Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I think I'm going to have to do a reread, for the nth time, of all the discworld books. If I don't, I'm going to keep putting it off and being sad. I might as well be sad and highly entertained instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

Lake Effect posted:

That's from Good Omens. Don't forget to re-read that too. :)

I won't. The Bromeliad, too. In fact, I think The Bromeliad was the first of his books that I read... :ohdear:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Megazver posted:

Frankly she's right.

Then again, there aren't many writers who could do it justice. Gaiman, perhaps.

If anyone could or would, it would be him. I never got around to reading And Another Thing..., but I'd like to think Colfer did Adams justice. Gaiman was close to Terry and I think he'd do his damnedest to make the best possible book he could if given the chance.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
When I was eleven, I read my first Terry Pratchett book. It was Sourcery. I don't remember why I picked it out; I was a pretty indiscriminate reader back then, so I probably just vacuumed it up along with another fantasy novel or two from the discount bookstore. I read through it in the next couple of days, which was typical at the time. I remember thinking that I had never read anything that managed to balance humor and emotional resonance so finely. (Although I didn't use those exact words when I was eleven.) And then I put it aside and went on to other authors. But that wasn't the end.

Much later, I nervously lent my copy of Sourcery, now coverless and with a much-creased spine, to a student at the school I had just transferred to. He liked it, and became my first friend there, and is now my oldest friend. I expect that might have happened anyway; who can tell? Regardless, that wasn't the end.

I remember, when I had a half-dozen Pratchett books in a stack on my bureau (because I didn't really have my own bookshelves, per se, and the Pratchett books had to live in my room), and I read the author bio at the end of one. (I generally used to skip those.) It said that he intended to keep writing until they nailed shut the coffin. I remember being satisfied at that; I'd seen too many series end too soon and too many stories go unfinished. This was a guy who would go the distance, I felt. And, indeed, that wasn't the end.

Once, I gave copies of his Witch series to my girlfriend. Maskerade, too. She's my wife now. I'm definitely not giving him credit for that one, but it probably bears mentioning. Every little bit helps, right? And that still wasn't the end.

Some years ago (more than I care to think about right now), my sister passed away unexpectedly. There were a lot of things that I leaned on to help me through that time, and certainly Pratchett books were among them. It helps sometimes to remember that Death, whether it's an impersonal force or an affable skeleton that likes cats, is ultimately something that just has a job to do and is not after you personally. That isn't really what I was thinking about when I wrote this, though. What I was thinking about was a few years later, when I read Nation, and I thought, yes. Yes, this is what it felt like. But even that wasn't the end.

Not too long ago, my mother-in-law started reading my Pratchett collection. The only real problem with that is that it's interrupted my plans to get my daughter to read them. But that's just temporary; I know I'll get them all back in time, and, after all, that wasn't the end.

Today I read that Terry Pratchett died peacefully in his home, surrounded by family, with a sleeping cat next to him, and I could not imagine a more appropriate way for him to go.* And no, this is not the end. But it's an end. His art will go down through the centuries, but the man himself will not, and we're all the poorer for it.

Good night, Sir Terry, and thank you.

* Apart from, of course, "later".

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

:( Rest in peace.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
:(

Wolfechu posted:

I think I'm going to have to do a reread, for the nth time, of all the discworld books. If I don't, I'm going to keep putting it off and being sad. I might as well be sad and highly entertained instead.

My plan as well.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

RIP

time to dig up my much abused copies of the older books and start a new.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Terry Pratchett was unquestionably my favorite author. The way he played with our minds, crafting an interesting and compelling world set up against the backdrop of British comedy and satire yet providing a deep and telling foil to our own, was unmatched, and some part of me doubts it ever will be. Vimes is my absolute favorite character of any fantasy series to this day.

Man, I...I can't handle this. Going to have to reread everything once more...for the sake of prisoners, and the flight of birds.

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!
I saw him speak at a convention in St Louis many MANY years ago before I really knew his work and was impressed by his storytelling and characterization. Since then, I've read every book and pre-order anything I see that has his name on it knowing that I am in for a treat.

Thank you, Sir Terry, for Rincewind, Mort, the Hogfather, Vimes, Vetinari, Susan, the Luggage, the Librarian (Ook), Moist, Nanny Ogg and all the other characters and friends you created over the years.

Time to go re-read.... something.. of the shelf.

drat. It's not fair. *sigh*

God speed.. and I hope you get to ride Binky

(Correction: it's Nanny Ogg. I know that. Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg. My brain is misty)

Lipumira fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 13, 2015

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
I AITNT DEAD

What's the thread title from? Can't remember.

I discovered Pratchett around a year and a half ago, after hearing him being mentioned countless times. I read through most of the main Discworld series in a year. Still have to try his non DW stuff too. I hope we at least get some good reeditions/reprintings from this :/. And that Watch series better be good.

What I really liked in his books was that they were genuinely funny, and didn't take themselves as serious as every other fantasy series. I mean, yeah LotR is good and important to the history of the genre as a whole, but god is it such a whole load of self masturbation. That's why I also like the Hobbit more, more lighthearted, more adventure-y.

Private Botch
Jun 16, 2010
Terry Pratchett you will be missed. You have brought many things to our lives including fun, laughter, saddness and hope.

I was lucky enough to see him when he stopped off in New Zealand promoting his new book at the time. I'm sad hes gone but I'm happy he is not suffering any more.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

He... he's just borrowing the minds of bees, right?

... Right?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Decided on Monstrous Regiment for my tribute read, got a long bus ride today.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I always knew that I would have to live out my days in a world without Sir Terry at some point. Every year when a new one of his books came out I would say to myself "But it won't start this year". Now it shall.

Thank you, Sir Terry, for being the man whose creations entertained and enlightened two generations of my family; and will do so for at least a generation more.

My love to Binky.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
God damnit. I still remember when my mother brought me a silly looking book with three hags on the cover for my birthday. Said it was "just like that hobbit book you like". I think I need to go re-read Wyrd Sisters and remember the time when that silly old book awakened my lifelong love for literature.

"Gods prefer simple, vicious games, where you Do Not Achieve Transcendence but Go Straight to Oblivion"

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
Terry had books for rent, Very Reasonable and I was glad for it.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

RIP, you were always one of my favorite authors :smith:.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Markovnikov posted:

What's the thread title from? Can't remember.
From Death's speech to Azrael, in Reaper Man:

quote:

LORD, WE KNOW THERE IS NO GOOD ORDER EXCEPT THAT WHICH WE CREATE...

THERE IS NO HOPE BUT US. THERE IS NO MERCY BUT US. THERE IS NO JUSTICE. THERE IS JUST US.

ALL THINGS THAT ARE, ARE OURS. BUT WE MUST CARE. FOR IF WE DO NOT CARE, WE DO NOT EXIST. IF WE DO NOT EXIST, THEN THERE IS NOTHING BUT BLIND OBLIVION.

AND EVEN OBLIVION MUST END SOME DAY. LORD, WILL YOU GRANT ME JUST A LITTLE TIME? FOR THE PROPER BALANCE OF THINGS. TO RETURN WHAT WAS GIVEN. FOR THE SAKE OF PRISONERS AND THE FLIGHT OF BIRDS.

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oooook.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Codiekitty posted:

He... he's just borrowing the minds of bees, right?

... Right?

NOT DEAD

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Shamelessly stolen from Tumblr:

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Those last tweets. Unfortunately I read them while at work and was glad no one was near to see how much they upset me. Last time I felt like this was when Douglas Adams died. I feel like the world lost out for lack of them.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Kurtofan posted:

I wouldn't mind if she wrote a few Discworld novels, it won't be the same but it would made me feel :unsmith: a bit.

She's writing a feature film adaption of Wee Free Men, too. :)

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Terry got me through some pretty terrible times, sad to see him go. RIP Terry. Those last tweets really got me.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Well time to reread Small Gods and cry like a stupid baby because holy poo poo that ending makes me choke up just thinking about it even though I haven't read it in years.

And then reread the witches and wizards and the night watch and also see if my friends with school age kids want to borrow some books because I think they would like them.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Pidmon posted:

Shamelessly stolen from Tumblr:

GNU Terry Pratchett

GNU
Sir Terence David John Pratchett
1948 - 2015
A man is not dead while his name is still spoken.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Er. What does GNU stand for?

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!
Clacks protocol:

The G means, that the message should be passed on, the N means "Not Logged" and the U that it should be turned around at the end of the line. So as the name keeps going up and down the line, this tradition applies a kind of immortality as "a man is not dead while his name is still spoken".

(I had to look it up because it was pinging my brain but not coming to the forefront. Copy mostly from a Discworld wiki)

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Jedit posted:

When Pterry realised he would not be able to attend the 2014 Discworld Convention due to his failing health, he compiled a small book as a gift for the attendees. The book contains a dedication, a poem, two small fragments, an essay about Pterry by his PA Rob Milkins, and the essay I typed here.

You will not find one of these books for sale anywhere, or you should not, because all Pterry asked for in return for the gift was that we not sell them. Each book is individually numbered and there is a master list of who each one belongs to, so if one of them turns up on eBay we will know whose it is. However, I feel that what Pterry wrote deserves to be shared with more than the few hundred of us who were there.

Thank you so much for sharing this.

Terry's books were/are a huge part of my life. I don't know what more to say because I know you all understand. Think I was about 8 when I first read The Light Fantastic (yup, started the series out of order). It's a great regret of my life that I never got to meet Terry himself. RIP.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I am more upset by this than I feel entirely comfortable admitting to.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 13, 2015

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Er. I'm now reading an obituary in a Spanish newspaper (:rolleyes:), and I've just discovered that apparently Dibbler is translated Escurridizo, meaning "tricky, slippery"... So, I have to wonder, I'm not a native English speaker and Dibbler doesn't mean anything to me - in fact, dictionary.com doesn't produce anything very relevant... But does his name mean or imply something? In the meantime, Rincewind is unchanged.

Also there's a quotation that I don't understand. Something like "Banking is a very old game that means 'To see where [something]'". Any ideas? Or maybe I should ask in the Spanish thread.

supermikhail fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 13, 2015

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
I can't help but feel reminded by the little Buddhist snippet in Thief of Time:

quote:

Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.'

Terry Pratchett was referring to the principle of impermanence, a key notion of Buddhist thought. If you only focus on the present and not the past then it's clear you must practice compassion, kindness and generosity towards others, leave judgment to karma and above all, be happy. It's certainly a lump in my throat but Terry would ultimately want people to be joyful than to be sad. I'm very grateful I got this reminder instead of feeling completely miserable.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

supermikhail posted:

Er. I'm now reading an obituary in a Spanish newspaper (:rolleyes:), and I've just discovered that apparently Dibbler is translated Escurridizo, meaning "tricky, slippery"... So, I have to wonder, I'm not a native English speaker and Dibbler doesn't mean anything to me - in fact, dictionary.com doesn't produce anything very relevant... But does his name mean or imply something? In the meantime, Rincewind is unchanged.

Also there's a quotation that I don't understand. Something like "Banking is a very old game that means 'To see where [something]'". Any ideas? Or maybe I should ask in the Spanish thread.
Dibble, to dibble:

A pointed gardening implement used to make holes in soil, especially for planting bulbs or seedlings.
tr.v. dib·bled, dib·bling, dib·bles

1. To make holes in (soil) with a pointed implement.
2. To plant by means of a pointed implement.

That's why he's called Planteur (Planter) in the French translation.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

supermikhail posted:

Er. I'm now reading an obituary in a Spanish newspaper (:rolleyes:), and I've just discovered that apparently Dibbler is translated Escurridizo, meaning "tricky, slippery"... So, I have to wonder, I'm not a native English speaker and Dibbler doesn't mean anything to me - in fact, dictionary.com doesn't produce anything very relevant... But does his name mean or imply something?

It doesn't mean anything per se, but for me it's always been brilliantly evocative of that sort of small-time ducker and diver. (It's vaguely reminiscent of the word "dabble", which he does all the time.) I don't think it means anything or is a reference to anything, but it's exactly what someone like that should be called, if that makes sense. (In the same way that the Spanish waiter in Fawlty Towers could have had no other name but Manuel.)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

supermikhail posted:

Translating Discworld must be a fun job. I bought a couple of books in Spanish and had to re-buy them in English because they lost quite a lot.

supermikhail posted:

Do you mean the quote is in Spanish? It doesn't sound like a saying or adage that I know of. Could you give me the original?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Translating Discworld must be a fun job.
Right until you hit a very specifically British cultural reference or a pun that is as integral to the scene as it simply doesn't work in your language. I think translators must drink a lot.

Of course as I'm fond of saying you can just be Brandhorst and not give a poo poo, or realize.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

At least they got to say goodbye :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5DJveHYslk

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

My Lovely Horse posted:

Right until you hit a very specifically British cultural reference or a pun that is as integral to the scene as it simply doesn't work in your language. I think translators must drink a lot.

I'm sure the first German translator did. Those translations are by repute pretty dire.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The French translations by Patrick Couton are pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Sad news :(

Small Gods got me to break out of reading nothing but trash Star Wars EU books when I was like 13.