Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Lego Batman 2 everytime you fly in free roam as superman you gt the john Williams theme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

haveblue posted:

One of the first things I saw in Demon's Souls was what was obviously a drop into a bottomless pit with a message in front of it reading "TREASURE AHEAD".

You forgot to mention the 500 blood drops which show you people jumping down said pit. :v:

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

bunnyofdoom posted:

Lego Batman 2 everytime you fly in free roam as superman you gt the john Williams theme

Leave the selector over one of the main characters (and some of the non main ones) in the char select screen for a little while.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Lego Batman 3 does this for Wonder Woman too. Its amazing.

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
Holy poo poo Onimusha 2. The gifting system was boss and totally kept me playing over and over.

I remember being really impressed when it came out after I read that the protagonist, Jubei, was modeled after a very famous Japanese actor who had just died. I remember just thinking how amazing technology was that they could take a dead man and put him in a game and he looked GOOD. (My most :gay: protagonist besides Ezio Auditore).

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't know why, but I've never been able to get into the well.

I tried so many times to get into the well, considering all the other hidden stuff in that game. When I finally did manage the jump (you need to hit the angle pretty perfectly) and died I just couldn't be mad at you, Dark Souls :3:

Yakuza 4 is little things: the game for sure though. I was looking forward to playing darts, found a place that was called "Dart World" or whatever but it was just a background shop that you can't enter. Later I stumble into a bar looking for a drink (another little thing: when you order a drink it tells you a bit about the real world brand that you're drinking) and found the darts board! They're electronic and awesome.

Shame it couldn't have multiplayer just for those games. My wife would totally play the golf, ten pin bowling or darts games with me if she had the chance.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Daktar posted:

I started playing again with the new expansions, and I got one of the most interesting characters I've had in a long while. I was a duke, and she my first daughter, poised to inherit the ducal throne. However, when she was born, the game told me that she made weird growling noises and caused other babies to cry. She was declared a suspected witch and the spawn of Satan. Good start, no?

When she turned six and was ready to be educated, a beautiful, genius, incredibly skilled nanny (also a suspected witch) turned up to look after her. Shortly before she turned 16, this nanny confessed her love for her and killed herself by throwing herself off a cliff at a family picnic. When she actually turned 16, she turned out to be a lesbian.

By this time, he'd been supplanted by a male heir. When the old Duke died, he became the new one, and also my player character. That didn't last long, though. Big sister was his regent and also his heir. An accident cleaning the roofs saw him dead and me playing a shiny new satanic duchess. The first time she went to war, a 3000 strong army showed up, led by three female generals, each of whom were, like the nanny, geniuses, beautiful, very skilled and suspected witches. They claimed that they'd heard the call of their master directing them to the 'Chosen One'. I won that war.

Throughout her life, the Duchess won countless more wars. Her son and heir, by way of some very clever marriages, became the king of Central Francia. And she took a string of peasant women as lovers during her many hunting trips. Also her sister. Gross

She died around 80, having built an incredibly powerful duchy that my new king inherited.

This event can get pretty bizarre depending on what happens to your character during their lifetime. I had a Spawn of Satan Persian Emperor fighting on the front lines against a Crusade for Jerusalem (fitting, really) and in the first battle got maimed. The insane stat bonuses your character gets from being the antichrist, however, still made him absolutely the best general available and he proceeded to stomp up and down the Levant throwing the Crusaders back into the sea. Likely beating them to death with his own severed arm. Some months later as Europe was running out of able-bodied men to throw into the meat grinder, I get an event notification that I'm no longer maimed because my amputated arm grew back. Whole thing. Just grew back.

I've got over 300 hours clocked in the game according to Steam and that's the only inarguably supernatural thing I've had happen to me.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
In CK2, if you have the Insane trait and are in the Scandinavian culture group, you can summon Cthulhu.

And kill It. :getin:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

1stGear posted:

In CK2, if you have the Insane trait and are in the Scandinavian culture group, you can summon Cthulhu.

And kill It. :getin:
Goddamn, that makes me feel bad about killing off Syphilitic Cousin Neckbeard. Though kind of not because it's a great story.

Syphilitic Cousin Neckbeard was a problem. He was my son, and he was a bad son. Low stats, horrible traits, and, as I didn't realise at first, syphilis. Which also turned out to be the reason that my manly Viking King had not sired any more sons. His wife hated him. Due to the syphilis.

So a few years later, Syphilitic Cousin Neckbeard came of age, and immediately went from a tender child to a horrifying bald monster with a giant pubey ginger beard. A few years after that, following continued misadventures during which he proved himself utterly loathsome and incompetent in every way, gaining a -50 reputation with his own dad, he went insane due to syphilis. His stats plummeted even further, he gained more horrible traits, and he completely ruined a Blot by jumping on the table, stripping off his clothes and running around naked and screaming that he was on fire. It is rare that I exclaim anything in real life as a result of a video game because I do not have high-functioning autism, but my girlfriend will attest to my occasional explosion of rage along the lines of "JESUS CHRIST NOW HE'S BALD" or "SYPHILITIC COUSIN NECKBEARD JUST BECAME A HERETIC FOR gently caress'S SAKE".

Something had to be done.

First, of course, I murdered my wife, and my good King immediately picked up some innocent lass and impregnated her before she realised he was diseased. Their second son somehow came out without syphilis, and I immediately began his training under the finest, least insane tutors Sweden had to offer. I kept trying to have Syphilitic Cousin Neckbeard killed horribly at war, but this had the unfortunate side-effect of turning him into a drooling, retarded, repulsive untouchable military genius who at one point tried to start a rebellion against me. Thankfully, it failed, presumably because nobody wanted to be in the same room as him, thus sparing me the indignity of being murdered by my bald retarded son.

But it gave me just what I needed.

Again I called a Great Blot, and leaders from around Sweden eagerly flocked to the pus-slicked floors of the Court of the Ginger Tard. We feasted and were merry, my character at one point entering a berserker rage and chewing on the table, which is proper Kingly insanity and much approved of in those parts even today. Finally came the time for the ritual sacrifices, mostly priests that my plunderers had kidnapped and brought home as trophies (memorably, this included the Pope, which got me an achievement and later led to my complete destruction via holy war). All save the last one.

Syphilitic Cousin Neckbeard, arrested the night before on grounds of conspiracy against the Crown, was dragged spitting, screaming and leaking out of the dungeons. He implored me to spare him, and at the last, for the court to rise up against a tyrant who would so cruelly slay his own child.

The great warrior King declared that such a sacrifice merely proved his devotion to Odin, and gave the order that proved Syphilitic Cousin Neckbeard's long-ago display to be no mere act of madness, but one of prophecy.

He was set on fire at the Blot after all.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Ah yes, the classic Epic of Richard Robert.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

So basically there's a reason that the thread title for CK2 in Games for a while was (still is?) "I desperately want to be cucked by Satan".

Then the next expansion let you character actually be a horndog and sleep around and the thread title became even more relevant.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Only in Crusader Kings II can the execution of the pope be a footnote.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Slime posted:

When you get out of the tutorial area, you end up in a place with a well. I don't know if it was in the game by default or if it was left by another player, but a sign next to it said "Try jumping". Being a seasoned gamer who's played lots of games with hidden treasure in strange places I was going to try jumping in the well anyway, since in videogames well ALWAYS have loot in them.

I died, of course.

That message was definitely left by a player to troll people (I can't play online now and it's not there). However there is a dev message in the Catacombs area in front of destructible wall that just says "Treasure." So you knock the wall down, go in and it's a room filled with skeletons that leads into hallways filled with more skeletons.

And of course probably the most recent and well known example of developer trolling is that pit in Majula in Dark Souls 2. That seems to be specifically designed to seem survivable and is full of treasure, but is certain death if you jump in without any items to help. And then later on you can just get a guy to build you a ladder in it. :v:

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Kimmalah posted:

However there is a dev message in the Catacombs area in front of destructible wall that just says "Treasure." So you knock the wall down, go in and it's a room filled with skeletons that leads into hallways filled with more skeletons.

At least that one's true (Darkmoon Seance Ring and Walk of Tranquility miracle).

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

In Dark Souls you leave big glowing messages, which is important in the Crystal Caves, as they are left in "mid air" to hint of the existence of huge invisible bridges you need to Last Crusade-style walk-of-faith on

Using a cheating program that has a hover feature, you can leave messages actually in mid-air. So while in the caves, I see a floating message, run to it like normal, and fall to my death. It clicked what had happened, so I went back to check it with the levitate cheat on, in case it said something funny. "Try Jumping", a message notorious for being placed at the edge of bottomless pits as a joking suggestion to jump off, if you really are that dumb.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I keep bouncing off CK2 even though I liked Victoria 2, but this thread may just convince me to give it one more go. Mostly I just worry that I'm leaving stuff unchecked and will fail horribly.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Walton Simons posted:

I keep bouncing off CK2 even though I liked Victoria 2, but this thread may just convince me to give it one more go. Mostly I just worry that I'm leaving stuff unchecked and will fail horribly.

Get the old gods DLC and start out as a viking king, that is the most newcomer friendly start from my experience as the marrying and breeding game takes a backseat to raiding heathen christians. :black101:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

At least that one's true (Darkmoon Seance Ring and Walk of Tranquility miracle).

I guess if you have any use for those things it is, otherwise it's a gauntlet of skeletons. :shrug: It's just such an obvious trap that I like to imagine the skeletons left the message.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Kimmalah posted:

I guess if you have any use for those things it is, otherwise it's a gauntlet of skeletons. :shrug: It's just such an obvious trap that I like to imagine the skeletons left the message.

The Darkmoon Seance Ring is always useful. If nothing else, it lets you kill Gwyndolin, because killing everything is awesome.

(I do not always kill that person, because doing so is not always useful, either. Tongue firmly in cheek.)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Red Faction: Guerrilla: Friendly AI who accidentally shoot a friendly apologize for it.

Also random civvies will become a guerrilla should you be in a firefight with the EDF, its just hilarious to have some miner digging up some rock then suddenly whip out an assault rifle.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Yakuza 4 is little things: the game for sure though. I was looking forward to playing darts, found a place that was called "Dart World" or whatever but it was just a background shop that you can't enter. Later I stumble into a bar looking for a drink (another little thing: when you order a drink it tells you a bit about the real world brand that you're drinking) and found the darts board! They're electronic and awesome.

Shame it couldn't have multiplayer just for those games. My wife would totally play the golf, ten pin bowling or darts games with me if she had the chance.

My roommate never played any of the actual Yakuza part of Yakuza 4 - he'd load up my save, beeline for a Mahjong parlor, and just play for a few hours.

Got me all the awards/trophies for that, though, so I'm a-okay with this.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Morpheus posted:

My roommate never played any of the actual Yakuza part of Yakuza 4 - he'd load up my save, beeline for a Mahjong parlor, and just play for a few hours.

This was me yesterday, but in GTA:V, with golfing. It's so relaxing!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Walton Simons posted:

That's half the fun.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

That was me all last summer, except poker in Red Dead Redemption.

...Okay so I also played the poo poo out of the actual game but man it's crazy how much of my time was spent playing poker. Nothing like standing up and murdering the entire table because somebody beat your straight with a flush.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In payday 2, every character has two sets of lines for shouting at things (players, cops, etc), one for during police assaults and one for between assaults. They sound calm and in control outside assaults, but more panicked during an assault (sometimes pretty much degenerating into incomprehensible screaming in the case of wolf and clover).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Morpheus posted:

Yakuza 4 introduced me to Rotation for pool, which is now the only thing my friends and I play when we go to a pool hall. poo poo is insanely better than 8-ball.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That's half the fun.
Yeah unlike other Paradox games CK2 is designed with roadblocks in the way as part of the game. You're following a family through it's rise and fall, and hopefully rebirth, not a country. Losing provinces is all part of that.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

I was that way with bowling in GTA IV too. Just perfect for half zoning out.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
A(nother) little thing I really like about Skyrim is that the reward you get for completing the Companions storyline, a double-headed axe called Wuuthrad, does more damage against Elves. The Nords are so racist that even their weapons hate Merfolk.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

LoonShia posted:

A(nother) little thing I really like about Skyrim is that the reward you get for completing the Companions storyline, a double-headed axe called Wuuthrad, does more damage against Elves. The Nords are so racist that even their weapons hate Merfolk.

I don't think that's really about the nords in general being racist but more because that's the weapon originally used by Ysgramor, who was specifically fighting a war against elves. And that only started when the elves massacred his people/family in the first place so it's understandable he'd want to hurt them.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
CK2 chat: Once you've got a game or two under your belt, I highly recommend the Crusader Queens mod. It basically gives female characters something to do besides getting married and pumping out heirs. They can inherit (however, in my current Mercia 769 start, I have to change the law to actually enact Cognatic succession. Not sure if it's a glitch or if it might be different with other start dates or locations), but more importantly you can put them to work on your council, and their occasionally awesome stats aren't just sitting there going to waste.

While it takes off the pressure to have a male heir at all costs, be warned that since women can inherit, the number of claimants to a title upon succession basically doubles. Which can make things chaotic as hell, but also quite entertaining. And I believe matrilineal marriages are much easier with the mod, so you can create the insane, inbred dynasty of your dreams with very little effort!

Crow Jane has a new favorite as of 19:23 on Mar 14, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

But... women can already inherit if you have the right succession laws and can be placed on your council.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Jobbo_Fett posted:

But... women can already inherit if you have the right succession laws and can be placed on your council.

Only as spymasters in the vanilla game. With the mod you can put them to work in any position.

You can also fix it so only women can inherit, which I haven't tried yet but am sort of curious about. The best part of CK2 is seeing exactly how loving weird you can make things.

Crow Jane has a new favorite as of 19:19 on Mar 14, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I must be doing CK2 wrong because all I've ever wanted is to keep Harold Godwinson on the English throne. gently caress William the Conqueror.

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse
No you're just on the side of right and hate the usurper. Like all true fans of the Ænglisc

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I must be doing CK2 wrong because all I've ever wanted is to keep Harold Godwinson on the English throne. gently caress William the Conqueror.

A true anglo-saxon would never call him that. :colbert: His name is Willliam the Bastard.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Medieval Medic posted:

A true anglo-saxon would never call him that. :colbert: His name is Guillaume le Batârd.

:colbert: :hf: :colbert:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

The Darkmoon Seance Ring is always useful. If nothing else, it lets you kill Gwyndolin, because killing everything is awesome.

(I do not always kill that person, because doing so is not always useful, either. Tongue firmly in cheek.)

It isn't to me because I have absolutely no interest in making Anor Londo any worse than it already is. :shepicide:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Kimmalah posted:

It isn't to me because I have absolutely no interest in making Anor Londo any worse than it already is. :shepicide:

Killing him doesn't make anor londo dark. It just locks you out of joining the blues if you still wanted to do that.

I usually go after him for the brass armor, one of the best looking sets in the game that I wish they brought back in dark souls 2.

e: Forgot that killing him pisses off the fire keeper so you can't use her bonfire anymore if you then kill her, so that is a pretty good argument against it I guess.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 02:23 on Mar 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Iji is basically the Deus Ex of indie games.

If you get hit by a special attack of the final boss, he notices it and will try to use it more. On the other hand, if he uses an attack a few times and it never hits, he'll discard it from his rotation except occasionally to throw it in as a curveball. It makes the fight somewhat harder as it goes on but without resorting to a cheap "Aha! I was holding my REAL POWER FOR THE END!" gimmick.

Also if an explosion knocks you over and you lie still for a bit, enemies will assume you're dead unless one walks up to you, in which case they'll check and realize you're alive.

Nearly every sector of the game has a terminal that will revive you (once) if you die, if you've activated it. The last sector is exceptionally long so it has two. It's the only sector to have a full boss inside of it, as opposed to after. If you die to him, revive, and come back, he'll gloat about how happy he is that he gets to kill you twice.

But if you fight him, die, fight him, die, and fight him again he's both absolutely flabbergasted and pissed off. :allears: