Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The only thing I know about Demo Reel is the first 5 minutes of the first episode, and Brad's parody of it. The parody was pretty great, whatever they gently caress they were doing with Batman, not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Didn't Doug try to pressure a lot of people into moving to Chicago to take part in Demo Reel or was that hearsay?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I hadn't heard that before...I was under the impression that the fans hated Demo Reel and the lack of new NC episodes was hurting the site's ad hits, so that led to him going back to it. I'm glad at least he wanted to do it?

He did a whole video essentially explaining in narrative form exactly what Jay 0 said - that he realised he simply hit burnout with the NC and after a few months of not doing it started coming up with all these new ideas for it. As far as I know the idea that he was forced back into it for hits came entirely from people cynically assuming it.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Gyges posted:

How can you possibly get mad at someone for putting up a Patreon, Kickstarter, Indigogo, whatever crazy flavor of donation aggregator? Oh no, they want money for whatever product/service they're offering. Those fiends!

In the last thread, from around when the Linkara video went up, some goon kept :spergin: about how dare these people think they're so much better than us that they think they're better than getting REAL jobs at the Olive Garden. Actually, I seem to recall the Olive Garden coming up multiple times as a "real job", such a bizarrely specific occupation.

And this was when a producer simply explained his revenue model, pointed out how it affected his ability to produce content, and asked if hey, maybe you folks could, for free, not adblock it.

So no! I'm not surprised people are bitching when the producers have moved to a new business model they are still not required to put any money into.

As someone who works in a creative field, I've even had people ask if that meant I had time to babysit their kids. Because clearly, if I make video games, I'm not doing any kind of real work so of course I can watch your brats for you!

Now that Lindsey's got a new series, can we get her and the patreon added to the OP? Or at least her separate patreon added to the Chez Apocalypse section?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Yeah, I also updated Lupa's with Movie Nights. I didn't have Lindsay on there because when we made the thread she was in that weird between period from leaving as the Chick and having not unveiled a new show yet.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Gyges posted:

How can you possibly get mad at someone for putting up a Patreon, Kickstarter, Indigogo, whatever crazy flavor of donation aggregator? Oh no, they want money for whatever product/service they're offering. Those fiends!

At best I can see discussion of how many people are supporting someone/something and whether or not it's a silly amount. But never actually getting emotional about it. That's just weird as poo poo.

Well to be perfectly fair, there's a few Patreons out there that I'd rather see crash and burn and get banned from the internet, but that's more because the people making them are despicable people rather than believing that people shouldn't get paid for art.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Puppy Time posted:

There's this weird idea among a LOT of people that, if you do anything creative and/or entertaining, you should be doing it solely for the Love of the Job and not make any money off it. The consumer shouldn't have to pay for entertainment because. But God help you if you DON'T churn out the material steadily while you're actually working to get money for food and shelter!

I think a lot of people don't realise how much work goes into creative stuff. They just hear people talking about how enjoyable and satisfying creative things are and assume it's all goofing off and throwing glitter and I guess living in a fairy tale cottage where food magically appears in the pantry.

I think some of it this (specifically when it comes to Internet Critics like we're discussing) comes from the fact that most of these critics/reviewers started doing them as a fun side product, without any intent or vision for profitability. The weirdness comes into play when those creators try to shift from doing-this-as-a-side-thing to doing-this-as-my-job thing. There's a bit of a tonal shift at play when this happens: what once was explicitly offered freely is one that now ends with a "Hey here's a link to donate money, here's a link to my Patreon, here's a link to my kickstarter, hey don't block my ads please" message.

As I type this, I wonder if the audiences are to blame for the shift. The average 12yo TGWTG viewer demanded more and more content from these guys, putting pressure on them to make More Content, pushing them to do away with the doing-this-as-a-side-job thing, etc.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

MisterBibs posted:

what once was explicitly offered freely is one that now ends with a "Hey here's a link to donate money, here's a link to my Patreon, here's a link to my kickstarter, hey don't block my ads please" message.

.... so what? "If you enjoy this thing I did for free and STILL DO FOR FREE, and would like to support me voluntarily of your own volition, here is a non-intrusive mention of a method of doing so placed AFTER the video".

I'll take that over a midroll injected by a scummy ad network any day of the week.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
There also might be backlash from TGWTG's indogogo campaign

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

PassTheRemote posted:

There also might be backlash from TGWTG's indogogo campaign

What happened there? Or is it just more of the same stupid that Lindsay was dealing with?

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
Speaking as someone naive enough to donate to that thing, Doug Rob and Michaud had an indiegogo campaign back in 2013 that raised 90,000, and aside from no shows they promised being released, there are chatlogs (http://imgur.com/a/K8Xe4) of Rob saying they used the money to keep the site from going under.

(sorry if I misunderstood what you were asking and you already know all this)

emeriin fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 13, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

emeriin posted:

Speaking as someone naive enough to donate to that thing, Doug Rob and Michaud had an indiegogo campaign back in 2013 that raised 90,000, and aside from no shows they promised being released, there are chatlogs (http://imgur.com/a/K8Xe4) of Rob saying they used the money to keep the site from going under.

Totally not an rear end in a top hat though, right thread?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Nobody has ever disputed that Rob is an rear end in a top hat

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
The NC/Demo Reel thing was a combination of Doug wanting to review Timothy Green and also they were in a terrible financial spot. That's why they released all those DVD exclusive videos on the site. From what I heard, most of that was Mike pressuring them to go back to NC to, I don't know, fund him playing video games. Rob really wanted to continue with Demo Reel, Doug could go either way. But I'd take anything they say about it going according to plan with a grain of salt. They've claimed that revealing the Demo Reel protagonist to be the NC the whole time was always the plan, when the NC DVD reviews of the anniversary movies clearly contradict the whole thing. (He was the NC the whole time, except the NC was reviewing the movies in a plot hole/hotel room?)

emeriin posted:

Rob's claim there was that the funds were to help make a better site, which I think just means better programming = better site. The game show is poo poo, but the whole fraud claim was Lordkat's deal. Since the chat logs are from me, that's how I interpreted them anyway.

(EDIT: I can, however, say that Michaud is totally down with fraud. He wanted to keep the portion of the indiegogo money meant for camera people and get their friends to do it for free.)

That being said, indiegogo did say they were investigating CA because it's been well over a year and they haven't produced anything. Last I heard CA claimed they were releasing the game show March 1st, and you guys know how well they keep deadlines. (I'll give you a hint: it's still not out)

Also Mike apparently plans to pitch the game show to a TV network affiliate.

Miss Wallace fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 13, 2015

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Miss Wallace posted:

Imagine them still re-filming the same show with the same questions for a whole season because that's all they learned how to do. The timing and host banter stay the same every episode but each time a different set of guests interact with the weird gameshow bubble world.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Paladin posted:

Imagine them still re-filming the same show with the same questions for a whole season because that's all they learned how to do. The timing and host banter stay the same every episode but each time a different set of guests interact with the weird gameshow bubble world.

Adult Swim would be all over that pitch.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

High Warlord Zog posted:

Yeah but that'd be the Truman Show movie, whereas the gameshow in it's current form is the Truman Show within the movie universe.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

High Warlord Zog posted:

I don't think even AS would greenlight that.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Puppy Time posted:

There's this weird idea among a LOT of people that, if you do anything creative and/or entertaining, you should be doing it solely for the Love of the Job and not make any money off it.
Stuff people do for fun, and not for a schedule, is more entertaining to watch and has more to say, at least in my experience. It's done for a sheer desire to say what the creator wants to say, and doesn't care about an audience or appeal or money. It's that exact sort of freedom that lead to the creation of the things people later want money to keep doing. When something becomes a job, because they want to get paid for it now because they're doing it full time, the content's quality (and often its speed of output) tends to drop. The knowledge that one now has to Make Art, indefinitely, or starve, weighs hard a person. Why wouldn't it? That sounds horrifying. "Be funny, for ever, or literally die."

This says more about the economic system we live in than the people inside of it. The simple solution is full communism now, but the slightly less ideal one, if you want your output to remain good but without fixing the actual problems in the world for some reason, is to pursue a 'real career' and keep creative stuff as a sort-of mistress you can take your time with because you don't rely on it financially.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Hbomberguy posted:

Stuff people do for fun, and not for a schedule, is more entertaining to watch and has more to say, at least in my experience. It's done for a sheer desire to say what the creator wants to say, and doesn't care about an audience or appeal or money. It's that exact sort of freedom that lead to the creation of the things people later want money to keep doing. When something becomes a job, because they want to get paid for it now because they're doing it full time, the content's quality (and often its speed of output) tends to drop. The knowledge that one now has to Make Art, indefinitely, or starve, weighs hard a person. Why wouldn't it? That sounds horrifying. "Be funny, for ever, or literally die."

This says more about the economic system we live in than the people inside of it. The simple solution is full communism now, but the slightly less ideal one, if you want your output to remain good but without fixing the actual problems in the world for some reason, is to pursue a 'real career' and keep creative stuff as a sort-of mistress you can take your time with because you don't rely on it financially.

Goddamn you do not know absolutely anything about working artists or creative professionals or balancing passion with obligations and making a living off creative expression. Jesus christ. Everything in this entire post is hilariously wrong. For most working artists, their art is a conversation, and they relish its evolution in the hands of collaborators and outside influences, so long as their vision is supported and nurtured through the process. Successful artists always do MORE work than what they are paid, (at the very least in the leadup to establishing themselves,) because they want to do it every second of their lives and getting paid for it just means that they can do that, without starving. If they wanted to stop they could and often do, because almost any other job is more secure, pays better, and is less emotionally and intellectually exhausting than trying to be a creative professional. "Continuing art for the money" is a rare position that very few people end up in, and they'd slap the poo poo out of you at the suggestion that they feel that way, even in the rare cases where there is a grain of truth to it. At this point, saying "Hbomberguy is really arrogant about being horribly wrong about everything" is just broken record territory, but this takes the fuckin' cake for "what planet are you from" so far. :stare:

Also, the whole "TRUE artists don't take a paycheck" line of thinking is toxic garbage that needs to stop like yesterday.

Jay O fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Mar 13, 2015

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Nothing you have written contradicts what I wrote. I wrote that, basically, the total freedom that comes from not requiring money to come from something can be a good thing, and though it seems like a good thing at the time people doing it for a living tend to justifiably get burned out - this is coming at the tail end of a discussion about just such a thing happening to someone, which you brought up! I said nothing about true artists not needing money. Obviously, they do - I just see that as a larger systemic problem. Are you even reading my posts before you call me an rear end in a top hat while writing a response I otherwise agree with?

Is this the conversation you were saying artists relish having? Wow. It's possible to have a discussion without being massively rude just because someone doesn't talk like you.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Hbomberguy posted:

Is this the conversation you were saying artists relish having? Wow. It's possible to have a discussion without being massively rude just because someone doesn't talk like you.

Sorry, you're right, I should stop engaging you. I just find you incredibly infuriating. Your opinions on just about everything betray a beep-boop worldview that I find extremely uncomfortable, I guess you could say. For every 10 "UGGGGH" things you post, I feel like I respond to 1, just by virtue of having filled up on UGH. But I really should quit it. I'm not going to get over how you discuss most aspects of life or art anytime soon, and all I'm doing at this point is just throwing shade.

Jay O fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 13, 2015

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

aw the jo/hbomberguy kerfuffles are my favorite part of this thread

now what am i going to do with my life now that they're gone

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Just wait another five pages, one or the other will crack when commenting on a new topic. Though I am glad they're embracing the thread's title so strongly.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Jay O calling people on their poo poo is unironically the most entertaining thing about this thread.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Hbomberguy, Davis Aurini has a new look, please go and make a video about it.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Rebochan posted:

In the last thread, from around when the Linkara video went up, some goon kept :spergin: about how dare these people think they're so much better than us that they think they're better than getting REAL jobs at the Olive Garden. Actually, I seem to recall the Olive Garden coming up multiple times as a "real job", such a bizarrely specific occupation.

And this was when a producer simply explained his revenue model, pointed out how it affected his ability to produce content, and asked if hey, maybe you folks could, for free, not adblock it.

I've just been reminded of when Asalieri did his own reaction to that video, where his response was to suggest that Linkara "get a second job" to make a living with, like flipping burgers, because videos of the quality Linkara makes could easily be banged out in a few hours while flipping burgers on the side, and it's better than trying to tell viewers to turn off their adblocking software because of reasons.

Judging from most other videos Asalieri has made though, I don't think he's in any position to give advice to Linkara on how he should make his videos. At all.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Jay O posted:

Sorry, you're right, I should stop engaging you. I just find you incredibly infuriating. Your opinions on just about everything betray a beep-boop worldview that I find extremely uncomfortable, I guess you could say. For every 10 "UGGGGH" things you post, I feel like I respond to 1, just by virtue of having filled up on UGH. But I really should quit it. I'm not going to get over how you discuss most aspects of life or art anytime soon, and all I'm doing at this point is just throwing shade.
If you could explain what was 'beep-boop' about it without simply saying 'it's so arrogant to give your honest impression of what doing creative things for a living is like!' maybe the conversation would be more productive for both of us? I'm not saying this to be insulting. If I had to make a video to a deadline every week to live, I know they'd all be garbage and I'd get sick of doing them, but that might just be me.

'You're so beep-boop' might sound like a really good summation of me in your head, but gives me nothing substantive to go on. If the point of discussion is to communicate, it fails at the first hurdle. Again, this isn't me trying to hurt your feelings, or being arrogant. What is mechanistic (which I assume is your criticism) about what I've written? I am intensely autocritical - just give me something substantive to consider. Think: You could, right now, force my posting to improve, and it'd be all thanks to you. That sounds great, doesn't it?

High Warlord Zog posted:

Hbomberguy, Davis Aurini has a new look, please go and make a video about it.
I'm working on a new Sarkeesian Effect video, but I like to take my time on these things because, like I've been saying, I like waiting until I have something good.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

The NC/Demo Reel thing was a combination of Doug wanting to review Timothy Green and also they were in a terrible financial spot. That's why they released all those DVD exclusive videos on the site. From what I heard, most of that was Mike pressuring them to go back to NC to, I don't know, fund him playing video games. Rob really wanted to continue with Demo Reel, Doug could go either way. But I'd take anything they say about it going according to plan with a grain of salt. They've claimed that revealing the Demo Reel protagonist to be the NC the whole time was always the plan, when the NC DVD reviews of the anniversary movies clearly contradict the whole thing. (He was the NC the whole time, except the NC was reviewing the movies in a plot hole/hotel room?)

Rob's claim there was that the funds were to help make a better site, which I think just means better programming = better site. The game show is poo poo, but the whole fraud claim was Lordkat's deal. Since the chat logs are from me, that's how I interpreted them anyway.

(EDIT: I can, however, say that Michaud is totally down with fraud. He wanted to keep the portion of the indiegogo money meant for camera people and get their friends to do it for free.)

That being said, indiegogo did say they were investigating CA because it's been well over a year and they haven't produced anything. Last I heard CA claimed they were releasing the game show March 1st, and you guys know how well they keep deadlines. (I'll give you a hint: it's still not out)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FopyRHHlt3M

No TV affiliate will buy that. It's terrible quality, I guarentee it.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Hbomberguy posted:

I am intensely autocritical - just give me something substantive to consider. Think: You could, right now, force my posting to improve, and it'd be all thanks to you. That sounds great, doesn't it?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

All my future bad posting is hereby your fault.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
As insufferable as Hbomber's posts are, it's not as bad as when this thread talks about feminist frequency or gamergate.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Shut up and go away you insufferable putz. You're annoying and you poo poo up the thread with five page long derails about how everyone who disliked Man of Steel is apparently an idiot.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 13, 2015

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Please cite one time I called anyone an idiot.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
From one bad poster to another it's a good idea for people like us to TLDR everything. Make your point in just a couple sentences then sit back and enjoy reading what the good posters have to say.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Hbomberguy posted:

The irony of this post is almost palatable.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

For bonus points, cite one time I called anyone an idiot for disliking man of steel, beside that one time I jokingly did it in italics to make fun of the idea I was doing that.

I know it's fun to contend with the imaginary version of me where I'm this crazy person calling everyone an idiot and justifying racism, but all I'm really doing is offering oppositional, pseudo-marxist readings of films in a thread about criticism, and occasionally criticising the lens people use to look at art.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

The joys of the ignore list.

Paladin posted:

I almost want to see the show, if only to see the trainwreck of quality.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Hbomberguy posted:

I kinda dig your posts and think you're a pretty all right dude/lady, but do you seriously need to respond to everyone in the threat who brings you up? Give it a rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
You know what? Never mind. This isn't a dialogue I want to enter.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 13, 2015

• Locked thread