Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It's sorta hard to gently caress up. You can't really go wrong with a lightly seasoned raw sauce, but you can't really get a super strong saucy pizza from it.

If you cook it, I'll third the anchovy or anchovy paste and personally will only sweeten with tomato paste rather than sugar. I don't think there's anything wrong with a "marinara on cheese sticks" because it's loving good. Cooked will also let you do fun things like add some adobe peppers or their sauce. I also like to halve an onion, removing it after cooking with butter similar to http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2010/01/tomato-sauce-with-butter-and-onions/ but with oregano and garlic and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

A good thing to do with sauce from canned or fresh tomato is to put the tomato through a sieve rather than just crush it whole. The fibre does nothing to the final sauce but dilute the taste and colour.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Depends on what you're going for, for some heavy duty pizza or even a tomato pie you want a cooked sauce.

Render down some pancetta in a saucepan. Once the fat is all cooked out, remove the crispy meaty bits and save them for a topping, or just eat it now.
Add finely chopped shallots to the hot oil and cook until turning translucent or so.
Add some garlic, finely chopped or through a press, I dont care. Just stir it around so it doesn't burn.
Before the garlic burns, add your tomatoes. I just use tomato puree, which is basically pre watered down tomato paste.
Add a few fresh basil leaves, whole or chopped or ripped up, whatever you like.
Black pepper, salt, maybe some oregano if you're into that.
Simmer on low for 30-40 minutes, stirring often.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Mr. Wookums posted:

It's sorta hard to gently caress up. You can't really go wrong with a lightly seasoned raw sauce, but you can't really get a super strong saucy pizza from it.

If you cook it, I'll third the anchovy or anchovy paste and personally will only sweeten with tomato paste rather than sugar. I don't think there's anything wrong with a "marinara on cheese sticks" because it's loving good. Cooked will also let you do fun things like add some adobe peppers or their sauce. I also like to halve an onion, removing it after cooking with butter similar to http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2010/01/tomato-sauce-with-butter-and-onions/ but with oregano and garlic and whatnot.

A bit of a derail, but I think I'm going to have to try that pasta sauce this week (on pasta, not pizza). It looks too simple compared to my usual recipe, but there are so many good reviews I feel like I have to test it. I'll definitely be adding some whole crushed cloves of garlic, however.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
People who say there's only one right way to do pizza sauce are out of their minds. The difference between cooked and uncooked sauce is pretty drastic, and everyone should try at least one of each and figure out their own tastes without worrying about what "actual pizza" is. I happen to think cooked sauce tends to complement more meat-heavy pies, while raw sauce works really well with more minimalist (like neapolitan) or veggie-heavy stuff, especially with fresh herbs.

But sometimes I'm just in the mood for one or the other.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Phyllo dough pizza wasn't really a good idea. That's what I get for not going out to buy flour tortillas.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Have you tried an uncooked pizza sauce? I prefer them, they're a bit lighter and fresher. You can either use a can of good quality whole tomatoes and puree them, or use a brand of ground tomatoes called 6-in-1 by Escalon (they're amazing you should try seeking them out if you can). Just mix in some salt, oregano, basil, maybe a bit of honey or sugar if you like your sauce sweeter, some crushed garlic, red pepper flakes. If your tomatoes are too liquidy or thin, you can either strain them, or add a bit of tomato paste. Then sauce your pizza as normal.

This man knows what's up. The pizza making spergs over at PizzaMaking forums got me hooked on them years ago. Since I'm basically as far away form California as you can get, I order the 6-in-1s directly from Escalon's site, I find it reasonable to keep several cans on hand for my tomato needs.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Hed posted:

This man knows what's up. The pizza making spergs over at PizzaMaking forums got me hooked on them years ago. Since I'm basically as far away form California as you can get, I order the 6-in-1s directly from Escalon's site, I find it reasonable to keep several cans on hand for my tomato needs.

Same place I heard about them too, those people know their poo poo. I was lucky enough to find that a local giant grocery store carries them regularly :toot:

Now I have no less than 2 cans in my pantry at all times, for emergency pizza purposes lol

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Despite never having been to NYC I'm in love with new York pizza and whole heartedly love kenjis nyc style pizza and sauce

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Speaking of sauces, does anyone have a go-to for a pizza BBQ sauce? Something rich, dark, but not hot-spicey, with a bit of sweetness. It feels cheating that I make my own tomato pizza sauce (uncooked with not much more than a couple leaves of fresh basil, some smoked salt, and dried oregano) but I just squirt out some bottled stuff for when everyone wants a meaty BBQ pizza. All the bottled ones I've tried are very thick and go on more like a paste than a spreadable sauce like tomato-based.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Why not use your fav bbq sauce and just thin it out with water or tomato sauce?

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Aaronicon posted:

Speaking of sauces, does anyone have a go-to for a pizza BBQ sauce? Something rich, dark, but not hot-spicey, with a bit of sweetness. It feels cheating that I make my own tomato pizza sauce (uncooked with not much more than a couple leaves of fresh basil, some smoked salt, and dried oregano) but I just squirt out some bottled stuff for when everyone wants a meaty BBQ pizza. All the bottled ones I've tried are very thick and go on more like a paste than a spreadable sauce like tomato-based.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/kansas_city_classic_BBQ_sauce.html

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Finally have a chance to try out my new stone!

I looked up a million recipes and couldn't decide on one, so I kinda just...smashed them all together. I used a strong bread flour and decided to include oil and sugar (Neapolitan recipes didn't call for it, others did). Kneaded for 20 min, rested a bit, then kneaded for another 30 min. It still didn't windowpane completely, but it got fairly bouncy and I figure it'll develop further while it rises. And my arms are falling off
Planning on a 29-30hr rise in the fridge.

Please tell me I haven't hosed this up:
pre:
Flour      1159g - 100%
Water      730g  - 62.99%
Yeast      17g   - 1.47%
Salt       30g   - 2.59%
Olive Oil  24g   - 2.07%
Sugar      17g   - 1.47%

angor fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Mar 20, 2015

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Sourdough pizza, San Marzano tomato sauce, heathen-esque regular mozzarella, basil.

Finding good buffalo mozz is hit and miss around here :(

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

angor posted:

Finally have a chance to try out my new stone!

I looked up a million recipes and couldn't decide on one, so I kinda just...smashed them all together. I used a strong bread flour and decided to include oil and sugar (Neapolitan recipes didn't call for it, others did). Kneaded for 20 min, rested a bit, then kneaded for another 30 min. It still didn't windowpane completely, but it got fairly bouncy and I figure it'll develop further while it rises. And my arms are falling off
Planning on a 29-30hr rise in the fridge.

Please tell me I haven't hosed this up:
pre:
Flour      1159g - 100%
Water      730g  - 62.99%
Yeast      17g   - 1.47%
Salt       30g   - 2.59%
Olive Oil  24g   - 2.07%
Sugar      17g   - 1.47%
I like water at at least 66%, but I don't know your humidity or any of that. If you're doing an overnight you don't need to kneed it twice; you can do a no kneed overnight covered outside of the fridge, and I don't think a day and change in the fridge will give you the nice sour taste of an aged dough. That's easily enough for 6 pies though, try them out after 1, 2, 3, 4 days or 0 with your the double kneed an another hour resting.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I made the serious eats no knead pizza and its the first time I've made pizza before and it was mostly as I expected. The only problem though was that the top was starting to burn before the time the recipe said it should so I don't think the dough was as cooked as it should have been. Is it because I added the sauce and toppings while the sauce was hot which caused the mozzarella to melt before going in the oven?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Jose posted:

I made the serious eats no knead pizza and its the first time I've made pizza before and it was mostly as I expected. The only problem though was that the top was starting to burn before the time the recipe said it should so I don't think the dough was as cooked as it should have been. Is it because I added the sauce and toppings while the sauce was hot which caused the mozzarella to melt before going in the oven?

Doubtful. Where was your rack positioned in the oven? Pizza cooked in a pan generally needs to be on the second lowest (or lowest) rack or so. If yours was higher, that might account for the top cooking faster.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
We pizza'd yesterday!

The dough turned out alright. When I put the dough in the fridge my cling film job sucked and I ended up having to surgically remove about 250g of dried dough, but other than that it was fine.

Cheese!

Bottom:

Spinach and feta:

Crumb:

The crust was light and chewy, but I would have loved it if it had a bit more spring and a more open crumb. I suspect it needs higher hydration (this was 63% with strong bread flour), more kneading (this was 50 min by hand, but didn't quite windowpane), and a longer ferment (30 hrs in the fridge for this guy, but I have 2 more left that I plan on making on Tuesday).

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

So I made pan pizza with kenji's recipe (again.) And I got it down this time. Using plain olive oil instead of extra virgin allowed me to pre-cook the bottom on the stove more, getting the crust crispier. I topped it with pesto, marinara sauce, mozzarella, red bell pepper, sliced garlic, and marinated olives. The olives really added a punch that'd been missing before.

And then the drat thing slipped when transferring it to the cutting board and fell on its face. So it's not pretty enough for a picture. But still excellent!

swansong
May 7, 2005

Goonfleet said I have to post on SA more
Trip report:

Killer robot posted:

Basically this recipe, only with far less honey because that's ridiculous: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/exquisite-pizza-sauce/

Got around to trying this, and it was pretty good. I did use the full honey called for because I also added some Sriracha garlic paste and wanted to balance out the heat for the youngins I was too lazy to make separate sauce for. I didn't think it was overly sweet, but I did think it just wasn't enough, need to 1.5x or double the recipe next time or probably just supplement with some crushed. Probably also going to try just partially pre-cooking it a bit, I think I prefer that. I'm good with a more marinara-y sauce, and lots of it. For my next attempt I'm probably going to skip the honey altogether and whisk in some softened sweet onion instead.

Mr. Wookums posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with a "marinara on cheese sticks" because it's loving good.

Yeap.

Made with this crust: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/amazing-whole-wheat-pizza-crust/detail.aspx brushed with olive oil and using cornmeal instead of flour when rolling out.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Aaronicon posted:

Dreamland's bbq sauce owns: http://www.dreamlandbbq.com/Catalog/CategoryInfo.aspx?CID=7
I use a bit of it in calzones with smoked sausage, ricotta, and goat cheese. It's definitely on the vinegary side of the BBQ sauce spectrum vs more sweet or molases-y bbq sauces.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

I just made a pizza. I made and rolled the dough and poo poo. Got a new oven. AEG. $3K here. Bolognaise sauce, blue cheese, marinated capsicum & some marinated artichokes, sliced water chestnuts, some Bocconcini, umm salt and pepper, a bit of polenta for the base, and a bit of mozzarella on top.

Looking good so far.

5 mins to go.

:)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Pics..?

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

Blow posted:

rolled the dough

well there's always next time

poo poo I know amazingribs, why didn't it occur to me to use one of their sauces? My wife has been raving about these bourbon sauce ribs she had recently, I might make up something like that.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
For all my trying and patience over the years, I just can't get used to forming and shaping a pizza by hand. I always end up ripping it. Any advice or links on how to learn?

(I have 2 batches of Jim Lehey's No Kneed Pizza dough waiting for me on the counter at home)

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Heners_UK posted:

For all my trying and patience over the years, I just can't get used to forming and shaping a pizza by hand. I always end up ripping it. Any advice or links on how to learn?
If the dough is snapping back on you instead of trying to force it into shape just put it down for 5 minutes to let it relax, then work it some more.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I've been loving the pizza stone since reading this thread, but how do I clean it without a self cleaning oven? Apologies if it's been discussed, I've read the whole thread but can't remember.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Doghouse posted:

I've been loving the pizza stone since reading this thread, but how do I clean it without a self cleaning oven? Apologies if it's been discussed, I've read the whole thread but can't remember.

I sand it, rinse until a wet paper towel wipes clean, then let let dry for a day

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Pizza in the morning, pizza in the evening, pizza at supper time.

Maybe just pizza in the morning.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Doghouse posted:

Scape it with a metal scraper and brush it with a metal brush. Dark stains give it character and tell a story :colbert:

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
I've been doing pizza on a stone on my bbq for awhile. Besides regular pizza ideas some of the best I've tried include.

Cincinnati chilli pizza using a homemade cincinatti chilli for the sauce with cheddar cheese and onions.
Chicken satay pizza with bbq chicken satay and Thai peanut sauce for the sauce
Breakfast pizza with bacon and eggs for toppings and sausage gravy for the sauce

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
gonna want pics of all of that, maybe some recipes too. That sounds way too delicious.

My biggest thing is I don't really like messing with making my own dough, so all I've done is the "self rising flour + greek yogurt" dough or use flatbreads/naan/tortillas/whatever in their place. I feel like I'm selling myself short here, but I'm also really bad at using enough dough to at once to warrant a whole batch. Now I'm just kind of rambling, but aside from freezing the rest what's a good balance recipe for not a ton of effort, not a ton of waste, as much flavor as possible?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

KettleWL posted:

gonna want pics of all of that, maybe some recipes too. That sounds way too delicious.

My biggest thing is I don't really like messing with making my own dough, so all I've done is the "self rising flour + greek yogurt" dough or use flatbreads/naan/tortillas/whatever in their place. I feel like I'm selling myself short here, but I'm also really bad at using enough dough to at once to warrant a whole batch. Now I'm just kind of rambling, but aside from freezing the rest what's a good balance recipe for not a ton of effort, not a ton of waste, as much flavor as possible?

By your own criteria, tortilla pizzas. They're amazing. http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/10/cast-iron-skillet-tortilla-pizza-bar-pie-food-lab.html

If you want to make your own dough though, look for a no-knead pan-style pizza. They're generally easy and quick.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

nmfree posted:

If the dough is snapping back on you instead of trying to force it into shape just put it down for 5 minutes to let it relax, then work it some more.

This sounds like a technique/experience problem, but if it is a dough formulation issue, you could add 1% garlic powder to the dough. It does an enzyme thing.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Happiness Commando posted:

This sounds like a technique/experience problem, but if it is a dough formulation issue, you could add 1% garlic powder to the dough. It does an enzyme thing.

Think it's worth doing even if it is experience? Also, how does it affect the taste? Sounds great?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I don't think you should need to do that with a pizza dough, I guess try it out for fun but if you can't stretch it there's another issue. Kettle, what's the recipe you're using?

Also pizza dough is pretty much the easiest dough to make, don't be intimidated and it can be used for calzones and other fun stuff.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I like to sprinkle a little extra queso and chili peppers on top of my pizza to give it a bit of a "latin" kick!

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Heners_UK posted:

Think it's worth doing even if it is experience? Also, how does it affect the taste? Sounds great?

Taste effect is minimal, snapback effect is pretty amazing. Definitely worth trying a batch with and without it just to see the difference in slackness. I use it in my standard recipe and dont anticipate going back anytime soon.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Bam! Look how round that bitch is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
And here I'd been adding garlic to my dough as a flavor thing.