mission themes themselves.

Its Blizzard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOu452YNoHM

That's chill as gently caress.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Studio posted:

That one is completely doable because they give you cover, a silenced pistol, and enemies patrol so you can bait a few out at a time.

Miami 1 had 3 big enemies, tops, on the second to last level. Miami 2 has around 8 on a level half way through the game.

Shima Honnou posted:

Also, regarding The Detective: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article1945266.html

When you level select it tells you the name and band/artist.

Yeah I felt the Detective was too obvious because of that.

Jake I don't think could be that guy because you don't see the big soldier leaving the powerplant with Jacket and Beard. I assumed he died trying to save the other guy.

something posted:

Roller Mobster by Carpeter Brut I think.

Discendo Vox posted:

It looks like it's the Fans that are protesting outside the courthouse during the intro to First Trial

Just Alex and Ash, highlighting another personality difference amongst the fans.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Actually Biker encountered the janitors for sure. It's clear after two years in the desert and get scared by someone there that he came out not quite sane. He just does not seem to remember what happened. But he still seemed to have some sort of idea that there was somthing big going on which he would not know unless he found the puzzle pieces. Plus the Janitors meeting with Richter could have happened before they met Biker.

The dates don't work out and he mentioned that it happened in the desert.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 13, 2015

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Just picked up the game, played to the part where you play as the mob boss and loving hell does the dodge roll feel useless in this game.

Music is awesome though, so that is a plus.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

tower of druaga posted:

Now explain The Abyss

Everything happens and doesn't happen. The game is both real and imagined, inside the context of the character's world.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Oxxidation posted:

See, this is a sentiment that people had echoed a few times and I had no earthly idea what any of you were talking about because that was like one of the high points of the game for me.

Guy standing by the door has a machine gun. Bust through, knock him down, grab the gun, 8 guys are charging you, and you mow them the gently caress down. Charge the rest of the floor with the rest of your clip and kill the rest of them for a cool 15x combo and feel like the biggest badass around.

Then on a replay I did the level again and instead of a machine gun the guy had a shotgun with 2 shells. :ohdear: That is probably something that shouldn't have been randomized. You can get through it with a lot of punching but it's not nearly as fun.

The thing with Richter's levels is that they all revolve around really precise openers. There's that level, where you have to react quickly and use the dropped gun to even the odds when everyone sees you; then his second level where you need a precise order of kills to get your hands on the one gun in the room before the heavy enemy knocks your head off. Generally after that point you get a bit more leeway but the levels all start with Richter having nothing against steep odds, and figuring out the available way to even them.

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 13, 2015

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Meiteron posted:

See, this is a sentiment that people had echoed a few times and I had no earthly idea what any of you were talking about because that was like one of the high points of the game for me.

Guy standing by the door has a machine gun. Bust through, knock him down, grab the gun, 8 guys are charging you, and you mow them the gently caress down. Charge the rest of the floor with the rest of your clip and kill the rest of them for a cool 15x combo and feel like the biggest badass around.

Then on a replay I did the level again and instead of a machine gun the guy had a shotgun with 2 shells. :ohdear: That is probably something that shouldn't have been randomized. You can get through it with a lot of punching but it's not nearly as fun.

The thing with Richter's levels is that they all revolve around really precise openers. There's that level, where you have to react quickly and use the dropped gun to even the odds when everyone sees you; then his second level where you need a precise order of kills to get your hands on the one gun in the room before the heavy enemy knocks your head off. Generally after that point you get a bit more leeway but the levels all start with Richter having nothing against steep odds, and figuring out the available way to even them.

Uh yeah, I got the 2 shell shotgun only. I specifically had to use the door glitch on all those guys to make it even possible which was dumb.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Meiteron posted:

Then on a replay I did the level again and instead of a machine gun the guy had a shotgun with 2 shells. That is probably something that shouldn't have been randomized. You can get through it with a lot of punching but it's not nearly as fun.

Guy had a shotgun for me too, which made him useless. Had to take out another dude with a knife instead, which caused problems because of how much the game prioritizes firearms over melee when trying to pick up items.

It's atrocious design even if you do get a giddy rush pasting all those dudes at once.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Rexicon1 posted:

This is it, this is the thing that I hate about HLM2, they took away all choice. There's no creativity involved anymore, just execution of the obviously optimal strategy of "pull nerd to door, hit nerd with thing".

It's a meta commentary about :unsmigghh:

My big issue with the story is it sacrifices being a good story for meta commentary, when (I feel) good art be it a book or movie or game has both.

Eaten by Tigers posted:

Apparently this is a ~bad opinion~ but I really like gun combat just as much as melee in Hotline Miami, I'm the kind of guy that just pick up whatever drops on the floor and rolls with it, I also think its cool when I backpedal around a corner to get ready to mow down like, 4 people coming after me with a SMG, but, like I said, just my thoughts on things.

Now that you mention it I can only think of like 4 prespawned weapons in the game.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Got the double barreled as well but thought that was the point, ended up doing some Roy Jones moves to hang on in there.

They should have made the double barreled shotgun penetrate soft targets like in Doom 2 so it had a niche, at the moment it's just a bad gun.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Meiteron posted:

This, but with grabbing another dudes knife and just slicing all those fuckers up.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I think the game definitely has some supernatural elements, which for me explains some of the weirder stuff. Like, Richard appears to a bunch of people who don't know each other but still acts in a consistent way. It's an alternate history with really bizarre people in it, so why can't the masks literally be a bunch of evil spirits or something that prey on people prone to violence? I'm not saying it couldn't all be "real," but that's been my take since the first game.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Figured the achievement name Dead Silent was a hint and got to see Writer's hulked-out form in Subway while getting that one. It's an amusing transformation to see once, but I actually quite like his regular Batman playstyle. I'm trying to get A+ on all of his levels without utilizing a bug where you can get an extra thousand points from every enemy you subdue by clicking m1 again after the first score pop-up and then immediately dismounting. It even seems to increment your combo counter, so I expect the top of the leaderboards will be using that glitch as much as possible.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Anatharon posted:

Jake I don't think could be that guy because you don't see the big soldier leaving the powerplant with Jacket and Beard. I assumed he died trying to save the other guy.

Wait then again in the intro to Withdrawal he mentions 'many of us have millitary experience

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Pharmaskittle posted:

Like, Richard appears to a bunch of people who don't know each other but still acts in a consistent way.

Personally I think it's because it's nothing supernatural, but what Richard the character represents in a person's mind. The reason his character is consistent whenever he appears is because he represents elements of HM2's characters that persist within all of them.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Topic moves too fast for a long edit so I'll just repost this here:

I think the biggest difference in level design is that HM1 emphasized improvisation but HM2 emphasizes execution. In the first game you were left, most of the time, to plan your own murder spree through the individual levels. There was a lot of leeway for different pathing, for weapon choice, for kill order.

HM2 is so similar in a lot of ways to the first game that there's almost a mental disconnect when you start out in that the levels seem like they're designed poorly. They totally are - by HM1's standards. The thing is, HM2 doesn't want to play like HM1. It doesn't give a poo poo what your plan is for a particular level, because now each level has a rough solution. The attempts, and experimentation, and many many deaths, are there for you the player to figure out what the solution is and then execute it.

You see this because there are so few levels which have the free roaming aspect of HM1 and that's by design. All the levels have restrictions in design thanks to enemy and window placement. The player characters all have some kind of restriction which forces you to play them differently. In later levels they start adding in more restrictions like the night club's low visibility or enemies which can only be killed by melee.

Now, if HM1 was your thing then it's understandable that you'd look at all this and say, "this is bullshit", because from a HM1 perspective it is. They're not the same kind of game, no matter how similarly they play.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Regarding the ending: Do you think they ever intended to have the general's coup be a mission, but decided that having a level where you assassinate two alternate-history world leaders was maybe a bit too much?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Geight posted:

Regarding the ending: Do you think they ever intended to have the general's coup be a mission, but decided that having a level where you assassinate two alternate-history world leaders was maybe a bit too much?

Doubt it. Much like the last game, 50 Blessings' political agenda was never important. It was all about the people who got caught up in the violence it helped spark off.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Doubt it. Much like the last game, 50 Blessings' political agenda was never important. It was all about the people who got caught up in the violence it helped spark off.

That's a fair conclusion. I was just thinking how cool it would be to see the general kick down a door wearing that same dead puma skin with the 50 Blessing logo carved into it and just unleash hell. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Meiteron posted:

Topic moves too fast for a long edit so I'll just repost this here:

I think the biggest difference in level design is that HM1 emphasized improvisation but HM2 emphasizes execution. In the first game you were left, most of the time, to plan your own murder spree through the individual levels. There was a lot of leeway for different pathing, for weapon choice, for kill order.

HM2 is so similar in a lot of ways to the first game that there's almost a mental disconnect when you start out in that the levels seem like they're designed poorly. They totally are - by HM1's standards. The thing is, HM2 doesn't want to play like HM1. It doesn't give a poo poo what your plan is for a particular level, because now each level has a rough solution. The attempts, and experimentation, and many many deaths, are there for you the player to figure out what the solution is and then execute it.

You see this because there are so few levels which have the free roaming aspect of HM1 and that's by design. All the levels have restrictions in design thanks to enemy and window placement. The player characters all have some kind of restriction which forces you to play them differently. In later levels they start adding in more restrictions like the night club's low visibility or enemies which can only be killed by melee.

Now, if HM1 was your thing then it's understandable that you'd look at all this and say, "this is bullshit", because from a HM1 perspective it is. They're not the same kind of game, no matter how similarly they play.

I was actually just about to post something really similar.

Personally I kinda like levels being half-action, half-puzzle. It makes things interesting in a way that's very different than the first game.

Geight posted:

I doubt it. A major theme of HM2 is that all of the actions of the playable characters are basically pointless in the end Doing something so drastic and important would probably take away from that.

• Locked thread