Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Kinda disappointed by the lack of any drop, tbh.

Edit:

I command thee to dance.

pseudorandom has a new favorite as of 03:19 on Mar 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Defend? He's just died! Who's attacking him? Cause whoever it is is kind of a huge rear end in a top hat. Is it you? I bet it's you.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
thnks mr. skeltal

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

dialhforhero posted:

thnks mr. skeltal

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

gently caress :(

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

There's nothing stopping you! The man left a legacy that will live on forever :)

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Dabir posted:

Defend? He's just died! Who's attacking him? Cause whoever it is is kind of a huge rear end in a top hat. Is it you? I bet it's you.

Chilli out nerd it was just funny how many people responded instantly to "is he a GoT ripoff"

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Pratchett sucked and was only popular because socially stunted nerds love both fantasy and smug observations about society that make them feel superior. Take a benign social norm, reductio ad absurdum, shoehorn it into a fantasy setting, rake nerd money in, repeat.

Who has two thumbs and is a hack? (he can't raise his thumbs and point at himself because he is dead, but the answer was terry pratchett)

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

thank mr. skeltal

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Chilli out nerd it was just funny how many people responded instantly to "is he a GoT ripoff"

Danger Mahoney posted:

Pratchett sucked and was only popular because socially stunted nerds love both fantasy and smug observations about society that make them feel superior. Take a benign social norm, reductio ad absurdum, shoehorn it into a fantasy setting, rake nerd money in, repeat.

Who has two thumbs and is a hack? (he can't raise his thumbs and point at himself because he is dead, but the answer was terry pratchett)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

PCOS Bill posted:

After you read some Discworld, slip on into some Piers Anthony for a little extra flavor.

Ahhh, because Piers Anthony's special flavour of incest, rape, torture, rape, children eating their own poo poo and rape is just what people would naturally be looking for after reading someone as incredible as Terry Pratchett.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Gorilla Salad posted:

Ahhh, because Piers Anthony's special flavour of incest, rape, torture, rape, children eating their own poo poo and rape is just what people would naturally be looking for after reading someone as incredible as Terry Pratchett.

Yes?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Gorilla Salad posted:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RFC2324 posted:

Don't forget Hogfather, and Going Postal also have great movies for them.
They're OK. Colour of Magic is pretty much garbage. Wyrd Sisters is the best adaptation though.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

All you really need to know is the first three or four Discworld books don't really have the full continuous world going from the later ones. There's a couple minor contradictions to Ankh-Morpork and various little things before it all settles in by around Guards! Guards! into something consistent. You should still start with The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic though.
Why would you advise people to start with the ones that are almost nothing like the vast majority of the series? Start with Wyrd Sisters, Guards! Guards!, Soul Music or Going Postal.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Tiggum posted:

They're OK. Colour of Magic is pretty much garbage. Wyrd Sisters is the best adaptation though.

Why would you advise people to start with the ones that are almost nothing like the vast majority of the series? Start with Wyrd Sisters, Guards! Guards!, Soul Music or Going Postal.

Small Gods is another good stand-alone book, since it takes place a couple hundred years before all the rest of them. Guards! Guards! and all the other night watch books are fantastic. I also love all the books that prominently feature Death.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tiggum posted:

Because they're still good books in their own right? :shrug:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

St Evan Echoes posted:

Pyramids is a good Pratchett starting point because it doesn't involve recurring characters. Also true of Moving Pictures and The Truth (but Pyramids is the best of the three)

This is horrible advice, don't read his weak boss because of lack of recurring characters.

The best starting points are Guards Guards or Mort. If you like them you can read more.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

RFC2324 posted:

Don't forget Hogfather, and Going Postal also have great movies for them.

No. The "Going Postal" movie only a superficial resemblance to the books. It is a bad movie.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

David Jason was an appalling choice for Rincewind.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Amazing. Sometimes memes can absolutely capture the moment perfectly.

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.

theflyingorc posted:

This is horrible advice, don't read his weak boss because of lack of recurring characters.

The best starting points are Guards Guards or Mort. If you like them you can read more.

Have to agree here - Mort is the best book of his early works.

Introducing Deaths extended world and the relationships he's forged with Albert, the death of rats and Death's daughter Ysabell.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Zoinks, that's a spoopy maymay!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Colour of Magic isn't bad per se but it definitely feels separate from the rest of the series. It's just sort of a parody checklist of stuff that happens in a fantasy setting. I read it first and almost didn't bother reading another Discworld book because it felt kinda of :effort: I read Guards! Guards! second and would definitely recommend it as a starting point, although The Light Fantastic isn't a bad spot if you'd want to begin earlier in the series, and does establish a few things that get brought up in later books.

Pratchett always had the keenest understanding of human nature of any author I've ever read, even when his characters weren't human.

Only read the Xanth novels if you like to read about fantasy creatures' tits.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
That amount of polyester clothing, plus fire, plus alcohol, plus impaired vision, seems like a wonderful idea.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
On that topic I can't help but notice that nothing is actually on fire in that pic. Someone help them.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Karate Bastard posted:

On that topic I can't help but notice that nothing is actually on fire in that pic. Someone help them.

The drinks are props too. They're cargo-culting masculinity.

The hunting blind behind them tells me they are "ironically" hunting humans. Probably juveniles.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Karate Bastard posted:

I doubt they dare to sit around any kind of open fire in those suits. The suit material is probably flammable as heck on its own but you also have to think about the build up of bodily odours,sweat and gasses coming from the furry inside those suits. They are basically bombs just waiting to go off.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Because they're still good books in their own right? :shrug:

Relatively few of Pratchett's books were weak. Monstrous Regiment was pretty "meh" but Guards! Guards! was fantastic, Mort was great, and Faust Eric is also a pretty good one. Interesting Times was good as well. You don't need to read them in chronological order or any order at all. Pratchett actually said that he didn't really care much about consistency or anything like that. He focused on making funny books with good stories. Notice that there are no maps of Discworld. The world was whatever he needed it to be at the moment. But yeah, you can probably just grab any old Pratchett book off the shelf and start there. If you like it then go read the rest.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Danger Mahoney posted:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I agree, if there's one group of people that would find no benefit in extremely plainly stated lessons about how to be less of a piece of poo poo, it's fantasy novel readers and nerds. I for one would like to see both of those groups continue on in complete ignorance of how terrible they are. Thank you.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
PYF macros and other dumb poo poo: Pratchett-chat with a brief intermission for fursuits.

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Notice that there are no maps of Discworld.

Ahem...

e: I see your point though

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gruffalo Soldier posted:

Ahem...

e: I see your point though

Pratchett also said it was "basically impossible to map it" because continents came and went or sometimes just exploded.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

A BUNCH OF NEW POSTS IN THE MEME THREAD?! OH BOY!

10 minutes of this poo poo later....

gently caress.

• Locked thread