Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Gatts posted:

Raised Ticket prices? To see what? I can go find a dumpster fire elsewhere. Haslam tries to sell his bullshit but like his Flying J scheme it's just to keep the team bad and take in money from those who pay to see them.

Why would you spend that sort of money on this poo poo show?

Hell I've moved it over to other sports, movies and other things. I've not bought a new piece of Browns merch since like..2011 or so. The Browns should be PAYING the fans, not the other way around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HarlanHell
Nov 16, 2012

Nevermind that shit here comes Mingo!

FuzzySkinner posted:

Why would you spend that sort of money on this poo poo show?

Hell I've moved it over to other sports, movies and other things. I've not bought a new piece of Browns merch since like..2011 or so. The Browns should be PAYING the fans, not the other way around.

Yup. I stopped going to games, and buying merch around 2009. They'll won't get another dollar from me till they earn it. Sometimes I wish the Browns had never come back, so that this disaster of a franchise wouldn't have made the Browns a laughing stock. I honestly think I'd be a happier person if Cleveland had come back to the NFLwith some new generic team like the bulldogs or some poo poo. The Browns should've died after Model ripped out the foundations of the franchise and slunk off to Baltimore with them. I think anyone who was a fan of the pre 99 Browns have started to come around to the realization that this team will never be the one we lost even though we managed to save the colors and history.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Thad Lewis loving owns.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
This is mccown town.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Honestly I can't shake the feeling that we simply saved the Browns from themselves when the inevitable happens and Jordan Cameron gets knocked into sheer mental retardation

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Honestly I can't shake the feeling that we simply saved the Browns from themselves when the inevitable happens and Jordan Cameron gets knocked into sheer mental retardation

yeah we are the dolphins so something horrible is going to happen.

But it's pretty cool that he only has 5 million guaranteed this year. The rest is bonuses based on availability/performance.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Is it just me, or are there more disastrous owners of a certain type than ever? All new-money, CEO types that think they know everything, running teams into the ground. There seem to be so many franchises with these guys at the helm, and no hope whatsoever to improve. Cleveland, San Francisco, Washington, Dallas. There havenever been this many hopeless teams for reasons completely larger than football.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Dallas is a hopeless team?

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I wish the Browns were as hopeless as the Cowboys.

That'd be a really fun season for me.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

sean10mm posted:

0.13 adjusted net yards per attempt.

Sorry to go a little offtrack, but how is this particular stat calculated?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Detective Thompson posted:

I want to say that's like the opposite of a receiver's Yards After Catch, basically how far did the ball go down the field

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Detective Thompson posted:

ANY/A - adjusted net yards per passing attempt: (pass yards + 20*(pass TD) - 45*(interceptions thrown) - sack yards)/(passing attempts + sacks).

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/about/glossary.htm

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yea

Ehud posted:

yeah we are the dolphins so something horrible is going to happen.

But it's pretty cool that he only has 5 million guaranteed this year. The rest is bonuses based on availability/performance.

yeah it's a very Dolphins friendly contract. If we go through another "oh hey a shithead player cheap shot our new toy out of a season!" Situation like last year were not really hurt. Just don't schedule a team with DJ on it (SHOTS FIRED INTRUDER!)

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Yea

yeah it's a very Dolphins friendly contract. If we go through another "oh hey a shithead player cheap shot our new toy out of a season!" Situation like last year were not really hurt. Just don't schedule a team with DJ on it (SHOTS FIRED INTRUDER!)

For real, gently caress DJ Swearinger. He was my nomination in the 2014 Douche-offs.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
If a Texans fan is defending Swearinger they must be wearing the same blinders that keep him from seeing 80% of the human body.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

Is it just me, or are there more disastrous owners of a certain type than ever? All new-money, CEO types that think they know everything, running teams into the ground. There seem to be so many franchises with these guys at the helm, and no hope whatsoever to improve. Cleveland, San Francisco, Washington, Dallas. There havenever been this many hopeless teams for reasons completely larger than football.

I wouldn't lump Dallas in there. Jerry actually played football and has owned the team a while, he's not new money. Also his ideas of a good franchise worked before the salary cap era. But the other dudes, yeah you're right. Interestingly those guys in the NBA are generally hiring competent GMs and making innovations.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

AsInHowe posted:

I don't quite see San Fransisco and Dallas as "hopeless".

The thing is with Cleveland is we've seen this franchise ran with both a "hands off" and "hands on" approach. Both have been for the lack of a better word poo poo, but at the very least Haslam seems to have an idea of when the team looks like complete poo poo and seems willing to pull the plug.

I've been struggling to just pin point the cause of this poo poo since I've been a fan. i really, honestly want it to loving stop, and get this thing kickstarted. I agree with what Chip Kelly said recently about how you really have a year to get things going? That's the attitude the Browns have to start taking and no more of this "Rebuilding" bullshit and 5 year plans that would have made Stalin go "drat son".

HarlanHell posted:

Yup. I stopped going to games, and buying merch around 2009. They'll won't get another dollar from me till they earn it. Sometimes I wish the Browns had never come back, so that this disaster of a franchise wouldn't have made the Browns a laughing stock. I honestly think I'd be a happier person if Cleveland had come back to the NFLwith some new generic team like the bulldogs or some poo poo. The Browns should've died after Model ripped out the foundations of the franchise and slunk off to Baltimore with them. I think anyone who was a fan of the pre 99 Browns have started to come around to the realization that this team will never be the one we lost even though we managed to save the colors and history.

It would seem in retrospect that the best option would have been us pulling a "Baltimore" and taking an existing franchise from someone. Cleveland itself came close to taking the Broncos. Bengals and Bucs back in the day. Any of those three would have been amazingly prefable to the poo poo sandwich the NFL served us and has been serving us since 1999.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sean10mm posted:

ANY/A - adjusted net yards per passing attempt: (pass yards + 20*(pass TD) - 45*(interceptions thrown) - sack yards)/(passing attempts + sacks).

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/about/glossary.htm

To add on to this a little bit AY/A was developed a surprisingly long time ago (1988? That's when the book that explains their reasoning came out), the adjusted net yards/attempt just adds sack numbers in.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

FuzzySkinner posted:

I don't quite see San Fransisco and Dallas as "hopeless".

The thing is with Cleveland is we've seen this franchise ran with both a "hands off" and "hands on" approach. Both have been for the lack of a better word poo poo, but at the very least Haslam seems to have an idea of when the team looks like complete poo poo and seems willing to pull the plug.

I've been struggling to just pin point the cause of this poo poo since I've been a fan. i really, honestly want it to loving stop, and get this thing kickstarted. I agree with what Chip Kelly said recently about how you really have a year to get things going? That's the attitude the Browns have to start taking and no more of this "Rebuilding" bullshit and 5 year plans that would have made Stalin go "drat son".

It would seem in retrospect that the best option would have been us pulling a "Baltimore" and taking an existing franchise from someone. Cleveland itself came close to taking the Broncos. Bengals and Bucs back in the day. Any of those three would have been amazingly prefable to the poo poo sandwich the NFL served us and has been serving us since 1999.

Point blank, I wish the team had never come back at this point. I was so loving hyped as a late teenager when there were countdown clocks around the city for when the Browns were returning. I remember the one in Tower City in particular. And the city got to keep the Browns name and history!

gently caress, at this point if it were the Baltimore Browns they would have just racked up 2 SB titles, a shitload of playoff runs and a whole bunch of wins that get tacked onto the history. The Browns have all of 2 playoff trips in the past 25 years to their name. Its loving embarrassing.

You'd think after Modell the team would have met its bad karma requirements for many decades. Fucker fired Paul Brown, which directly led to the birth of the Bengals, who managed to get to (and lose but better than Cleveland has ever done) 2 SBs in the 80s while Brown was still alive and involved, and then moved the team and made the Ravens. Fucker created two major rivals for the Browns. Then loving Al Lerner gets to buy the new Browns 2.0 team. rear end in a top hat was a huge player in moving the team to begin with because he wanted a team and was denied a Baltimore expansion franchise. Then his shithead son quietly neglected things for 10 years until his dad's will allowed him to sell the team. The new owner is an unabashed crook and liar with a mercurial temper and penchant for meddling.

I'd love to be able to just say gently caress it and be this much of a fan of another team but I can't do it. I think I'd be more liable to just ignore the NFL like a lot of my older relatives ended up doing years ago because of this poo poo.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
There's no way Haslam is better than Lerner. Haslam is horrible

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

@SarahSpain: A source tells me Johnny Manziel left rehab this afternoon. Spent just over six weeks in the facility.”

let's send him a card

we are all rooting for you -tff

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Can't wait for the first TMZ photos of Johnny leaving a nightclub.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

NC-17 posted:

Can't wait for the first TMZ photos of Johnny leaving a nightclub.

That implies he plans on ever leaving the first one he sees

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Raku posted:

That implies he plans on ever leaving the first one he sees

Speaking of Johnny and nightlife wasn't Detroit_Dogg bar hopping in cleveland for a bit trying to bump into Johnny?

I can't remember if he managed to succeed.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Lane Adkins says one of his sources inside the Browns org. told him that Manziel is still in rehab receiving treatment but his program has been adjusted.

Mary Kay Cabot, whom everyone seems to hate, also tweeted the same thing.

goc
Mar 26, 2013

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
So Josh McCown and Johnny Manziel is definitely the worst QB situation right now isn't it? I realize that Brian Hoyer isn't really a top tier QB but McCown SUCKS and Manziel doesn't even belong on an NFL field the way he looked last year. Browns needed to keep Hoyer.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001

goc posted:

So Josh McCown and Johnny Manziel is definitely the worst QB situation right now isn't it? I realize that Brian Hoyer isn't really a top tier QB but McCown SUCKS and Manziel doesn't even belong on an NFL field the way he looked last year. Browns needed to keep Hoyer.

Hey man, don't go forgetting about the Browns blockbuster signing of Thaddeus Lewis, rejoining the Browns after a 2 season odyssey elsewhere.

And Manziel 2.0 in Connor Shaw. In just his rookie season he BLED for the Browns. Out of his dick after his one and only start to end the season, but it still counts.

E: So Sarah Spain is apparently confirming how this came about. Manziel left briefly for a trip. The source was his girlfriend posting a picture on Instagram of them eating Chipotle on a plane together. This sounded stupid and fake to me because his GF deleted it fairly quickly but nope, the ESPN reporter was sent it.

say no to bats fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 14, 2015

goc
Mar 26, 2013

he knows...

say no to bats posted:

Hey man, don't go forgetting about the Browns blockbuster signing of Thaddeus Lewis, rejoining the Browns after a 2 season odyssey elsewhere.

And Manziel 2.0 in Connor Shaw. In just his rookie season he BLED for the Browns. Out of his dick after his one and only start to end the season, but it still counts.

E: So Sarah Spain is apparently confirming how this came about. Manziel left briefly for a trip. The source was his girlfriend posting a picture on Instagram of them eating Chipotle on a plane together. This sounded stupid and fake to me because his GF deleted it fairly quickly but nope, the ESPN reporter was sent it.

I missed the Thaddeus Lewis signing. I watched, I think, all of the games he started for the Bills in 2013. He's the best QB on the roster. :(

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Ehud posted:

@SarahSpain: A source tells me Johnny Manziel left rehab this afternoon. Spent just over six weeks in the facility.”

let's send him a card

we are all rooting for you -tff

I don't think it's nice to lie to a guy right after he gets out of rehab.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

say no to bats posted:

Point blank, I wish the team had never come back at this point.

This is ridiculous. Your teams sucks so you wish they ceased to exist?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Yaws posted:

This is ridiculous. Your teams sucks so you wish they ceased to exist?

i think he is saying he wishes they didn't comeback as the browns so people would remember the browns as a proud winning organization rather than the freak show it is now

goc
Mar 26, 2013

he knows...
TBH, I'm really more of a fan of watching football than I am a fan of any one team. I watch football differently than most people, where I subscribe the NFL Game Rewind and just ignore football on Sunday until the games get posted at 12AM Monday morning. Then I spend about 4-5 hours watching games in Condensed Mode so I can usually watch around 8-10 games a week.

If I didn't watch EVERY Browns game last season, I watched at least 13. I really did start to root for the Browns when it looked like they might make the playoffs and after reading the OP about all the bullshit in the front office, I'm even more impressed with the job Mike Pettine did last year. Unfortunately I think the Browns are about to swap out with the Raiders or the Jags on my 2015 watching schedule. I don't think anyone can embarrass Manziel any more than the Bengals did last season so there isn't even that to be entertained by.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

say no to bats posted:

Point blank, I wish the team had never come back at this point.

gently caress, at this point if it were the Baltimore Browns they would have just racked up 2 SB titles, a shitload of playoff runs and a whole bunch of wins that get tacked onto the history. The Browns have all of 2 playoff trips in the past 25 years to their name. Its loving embarrassing.

I agree with a lot of this. It some how is worse to me that we kept the name and the colors- because all the actual 'tradition' is non-existent. That exists with Baltimore. Why open wounds from the past by re-using name and colors when we could have started out fresh with something new and something not tied to the past?

Still, even if we were the Cleveland Whatevers with Eggplant Purple and Seafoam Green, it still wouldn't have been a team worth having because all of the bullshit that has happened would still have happened. Only difference, we wouldn't have had fans stick around as long.

I'm not completely joking when I say ship this lovely rear end team to Toronto. I'd rather not have football than be a fan of this franchise.

HarlanHell
Nov 16, 2012

Nevermind that shit here comes Mingo!

say no to bats posted:

No way would I ever want a Baltimore Browns. In fact I think that if a team moves they should be forced to leave the colors, and history with the city. It works as both a small mea culpa to the fans screwed over by the move, and a slight deterrent to the owner by making them create a new brand. The only exception would be if the team moves around in the same state like the Raiders. Also keeps leagues from ending up with stupid poo poo like the Utah Jazz.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.
You're all dumb. I'd much rather have bad-Browns than no-Browns.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Thad Lewis is serviceable as gently caress. I mean that in the best way possible.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

MonsterWalk posted:

You're all dumb. I'd much rather have a husband that beats me than no husband

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Sometimes I wonder how much of the Browns misfortunes can be tied to the Division they are in.

The Browns, over the last decade, have never been the absolute worst team, but they have always felt like it. I think a lot of that is because they are rivals with arguably the best collectively run division in the league. The Ravens inherited the office of the original Browns, the Rooneys are self-explanatory, and even though the Bengals are less successful they have a surprisingly stable and patient front office who I do not think I have ever seen overreact or make a less-than-prudent decision.

Like, imagine if the Colts and Browns changed divisions. I do not think they would look nearly as hopeless against Houston, Jacksonville, and Tennessee and Indy would probably not look nearly as dominant.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Sometimes I wonder how much of the Browns misfortunes can be tied to the Division they are in.

The Browns, over the last decade, have never been the absolute worst team, but they have always felt like it. I think a lot of that is because they are rivals with arguably the best collectively run division in the league. The Ravens inherited the office of the original Browns, the Rooneys are self-explanatory, and even though the Bengals are less successful they have a surprisingly stable and patient front office who I do not think I have ever seen overreact or make a less-than-prudent decision.

Like, imagine if the Colts and Browns changed divisions. I do not think they would look nearly as hopeless against Houston, Jacksonville, and Tennessee and Indy would probably not look nearly as dominant.

I just relayed this idea to a friend and he immediately said "Browns would be 10 time consecutive champions"

I agree, too. It's amazing how theyr'e not even that bad but they're so, so hopeless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Switch them with the Patriots and they would have won the AFC:E at few times as well.

• Locked thread