Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I have a hero 616. It is quite leaky at the tip and seams. Is this just the Hero 616 or is this issue also a problem with the Parker 51? I had an embarrassing moment with ink on my hands before seeing a patient today... I might consider getting a real Parker 51 if they are less problematic than the heros.

I also use noodler's bulletproof black which I do see also gets pretty drippy in my hero 9296. Do other inks behave differently in terms of drippiness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

GoldenNugget posted:

I have a hero 616. It is quite leaky at the tip and seams. Is this just the Hero 616 or is this issue also a problem with the Parker 51? I had an embarrassing moment with ink on my hands before seeing a patient today... I might consider getting a real Parker 51 if they are less problematic than the heros.

I also use noodler's bulletproof black which I do see also gets pretty drippy in my hero 9296. Do other inks behave differently in terms of drippiness?

Try diluting your Noodler's with 3:1 ink to water and see if that helps. Noodler's puts a lot of surfactants in their inks to improve flow, but with some pens it can be too much. Adding water back increases the surface tension and makes the ink less "drippy".

As for your 616, well, it's a $2 pen. Sometimes you just have to expect some issues.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

GoldenNugget posted:

There's a reason Hero sell 616s in packs of 10. That's the minimum number you need to buy in order to guarantee getting a decent pen. I've been messing around with a few different Hero pens recently, and the 9296 is the only consistently reliable one I've found. Still, I did recently follow the advice in the thread name and order a Pilot Metro. It arrived this morning along with a Pilot Penmanship EF. One quick nib change later, and I'm very happy indeed. It writes smoother, finer, and sits much better in the hand. Get one.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

grack posted:

Try diluting your Noodler's with 3:1 ink to water and see if that helps. Noodler's puts a lot of surfactants in their inks to improve flow, but with some pens it can be too much. Adding water back increases the surface tension and makes the ink less "drippy".

As for your 616, well, it's a $2 pen. Sometimes you just have to expect some issues.

Yeah I'll try out the 3:1 trick.

Soylent Yellow posted:

There's a reason Hero sell 616s in packs of 10. That's the minimum number you need to buy in order to guarantee getting a decent pen. I've been messing around with a few different Hero pens recently, and the 9296 is the only consistently reliable one I've found. Still, I did recently follow the advice in the thread name and order a Pilot Metro. It arrived this morning along with a Pilot Penmanship EF. One quick nib change later, and I'm very happy indeed. It writes smoother, finer, and sits much better in the hand. Get one.

Yeah I do have a metro with an EF nib and it's pretty fantastic.

So is the parker 51 similar in that it leaks a lot here and there like the 616? Or is it just the noodler ink I'm using? I'm just considering to get a parker 51 since I do like the style of it and the 616 feels a bit too cheap to me.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

GoldenNugget posted:

So is the parker 51 similar in that it leaks a lot here and there like the 616? Or is it just the noodler ink I'm using? I'm just considering to get a parker 51 since I do like the style of it and the 616 feels a bit too cheap to me.

The Hero and the Parker 51 aren't comparable in any way except that they look similar.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Bulletproof Black is a very leaky ink, IME.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

GoldenNugget posted:

The difference between a Hero 616 and a Parker 51 is vast and incalculable. Parker 51s are solidly built, do not leak, and have a heft in the hand completely lacking from the Hero clones, and the writing experience is far, far better.

My 51 is one of my favorite pens -- top 3, along with the Lamy 2000 and the Visconti Homo Sapiens.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

GoldenNugget posted:

Do other inks behave differently in terms of drippiness?

No FPs should not leak unless the filling system has some flaw or you happen to be going on a airplane trip soon. The hero 616 just is what it is meaning it's going to be imperfect and flawed but cheap enough that people won't suddenly decide to write up 2-3 letters of complaint to their main HQ.

The P51 is a very reliable pen regardless if some people have a love/hate relationship with it's futuristic design elements.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a crisis.

I have three Pilot Metro pens. One is black with the alligator skin, one is silver with the zig-zags, and one is bronze with lizard skin.

I have three nibs: medium, fine, and chisel

I have three inks: black, royal blue, and blood red

How should I combine these?

edit: I write in cursive

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 13, 2015

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have a crisis.

I have three Pilot Metro pens. One is black with the alligator skin, one is silver with the zig-zags, and one is bronze with lizard skin.

I have three nibs: medium, fine, and chisel

I have three inks: black, royal blue, and blood red

How should I combine these?

edit: I write in cursive

My brain says Aligator/Red/Chisel, Silver/Black/fine, and Bronze/Blue/Medium, but that's just me I guess :P

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

EnsGDT posted:

My brain says Aligator/Red/Chisel, Silver/Black/fine, and Bronze/Blue/Medium, but that's just me I guess :P

Ditto

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

EnsGDT posted:

Ditto. You've got something flashy to look at with flashy writing, a sleek workhorse type, and something with a nib just big enough to be expressive and an ink with color for character.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I washed out my nib, but it was stuck in the pen so I just ran some water through it until it was clear. However, it seems the nib wasn't dry all the way before I refilled it, so my ink is slightly washed-out. What's the easiest way to remedy this? Write a bunch with it? Leave the cap off so it dries? Leave the cap on so it.. does something?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
It'll sort itself out in a few lines, or you could just wait a bit. Don't leave it uncapped, though. That'll just make it annoying to start later. Either way it'll be sorted out reasonably quick, unless the feed was entirely waterlogged or something.

I usually just stick pens in a little cup with a paper towel in it for a couple hours to dry unless I'm in a rush, and that's usually adequate.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
Anything wrong with the Parker 51 demi version? All I can see about it is that it has slightly smaller dimensions and is meant for women whatever that means.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

GoldenNugget posted:

Anything wrong with the Parker 51 demi version? All I can see about it is that it has slightly smaller dimensions and is meant for women whatever that means.

Not at all. I'm pretty sure that the vac demi has the same girth as the full size while the aero demi is a little thinner.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

GoldenNugget posted:

No, nothing wrong with it as it's a great pocket pen too. Although, the aero demi's cap is smaller than the regular P51 one. Some people find it difficult to write with unposted but I like mine all the same.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I had the opportunity to grope an acrylic Neponset at a local shop. Very impressed with the heft and polished feel, very unlike what I am used to from a Noodler's pen. We went there to try some higher end pens and wound up walking away with a Pilot Falcon in SF. Thinking very hard about going back and grabbing a Neponset since all the cool ones are out of stock everywhere.

Also, has PR solved their mold issues yet? $8.50 for a bottle of ink is mighty tempting.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Remora posted:

Also, has PR solved their mold issues yet? $8.50 for a bottle of ink is mighty tempting.

If do happen to get a SITB issue if you contact PR customer service they will mail you a new ink and take back the old one. At least that's what I heard w/other ink companies and inks going bad for no reason.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
If anyone has a big boner about The Desiderata Pen Company, the webstore re-opens Monday at 11am CST.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Alder posted:

If do happen to get a SITB issue if you contact PR customer service they will mail you a new ink and take back the old one. At least that's what I heard w/other ink companies and inks going bad for no reason.

Yeah I got a replacement for my moldy ink and that one molded in less than a month. Gave up on PR after that.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
So my sister has been helping me out with a ton of things lately and I was thinking of getting her a nice, no hassle fountain pen. I'm not sure about nib size but since she's had no experience with them I'm guessing medium would be a good place to start? I know a metro is great and all but I want to get her something a bit nicer. Lamy's are nice (I like my charcoal safari despite it's huge rear end EF nib...) but don't look that aesthetically pleasing to me due to being more overbuilt like german things are. I did see the vanishing point which would be good for quickly writing a note here and there (I do want one myself) but I'm worried that is a bit too much maintenance and could be somewhat problematic.

How do you guys go about buying gift pens for people?

Also I'm thinking of getting a journal/journal paper. Something that I can add paper to whenever I want so I don't have to worry about making a new volume. Any suggestions? I've seen the midori traveler's notebook but was curious if there are other options.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Is there any risk of a Vanishing Point leaking when tipped on its side and jostled? Paranoia over this happening in her purse is keeping my better half from considering a Vanishing Point for her work pen, and I feel like a clicky pen is exactly what she needs given her track record with capped pens.

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.

Remora posted:

Is there any risk of a Vanishing Point leaking when tipped on its side and jostled? Paranoia over this happening in her purse is keeping my better half from considering a Vanishing Point for her work pen, and I feel like a clicky pen is exactly what she needs given her track record with capped pens.

It may leak into the body itself but the ink shouldn't get outside of the pen. There's a rubber o ring in between the two segments of the body actually.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

GoldenNugget posted:

So my sister has been helping me out with a ton of things lately and I was thinking of getting her a nice, no hassle fountain pen. I'm not sure about nib size but since she's had no experience with them I'm guessing medium would be a good place to start? I know a metro is great and all but I want to get her something a bit nicer. Lamy's are nice (I like my charcoal safari despite it's huge rear end EF nib...) but don't look that aesthetically pleasing to me due to being more overbuilt like german things are. I did see the vanishing point which would be good for quickly writing a note here and there (I do want one myself) but I'm worried that is a bit too much maintenance and could be somewhat problematic.

How do you guys go about buying gift pens for people?

Also I'm thinking of getting a journal/journal paper. Something that I can add paper to whenever I want so I don't have to worry about making a new volume. Any suggestions? I've seen the midori traveler's notebook but was curious if there are other options.

There's some nice monteverdes on clearence at Goulet, one of those might be a nice way to get a nicer pen for less.

Also, if you want something cheaper there's the filofax stuff too.

Got a penmenship the other day too, and swapped the nib onto my metro. Feels way nicer than the EF preppies I'd been using.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
Cool I may consider getting a vanishing point and metro for her. She likes purple so any good recommendations for purple inks? Does noodler black work well with it? Fine or Medium nib?

I don't know how much she writes in a day but if it's anything like me it might not be pages and pages (it takes me a few days to finish up a metro converter). CON-20?

Any recommendations for journal paper (this is more for me)? Wanting something I can add paper to here and there.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Never had a con-20, but they don't seem that great for seeing how much ink is left, so I'd say go for a nice con-50. For purple inks, Iroshizuku Murasaki-Shikibu is pretty cool though tbh there's not much in shading. its just a nice purple.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
With my piston converters -- I've tried two or three by now -- I feel like I have to try several times to get the converter to suck up any ink through the nib, and even then it doesn't fill completely. It's good enough, but what am I doing wrong? I am careful to do it very slowly.

Also, is there a good rich blue ink people like? I've tried Bleu Nuit and Eclat de Saphir by J. Herbin; they're fine but the former especially seems a bit washed out, and neither is the kind of brilliant blue I'd like. I know that's very vague. Would prefer to avoid Noodler's and Private Reserve since apparently Richard Binder thinks their inks destroy pens or whatever.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

GoldenNugget posted:

Cool I may consider getting a vanishing point and metro for her. She likes purple so any good recommendations for purple inks? Does noodler black work well with it? Fine or Medium nib?

I don't know how much she writes in a day but if it's anything like me it might not be pages and pages (it takes me a few days to finish up a metro converter). CON-20?

Any recommendations for journal paper (this is more for me)? Wanting something I can add paper to here and there.

My favorite purple is J. Herbin Violette Pensee. Rorher and Klingner Cassia would be second.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

guppy posted:

With my piston converters -- I've tried two or three by now -- I feel like I have to try several times to get the converter to suck up any ink through the nib, and even then it doesn't fill completely. It's good enough, but what am I doing wrong? I am careful to do it very slowly.

Also, is there a good rich blue ink people like? I've tried Bleu Nuit and Eclat de Saphir by J. Herbin; they're fine but the former especially seems a bit washed out, and neither is the kind of brilliant blue I'd like. I know that's very vague. Would prefer to avoid Noodler's and Private Reserve since apparently Richard Binder thinks their inks destroy pens or whatever.

They can melt old school latex ink sacs, otherwise they're fine. So long as your pen doesn't have a bladder Noodler's Liberty's Elysium is my favorite rich blue ink.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

About a month ago, I mentioned that I was getting a Hero 1088 because it looked like a Lamy Studio knock off. Well, pen's here, forget knockoff this damned near *is* a Lamy Studio, just with different branding and using an international converter. Writes well, slightly dry, otherwise my only major complaint is that the threads between the body and grip section are a little rough. Hell, even the converter is a step above the normal Chinese ones. This pen might be going in to my regular rotation.

Also, it actually fits Lamy standard nibs.

Edit:

grack posted:

I clearly hate Lamy and IP rights so I bought one of these*: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hero-1088-Fountain-Pen-/261397468339?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cdc80d4b3

Apparently a perfect copy of the Lamy Studio outside of using international standard cartridge/converters, so much so that you can swap in Lamy nibs.

*I'm actually just really cheap

grack fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Mar 17, 2015

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Yeah Hero's Lamy knockoffs are nib compatible, while the Jinhao ones aren't. I was using the Safari knockoff for a work beater for the better part of a year before it started leaking.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

guppy posted:

As long as you're using a fairly modern pen, Baystate Blue is an amazing indigo color. Yes, it's kind of hard to clean if you use it a lot and don't have any rubbing alcohol, but if that doesn't bother you, the ink almost glows on the page.

If you're looking for more of a royal/cerulean blue, Noodler's Air Corps Blue or Iroshizuku Kon-Peki are good bets.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Baystate Blue looks amazing, but that ink of all inks has a rep for causing problems that I'd rather not deal with. I'll look at the others, thanks.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

grack posted:

About a month ago, I mentioned that I was getting a Hero 1088 because it looked like a Lamy Studio knock off. Well, pen's here, forget knockoff this damned near *is* a Lamy Studio, just with different branding and using an international converter. Writes well, slightly dry, otherwise my only major complaint is that the threads between the body and grip section are a little rough. Hell, even the converter is a step above the normal Chinese ones. This pen might be going in to my regular rotation.

Also, it actually fits Lamy standard nibs.

Awesome, thanks for reporting back! I just ordered one myself, hopefully I have a similar experience.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Once I quit trying to use it in garbage Preppies and put BSB in a 78G I stopped having any issues with it. It looks great with the B/stub nib and is my regular blue for signing stuff.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

guppy posted:

I enjoy the discontinued Sailor Sky High ink but Diamine has some nice blues for sale too. I like Majesty Blue, Sailor 4B, Pilot Blue, Noodler's Blue Steel. I lean towards the B-B colors myself but a nice cheery blue always make my otherwise dull day better :v:

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

If you're looking for more of a royal/cerulean blue, Noodler's Air Corps Blue or Iroshizuku Kon-Peki are good bets.

Noodler's makes Air Corps Blue-Black, not plain blue. It's actually a green-black and on cheap/low quality paper will come through more green than black. If you use it in a really wet pen on good quality paper then I guess you could call it a blue-black but definitely not a royal/cerulean blue.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

kim jong-illin posted:

Noodler's makes Air Corps Blue-Black, not plain blue. It's actually a green-black and on cheap/low quality paper will come through more green than black. If you use it in a really wet pen on good quality paper then I guess you could call it a blue-black but definitely not a royal/cerulean blue.

Try mixing Air Corps Blue-Black 50/50 with red food colouring. Takes out the green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Will still have a look at the ones recommended here, but I still have Éclat de Saphir in a pen, so I've been using it. And I think I was wrong the first time, this is a really nice color.