Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Cool art made deliberately unplayable for anything. I guess we need Bad Cards because Reasons. :smithfrog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mercury Crusader posted:

Ankle Shanker is old news. Say hello to Kneecleaver!

This art is incredible.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
One thing I notice is that the morph combat rule still holds with megamorphs. Nothing can flip and eat a 2/2 for less than 5 mana.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

This shows how much they pushed removal in this set. I can't wait to play limited!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tonfa posted:

Cool art made deliberately unplayable for anything. I guess we need Bad Cards because Reasons. :smithfrog:

Jeez that is wonderful

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Mercury Crusader posted:

Guys! What are we going to do with all this unused Lorwyn art??!?

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
With so much removal, does a Sultai Superfriends/Control deck get stronger? More options, possible more people will play removal which doesn't do much against planeswalkers and Satyr Wayfinders.

Working on putting together a RDW but I do like my Superfriends deck, even if I'm terrible at playing it.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Mercury Crusader posted:

This is going to be a backbreaker. gently caress up probably one of their best creatures, keep your dude, AND gain a pile of life while you're at it?

The commons/uncommons made me go from ehhhh to hell yeah about the set

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
Butcher's Glee reminds me a lot of Necrobite, which was usually between solid and actually rather good, and I think it'll usually be better than that. Giving a creature +3/+0 should be good enough to kill most things it's fighting with, but then you gain a bunch of life on top of it. Plus you can just use it aggressively. Probably an above average combat trick.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Combat is going to be loving weird in this format, there are so many good combat tricks

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Tonfa posted:

Hey man Sky Ruin Drake was perfectly playable in ZZZ and ZZW:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Secure the Wastes is definitely going to be at least a 1-of finisher in G/W Devotion.

Edit: I also like Palace Familiar.

qbert fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 13, 2015

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

God drat, all the removal. Guess I was wrong about limited seeming like it was going to be crap.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zoness posted:

Hey man Sky Ruin Drake was perfectly playable in ZZZ and ZZW:

This is the card you're actually looking for

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

qbert posted:

Secure the Wastes is definitely going to be at least a 1-of finisher in G/W Devotion.

Isn't Elspeth better in the Mirror?

Also I really hope GW Devotion isn't a deck after DTK rotates in...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Art/flavor text made me chuckle

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

BJPaskoff posted:

This shows how much they pushed removal in this set. I can't wait to play limited!

I'm gonna be honest I don't think reducing mana cost by 1 on an already insanely overcosted spell is pushing it.

Just a reminder that this effect used to cost BB:

I get the making removal lovely at common thing but 3B is hardly pushed.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

This is the card you're actually looking for

man i really wanted a flying fish I guess :blush:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Isn't Elspeth better in the Mirror?

Maybe? But Secure is good against all decks. It's their Crater's Claws.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

And Red gets an instant speed lava axe that can target creatures!

The people of Tarkir speak of an ancient legend, of the dragon-man called Sarkhan who was greatest of all the khans AND HAD FREAKIN' DRAGON HEADS FOR ARMS SPEWIN' FIRE ALL OVER THE GOOD GOD drat PLACE LIKE ONE OF THEM USED CAR LOT WACKY FLAILING INFLATABLE WAVING ARM GUYS EXCEPT ON FIRE AW YEAH

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

The people of Tarkir speak of an ancient legend, of the dragon-man called Sarkhan who was greatest of all the khans AND HAD FREAKIN' DRAGON HEADS FOR ARMS SPEWIN' FIRE ALL OVER THE GOOD GOD drat PLACE LIKE ONE OF THEM USED CAR LOT WACKY FLAILING INFLATABLE WAVING ARM GUYS EXCEPT ON FIRE AW YEAH

I want this art for every aura card that gives someone firebreathing.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zoness posted:

I want this art for every aura card that gives someone firebreathing.

I was gonna say, if this art doesn't get reused somewhere it's going to be a goddamned pity.

deftest
May 7, 2011
Is this the first time both planeswalkers in a large set were native to that plane?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rinkles posted:

And Red gets an instant speed lava axe that can target creatures!

Don't insult this awesome card by calling it a Lava Axe.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

deftest posted:

Is this the first time both planeswalkers in a large set were native to that plane?

Elspeth and Xenagos are both from Theros, right?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Guys, Sarkhan is scared. He doesn't know where he put his hands, and he doesn't know how these dragon heads got on his arms. Please help him :ohdear:

deftest
May 7, 2011

Entropic posted:

According to: http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Elspeth_Tirel

"Elspeth was born on an unknown plane dominated by Phyrexians."

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Foul Renewal might end up being played. There's a high chance it's a 2-for-1 in the right build.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Entropic posted:

This seems pretty bad. Why exactly do I want to Polymorph my opponent's creatures? Reality Shift was an OK playable in limited if you had no other way of dealing with you opponent's big bomb, this costs twice as much and is more likely to give them something better than a 2/2 than reality shift was. I guess if you give them something good you get to roll the dice again on the rebound? Still seems bad.

Bear in mind that this exiles their creature, rather than shuffling it into their deck.

Unrelated: There are a lot of cool engine enchantments in this set.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

Elspeth's plane was consumed by Phyrexia a long time ago. We don't even know what it's called.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
This guy:

Totally seems like a house to me. 7/10 total p/t for 5 & sac? Looking forward to grabbing them in limited.

There are a ton of 3-toughness for 3 dudes in the set as well.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Don't insult this awesome card by calling it a Lava Axe.

That's fair.

By the way the Flame-Maw Paw is an old trick of Sarkhan's

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Never ask Sarkhan to light your cigarette.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Tonfa posted:

Adding insult to injury, black gets this:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I'm not really sold on exploit for limited yet, first glance over the CIG makes it seem like a pile of card disadvantage to me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Just noticed there seem to be no loxodons in this set

(Because Atarka warmed up the snow regions?)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

dragon enthusiast posted:

I'm not really sold on exploit for limited yet, first glance over the CIG makes it seem like a pile of card disadvantage to me.

They all seem pretty good to me?

Like look at this guy:

The worst case, if you have no other creatures, is that it's a split card that's either a 2/1 flash flyer or an Essence Scatter, both for 3 mana. That would be playable card on its own. And if you have a creature already that's worse than a 2/1 flyer, there's additional upside.

Where's the card disadvantage?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Balon posted:

This guy:

Totally seems like a house to me. 7/10 total p/t for 5 & sac? Looking forward to grabbing them in limited.

There are a ton of 3-toughness for 3 dudes in the set as well.

Worst case it's 2 bears for 5, completely playable.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
New cards? How many of them have been declared the new white control finisher today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

BizarroAzrael posted:

Worst case it's 2 bears for 5, completely playable.

And if you have a Sultai Emissary it's five mana and a card to turn your 1/1 into 3 bears and a 3/6. Card is solid.

• Locked thread