Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

net work error posted:

This case is really cool, what is it? Did you just dump a system into a case for something else?

Looks like a big Pelican case to me. I use them for my field microscopes, but never thought about using them for a modular!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Oldstench posted:

"Glassy" screams FM to me. "Watery" makes me think of Korg-like filters. Everyone else will have a different idea.

wavetables on a blofeld; restrain yerself w/ effects?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

BonoMan posted:

I'm in love with glassy/watery tones. None of that 8 bit poo poo. What do I need to make this tia.

Glassy: Additive octave sines
Watery: lowish frequency, high resonance lowpass filter

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BonoMan posted:

I'm in love with glassy/watery tones. None of that 8 bit poo poo. What do I need to make this tia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSMLR2Lf6PM

:henget:

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

oh gently caress yeah a wavestation; the vst must be like £30 now. worth it.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Tell us about your rig Mr Glass!

Looks like he's using the Synthrotek 6U + 1U case. I've got one as well, quite a good enclosure for a small system

Yeah it's the syntrotek case + their diy power supply kit. I built it up around the metropolis and it's all pretty much just standard synth architecture. It's fully duophonic, which is nice, and I use a shapeshifter as my primary osc so I can do all the fun wave table and FM stuff I want.

Edit: the case is international orange btw it's important to keep visibility high when patching.

Mr. Sharps fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 12, 2015

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Scatterfold posted:

oh gently caress yeah a wavestation; the vst must be like £30 now. worth it.

Hell yeah. I kinda want the physical thing, but just my initial search seems like it may be hard to get one that isn't a bit dodgy.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Oldstench posted:

A Intellijel Atlantis is basically a semi-modular SH-101. You could do much worse starting out.

nice. that's on the top of my list for sure.

what sequencer modules do people like?

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

BonoMan posted:

Hell yeah. I kinda want the physical thing, but just my initial search seems like it may be hard to get one that isn't a bit dodgy.

I really like the VST. It must be about 10 years old now but Korg nailed it and the M1 and tbqh seeing as both are digital synths anyway it doesn't seem to me like you're losing much by having them inside a computer. There's a lot of WS on this ep; it's def a unique synth.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Mr. Glass posted:

I'm using an Orbitals. Its pretty great (and cheap compared to the Audio Damage) but the gate switches are the worst

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Mr. Glass posted:

I have (and love) both a Rene and a PP + Brains combo. Would love to get a Metropolis. I also use my ES-1 and lots of bizarre Reaktor sequencers.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Scatterfold posted:

I really like the VST. It must be about 10 years old now but Korg nailed it and the M1 and tbqh seeing as both are digital synths anyway it doesn't seem to me like you're losing much by having them inside a computer. There's a lot of WS on this ep; it's def a unique synth.

Yeah there's really no reason for me to try to go beyond what I have at the moment physically. I need to get a DAW (I have Audition as part of my Create Suite bundle, but I'm gonna spring for Live) and start working there first. My microbrute and PO's have quenched my physical synth desires.... for now.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Oldstench posted:

I have (and love) both a Rene and a PP + Brains combo. Would love to get a Metropolis. I also use my ES-1 and lots of bizarre Reaktor sequencers.

The same, except that I don't much care for the Rene, partly because it tends to not recognize my touches unless I lick my fingers a lot which is kind of gross. ES-1, PP+Brains, and Metropolis are all great though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Scatterfold posted:

How do you even use it, though? Apart from using the presets, I've had no luck in even trying to just pick out a single sound (the presets are usually a lot of sounds layered) because the UI is so difficult to use :(
The M1 UI is a bit better, so I mostly use that when I need to get my cheese on.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

How do you even use it, though? Apart from using the presets, I've had no luck in even trying to just pick out a single sound (the presets are usually a lot of sounds layered) because the UI is so difficult to use :(
The M1 UI is a bit better, so I mostly use that when I need to get my cheese on.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun04/articles/korglegacycollection.htm scroll to 'programming wavestation". Really wouldn't want to do it on hardware, even more tedious than D-50.

Edit. Anybody know how to un-blacklist plugins in Live? Just remembered that the wavestation hasn't been showing up for some time.

W424 fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 13, 2015

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
The Korg plugins only run on the 32-bit version of Live 9.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Sjoewe posted:

The Korg plugins only run on the 32-bit version of Live 9.

All the other ones are working just fine on 64bit, the Wavestation doesn't show up on plugin browser.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Your Computer posted:

I think they're about the same (M1 & WS). It looks more painful than it is:

The heirarchy is preset->perform.->part/patch, where each of the last has a max of four waveforms [in the case above: FollowMe, EPIANO_3, 2x Airvox], and the mix of those sounds as you move the stick is determined by the matrix to the right; and that movement can be automated. Probably the easiest thing to do starting off is find a patch with one performance and limited parts and start fiddling. The pads will probably be hella complicated; so maybe try a bell sound? I'm not in the studio at the mo but will be able to help more later on if you like...

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

W424 posted:

All the other ones are working just fine on 64bit, the Wavestation doesn't show up on plugin browser.

Okay. I couldn't get any of them to work in 64-bit. All run pretty okay in 32 tho.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Just ordered a Disting. I worry I'll want 2 more as soon as I get it.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.

Sjoewe posted:

Okay. I couldn't get any of them to work in 64-bit. All run pretty okay in 32 tho.

M1 works great in 64 bit Live.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Oldstench posted:

don't worry, you will

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

People do things with the Wavestation besides pick Wave Police and hold keys down for a while?

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Oldstench posted:

Buddy if you don't want two more as soon as you order a new module I don't know if you're really committed to this whole "modular" thing.

breaks
May 12, 2001

By the way for folks in the USA who are interested in some Doepfer modules, the favorable exchange rate makes them a lot cheaper at Thomann than at Analoguehaven. Like 2/3rds the price or even less.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

breaks posted:

By the way for folks in the USA who are interested in some Doepfer modules, the favorable exchange rate makes them a lot cheaper at Thomann than at Analoguehaven. Like 2/3rds the price or even less.

With shipping?

breaks
May 12, 2001

Yeah, especially if you buy several at once. Just in case you didn't already have enough reasons to do that.

As an example a 101-3 is 310 shipped from Thomann and 425+ship from AH. About 30 of that Thomann price is shipping and I think won't change unless you order a ton of stuff, where AH keeps tacking more on for every additional item.

breaks fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 13, 2015

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

breaks posted:

God dammit.

I have 2900 EUR worth of poo poo in a cart there now.

So help me god, if I order this gear, you're paying for my divorce.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Speaking of favorable exchange rates, I'm going to Japan tomorrow and the Yen is at 120 to the dollar. Is there anything cool I should pick up, or any good synth shops to check out? I'm leaning towards buying an SQ-1 and some sort of Volca (probably Bass).

edit: no i'm not buying a goddamn miku stomp

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 14, 2015

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

sofullofhate posted:

God dammit.

I have 2900 EUR worth of poo poo in a cart there now.

So help me god, if I order this gear, you're paying for my divorce.

mattPull the trigger. :devil:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

surrender posted:

Speaking of favorable exchange rates, I'm going to Japan tomorrow and the Yen is at 120 to the dollar. Is there anything cool I should pick up, or any good synth shops to check out? I'm leaning towards buying an SQ-1 and some sort of Volca (probably Bass).

I was very confused for a moment why you were picking up an enormous, heavy Ensoniq keyboard on your trip to Japan

W424
Oct 21, 2010

toadee posted:

I was very confused for a moment why you were picking up an enormous, heavy Ensoniq keyboard on your trip to Japan

Same and not even a particulary cool ensoniq.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Picked up a microphone bit for the littlebits today. Running Orphion on the iPad through a littlebits frequency modulated filter and a delay. A+ would synth again.
Ordered some of the prototyping bits today, when they come in I'm going to have to make a cheapo distortion bit.

Installing the arduino ide onto my lay in bed laptop. This is the week I start working on practicing c, really I mean it this time.

edit: modding the filter bit so it accommodates something akin to keyboard scaling would also be super sweet.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
My lovely rear end town can't respect a moog sub 37 for like 360 dollars off. gently caress this poo poo hole.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

My lovely rear end town can't respect a moog sub 37 for like 360 dollars off. gently caress this poo poo hole.

Especially since they're still backordered by literally months.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Today I favoured buying a new bicycle over a MPC 1000. I might be suffering from retro-GAS.
Should I go see a doctor?

:ohdear:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Sjoewe posted:

Today I favoured buying a new bicycle over a MPC 1000. I might be suffering from retro-GAS.
Should I go see a doctor?

:ohdear:

No, riding the bike regularly will get you into pretty good shape.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Mr. Glass posted:

You want this: http://www.orthogonaldevices.com/er-101

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Sizone posted:

No, riding the bike regularly will get you into pretty good shape.

Is that into a saw, or more of a sinus shape?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Synths and Synthesis MkII: I'll gently caress anything with a pulse wave