Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

YAY!! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Quick:
BMW F800ST
1914 engine with dual webers and hydraulic lifters for my beetle (with warranty, quality engine)
1969-1974 VW bus

Which would you buy for $3-5k?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

Quick:
BMW F800ST
1914 engine with dual webers and hydraulic lifters for my beetle (with warranty, quality engine)
1969-1974 VW bus

Bus.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Bus!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Bus

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Monorail!

No wait, bus. If it's good, else engine.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 213 days!)

How many windows on the bus?

Also, STR, you loving failed the SAAB test, but passed on the life-doesnt-suck test.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Geirskogul posted:

Quick:
BMW F800ST
1969-1974 VW bus

All of the people answering bus have never run a car with dual webers.

It's like driving a chariot pulled (well, pushed in the Bug's case) by singing angels that smell like gas :)

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Mat_Drinks posted:

All of the people answering bus have never run a car with dual webers.

It's like driving a chariot pulled (well, pushed in the Bug's case) by singing angels that smell like gas :)

Yeah, but the bus is a bus. That automatically wins.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

West SAAB Story posted:

Also, STR, you loving failed the SAAB test, but passed on the life-doesnt-suck test.

So we traded places? :v:

(please don't kill me, I'm kidding, I swear)

So last night I noticed the guest bedroom PC kept rebooting (it has TeamViewer on it, it kept popping up saying that PC had logged in). Couldn't get in there to shut it off (sleeping person in there), couldn't connect to it from TeamViewer, so I said gently caress it and flipped the breaker for the room off long enough to shut off the PC, figured I'd deal with it today.

Tonight? It starts up, and LoginUI.exe can't start because of a missing DLL, then a BSOD, then reboots. Couldn't even get into safe mode. Finally got into startup repair, and managed to roll it back - it installed something from Windows Update last night. No idea how the hell it got hosed up, but it's one of the few times System Recovery has actually worked properly for me.

That makes 3 computers that have fallen over dead on me this week. :argh: At least that one wasn't antivirus related poo poo (that PC just has MSE on it, since its sole purpose in life is acting as a TV tuner/HTPC).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

West SAAB Story posted:

How many windows on the bus?

It'd be a bay window. Westfalia? Original split window buses are crazy expensive.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Geirskogul posted:

Quick:
BMW F800ST
1969-1974 VW bus

a) Dont ride motorbikes so no opinion
b) Mmmmmm. Yeah, this will work nicely
c) What the hell are you thinking, VW buses are loving awful even for the their day.

Engine for sure. A dual weber 1914 powered Beetle is a thing of monstorous beauty.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

It's Friday bitches!!!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Cat Terrist posted:

a) Dont ride motorbikes so no opinion
b) Mmmmmm. Yeah, this will work nicely
c) What the hell are you thinking, VW buses are loving awful even for the their day.

Engine for sure. A dual weber 1914 powered Beetle is a thing of monstorous beauty.

What if I get a 1914, put it in the bus, and use the bus' engine combined with the beetle's current leaky engine to make a good engine?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
When you say dual weber, do you mean new 40mm IDFs?
I wouldn't use 2nd hand ones because I did on my 13b and I think mine had a bit of shaft wear, and always for some dumb reason had crap in there somewhere that blocked the idle jets every couple of days.
E: They're a fussy finicky carb, way more so than my other single carb 48mm IDA weber set up. Bonus points though for their weird implementation of a choke.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Mar 13, 2015

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Those first ten models could rack up some serious models. Plus the 4.0 didn't suffer the problem head gaskets the north star did.

The 4.0 Northstar in the Aurora sure did have the same issues that the 4.6 in the Cadillacs did, you just didn't hear about them as much because the volume of Auroras was a fraction of the number of Cadillacs. Plus, people were less surprised when their Oldsmobile died instead of their Cadillac.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Just ordered 3 big 180 motors from an R/C helicopter to swap into my Nerf gun. :getin:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Geirskogul posted:

What if I get a 1914, put it in the bus, and use the bus' engine combined with the beetle's current leaky engine to make a good engine?

As I said, why on earth would you get the bus? They are truly one the most wretched and overated vehicles on the planet. The ONLY good buses have been ones that have been gutted and the shell dropped onto a Porsche chassis. Or a Chev motor inserted somewhere midships.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Youtube Safety Mode sucks serious rear end. Somehow it's been forced on for all PCs on our corporate network, probably some Bluecoat or McAfee shenanigans.

The end result is that I can hardly listen to any music on Youtube, probably because of "offensive" lyrics or somesuch. Apparently the line "Praise the saints for this erection" is extremely offensive to fragile minds :rolleyes:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Pro Tip:

Absolutely never ever loving ever help your friends get a job where you work..

I pulled some strings at the company I work for to get a job for a close friend of mine. The company is pretty hard to get into, and there is a lot of local applicant competition due to the university. He quit after two months.

I felt like a bit of a horse's rear end.So yeah, I agree with you.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Bus because Bus.

I like them for what they are. People perhaps have unrealistic expectations of them

I also love beetles. They are fun as hell and so moddable. But there's just something about lazily droning along in a Type2 that I've never found anywhere else. So anecdotal I guess.

Real answer. If you're asking others which you should buy as a toy, you don't care enough about any of them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Bus, put an EJ22 in it, use the parts to fix your other VW's engine.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Didn't general_failure try put a subby flat 4 into a bus?

Also, wow, going by GIS, 40mm IDFs have changed a lot. Main jets sticking up for no reason, no cast top cover and no choke any more (that blanked off plate on the side)

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Fo3 posted:

Didn't general_failure try put a subby flat 4 into a bus?

I did. It was easy. It was just stupid goddamn Australian legislation that hosed me over, not the practicalities of putting a Subie motor in.

Anyway, it's been a while since I looked but I think Jake Raby, with help from someone I actually know over this side of the pond developed a Subie based kit. This is because the Camper Special motors were getting hard to build because the cost of parts is so high and quality so low now.
So if you can throw money at stuff, that's a faster alternative.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

General_Failure posted:

Bus because Bus.

I like them for what they are. People perhaps have unrealistic expectations of them

Today I learned unrealistic expectations are wanting the engine to run and be able to be driven at 50mph for more than an hour before it shits itself all over the road.

I love buses but any time I go down south to Cornwall where all the surfer dudes are there's always more of them sat at the side of the road broken than any other car. Poor things. Can they be made somewhat reliable? They seem to be like Vespas which just die on any trip longer than a couple of hours.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

88h88 posted:

Poor things. Can they be made somewhat reliable?

kastein posted:

put an EJ22 in it

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

88h88 posted:

Today I learned unrealistic expectations are wanting the engine to run and be able to be driven at 50mph for more than an hour before it shits itself all over the road.

I love buses but any time I go down south to Cornwall where all the surfer dudes are there's always more of them sat at the side of the road broken than any other car. Poor things. Can they be made somewhat reliable? They seem to be like Vespas which just die on any trip longer than a couple of hours.

When you have 50 years of them not being able to do that, then yes, your expectations are unrealistic.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone hung drywall? Tips? Pointers? Doesn't seem to be all that difficult.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Tide posted:

Yup.

Don't use as many screws as I do.

Use good screws.

Don't try and do it with a regular phillips bit, get a good drywall screw bit (http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Drywall-Screw-Setter-4-Pack-DW2014C4/202302391) or a real screwgun if you have a lot to do.

Get one of these, it makes carrying drywall so much easier. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-Panel-Carry-Orange-93-300K/202262083

Snap a line or use a laser to guide your line of screws across the panel instead of guessing or you'll poke a lot of unnecessary holes in the wall. This matters more in old buildings where studs are not straight, level, parallel, or evenly spaced sometimes.

Measure 3x, cut once.

Get the ultralight drywall, it's worth it.

If you have ceilings to hang, plan on a helper or get a crane. You can do it alone but it's a pain.

Start at the top (ceiling) and go all the way to the edges, then go to the next stuff (slanted ceilings or walls) continue on down. If you do this, drywall mud at the edges of the ceilings is under compression instead of shear and is less likely to crack. Work upwards on the walls, but do them last.

Plan where the tapered and straight-cut edges of your rock panels will go. If your walls are shorter than your drywall is long and your studs are perfectly spaced go vertically, it'll save a lot of taping and mudding, otherwise go horizontally with your panels, stagger the vertical joints like you're laying brick.

I like the mesh tape but some people like the paper tape. Use good quality mud.

Cut your outlet box holes carefully. Anything over 1/8" gap must be filled with mud to meet fire codes.

Consider redoing the wiring and insulation while you have the walls down. If you live in a temperate zone, make sure you use proper vapor barrier and make sure it's on the right side of the insulation and sealed properly.

kastein fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 13, 2015

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

some texas redneck posted:

My big issue with Avast is it tends to be on the intrusive side with popups and audible alerts (yes, I do love waking up at 4am to my computer yelling AVAST HAS BEEN UPDATED). Still, looks like I'm going back to it.

catching up here but that's eventually what drove me to drop them. Bitdefender also gives out free codes for trials of the full version pretty often, and it's basically completely silent, hasn't hassled me once.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Man, the whole winter I complained that it was so cold and that I wish I could work on my car but now that the temps finally above 40 I feel laziness and my wallet clenching up.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Man...You are awesome.

quote:

Don't use as many screws as I do
Noted!

quote:

Use good screws.

Don't try and do it with a regular phillips bit, get a good drywall screw bit (http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Drywall-Screw-Setter-4-Pack-DW2014C4/202302391) or a real screwgun if you have a lot to do.

Got one (drywall screw bit). Actually have 4. I want a specialized screwgun but they're a bit pricey. I do have 3 high quality cordless drills with extra battery packs, so should be able to manage with those. I only have one room to do, so I should be ok.

quote:

Get one of these, it makes carrying drywall so much easier. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-Panel-Carry-Orange-93-300K/202262083

Will pick one up.

quote:

Snap a line or use a laser to guide your line of screws across the panel instead of guessing or you'll poke a lot of unnecessary holes in the wall. This matters more in old buildings where studs are not straight, level, parallel, or evenly spaced sometimes.

Noted

quote:

Measure 3x, cut once.

Story of my life

quote:

Get the ultralight drywall, it's worth it.

Will have to check in to that. Didn't know such a thing existed.

quote:

If you have ceilings to hang, plan on a helper or get a crane. You can do it alone but it's a pain.

No ceilings, thank God. Just walls. The current walls are early 80s wood panel that's been painted over.

quote:

Start at the top (ceiling) and go all the way to the edges, then go to the next stuff (slanted ceilings or walls) continue on down. If you do this, drywall mud at the edges of the ceilings is under compression instead of shear and is less likely to crack. Work upwards on the walls, but do them last.

No slanted walls (other than the room being a little off square, I imagine).

quote:

Plan where the tapered and straight-cut edges of your rock panels will go. If your walls are shorter than your drywall is long and your studs are perfectly spaced go vertically, it'll save a lot of taping and mudding, otherwise go horizontally with your panels, stagger the vertical joints like you're laying brick.

Everything I've seen has the drywall being set horizontally (with staggering the joints).

quote:

I like the mesh tape but some people like the paper tape. Use good quality mud.

The mesh with the adhesive backing seems the way to go except for corners. Paper tape seems best there.

quote:

Cut your outlet box holes carefully. Anything over 1/8" gap must be filled with mud to meet fire codes.

Good advice, thanks.

quote:

Consider redoing the wiring and insulation while you have the walls down. If you live in a temperate zone, make sure you use proper vapor barrier and make sure it's on the right side of the insulation and sealed properly.

The plan was to go ahead and put new insulation up and make sure the wiring was good while the walls were down. Hadn't thought about putting a vapor barrier up.

Thanks man!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

No problem. I'm basically rebuilding a property from scratch that should have been bulldozed, so I've seen it all. If my house was a car, it'd be roughly like kevbarlas' van, rot/neglect/previous owner hamfuckery wise.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Geirskogul posted:

It'd be a bay window. Westfalia? Original split window buses are crazy expensive.

I know the split windows are as expensive as a house.. for fixer-uppers. Why, I have absolutely no idea (loving boomers).

Company I am working with is colo'd at a company I have a rather, uh.. shall we say shaky past with. They have since forgotten about it- but the last time I dealt with them I ended up screaming at the owner to hand over root and gently caress off with their "CPanel grade antics" before I did bad things to him and his workers. It is almost at that stage again, and I'm not getting paid enough to care.

Tide posted:

It really isn't difficult. Measure, cut- and get help to hold it stationary when you are sticking the screws in. When you are taping/gooping up your panels, start somewhere inconspicuous because it will look like poo poo.

kastein posted:

If my house was a car, it'd be roughly like kevbarlas' van, rot/neglect/previous owner hamfuckery wise.

Except Kev has made progress.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

The 4.0 Northstar in the Aurora sure did have the same issues that the 4.6 in the Cadillacs did, you just didn't hear about them as much because the volume of Auroras was a fraction of the number of Cadillacs. Plus, people were less surprised when their Oldsmobile died instead of their Cadillac.

Strange. You don't read much about the gaskets popping. But then again, like you said.

GM tried so drat hard and yet just can't get it right. That and sticking with 4 speed autos for all their cars for years never helped.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

BrokenKnucklez posted:

GM tried so drat hard and yet just can't get it right. That and sticking with 4 speed autos for all their cars for years never helped.

I honestly don't get the 4 speed auto hate. You can have my AW50-42LEs when you pry them out of my cold, dead hands. That said, they used the 3 speed+overdrive a few centuries too long. :v:

Elephanthead posted:

Drywall chat: I would hire a drywall guy. They are pretty cheap and doing DIY and having it not look like rear end is hard.

..unless you live in a part of the country where orange peel is not verboten. :greencube:

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 13, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Cage posted:

Man, the whole winter I complained that it was so cold and that I wish I could work on my car but now that the temps finally above 40 I feel laziness and my wallet clenching up.

Just hoard parts over the coldest days of the winter. I probably have four or five summers' worth of parts waiting to go in at this point. :(

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I was pretty surprised to find a 4 speed auto in a loaner Malibu that I had.

IIRC it was a 2010, and every trim except the LS got a 6 speed auto. Then again, given the butt dyno and its size, I was also expecting to find a V6 under the hood, not a 2.4.

... it also had hand-painted pin stripes and reeked of Icy Hot. :corsair: Who does hand painted pin stripes on a beige box these days? Especially a no-option base model beige box?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Drywall chat: I would hire a drywall guy. They are pretty cheap and doing DIY and having it not look like rear end is hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Just hoard parts over the coldest days of the winter. I probably have four or five summers' worth of parts waiting to go in at this point. :(
Thats exactly what I did, I have seats, gaskets, bushings and wheels to put on that have been sitting. The wallet part was for my exhaust that I need to get fixed, its definitely not something I can/want to do.

• Locked thread