Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Ashcans posted:

Drawing him with bulging veins makes him look really aggressive and rage-y. I don't know if that was the intent, but its the sort of thing you see on people like Bane, not just generally buff heroes.

Unfortunately, too many writers are stuck on the happy, always-smiling, cornball Superman of the Silver Age. They think the way to make him accessible to a modern audience is to go the other way and make him grim and brooding and EDGY. Because, you know, bloody fists are what I totally want to see when I open a Superman comic.

anyway. I don't hate WW's new costume as much as some folks on this thread, although I agree the wrist blades are doofy and I kind of wish the metallic bits were silver, not gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I just don't understand why anyone would want to redesign the Flash's costume. Him and Spider-Man have costumes that are about as perfect as a costume can be.

That Wonder Woman looks awful. Of all the designs they could of went with, they went with that mess of spandex and armor.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

qntm posted:

Are the boots high-heeled?

There's no point in asking, is there?

Nobody seems to have a picture that shows them.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Flash's costume looks superficially the same, except two red tones and a bunch of extra lightning bolts stuck on. A shining example of complication for the sake of complication.

I don't mind the chest logo changing to look closer to the TV series one, though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's sorta amazing they could make a Superman costume that so clearly evokes the one he had in Grant Morrison's Action Comics while completely missing the point of why it worked.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The two-tone/texture look of the Flash design is also clearly meant to evoke the TV suit, which has some non-leather panels in it.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Honest Thief posted:

So this happened

Sups looks like a dude, not even The Dude, and Wonder Woman has a weird priest vibe going for.
Congrats DC, for making comics boring looking.

Is Cyclops blowing up a Sentinel behind them?

Also, that is not Superman hair.

Mister Mind fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 13, 2015

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I was focusing so much on the outfit, I only just noticed the gore on his fists. :stare:

Skwirl posted:

It's sorta amazing they could make a Superman costume that so clearly evokes the one he had in Grant Morrison's Action Comics while completely missing the point of why it worked.

Also, this. I liked the rolled up jeans, short cape, and brighter colors so much better, looking more like corn-fed farmboy hero than pissed off pro-wrestler dripping blood off his knuckles. WTF?

WW's wristblades are terrible on so many levels.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Why is there a laser warning sign on that cover?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

It's a watermark for the Nerdist.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

That's a watermark for The Nerdist.

e: so this is what it feels like

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wish I could see what SM/WW's Doug Mahnke was doing with those costumes rather than the doofus they're using for the cover.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

In my ongoing quest to have the worst opinions, Blue Collar Superman with Super Anger Issues is kinda badass.

WW's new costume is pretty cool, but yeah, the boots are way too high.

Edit: I made a brief search for the Batman redesign but didn't seem to find much, anything available?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

NotAnArtist posted:

I made a brief search for the Batman redesign but didn't seem to find much, anything available?

I'm not sure we know for sure that's Bruce in there yet, but...

Batman
Detective Comics
Batgirl
Batman/Superman

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

So, basically what you'd get if Robocop had a baby with Arthur from The Tick.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Gun-totin' cyberbatman is quite a stretch, hrm.

What's up with his rabbit ears?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They are supposed to be bat ears.

No one will ever see that. So how that design got approved is beyond me.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I was focusing so much on the outfit, I only just noticed the gore on his fists. :stare:
It looks less like gore and more like he's just using shreds of his cape as makeshift sparring gloves to protect his famously sensitive knuckles from getting torn up while punching.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So are those non-lethal missile racks or...?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

It looks less like gore and more like he's just using shreds of his cape as makeshift sparring gloves to protect his famously sensitive knuckles from getting torn up while punching.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

404GoonNotFound posted:

So are those non-lethal missile racks or...?

Rubber payloads. Honest.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
So now glasses and a logo are literally the only things separating Clark Kent from Superman?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

VagueRant posted:

So now glasses and a logo are literally the only things separating Clark Kent from Superman?

And a wig, presumably. The "Chris Evans as Lucas Lee" look isn't exactly easy to turn into anything else.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ghostlight posted:

Except for the blood on his feet and splattered all over the ground beneath his fists.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Holy poo poo that is awful. I mean:

A: he's a rabbit
B: He's Iron Man, but goth
C: Everything about that suit undermines almost everything about what Batman is generally "supposed to be."
D: Rabbit

Ho-ly poo poo, what the gently caress DC.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you haven't been keeping up, Batman loving loves robot suits in the New 52. This'll be at least his fourth.

:cool:

It isn't even gonna be the craziest mech suit in Snyder's run. The last one we saw had all sorts of insane gadgets designed to beat a Justice League turned bad, including a fist with miniaturized red suns in the knuckles for Superman.

e: The new one has Pikachu tail ears. It's adorable!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 13, 2015

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

It's a robot suit that's basically Appleseed which may not even have Bruce in it. It's nowhere near wtf DC territory.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I hope it's Azrael, who's now a gigantic otaku.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ha, what is Aquaman doing to that suit? Hot bubbles?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FabioClone posted:

Ha, what is Aquaman doing to that suit? Hot bubbles?

Quenching it, I assume. And then enjoying some fine dining from those poor octopi who were forced to hold the SUN-FORGED ARMOR, rear end in a top hat.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Seriously, just picture this every time you see it.

Who can be mad at that?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Every time my nerd rage gets its panties in a bunch I count to ten and remember it is just a comic and therefore the dumbest thing to get mad about

The Appleseed analogue helps

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't read DC but why are they doing company wide costume designs?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

zoux posted:

I don't read DC but why are they doing company wide costume designs?

They are moving from New York to LA and a lot of editors are leaving/new people coming on because of it. DC are using it as an attempt at a mini-relaunch/rebranding.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

They are moving from New York to LA and a lot of editors are leaving/new people coming on because of it. DC are using it as an attempt at a mini-relaunch/rebranding.

Didn't new 52 just come out?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Waterhaul posted:

It's been far too long since the last one.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

Didn't new 52 just come out?

Like three and a half years ago

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

I don't keep up with these things, so is Batman some sort of mecha sci fi manga now?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

If you haven't been keeping up, Batman loving loves robot suits in the New 52. This'll be at least his fourth.

:cool:

It isn't even gonna be the craziest mech suit in Snyder's run. The last one we saw had all sorts of insane gadgets designed to beat a Justice League turned bad, including a fist with miniaturized red suns in the knuckles for Superman.

e: The new one has Pikachu tail ears. It's adorable!

It's nice to see Batman making mecha suits for himself. Hell it's the first thing I'd do if I became a billionaire.

I also like that the hellbat is held up by chains, for no discernible reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Monaghan posted:

I also like that the hellbat is held up by chains, for no discernible reason.
How else would you lift an armor forged in the sun, Oa, The Speed Force (How does that work?) and that got a new coat of molten mythological-steel without burning yourself.

• Locked thread