Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Steam does kinda bait that compulsive behavior though, if people didn't buy games idiotically because they're on offer their sales wouldn't be such a cornerstone of their business. It's still possible to be a savy consumer and take advantage of them just to get the one or two cut price titles you actually want but it's kinda sleazy they're selling them that way to begin with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
im a games poster and therefore unable to understand that sales existed before steam

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

im a games poster and therefore unable to understand that sales existed before steam

Black Friday is a prime example of healthy human interaction, for instance

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
life is sleazy, grab it by the balls and caress it till it comes up winning

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ah yes, i remember when people were trampled to death while trying to log into steam

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

ah yes, i remember when people were trampled to death while trying to log into steam

I'm guessing your trolling but whatever, I was only pointing out sales have always been kinda sleazy and preyed on peoples stupidity

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
Selling things for less money is a crime

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

I'm reporting steam to the department of commerce as we speak

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I'm guessing your trolling but whatever, I was only pointing out sales have always been kinda sleazy and preyed on peoples stupidity

well it's true that sales cause people to buy things that they may not really want and would not have bought otherwise, but I feel that a condemnation of sales might as well extend to a condemnation of advertising, which is not a worthwhile position imo.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
actually i think we should be placed in to dark rooms and sensory deprivated to get the best possible experience at life.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I vote for Anime Marxism.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Steam does kinda bait that compulsive behavior though, if people didn't buy games idiotically because they're on offer their sales wouldn't be such a cornerstone of their business. It's still possible to be a savy consumer and take advantage of them just to get the one or two cut price titles you actually want but it's kinda sleazy they're selling them that way to begin with

How is this any different from the brick and mortar stores which offer seasonal sales prices on games, or anything, or even Amazon, which offers many sales?

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

To be fair it's wrong to take advantage of the mentally ill.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

We all must make our concessions to the great juggernaut known as capitalism, and if the one I make is buying things when they are hitting me with slightly less of a ridiculous upcharge, then so be it. full steam ahead.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ehhhh I really didn't want to go into a dissertation on the psychology of advertising in the Games Chat thread let's just forget I said anything

Problem Sleuth posted:

Selling things for less money is a crime

Problem Sleuth posted:

I'm reporting steam to the department of commerce as we speak

But let's not do this either, putting words in peoples mouths is really obnoxious and uncalled for

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

"Sales are bad because my compulsive tendency to vacuum up anything that appeals to my impaired judgement and lack of pattern understanding like an obese Labrador eating an entire jar of mayonnaise, throwing it up and eating it again without understanding why it feels sick is the fault of my parents, crazy ted the toilet bully, sociertys lack of appreciation for the needs of the introvert and Gabe Newell." - a gaming goon

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

One great thing about Steam sales is I can buy last season's flavour of the month AAA game for £7.99 and still be disappointed with my purchase, that a hell of alot higher dissatisfaction:price ratio!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I do agree that Steam encourages impulse buys especially with the flash sales, but if you're not an idiot and you have a single ounce of self-restraint, there's nothing wrong with it. Yeah the lowest common denominator will fall for it every time but who gives a gently caress about them it's their money they're wasting on games they won't play.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
loving hell i cannot believe ive been tricked into buying goods and services yet again

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

it's sometimes very good sometimes having the OCD that is obsessed with not spending money at all, and constantly obsessing over a spreadsheet of once's finances, as opposed to the kind of OCD that involves compulsive purchases to fill a collection.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It helps to have a wife though, so that when you're like "Do we really need a potato masher?" there is a person to convince you that the answer is yes.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
roughly a third (about 36%) of all steam games are never played even once. fact

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I just find steam to be a convenient platform for games I already know that I want to play. I think I only own the Myst games, Portal 1-2, and and maybe one or two others I'm forgetting, so I am probably not the average steam user, but it's always worked better than the stuff I bought on disc. Once I had to rename that dot blob thing like everybody does.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

anyway, how in the heck else would you play PC games? buy a physical DVD disc? yeah, okay. maybe if it's the renaissance and you want to pay a horse drawn carriage a few ducats to take you the marketplace.

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

I have a steam library full of games I don't play, but never once have I come to the conclusion that it's steam's fault for swindling me out of my money

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Excels posted:

This does not make Steam or sales on Steam scams of any kind you dope.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

People keep giving me crap out of indie bundles so I have a huge pile of unplayed Steam games.

Anyone want to play Worms Armageddon?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The only game I've ever bought on Steam (other than indie games for pennies) that I have no interest in playing ever is Overlord 1. It was cheap and I bought it but I played like an hour of the second one that I got in the same bundle and it was awful.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

The only game I've ever bought on Steam (other than indie games for pennies) that I have no interest in playing ever is Overlord 1. It was cheap and I bought it but I played like an hour of the second one that I got in the same bundle and it was awful.

1s better but still bad imho

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Problem Sleuth posted:

I have a steam library full of games I don't play, but never once have I come to the conclusion that it's steam's fault for swindling me out of my money

codenameFANGIO posted:

This does not make Steam or sales on Steam scams of any kind you dope.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Excels posted:

why don't people realize steam is a massive scam, oh boy another sale, can't wait to put 20 more games on my list of poo poo I'll Probably Never Even Install

Lmfao

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Excels posted:

Oh, well clearly what people do with their games is steam's fault

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
oh my loving god, a second time today ive been conned into buying something i needed. when will the capitalism end?!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

VideoGames posted:

oh my loving god, a second time today ive been conned into buying something i needed. when will the capitalism end?!
As soon as I finish writing this manifesto.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

capitalism is cool and good, especially when combined with a left-liberal reformist regulatory schema

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

capitalism is cool and good, especially when combined with a left-liberal reformist regulatory schema

I guess you never played Civ IV

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Adam Bowen posted:

Game of the Decade Rayman Legends

how can anyone not buy this at 10 bucks come on you assholes do it

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

elf help book posted:

Please don't buy Ubisoft games.

buy rayman and if you feel like it call of juarez gunslinger

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

People keep giving me crap out of indie bundles so I have a huge pile of unplayed Steam games.

this and an exhorbitant amount of gifts account for over 70% of my steam library

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

ArfJason posted:

buy rayman and if you feel like it call of juarez gunslinger

• Locked thread