Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

i once did cool algorithm lovely matlab -> lovely c++ -> kinda not so bad c++ once

it took two years

i called it my master's thesis

see if you do it as part of a university spin off you actually get paid a real wage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

and worthless stock options! don't forget about those!

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

well..

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

grad school makes it look good!

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Bloody posted:

what's the algorithm

It's based on a thing that may not be an actual algorithm called a support vector machine with some sorta baysiean criteria added so they call it a relevance vector machine. this guy further extends it into using some "kernel basis functions" and starts calling the vectors units and then it's referred to as the RUM. I think in the final stuff that I would be working with it's called CRUM since it's the RUM applied to Classification problems (in this case the classification of ncRNAs)

still reading all the literature on it so i have a maximal amount of time invested before i get the program that the guy wrote and it turns out to be incomprehensible mathematician-code akin to the source of dwarf fortress

Marzzle fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 13, 2015

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

oh so it's a svm. might i interest you in good svm libraries, such as libsvm or lasvm?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

not sure what is meant by the bayesian criteria but the rest is bog-standard svm for nonlinear decision boundaries

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

post the yosposest svm libs u got

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

cusvm b/c it doesnt work

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

by which i mean i never got it to work

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Bloody posted:

not sure what is meant by the bayesian criteria but the rest is bog-standard svm for nonlinear decision boundaries

yeah, the RVM/bayesian stuff is cited from a 2001 and 2003 paper from some journals randomly pulling "machine, staticstics, intelligence etc..." to form their names so I dunno how wide spread it is yet. i'd imagine I will probably have to end up reading both of them as I have no idea what the bayesian criteria are either but i'd imagine it's sorta working some kind of covarience (only because that was the thing thrown around when I was meeting with people about it) based thing to make its choices

Marzzle fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 13, 2015

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Bloody posted:

by which i mean i never got it to work
are there any with OFF THE SHELF functionality?

I think that's why the dude was doing it in matlab because while it's a proprietary garbage pile that isn't gonna get me the honeys, it probably has some svm stuff built into it with a fun mathworks(tm) tutorial/faq but I haven't actually check yet i suppose i am gonna now though

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

hobbesmaster posted:

most stuff like that is in matlab because there's an existing function for everything you could possibly imagine and at a university it's all basically free

i actually spent the first couple years working translating professor matlab code into c++. my life would actually have been easier if the professors never eventually learned c++ and stuck to matlab but that ship has sailed now. count your blessings

Why'd they want it in c++? People seem pretty chill with just publishing like 4 papers on a bunch of matlab stuff here

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Marzzle posted:

are there any with OFF THE SHELF functionality?

I think that's why the dude was doing it in matlab because while it's a proprietary garbage pile that isn't gonna get me the honeys, it probably has some svm stuff built into it with a fun mathworks(tm) tutorial/faq but I haven't actually check yet i suppose i am gonna now though

yeah, libsvm

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Marzzle posted:

Why'd they want it in c++? People seem pretty chill with just publishing like 4 papers on a bunch of matlab stuff here

typically so you can get results in less than one computer decade

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Bloody posted:

typically so you can get results in less than one computer decade

what about cloud matlab harvesting all the geothermal power of iceland so no one will have to learn what a memory pointer is

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Someone post the julialang benchmark where Matlab was like 10,000 times slower than java

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

(looks at chart) oh hey thats not so bad 'pos you so funny(notices the log scale) :ducksiren:

Marzzle fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Mar 13, 2015

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Marzzle posted:

however, it means i gotta look at matlab code and that means it wouldn't be very useful if i wanted to make an html5 interface for it so i was thinking of moving it to octive (which is supposed to be the same thing as matlab sorta but OSSier)

the only reasons to even consider octave over matlab are:
1. price
2. ideology

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Bloody posted:

i once did cool algorithm lovely matlab -> lovely c++ -> kinda not so bad c++ once

it took two years

i called it my master's thesis

what was the improvement when you were done?

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Corla Plankun posted:

it not being in matlab

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

even moving to c++ is an improvement

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fritz posted:

the only reasons to even consider octave over matlab are:
1. price
2. ideology

3. you need a result while waiting on a quote from mathworks

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Corla Plankun posted:

mostly that you could read the code and plausibly understand what was going on

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
woah julia looks pretty sick, i'll have to take a closer look next time i need to do something mathy

although honestly i'll probably just keep using f# and learn to use the R type provider because f# fully owns and nothing mathy i do requires good performance

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

julia is fully sick but the lack of a large stdlib is really inconvenient. like it doesn't even have builtin plotting functionality. so i use it never.

apparently the ffi is pretty dece but if i want to gently caress around all day with ffi i'll just use c#

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Bloody posted:

julia is fully sick but the lack of a large stdlib is really inconvenient. like it doesn't even have builtin plotting functionality. so i use it never.

apparently the ffi is pretty dece but if i want to gently caress around all day with ffi i'll just use c#

i used gadfly and it was fine (stupid name notwithstanding)
http://dcjones.github.io/Gadfly.jl/

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i used gadfly and it was fine (stupid name notwithstanding)
http://dcjones.github.io/Gadfly.jl/

that's the most tech bubble url

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Bloody posted:

mostly that you could read the code and plausibly understand what was going on

if that's all then that was a huge waste of time

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Corla Plankun posted:

if that's all then that was a huge waste of time

:agreed:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

it's friday and i finished my major feature of the week like 2 hours ago and have been doing gently caress all

it feels weird to be doing nothing and there be sunlight

should i get my drink on or what

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

PleasureKevin posted:

it's friday and i finished my major feature of the week like 2 hours ago and have been doing gently caress all

it feels weird to be doing nothing and there be sunlight

should i get my drink on or what

yes

i got mine done and then we had a party at work

now i'm yosposting, i should just go the hell home

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Awia posted:

gotta build everything from the ground up!

i dont really begrudge them for it, if im meant to be learning how this poo poo works just dropping library references everywhere that do everything for me isnt gonna help

if your ultimate goal is not to learn how a hashmap works though then go gently caress them

programming should be taught in something like a trade school

programming jobs shouldn't require degrees

CS degrees can go back to teaching CS

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
code:
suggestedQueries = GithubSearchResult.objects.filter(user=request.user, title__istartswith=starts_with, repo=repo).values("title").annotate(Count("id")).order_by("-id__count")
the power of ORM

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

~Coxy posted:

the dream

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
that is definetely an issue here. there is a total lack of CS highschool teachers because of how much money you can make not teaching

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

~Coxy posted:

programming should be taught in something like a trade school

programming jobs shouldn't require degrees

I dunno I think half or more of a cs degree is just a sorta specialized in depth intelligence test that hopefully makes sure you aren't too dumb to figure out novel problems. Not that its any good at that, but if you teach programming like a trade then the second some dummy that memorized all the method calls to use for the right situations like some sorta info-plumber will just be entirely lost.

Cs may have very little to do do with iINDUSTRY PROGRAMMING but aside from some gattaca brain scan it's probably the current best-yet-flawed way to make sure a person has the aptitude to learn how do figure stuff out

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
as I near the end of my degree, the most useful things ive learned over the past 4 years are:

• how to code in python and java along with the important java workflow stuff
• how to pick up new languages in a reasonable time
• knowing how to find the info i need to solve something
• lots of agile team projects

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
the thing is, at this point you can get by in most programming jobs without ever solving a novel problem

sure, if you work for an actual Software Company then maybe you'll be solving some novel problems but that isn't where like 80% of the work is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Dessert Rose posted:

sure, if you work for an actual Software Company then maybe you'll be solving some novel problems but that isn't where like 80% of the work is

sometimes not even then lol

• Locked thread