Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Ha hasn't had much practice doing celebrations, don't be too harsh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Alain Post posted:

He seems happy that it's an opposition fan doing that for once.

sha-bam

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
All arguments in defense of the MLS are now (read: still) invalid.

http://gfycat.com/ImmenseInstructiveEyas

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

TheBigAristotle posted:

ahahaha that's loving awful defending

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

wankouver shitecraps

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

TheBigAristotle posted:

Isn't that long ball hold up play, ie the thing jozy can't do well according to jozy defenders

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

TheBigAristotle posted:

Lol at that totally retarded defender showing him the wrong side.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

I wonder what Bojan is up to...

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Messyass posted:

I'm still not any clearer tbh

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Bojan is getting an operation to become Lukas Podolski, Jozy is off banging in golazos against competition far more fierce than in the Premiere League. Never saw the B-JGS Challenge panning out like this to be honest.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Jozy finally got service :unsmith:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Somebody post some American seriousposts about how Jozy beating clowncar defenders proves he's too good for Sunderland, tia.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

DrWrestling69 posted:

I'm still not any clearer tbh

Hes being sucked off by a robot

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

vyelkin posted:

Somebody post some American seriousposts about how Jozy beating clowncar defenders proves he's too good for Sunderland, tia.

Just look at the comments for any Jozy/TFC article on the MLS site or Reddit.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Messyass posted:

blue footed boobie posted:

Jozy finally got service :unsmith:

So did Bojan, apparently

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
See, I'd like to think that MLS teams have gained on the bottom EPL teams. But I worry that the recent experiences of Jozy, Shea, Bradley, and now Yedlin suggest that the big money means the EPL is moving faster than the American player. A dozen years ago, our guys could step in pretty quickly and be quality EPL players. That's not happening any more.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
To take this further, outside one game, Sundy have been just as poor since he left. It's a bad collection of talent that plays a bad style of soccer. They're going to avoid relegation, but only because this years crop of neophytes have been remarkable at throwing away points.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Sundy

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Neophytes

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Somehow this is even worse than S'land

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

chuggo is BACK posted:

See, I'd like to think that MLS teams have gained on the bottom EPL teams. But I worry that the recent experiences of Jozy, Shea, Bradley, and now Yedlin suggest that the big money means the EPL is moving faster than the American player. A dozen years ago, our guys could step in pretty quickly and be quality EPL players. That's not happening any more.

hey now, don't lump Yedlin in. he hasn't had a chance to fail as he's not getting any playing time yet.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

the escape goat posted:

hey now, don't lump Yedlin in. he hasn't had a chance to fail as he's not getting any playing time yet.

Sound's like he's already failed?

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.
he literally just left the Sounders in January and spent like a week in London before getting called up for international duty. I don't even think the plan for him included seeing first-team action this year for Spurs, especially now that they're out of all competitions except Premier League. They did loan out Naughton though, so maybe he'll get some minutes if something happens to Walker.

but that's not to say Yedlin isn't failing, he looked real bad on the USMNT.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

mushi posted:

he literally just left the Sounders in January and spent like a week in London before getting called up for international duty. I don't even think the plan for him included seeing first-team action this year for Spurs, especially now that they're out of all competitions except Premier League. They did loan out Naughton though, so maybe he'll get some minutes if something happens to Walker.

but that's not to say Yedlin isn't failing, he looked real bad on the USMNT.

How many tools would you say Yedlin has, as a player?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
In a lot of ways yes. We all know Jozy has never been good with his head. And especially after Poyet became manager, Sunderland relied more on a target forward like Fletcher. While the team sucked, under PDC Jozy at least looked competent when people were playing the ball to his feet and letting him work off his teammates. The Sunderland fans loved how he looked in all of the preseason games and how he linked up with teammates when he got there. Had Jozy ended up with a Southampton, Swansea, or Everton he'd be looked more kindly on. I don't think he'd ever replicate his AZ form but I think he'd be a competent striker (and not to be a revisionist, based on what PDC was trying to build I thought Jozy was a good fit at Sunderland, but the execution was a failure).

The important thing for any player going abroad (whether it's an American or any other nationality) is taking into account how you fit in with the team. Our players tend to make poor decisions in that sense.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
tbf guys like Paolo di Canio end up having a lot of problems with revisionism

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

vyelkin posted:

In a lot of ways yes. We all know Jozy has never been good with his head. And especially after Poyet became manager, Sunderland relied more on a target forward like Fletcher. While the team sucked, under PDC Jozy at least looked competent when people were playing the ball to his feet and letting him work off his teammates. The Sunderland fans loved how he looked in all of the preseason games and how he linked up with teammates when he got there. Had Jozy ended up with a Southampton, Swansea, or Everton he'd be looked more kindly on. I don't think he'd ever replicate his AZ form but I think he'd be a competent striker (and not to be a revisionist, based on what PDC was trying to build I thought Jozy was a good fit at Sunderland, but the execution was a failure).

The important thing for any player going abroad (whether it's an American or any other nationality) is taking into account how you fit in with the team. Our players tend to make poor decisions in that sense.

This is loving amazing.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

How many tools would you say Yedlin has, as a player?

69 or 0

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

vyelkin posted:

Where is the comparison to lukaku?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Byolante posted:

Where is the comparison to lukaku?

Well Byolante do I have news for you...

quote:

It’ll help Altidore if Toronto coach Greg Vanney encourages those attackers to interchange: A Dutch-style passing game suits Altidore better than English long-ball, and contrary to many assumptions, he’s more of an all-purpose forward than a bruising target man; more, say, Jonathan Walters or Danny Ings than Romelu Lukaku. One suspects that if he were a white man with a spiky haircut, fans would focus more on his insteps than his biceps.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Last time Toronto tried a Dutch-style game they started the season with nine straight losses, but sure let's try that again to mold the team around Jozy

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Ewar Woowar posted:

Oh my god

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Ewar Woowar posted:

holy poo poo

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
I'm mainly pasting this for the last sentence

He's best qualities are physical. He is strong. And he is fast. His worst quality is he has no concept of where he needs to be. At AZ he found joy because of the less attention paid to defending in the Eredivisie. He did not have to compete with multiple midfielders protecting the back line. No one is afraid of AZ they were good and are good but you aren't going to play counter attack unless that is your natural play style. Hardly anyone in the Netherlands plays a counter so most games are fairly open. Open games favor big strong players as there is a few more 50/50 balls do to passes being a bit longer. Given the more space he didn't need to be in the right places all the time. As long as he was near the right places he could bully defenders out of the way. Contrary to popular belief he can finish. The problem comes when he relied on muscling defenders to get shots and climb over them for headers, this comes easier in the Eredivisie as defenders can be younger and lighter. Pele has similar qualities to Jozy except Pele is better at finding space.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Given that the paragraph mentiones the Eredivisie over and over, are you sure that dude's not talking about Big Graziano Pellè and his time there

I mean he's still wrong because Pellè can actually score goals in a real league.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

Gigi Galli posted:

Given that the paragraph mentiones the Eredivisie over and over, are you sure that dude's not talking about Big Graziano Pellè and his time there

I mean he's still wrong because Pellè can actually score goals in a real league.

This would make sense but is much less funny so I'm going to ignore it

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Jozy is just as athletic as Pele

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Like the Jonathon Walters comparison is the weirdest thing ever because big Jon is loving garbage but unlike jozy he never stops working and never gives up on a ball, which is why he somehow manages to get about 8 goals a season despite being league 1 quality.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
I've heard a couple of swearing chants. Surprising to me, because I thought MLS was a family-friendly environment. I'm not mad, just surprised is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
Diego Forlan failed in England. Juan Sebastian Veron failed in England. Doesn't make them lesser players. The EPL just didn't suit them.

you also have to add that S'land played some seriously bad soccer. Would suck to play forward on those S'land teams.

Nice story on Shaq's back-up, who was once a big name prospect in his own right.

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2012/12/former_lsu_basketball_player_s_1.html

If only we could get 300-pound 7-footers to play soccer ...

• Locked thread