Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Dan Didio posted:

I don't really understand the complaint. She wasn't all that special and she actually had an arc, unlike Coulson, who was and still is garbage.

Rocksicles posted:

Your opinion on Coulson is noted, and rejected outright.

That's the kind of opinion that goes on your permanent record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Given there are people in this thread who consistently fail to understand basic math and literacy, I'm not too worried about my opinions not lining up to closely to the thread's consensus.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

OB_Juan posted:

That's the kind of opinion that goes on your permanent record.

I like Coulson, it's not a bad thing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dan Didio posted:

Her not being a spy and having something unique about her was the premise of the character, and in large parts, the show, though. It certainly didn't make her some faultless Mary Sue, given the very obvious flaws you've just pointed out.

It was possible to be not a spy and still not dumb so often about spycraft, though.

The Mary Sue-ness was more in the way Coulson treated her. (And her stupid TV hacking that would keep getting mentioned even when it didn't fit the plot that well or got shoehorned in)

Although come to think of it, maybe his insistence on her being 'special' was Kree genetic memory recognising an Inhuman on some subconscious level.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Rock: I meant him. You're fine.

Mike: That is a cool theory.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MikeJF posted:

Although come to think of it, maybe his insistence on her being 'special' was Kree genetic memory recognising an Inhuman on some subconscious level.

They sort of hinted at this in the episode with May mentioning how he died then when he returned met Daisy on their first mission.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I never got the core complaint. The people in the agency created to protect civilians being over protective of the civilian on board isn't weird to me.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

MikeJF posted:

It was possible to be not a spy and still not dumb so often about spycraft, though.

Not for her character and I don't think the two characters the show is primarily about considering each other important for good reason that ties into their shared backstory, and using their skill-sets that make them unique from other characters is some kind of silver bullet.

I think you've just got an axe to grind, bud.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Dan Didio posted:

Given there are people in this thread who consistently fail to understand basic math and literacy, I'm not too worried about my opinions not lining up to closely to the thread's consensus.

Yeah, but you think S.H.I.E.L.D. is gone, and... it's not?

Dan Didio posted:

I think you've just got an axe to grind, bud.

Man, I just want to know if S.H.I.E.L.D. is gone or not. It... it just doesn't make sense for it to be gone, why would you assert that it is?

why did you say that thing

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Is this like a Ben Affleck thing and you're going to try and kill my family? S.H.I.E.L.D. is gone, my creepy friend.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

S.H.I.E.L.D.'s so 2013. It's all about my favorite Inhumans now, like Seeingman and Quillface.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

MikeJF posted:

The Mary Sue-ness was more in the way Coulson treated her. (And her stupid TV hacking that would keep getting mentioned even when it didn't fit the plot that well or got shoehorned in)

Coulson treated her exceptionally well because she was exceptionally skilled in an area (haxxoring) that the rest of the team was pretty much clueless about. She added a lot of value to the team and was a critical player in several missions despite being just a civilian and not having received any SHIELD training. On the other hand, because of this lack of training, she made mistakes, not once but several times, and almost got herself killed, which definitely humanized her and kept her out of Mary Sue territory.

So yeah, I don't get your complaints. She has her strengths and her weaknesses, and I think the writers have done an excellent job balancing them.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Spoilers for next week! Vague and undefined spoilers, but spoilers nonetheless.

Also, some amazing art of Muad'dad. Tell you what, I'll just crop out everything but Muad'dad because it's so awesome.

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 13, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Dan Didio posted:

S.H.I.E.L.D.'s so 2013. It's all about my favorite Inhumans now, like Seeingman and Quillface.

Not-Nightcrawler and Spyke.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Coulson owns, hope this helps

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I would pay real money for a service that automatically did this after every episode...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I kinda want this mug.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Villain poster For next week's episode.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

That is extremely my poo poo.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Any guesses yet on who Cal's new misfits are?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Slashrat posted:

The muzzled guy is Angar The Screamer. The woman is Karla Faye Gideon, a minor Daredevil character who is neither a villain nor someone with powers in the comics. Don't know who the others are.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

MikeJF posted:

I kinda want this mug.

So do I. Any idea if it's real/where I can buy it?
Edit: found it on amazon.com for $15. I'm in the UK, so that's a bit useless. It's on amazon.co.uk for £37 inc. shipping. I like it, but not *that* much.

tentish klown fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 13, 2015

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Slashrat posted:

I hope they go whole-hog on them being people with superpowers that Shield completely abused or mismanaged. Remember this is the group that found a murderer with darkness/light/energy absorbing powers, threw him in a hole, and STRENGTHENED his powers.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Looks like there's also "The Accountant" and "The Uber Driver."

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Someone's gotta crunch those evil numbers.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Spoilers for next week! Vague and undefined spoilers, but spoilers nonetheless.

Also, some amazing art of Muad'dad. Tell you what, I'll just crop out everything but Muad'dad because it's so awesome.

Notice the extra bird behind Cal and in front of the SHIELD logo. A reference to Mockingbird?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Codependent Poster posted:

Notice the extra bird behind Cal and in front of the SHIELD logo. A reference to Mockingbird?

Something to note, people have speculated Mockingbird & Mack could be working with Hill; in this last episode Coulson made a reference to sending a list of supplies they were out of to Hill, so Coulson and her and working together as well. She could also be working on this side-job with Morse & Mackenzie behind his back and planning on betraying him of course, but I don't think I saw anyone else mention it so I figured I'd bring it up.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

She's working for someone against SHIELD, it won't be anyone like Stark or Hill. It might be something insane like the Skrulls or Thanos though.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Fun fact: This scene was filmed outside the entrance to the original Adam West Bat-Cave.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

She's working for someone against SHIELD, it won't be anyone like Stark or Hill. It might be something insane like the Skrulls or Thanos though.

Eh, I think they think they're on the side of good, such as it were.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

PriorMarcus posted:

I doubt that as much as she was defending Daisy and other team members in this weeks episode. They also made it seem that at some point Hunter could have joined them.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Yeah the shadiest bit was she and Mack saying "if we're discovered, we might end up fighting/killing our friends here" which suggests something more sinister than working for Fury or other suggestions from the earlier hints.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Well, if they're working for Hill/Stark/Ultron, then that's a project designed to completely replace the "broken" SHIELD. So there wouldn't be a need for Team Coulson any longer, which they might not take kindly to.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Mary Sue is one of those terms that's totally lost it's original meaning. It pretty much means "female character I don't like" now. Even in the original meaning Skye wouldn't be one at all.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

twistedmentat posted:

Mary Sue is one of those terms that's totally lost it's original meaning. It pretty much means "female character I don't like" now. Even in the original meaning Skye wouldn't be one at all.

Kind of like "trope" at this point.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

The MSJ posted:

Villain poster For next week's episode.

Okay, so, from left to right we have:

THE ACCOUNTANT
THE ACCOUNTANT'S BEST FRIEND
MUAD'DAD
MULTICOLORED HAIR WOMAN
BANE

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

Well she literally is one, it's her name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

greatn posted:

Well she literally is one, it's her name.

THAT'S NOT HER NAME!!!

• Locked thread