Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

BadLlama posted:

So dumb question, how the gently caress do you know what your crews level is? I looked for something similar to WoT in the UI but didn't see anything so figured crews weren't a thing?

Currently the only crew that you can gain experience and level up is the ships captain which is unlocked at a higher tier like Prav mentioned. When you buy a ship and it asks you to spend the credits to unlock tier 1 I would suggest that at least so you can level the firing accuracy or repair at a +1 level. If you have piasters to burn then by all means +3 is an option as well.

Prav I see the Iwaki was doled out today? Did we get anything else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuco22
Jul 11, 2013
Just the Iwaki.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
They need to get rid of those dumb islands. They already have cover in dd smoke screens, all the islands do is make fleet maneuvers impossible

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Actually, it's pubbies that make fleet maneuvers impossible.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I think that's why there are islands. So every clan match doesn't turn into 10 ships per team sailing line ahead.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

dtkozl posted:

They need to get rid of those dumb islands. They already have cover in dd smoke screens, all the islands do is make fleet maneuvers impossible

Nope disagree then BBs would just poo poo on everything except CVs. Using islands to control engagements is cruiser 101 especially with the short ranged torps they get. Take all cover and and then what? Pubbies drive straight at each other and whomever is most accurate/crits first wins. gently caress that. The cover gives you a chance to really affect the game in cruisers and destroyers you wouldn't have otherwise

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
About torping:

Check where I put the waypoint marker, it's on the far side of the Kongo. In an ideal attack run you set the waypoint marker outside of the round circle and calculate the range and speed. As soon as you click your attack vector in manual mode the planes will head there. BUT - you have to be outside of the circle, if you click attack inside the circle your planes will fly back to the edge of the circle and then start their run from there.

The ideal run is a fluid movement towards the waypoint.

1. See what you can attack, preferably with no cruisers and fighters in the area.
2. pick a waypoint so that you move towards the broadside of the target.
3. Hit manual and select a release point, while still outside of the targeting circle.
4. :pubbie tears:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
The islands are the worst because trying to turn the first battleship is like trying to steer a 1950's Greyhound with your drat teeth. I don't mind a couple of them, smartly placed to break up the action, but when they're all over the place they completely nullify the long range gimmick of the battleship.

When I was manuvering around one set of them, I misjudged a turn, and though I didn't crash into an island, I was stuck in such a way that I couldn't go forward and I couldn't back up fast enough to really do anything. All I could do was reverse at 2 knots and duke it out with the 3 ships barreling down on me.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Vengarr posted:

I think that's why there are islands. So every clan match doesn't turn into 10 ships per team sailing line ahead.

No it is because the devs are scared to use their brain. Smoke screens and torpedo runs by mass destroyers can break up a line quick. Right now it is just chaos and it really limits what could potentially be a good team game.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Hammerstein posted:

About torping:

Check where I put the waypoint marker, it's on the far side of the Kongo. In an ideal attack run you set the waypoint marker outside of the round circle and calculate the range and speed. As soon as you click your attack vector in manual mode the planes will head there. BUT - you have to be outside of the circle, if you click attack inside the circle your planes will fly back to the edge of the circle and then start their run from there.

The ideal run is a fluid movement towards the waypoint.

1. See what you can attack, preferably with no cruisers and fighters in the area.
2. pick a waypoint so that you move towards the broadside of the target.
3. Hit manual and select a release point, while still outside of the targeting circle.
4. :pubbie tears:

Is there a way to tell when your torpedoes will be active? I've had a few games where I dropped torpedoes too close and they just go :doink: off the hull. Very anticlimactic.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Vengarr posted:

Is there a way to tell when your torpedoes will be active? I've had a few games where I dropped torpedoes too close and they just go :doink: off the hull. Very anticlimactic.

Unfortunately not. It takes a while to get a feel for it, from my experience you can release from the inner half of the attack circle, probably even closer. You can launch so close that on a good to perfect attack run a lone BB will always take massive damage.

Ofc these seal clubbing days won't last forever. I had one game today with a decent team which actually stuck together. The planes from the hostile side could not get through the AA cover.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 13, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011

dtkozl posted:

No it is because the devs are scared to use their brain. Smoke screens and torpedo runs by mass destroyers can break up a line quick. Right now it is just chaos and it really limits what could potentially be a good team game.

Zero physical cover would be absolutely awful.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Just being in a giant ocean map would suck complete poo poo and not be any fun unless you just want to get your simulator boner on I guess.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

dtkozl posted:

This isn't a sim game with a sim player base, torpedoes would instantly kill 60% of the pubbies.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Am I reading the stats on the premium atlanta right? Can you actually physically shoot planes with it? I ask this because the main guns are dual purpose and listed for both AA and normal use. Basically, it looks to be a AA screen boat, but with enough fire control to shoot regular ships when no carriers are around.

Also, for those that haven't spent their little gold stipend, click your name in the upper left. You can buy premium time with it. Go enjoy the game with increased xp income.

Tuco22
Jul 11, 2013
Yes, focused AA from the Atlanta is devastating.
Avoiding them when playing CV's is generally a good idea.

But focused AA takes control of your main turrets so you're not actually doing the shooting.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

DP main guns are a bit weird in that they just spit out AA fire automatically and you can be doing whatever with the guns at the same time, including laying down fire on enemy ships.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Pretty torp patterns 101

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
There's an exploit on the map Fault Line you can make use of if you're in a carrier and starting in the north. At E1, there's a little bit of water between the edge of the map and the mainland that you can wedge your carrier in. It makes you drat near impossible to torpedo, since they can't target your broadside and have to sneak a torpedo ("a" torpedo) through the tiny opening to even hit you at all.

Meanwhile of course, you can light them up at will.

There's also an easier spot to beach yourself at E-2 which is closer to the action, but it's less protected.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Hey so I live in the desert and know gently caress all about boats could these huge ships actually reverse without a tug boat or something or did they throw that into the game just so you don't gently caress yourself with bad driving?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

BadLlama posted:

Hey so I live in the desert and know gently caress all about boats could these huge ships actually reverse without a tug boat or something or did they throw that into the game just so you don't gently caress yourself with bad driving?

They have reverse. They have always had reverse. Tugs are used for maneuvering inside of ports because these boats are not that nimble without a big open ocean to steer in.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Yes, these ships can actually reverse. Rudder response ranges from ok to totally poo poo, depending on the ship and the design of the props, rudders, and hull. Meaning, you can go backwards, but you're not doing any sort of maneuvering other than some high radius turns.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

It's a bit more modern of a ship, but you'd be surprised how well ships can actually maneuver, once they get up to speed.

Tugs are only used for extremely low speed maneuvers, since if you're not going at least half speed, you're pretty much not going to turn. It's a bit awkward at first, but ships actually turn much faster at 3/4th to full speed than they do at low speeds, due the rudder mechanics.

Have another angle:

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Its good to remember that rudders are essentially little boat wings that stick in to the water. Just like an aircraft wing they develop lift if you increase the angle of attack relative to the flow of the fluid you're moving through, however, you're not going to generate poo poo if there isn't enough fluid flowing over your wing.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

This isn't a sim game with a sim player base, torpedoes would instantly kill 60% of the pubbies.

Who gives a gently caress about pubbies. They are gonna suck and they are going to die regardless of what the map looks like. I can tell you exactly what the meta game is going to turn into in a bit. The long range BBs and crusiers and carriers are going to stand off the islands and shoot whatever broken up group or single moron decides to cap a point or come through and attack the line. Both sides will do this until either the timer runs out or it almost runs out and one team makes a last ditch effort that just ends up looking stupid. There are only two things you can do to prevent this, either removes 2/3 of the islands or make a few big islands or a port or anything realistic so you can use realistic tactics OR you are going to have to make each and every ship along a tier be just as tough and have as much killing power. So a yamato would be as tough as a dd, and that in my eyes would make for a really dumb game.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

dtkozl posted:

There are only two things you can do to prevent this, either removes 2/3 of the islands or make a few big islands or a port or anything realistic so you can use realistic tactics

Yeah man, you're right. Areas in the ocean with scattered groups of islands don't exist, and if they did, no one ever fought a naval battle around them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuuk_Lagoon

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

squidflakes posted:

Yeah man, you're right. Areas in the ocean with scattered groups of islands don't exist, and if they did, no one ever fought a naval battle around them.

Dial it back bro I just said less terrain not make every map open ocean.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

dtkozl posted:

Dial it back bro I just said less terrain not make every map open ocean.
You know what's gonna happen if they reduce the amount of islands to just a few per map? What will happen is pubbies all trying to huddle behind them in big, merry clusterfucks because there's only so many BBs that a little rock in the sea can conceal.

The maps are fine as they are.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

Hammerstein posted:

Unfortunately not. It takes a while to get a feel for it, from my experience you can release from the inner half of the attack circle, probably even closer. You can launch so close that on a good to perfect attack run a lone BB will always take massive damage.

Ofc these seal clubbing days won't last forever. I had one game today with a decent team which actually stuck together. The planes from the hostile side could not get through the AA cover.

Might be speaking out my rear end, but my hunch is that they are armed at the start of the green spread indicator or at least shortly thereafter (assuming they get dropped at the attack circle? Since I think that's the automatic drop point? I'm not sure how manual bombing controls work). This is based off of my experience using the tubes on a pheonix, I've not unlocked any carriers yet to try torp bombers.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Vengarr posted:

Hammerstein posted:

AFAIK they start being active at the green marker:

Like in this image they drop at the edge of the circle, and activate once they're in the green highlighted area. I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

squidflakes posted:

That was a poor example. No US ships attacked Truk.

However..

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Rorac posted:

It's a bit more modern of a ship, but you'd be surprised how well ships can actually maneuver, once they get up to speed.

I was stationed on the CV 64 and let me tell you when we went out on sea trials before WESTPAC that kind of poo poo was a riot. You were hanging on for dear life and if ever I thought they could flip over a goddamned carrier it was during one of those maneuvers.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Saint Celestine posted:

That was a poor example. No US ships attacked Truk.

gently caress, you're right. It was only aircraft.

Whelp..

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Having maps of actual places where battles took place would be cool as hell. Savo island, port arther, phillippines, etc.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I wouldn't mind the maps that are crammed full of islands nearly so much if so many of the ships didn't handle like complete garbage. Am I going too fast? Too slow? It takes forever for some of the longer ships to do a turn, which basically fucks you if you go into many areas of the map, or get too close to the border.

On many maps, it's fine. Some of them are claustrophobic though.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Is the game generally very spikey, ping wise, for anyone else? Lots of (small) rubber banding. Not really affecting gameplay at all but really annoying.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

dtkozl posted:

Who gives a gently caress about pubbies. They are gonna suck and they are going to die regardless of what the map looks like. I can tell you exactly what the meta game is going to turn into in a bit. The long range BBs and crusiers and carriers are going to stand off the islands and shoot whatever broken up group or single moron decides to cap a point or come through and attack the line. Both sides will do this until either the timer runs out or it almost runs out and one team makes a last ditch effort that just ends up looking stupid. There are only two things you can do to prevent this, either removes 2/3 of the islands or make a few big islands or a port or anything realistic so you can use realistic tactics OR you are going to have to make each and every ship along a tier be just as tough and have as much killing power. So a yamato would be as tough as a dd, and that in my eyes would make for a really dumb game.

They're going to design the game around the average player, so the developers obviously give a gently caress about pubbies.

Besides, islands work fine. Cruisers and destroyers go fast enough that they can slip between the islands before the battleships get there. They also usually cap the point, providing incentive for people to keep pushing. Camping makes you an easier target by everything.

What they do need to do is slow down the cap points because games shouldn't end while half of each team is still alive.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I think a decent proportion of the islands could stand being not quite as tall.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

They could just make the maps bigger and widen the gaps between the larger islands. Or they could make the borders bigger, and more open, so the smaller ships can cut through the middle and weave through the islands while the big boats make the choice of the open ocean or the more crowded areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Navyfield was terrible with the lack of islands. Hope you're in a BB because outside of the first suicidal torp run, no one was crossing no-man's land in the center for a long time. That or you loved sailing up and down waiting for someone stupid enough to get close to your guns / grinding cash via AA.