Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

The Blacklist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No, that was Season 2, and while the whole premise was pretty ridiculous the white samurai dude was a pretty awesome character.

And then he just died pointlessly so they could set up some new villain or something? God Heroes was good for a little bit and then immediately became one of the biggest trainwrecks in TV history.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah it was awful, but it at least got Robert Forster on the show so there was some redeeming qualities to it.

I'm actually holding out slight hope for the new mini series since the first season was so good and I'd they keep the original idea of each season being new characters it could be interesting.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

BonoMan posted:

I think Deadwood is probably the best TV show ever and the only reason I didn't list it as perfect is because it wasn't given a proper ending.

Goddamn you HBO.

Goddamn you.

It's worthy to note that HBO didn't "cancel" the show as much as David Milch, the show creator/runner, just up and decided to quit in order to work on John From Cincinnati, which everyone agrees was poo poo.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

savinhill posted:

I agree that Deadwood is about as perfect as a TV show can get.

Ditto. Angry Seth Bullock is the best.

The Shield is drat near perfect if you can get past the act at the end of the first episode and some of the "getting deeper into trouble trying to get out of the last trouble" plot lines.
-Superb acting and incredible guest cast lineup (Glen Close, Forrest Whitaker).
-the most heart wrenching sandwich delivery
-the most chilling confession in the last season
-the saddest family meeting
-one of the most satisfying closing shot of a series finale ever

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The only thing I don't like about The Shield is the prevalence of buttrock, but the show is so great that I don't care. And the 'getting into more trouble while trying to get out of it' stuff is pretty much the point of the show and I dunno how you can hate that.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

flashy_mcflash posted:

The only thing I don't like about The Shield is the prevalence of buttrock, but the show is so great that I don't care. And the 'getting into more trouble while trying to get out of it' stuff is pretty much the point of the show and I dunno how you can hate that.

No hate, but some of it was a bit predictable. Actually call it a "Vic Mackey" when I see it in other shows.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

tomapot posted:

No hate, but some of it was a bit predictable. Actually call it a "Vic Mackey" when I see it in other shows.

I can dig that. I do think that there's effort expended in making their fuckups unpredictable though, especially with Shane around (how many times over the course of the series do you think 'he cannot possibly be that stupid'?) And even more so when Marla comes in and they form a black hole of bad decisions and :catdrugs:.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

VendaGoat posted:

I agree with you.

Now someone name a perfect show.

Key West :colbert:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
The Wire.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Breaking Bad.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Neither the Wire nor Breaking Bad are perfect. The Wire has that godawful newsroom storyline in the fifth season, Breaking Bad has the stupid loving Cousins, meanders too much in the fourth season, and the ending was vaguely unsatisfying in a way I could never explain.

I think it's impossible to have a perfect TV series, in the traditional sense of the medium, because you can't tell a perfect story if you begin without a clear ending. If you're going to find a perfect TV series it would have to be a miniseries of a single season. Something like True Detective or Top of the Lake (although neither are anywhere near as good as BB and the Wire), where the creator has mapped out what's going to happen from beginning to end, and has a cohesive vision of theme and style.

Although having said that, The Wire did extremely well with the limitations of being extended season upon season, and its flaws derive from other, smaller things - like Simon's vendetta against his old newsroom colleagues, but also some of the more telegraphed stuff. I always hated that overly symbolic chess game early in the series.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I've been binge watching Heroes for the first time for the past month or so. I just started season 4 and I still like it. :shrug:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Rome :colbert:

The worst thing you can say about it is that it was only two seasons long.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I've been binge watching Heroes for the first time for the past month or so. I just started season 4 and I still like it. :shrug:

What the gently caress

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

freebooter posted:

Breaking Bad... the ending was vaguely unsatisfying in a way I could never explain.

Youre a psychopath

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

It's like -27 degrees in Fairbanks. Would zombies in winter just freeze up?

For spin offs, I'd be interested in what's going on in other countries/environments.

cjg fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 13, 2015

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

cjg posted:

Yes and no, depending on who is writing.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Austrian mook posted:

Youre a psychopath

I kind of agree. I mean, it's not a BAD ending at all (and it certainly doesn't ruin the series). I just think it was sort of the obvious ending from the get-go and after all of the growing and twists and turns throughout the series, we end on what exactly what we knew would happen. Doesn't make it bad. And I honestly wouldn't change it... but it does remove a lot of the catharsis that I think some of us were hoping to feel.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

BonoMan posted:

I kind of agree. I mean, it's not a BAD ending at all (and it certainly doesn't ruin the series). I just think it was sort of the obvious ending from the get-go and after all of the growing and twists and turns throughout the series, we end on what exactly what we knew would happen. Doesn't make it bad. And I honestly wouldn't change it... but it does remove a lot of the catharsis that I think some of us were hoping to feel.

What part of it was obvious? Sure you could see some of it coming but i think it hit a nice balance of not feeling like a cop out while still giving walt his comeuppance and being a little unpredictable

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

cjg posted:

For spin offs, I'd be interested in what's going on in other countries/environments.

That was world war z the novel, zombies would freeze in the winter and return to normal after they thawed in the spring.

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Am I still in the Walking Dead thread?

Episode 2 is my favorite Star Tours. /discuss

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Fringe.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
A good zombie show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHZxW3gsDeA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uAJklDka_U

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

xxEightxx posted:

That was world war z the novel, zombies would freeze in the winter and return to normal after they thawed in the spring.

Which is another reason why zombies as depicted in stuff like the walking dead are actually hilariously weak and would probably never take over the world barring special circumstances.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

MeLKoR posted:

Rome :colbert:

The worst thing you can say about it is that it was only two seasons long.

Rome's second season felt like a mad rush to hit a bunch of points, though. The last three episodes feel like they should have been a season all their own.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The place Emily Kinney is playing in Louisville is a barcade. drat that's tempting.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Only if she's giving out handies while I play house of the dead.

someusername
Jan 26, 2015
Three's Company was perfect and you can suck my dick if you think otherwise.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Harton posted:

Only if she's giving out handies while I play house of the dead.

I no poo poo saw this in a lovely barcade with a dude playing Street Fighter years ago. Was pretty what the gently caress.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Try to explain in linear order what the gently caress happened in season 3. I dare you.

I tried re-watching some earlier episodes for kicks once and there were literally 2 plot holes a minute and nothing setup had to do with anything. Anything.

Austrian mook posted:

God Heroes was good for a little bit and then immediately became one of the biggest trainwrecks in TV history.

It really was. To me it's the pinnacle of how to write bad TV and also wreck a growing franchise; for whatever reason it was so bad I find it kind of fascinating. I feel like it should be taught in every writing class, to see what not to do. Full of plot holes and the most inconsistently written characters ever, it just dropped a shocking amount in quality. Nothing, for me, has come close (AHS Season 3 tried, it really really tried).

I think my favorite moment that sums up how hosed up their writing staff was: They gave a huge interview when Sylar got shapeshifting powers going "Oh, we set all these rules! He can't change clothing or mass! We totally want this to be interesting and not overpowered!" In the next three episodes, he changes - complete with a new backpack - into a kid, breaking every single rule they set less than three episodes back.

ED: Actually one other amusing thing you'll notice if you look at the whole thing from a behind the scenes perspective, is that their relied heavily on a "dangle keys in front of a baby" story telling technique, just eliminating plots and shaking something new and flashy to try to distract you. One of the biggest plot holes starts when Nathan is shot early in the season, then healed by a mysteriously revived Linderman (who was dead). Then they want to drop that and do the BIG TWIST later once the injury wasn't a big deal and reveal Linderman was just an illusion... and thus couldn't have healed poo poo, but no, the big twist is the new thing to focus on now!

Walking Dead might be slow sometimes, it might have pretty dumb characters quite often, but it's never done poo poo like that. I'd go on about all the other hilariously bad aspects but you could write a book with them. Walking Dead looks like a masterpiece compared to what happened with Heroes.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 14, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Blazing Ownager posted:

I no poo poo saw this in a lovely barcade with a dude playing Street Fighter years ago. Was pretty what the gently caress.

Well was the girl cute or what, this is important

e: wait was it actually Emily Kinney? Cause that would be pretty :wtf:

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah it's only awful if the girl is ugly or gross fat. Otherwise it's a pretty good turn of luck. You can even push the envelope and try to get in on some 2 player action.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Blazing Ownager posted:

Try to explain in linear order what the gently caress happened in season 3. I dare you.

I tried re-watching some earlier episodes for kicks once and there were literally 2 plot holes a minute and nothing setup had to do with anything. Anything.

It really was. To me it's the pinnacle of how to write bad TV and also wreck a growing franchise; for whatever reason it was so bad I find it kind of fascinating. I feel like it should be taught in every writing class, to see what not to do. Full of plot holes and the most inconsistently written characters ever, it just dropped a shocking amount in quality. Nothing, for me, has come close (AHS Season 3 tried, it really really tried).

I think my favorite moment that sums up how hosed up their writing staff was: They gave a huge interview when Sylar got shapeshifting powers going "Oh, we set all these rules! He can't change clothing or mass! We totally want this to be interesting and not overpowered!" In the next three episodes, he changes - complete with a new backpack - into a kid, breaking every single rule they set less than three episodes back.

ED: Actually one other amusing thing you'll notice if you look at the whole thing from a behind the scenes perspective, is that their relied heavily on a "dangle keys in front of a baby" story telling technique, just eliminating plots and shaking something new and flashy to try to distract you. One of the biggest plot holes starts when Nathan is shot early in the season, then healed by a mysteriously revived Linderman (who was dead). Then they want to drop that and do the BIG TWIST later once the injury wasn't a big deal and reveal Linderman was just an illusion... and thus couldn't have healed poo poo, but no, the big twist is the new thing to focus on now!

Walking Dead might be slow sometimes, it might have pretty dumb characters quite often, but it's never done poo poo like that. I'd go on about all the other hilariously bad aspects but you could write a book with them. Walking Dead looks like a masterpiece compared to what happened with Heroes.

What the gently caress is AHS?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Blazing Ownager posted:

intresitng

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

boom boom boom posted:

american horror story, relax.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

boom boom boom posted:

A Homo Sexual

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seriously though it will help us regular people who don't have all the abbreviations for TV shows worked out to just type the name of the show.

theloosecannon
Sep 13, 2003
Six Feet Under was perfect. Beautifully, depressingly, ugly-cry perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I really liked the first couple episodes of Weeds, then immediately it was garbage. Faster than Heroes, I'd say.

• Locked thread