Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

I tried a farming setup where I captured a whole bunch of outdoor land and walled it up in 8x8 cells, and then disassembled the walls leaving enough supports to hold the ceiling up. Well, I won't do that again because it's a giant fire hazard/Easy-Bake oven for colonists. :supaburn:

I'm not seeing the problem with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

Flesh Forge posted:

I tried a farming setup where I captured a whole bunch of outdoor land and walled it up in 8x8 cells, and then disassembled the walls leaving enough supports to hold the ceiling up. Well, I won't do that again because it's a giant fire hazard/Easy-Bake oven for colonists. :supaburn:

This happened to me with a mountain Vault and an electrical explosion in my hydroponics. I'd been keeping the entire interior except for the bedrooms as a single space for easy temperature management. I stopped trying to fight the fire when the temperature hit 100C and it had risen to 250C by the time the last guy got outside. Can dudes at this temperature spontaneously combust because I think that happened just as he was leaving. I ended up having to dismantle doors from the outside in and flush the hot air out.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Senethro posted:

This happened to me with a mountain Vault and an electrical explosion in my hydroponics. I'd been keeping the entire interior except for the bedrooms as a single space for easy temperature management. I stopped trying to fight the fire when the temperature hit 100C and it had risen to 250C by the time the last guy got outside. Can dudes at this temperature spontaneously combust because I think that happened just as he was leaving. I ended up having to dismantle doors from the outside in and flush the hot air out.

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY14qeWPCZ4

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Holy gently caress, that's actually a pretty brilliant (if completely horrific :stonk:) low-effort defensive strategy, could you do the same thing with a shitload of heaters set to ludicrously high temperatures?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
That looks like the exact opposite of low-effort to me.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Heffer posted:

Does colonist shooting skill affect their use of mortars? because these guys are lovely shots.

mortars don't use the gun skill. They are just incredibly inaccurate. You will probably take 10+ rounds to hit anything.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Start on a forest map, use incendiary mortars.

You might want to have a fire break up first though.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Mister Bates posted:

Holy gently caress, that's actually a pretty brilliant (if completely horrific :stonk:) low-effort defensive strategy, could you do the same thing with a shitload of heaters set to ludicrously high temperatures?

Probably, but fire is the best way to raise indoor temperatures insanely quickly and won't fail due to a solar flare. Someone did something similar with coolers that would freeze mechanoids but I can't remember the details/find it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It's weird, I expected tundra and desert to be way more hostile and hard to survive on than they are. While you're pressed a lot harder in tundra to do hydroponics, at least it's cold all the time and you don't have to worry about temperature differential making colonists sick (just put them in parkas and they're fine) or spoilage of food/hunting kills. For desert yeah it's hot, but it just doesn't seem threatening. I bet if Tynan implemented drinks along with food it would be quite a lot harder and more interesting.

e: The worst thing about desert is lightning storms setting all your poo poo on fire. We can build geothermal power plants out of sticks and dried poop but we don't know what lightning rods are.

e: game needs lightning rods

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 13, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm looking for a simple mod that allows crafting of low tier armor, nothing powergamey. There's a bunch of mods out there that add ridiculous bullshit, I just want something basic like the Gunsmithing table mod, which is just perfect for what it is.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I used a cheaty colonist with 20 Crafting skill to make a masterwork plasteel longsword. The thing did 30 damage and was practically a lightsaber.

Now imagine if you could craft a masterwork sniper rifle for your careful shooter colonist. Honestly, masterwork weapons are so rare, powerful and ludicrously expensive that they should get their own name. Good luck finding a trader that sells one (and good luck finding the money to buy it) though.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

I bet if Tynan implemented drinks along with food it would be quite a lot harder and more interesting.

Water is conspicuously absent from the game given the emphasis on survival, and especially the significance of food and starvation. Certainly the desert biome doesn't feel quite right without it. If Tynan does add water eventually, I hope someone makes a stillsuit mod so I can go all-out on an Arrakis-themed playthrough.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

It's weird, I expected tundra and desert to be way more hostile and hard to survive on than they are. While you're pressed a lot harder in tundra to do hydroponics, at least it's cold all the time and you don't have to worry about temperature differential making colonists sick (just put them in parkas and they're fine) or spoilage of food/hunting kills. For desert yeah it's hot, but it just doesn't seem threatening. I bet if Tynan implemented drinks along with food it would be quite a lot harder and more interesting.

e: The worst thing about desert is lightning storms setting all your poo poo on fire. We can build geothermal power plants out of sticks and dried poop but we don't know what lightning rods are.

e: game needs lightning rods

Even worse is that the colonists know how to make solar panels from nothing more than metal, but have forgotten what a fire extinguisher is and resort to stomping on fires to put them out.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Am I missing a way to put out a fire that is 2 tiles deep? i.e. when my solar panel catches on fire, they'll put out the nearest fire, but the middle of the panel keeps burning and it seems there's no way to stop it?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

crabrock posted:

Am I missing a way to put out a fire that is 2 tiles deep? i.e. when my solar panel catches on fire, they'll put out the nearest fire, but the middle of the panel keeps burning and it seems there's no way to stop it?

If it's raining, you best bet is to tell your colonists to repair it. Otherwise try to disassemble it before it breaks, cause you get more resources back I think.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

As far as I can tell if a solar panel catches on fire it's doomed :shrug:

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

As far as I can tell if a solar panel catches on fire it's doomed :shrug:

It's agonizing when your Steam Generator gets a fire in the middle and you just get to watch a pile of metal go up in smoke.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Is legendary a lower level of quality than Masterwork?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Is there a mod that makes it so I don't waste a medkit on giving prisoners anesthesia if I'm harvesting their organs?

Like, I get the principle of it, but if someone tries to gun down my dudes I'm not terribly sympathetic to their pain, especially if they're losing a lung or their heart and about to die on the table regardless. And medkits are much better used to put the harvested organs in my colonists, anyways.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Is there a mod that makes it so I don't waste a medkit on giving prisoners anesthesia if I'm harvesting their organs?

Like, I get the principle of it, but if someone tries to gun down my dudes I'm not terribly sympathetic to their pain, especially if they're losing a lung or their heart and about to die on the table regardless. And medkits are much better used to put the harvested organs in my colonists, anyways.

Well, if this were SS13, I'd suggest fire extinguishers, but as just pointed out, nobody in the Rimworld universe seems to know what they are, so.. :v:

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Leif. posted:

Is legendary a lower level of quality than Masterwork?

Fairly sure Legendary is top tier, followed by masterwork, then excellent, then superior.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The medkits aren't for the prisoners. They're for the organs.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Lack of medicine is especially annoying if you have a guy with an infected limb and you can't operate to save them. Like, give me some booze and something hard to bite down, or even just a good old fashioned medieval mallet - I promise I won't complain too much if my life is the balance. (Seriously, there should be an option to do surgery without medicine at a high risk of death).

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Drunk in Space posted:

Lack of medicine is especially annoying if you have a guy with an infected limb and you can't operate to save them. Like, give me some booze and something hard to bite down, or even just a good old fashioned medieval mallet - I promise I won't complain too much if my life is the balance. (Seriously, there should be an option to do surgery without medicine at a high risk of death).

There is.

Grow medicine herbs.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Drunk in Space posted:

Malpractice suits are in the next patch, no doc would touch this.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Pound_Coin posted:

There is.

Grow medicine herbs.

Yeah, but I'm talking about a situation where, for whatever reason, you have no medicine period, even herbal stuff. It became an issue in a recent game of mine with the crash landing mod. You start off with a bunch of people badly injured from the crash, and many of them will inevitably develop infections. Unless you luck out and have a pod crash with a load of medical supplies, you have no way of treating them properly, as you won't be able to grow xerigium in time.

Also, herbal is still, what, 85% effective? If surgery without medicine became a thing, I'd expect it to be really low, like 20% or something.

Tommofork posted:

Malpractice suits are in the next patch, no doc would touch this.

Legal issues will be resolved in a thunderdome-style arena, though, so as long as your doctor has his melee skill levelled up :getin:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm running a cannibal colony with the "Prepare Carefully" and "Winter is Here" mods for that glorious Donner Party experience and god I am super chuffed. You have to respect a game that actually allows you options like this. All my non-cannibals are constantly spewing puke everywhere - which just makes them HUNGRIER FOR HUMAN FLESH :black101:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Drunk in Space posted:

Yeah, but I'm talking about a situation where, for whatever reason, you have no medicine period, even herbal stuff. It became an issue in a recent game of mine with the crash landing mod. You start off with a bunch of people badly injured from the crash, and many of them will inevitably develop infections. Unless you luck out and have a pod crash with a load of medical supplies, you have no way of treating them properly, as you won't be able to grow xerigium in time.

More an issue with the mod really, as if you have no meds in a proper colony something has gone terribly wrong but also hopefully not everyone will already be infected.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm running a cannibal colony with the "Prepare Carefully" and "Winter is Here" mods for that glorious Donner Party experience and god I am super chuffed. You have to respect a game that actually allows you options like this. All my non-cannibals are constantly spewing puke everywhere - which just makes them HUNGRIER FOR HUMAN FLESH :black101:

I keep a freezer full of corpses, just in case things go wrong. To quote Alpha Centauri, it is every colonist's final duty to go into the tanks and become one with all the people.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

March 4
Butcher table, sculptor’s table, and stonecutter’s table can now be made of various stuffs.
New game button is not shown on main menu until a world is created. Load game isn’t shown until there’s a game to load.
Trees are no longer sowable. Traders carry wood.
Added modal training to explain switch flicking designations.
Shortened work type labels in overview.
Lots of misc rebalancing and fixes.

fuuuuuuuuuuuck

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Inacio posted:

fuuuuuuuuuuuck

yeah but

Butcher table, sculptor’s table, and stonecutter’s table can now be made of various stuffs.
Trees are no longer sowable. Traders carry wood.

don't these pretty much cancel out? :confused:

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
The recent changelog entry that piqued my interest the most is that colonists will now automatically change clothes. I hope this means we could eventually have drafted pawns automatically putting on helmets and power suits, because doing that poo poo manually with a lot of troops is annoying as all gently caress at the moment.

Geokinesis posted:

More an issue with the mod really, as if you have no meds in a proper colony something has gone terribly wrong but also hopefully not everyone will already be infected.

I've actually stopped using it now. The concept behind it is brilliant and it certainly makes the beginning of the game much more tense and dramatic, but the modder really needs to work on balancing things so you're not completely hosed over by the RNG. A big problem right now is that the initial three colonists you start with can be killed outright on impact, giving you an immediate game over all of five seconds into it.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Drunk in Space posted:

The recent changelog entry that piqued my interest the most is that colonists will now automatically change clothes. I hope this means we could eventually have drafted pawns automatically putting on helmets and power suits, because doing that poo poo manually with a lot of troops is annoying as all gently caress at the moment.
I highly doubt it is anymore more than replace tattered X with non-tattered X.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Drunk in Space posted:

I've actually stopped using it now. The concept behind it is brilliant and it certainly makes the beginning of the game much more tense and dramatic, but the modder really needs to work on balancing things so you're not completely hosed over by the RNG. A big problem right now is that the initial three colonists you start with can be killed outright on impact, giving you an immediate game over all of five seconds into it.

I mean, a five-second immediate game over just means I restart and try again. It's actually less bad than one where you're kinda hosed but have to drag it out.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Fun fact: your guys get a bad thought if you just straight-up execute a prisoner, but if you release one and then draft one of your guys and have him shoot them to death, it gives everyone around them a happy thought.

Cybernetic Storm is a hilarious mod. One of my guys got his hand shot off, so I just had my doc hack off a prisoner's arm and graft it onto him with functioning hand attached. Eventually my colony's gonna be some horrible Frankenstein commune where my colonists are all made up of POW bits from the neck down.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 15, 2015

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

That high level mortar in the more turrets mod is ridiculously overpowered. It shoots a burst of 5 shells, is more accurate than a normal mortar, and doesn't actually use artillery shells at all so it just has unlimited ammo. I was killing off entire sieges in 1 or 2 shots, and then I'd fire it into a herd of muffalo to replenish meat stocks.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I don't know why people mod so much rubbish like that, the game already has god mode poo poo built into it anyway. It's really annoying when you're looking at an interesting mod, ok this is neat, that is fun - woops this is gay as hell why did you add this in :rant:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just don't use it?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yes duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

For reals, what a brilliant suggestion, I would never have thought of that thanks so much