Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I didn't enjoy the gameplay in Braid and didn't feel like it really had anything interesting to say, but if you were invested in games being taken seriously in 2008, I'd imagine it was a pretty big deal. Like I imagine it was crazy important to people who make low budget games, I'm just not that guy and don't understand the appeal to anyone else who isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I liked the puzzles in Braid a lot.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Braid was boring as poo poo and full of dumb writing that screamed "I want to be a big deal in Portland."

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I went back to Hotline Miami 1 and realized that I hadn't gotten all A+s yet, as well as the puzzle pieces since I hadn't touched it since the major update, so I figured, eh, what the hell.

Went through Assault as Tony loving around after finding the piece in the back on the first floor and proceeded to get an A- off of what I thought was basically nothing.

I also managed to get to loving 19x combo in a level on (I think) a Solider level in 2 and was a bit upset that I lost it before I could hit the last guy.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Man if you don't like windows and dudes with guns you're going to HATE hard mode. They pull some real bullshit in the latter half of the game. Dudes that can only be killed with melee paired up with dudes that can only be killed with guns. Bits where you enter the level and will get shot to death in less than a second unless you take cover off the map.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Is it just me or is the Hard version of Final Cut basically unchanged? I thought the enemy hiding under the plant was new but I think that was just a wanderer who ended up in a good spot by luck.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

What enemies straight up can't be killed with guns? I had the inmates dodge my shots a couple times, but it seemed like they'd still eat slugs about half of the time. I'd guess the goons with swords (I think?) are supposed to, but I don't remember whether I ever tried to shoot any.

I kinda like one thing about hard: gun enemies are easier to bait because they see you more quickly.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Pharmaskittle posted:

What enemies straight up can't be killed with guns? I had the inmates dodge my shots a couple times, but it seemed like they'd still eat slugs about half of the time. I'd guess the goons with swords (I think?) are supposed to, but I don't remember whether I ever tried to shoot any.

The ninja just do a brief ducking animation before resuming their charge to slice your head off when you shoot at them, yeah.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The beefy prisoners also did the ducking thing which makes no sense, but they're bugged so I can kill them through walls with melee so it's like fair's fair chuckleheads.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The Richter levels are so good. I love the second one, where at the very start you have to flawlessly disarm and steal a gun to kill the heavy. I died like thirty times but felt like King poo poo afterwards.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I feel like the Richter levels are basically proof that, in canon, Richter is #1 best at killing of all the characters in either game.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Trick Question posted:

I'm pretty sure nobody actually enjoyed braid. A lot of people sure loved talking about it, though.

I consider Braid one of the best games I've ever played, your mileage may vary I guess? v:kiddo:v

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Something interesting (trigger warning: Reddit)

Also Reddit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQKi7Q-6N7o

I think I've wrote more words in this thread then on the rest of SA combined.

TheJoker138 posted:

The ending of this game is also very much a "the only way to win is not to play" situation. The entire thing is, as someone else put it, "live by the sword, die by the sword" in video game form. It's not just a critique of video game violence, but of violence in general. That's one of the reasons that idiot on twitter saying it getting positive reviews is furthering violence obsessed culture is, well, an idiot.

Every character in Hotline Miami 2 gets a happy ending by starting a newgame+ then quitting before they ask any questons. :v:

Geight posted:

Yeah whichever character you pick hears noises, I assume if you're playing Tony it's just someone else who tells you that it's empty, There's nothing mysterious about that part.

Mark's scene with Richard and the pre-Deathwish conversation are included to make you think he's going to fall to his death while everyone else safely escapes by jumping to the next roof. I just interpret it as being a red herring that's mostly meant to confuse you as to the identity of the body under the tarp when the Detective walks back onto the street after executing Tony.

Yeah, if you're Tony it's Mark instead.

I really expected the Fans plot to continue on from how in Into the Pit the gangsters are dissolving corpses in acid and pouring them into the sewer but nope, nothing.

Rexicon1 posted:

The whole "there are no choices in video games! You are a slave!" Trope needs to loving die in a real bad way. Oh wow, life is meaningless and pointless. Deep loving thoughts there.

I think what Hotline Miami 2 is more going for is things don't always turn out how you expect. Enjoy the good times while they last and don't get obsessed with crazed vigilantes.

The message, I think, is itself presented in a fairly smart way. However it comes at the cost of the story so it's a wash in my mind.

The Fans apparently were in Hawaii as soldiers, which explains part of why they're so ambivalent after their first murder fest and skilled with weapons.

Discendo Vox posted:

Disappointing, Abyss seems identical on Hard mode.

That would certainly explain why it's credited as breathing life into the indie game industry, and why a generation of designers have been copying it.

You can't select The Abyss on hard mode.

Pharmaskittle posted:

I kinda like one thing about hard: gun enemies are easier to bait because they see you more quickly.

Chainsaw gangsters, Colombian ninjas and crazed inmates. Crazed inmates are special though because if you knock them down without killing them (ie punch them) they revert to normal prisoner AI so they no longer dodge bullets or attack without weapons.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 13, 2015

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Pharmaskittle posted:

I didn't enjoy the gameplay in Braid and didn't feel like it really had anything interesting to say, but if you were invested in games being taken seriously in 2008, I'd imagine it was a pretty big deal. Like I imagine it was crazy important to people who make low budget games, I'm just not that guy and don't understand the appeal to anyone else who isn't.

It was pretty much unlike anything that came out in 2008 (that being in the full swing of the brown-grey shooter onslaught). It was a cheap and charming game that at least made you think, so it stood out. The big problem was that many of the puzzles were too obtuse, and hiding any interesting part of the narrative behind finishing said puzzles killed the pacing of what it wanted to say. There are some deeper critiques you can make of the game, but they lost a lot of people by locking people away from the more interesting parts of it.

Anyhow, loaded up HLM 1 as a palette cleanser, and it's amazing how freeing it was to not have to constantly lure people around corners. I got through the game with A rankings (after not playing it for a year or two), and dying maybe about 10 times total. Granted, I used Peter for easy mode shenanigans, but it's still obviously got much better map design.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Mar 13, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Anatharon posted:

Something interesting (trigger warning: Reddit)

The Fans apparently were in Hawaii as soldiers, which explains part of why they're so ambivalent after their first murder fest and skilled with weapons.

While it's an appealing idea, and one of them looks like Mark, none of the others resemble the other Fans. If anything, it's more likely they're other 50 Blessings members as per the Abyss.

Anatharon posted:

You can't select The Abyss on hard mode.

I've seen videos online- you may have to unlock it separately.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I only have Abyss unlocked on Hard Mode. I'm a Hotline Hipster.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Tony aside I figured the Fans were just kids who picked up guns because they were bored.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think a lot of people are forgetting that Hotline Miami 1 was also a murderous puzzle game, but it was a lot easier to brute force than this one in some spots.

Also, EVERY hotline miami 2 playable character is in Hawaii, except Ritcher. The guy who takes Jacket and Soldier's picture is the journalist from later, and the guy with him looks like the detective.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
HotlineMiami2.gif

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

While it's an appealing idea, and one of them looks like Mark, none of the others resemble the other Fans. If anything, it's more likely they're other 50 Blessings members as per the Abyss.

I've seen videos online- you may have to unlock it separately.

There's a big guy with brown hair, a woman with long black hair, a bald guy, and a blonde woman standing aside another bald guy.

It doesn't make sense with their story but it's kinda big to be a coincidence.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Mar 13, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Larry Parrish posted:

Also, EVERY hotline miami 2 playable character is in Hawaii, except Ritcher. The guy who takes Jacket and Soldier's picture is the journalist from later, and the guy with him looks like the detective.

No. The devs reuse face assets. This caused a lot of confusion in HM1, too, when folks noticed that Richter and Beard shared the same template.

Anatharon posted:

There's a big guy with brown hair, a woman with long black hair, a bald guy, and a blonde woman standing aside another bald guy.

And the black guy in the corner that's cut out of that screenshot? Look, the idea occurred to me, too, but it's not correct.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

No. The devs reuse face assets. This caused a lot of confusion in HM1, too, when folks noticed that Richter and Beard shared the same template.

It's kinda funny how every woman in HM2 looks like the same person wearing a different wig.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

I think a lot of people are forgetting that Hotline Miami 1 was also a murderous puzzle game, but it was a lot easier to brute force than this one in some spots.
I think other people have touched on this already, saying that HL1 was a challenging game, whereas HL2 is hard due to bad design. A lot of levels where the map is too big to see everything and plan ahead, or there's a million windows and the only way to proceed is by baiting out enemies, one by one. There's also a lot of floors where there are multiple sections where there's a lot of waiting or potential for randomness, and you can get stuck repeating the same sections over and over. The floors and levels seem to be much longer than they were in the original. I think my favourite "puzzle" floor so far is the Richter level where you have to steal a shotgun to kill a heavy at the very start. It's not hard to figure out but it requires some thought, there's a definite solution which will work consistently, the floor will only take a handful of seconds if done right, and (except for the darkness) you can mostly see the whole stage.

I'm not critical of all the different characters and I mostly think they're cool, but I think a lot of people liked the flexibility of using different masks in HL1 that could make a level easier, or made replaying levels more fun by trying to tackle them in a different way. Maybe they should let you replay a level with any character.

Sykic posted:

HotlineMiami2.gif

I do hope there's some kind of bugfix for the kind of problems that happen in doorways.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The whole "you are just committing these awful acts because a voice tells you to" isn't about the nature of games, its about the player. You bought and are choosing to play these games and doing hella atrocities because its cool and fun and that's what the game is about, maybe thats kind of hosed up? Furthermore:

I just did the prison break level which was really cool except for the dumb muscle man at the start.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Pwnstar posted:

The whole "you are just committing these awful acts because a voice tells you to" isn't about the nature of games, its about the player. You bought and are choosing to play these games and doing hella atrocities because its cool and fun and that's what the game is about, maybe thats kind of hosed up?

It's a cartoon video game, so no, it's not.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Regarding the ending I suppose it provides closure but I feel like it's a hamfisted way of doing so. In the name of ART. It would have been at least neat to play the coup d'état instead of SUDDENLY NUKES. I get the whole reasoning behind it but it still rubs me the wrong way. Also who's the guy in the desert that Biker is soo afraid of?! It would be pretty poo poo for the devs to leave something like that hanging and never resolve it.

Also in the prologue before the first fan's level, has anyone noticed the glowing green manhole crossed out? What's up with that? It only appears then and there.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm sure two guys who make video games have a lot of really important things to say about the world and we should listen to them.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Just finished the game it was really fun however I couldnt go buck wild like the first, saying that though I really enjoyed playing and will be trying hardmode

Ending level spoilers

I love how the mob boss goes on an acid trip proceeds to decimate "most" of the fans then jumps off the top floor of the high rise. It links up with the detective scene where he shoots the tiger mask guy, as you can see covers over a fallen body.

Ah the soldiers Flamethrower is even better than the sniper rifle by the way guys

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Braid was a great puzzle game the gently caress are you guys talking about

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Shine posted:

It's a cartoon video game, so no, it's not.

Agreed actually. I think its an "interesting" idea but it doesn't really mean anything.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Kinda hoped they would have improved the gamplay since the first game.

The goofy AI, getting stuck on world geometry, doorways presenting 10000x bugs and so forth.

They did manage a soundtrack that is as good as the first one.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

TopHatGenius posted:

Regarding the ending I suppose it provides closure but I feel like it's a hamfisted way of doing so. In the name of ART. It would have been at least neat to play the coup d'état instead of SUDDENLY NUKES. I get the whole reasoning behind it but it still rubs me the wrong way. Also who's the guy in the desert that Biker is soo afraid of?!

I'd say that's almost certainly the nightmare/murder spirit/death incarnate/horseman of the apocalypse in the Richard mask.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I imagine people won't agree with me but I really dug the weird supernatural stuff going on with Richard, with him being some sort of manifestation of violence who heralds the apocalypse.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

asterioth posted:

Anyone know which song plays over the ending?

First it's M.O.O.N's - "Dust"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsnLnXTQet8

Then, it is
"You are the Blood" by The Castanets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDjzLH8FYR4
What a good choice for this game! There's also a Sufjan Stevens cover https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma-l-2izB_s that has become far more popular on the internet.

Erata fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 13, 2015

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Does the soundtrack come with the standard version of the game like it did in the first one, ie. mp3s/flac in a folder? There's a soundtrack listed on Steam that states it is DLC for the game and won't work without it, its confusing me. I'm not particularly fussed about the game itself, i just want dem tunes. Am I gonna have to buy the game and then pay out again on top of that just to get it?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The soundtrack is not int the folder for the base game. Not sure if you can buy it without the game.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I'm not sure what it says that the very first level I managed to A+ is The Abyss on normal, but I wasn't able to make score par on either of the two Richter levels I've played so far. The second floor of that warehouse felt like real bullshit that had to either be done in a very specific way, or just throw masses of bullets at the situation until it's resolved.

Also thanks to whoever in this thread mentioned in the power plant level to take the sniper rifle and just hug the ammo box where possible to kill all the mans.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Does the soundtrack come with the standard version of the game like it did in the first one, ie. mp3s/flac in a folder? There's a soundtrack listed on Steam that states it is DLC for the game and won't work without it, its confusing me. I'm not particularly fussed about the game itself, i just want dem tunes. Am I gonna have to buy the game and then pay out again on top of that just to get it?

It's there, you just have to extract the .wad. Someone in the thread made a program that does just that.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Even though the Special Digital Edition said that it didn't include the full soundtrack, it appears to contain every single track listed on the store page's DLC Soundtrack in the game folder. :shrug: The Castanets song isn't in either package though. Still, you should consider giving them some extra money because the soundtrack is something else!

edit: Took a peek at Steam achievement stats and only 54% of all game owners have unlocked all the fans. Yikes. I hope that's not people giving up on the game. 24% "did as the director said", that is to say, successfully completed what amounted to the game's tutorial.
edit2: Oh.

Erata fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

TopHatGenius posted:

Regarding the ending I suppose it provides closure but I feel like it's a hamfisted way of doing so. In the name of ART. It would have been at least neat to play the coup d'état instead of SUDDENLY NUKES. I get the whole reasoning behind it but it still rubs me the wrong way. Also who's the guy in the desert that Biker is soo afraid of?! It would be pretty poo poo for the devs to leave something like that hanging and never resolve it.

Also in the prologue before the first fan's level, has anyone noticed the glowing green manhole crossed out? What's up with that? It only appears then and there.

This is the guy he met:

• Locked thread