Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Mooseykins posted:

Does it shift smoothly from 4th into 3rd with the engine off and clutch pedal up, and with the engine idling/car stationary and with the clutch in?

It's more likely dead synchros. If the clutch doesn't disengage properly it will stop it downshifting easily, but usually in all gears. Your symptoms sound more like a worn 3rd gear synchro.

Yep - fine in both of those situations.

Loads of gearboxes on ebay. I can spend £100, or go upmarket at £150 or even £200!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Tomarse posted:

Yep - fine in both of those situations.

Loads of gearboxes on ebay. I can spend £100, or go upmarket at £150 or even £200!

Yeah, probably the sychros then. :(

Gawd, i wish mine was that cheap. When i did the van i couldn't even get a used box for it because it's a rare spec, cost £1,400 for an overhaul and it's still not right.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
VW mounting the starter to the pressure plate instead of the flywheel must be a holdover from the Beetle or something where bellhousing clearance is tight so they can install the starter body 'backwards'. That would explain why the Corvair also does it, considering both of them are rear end-engined slot cars.

Getting to the point where you have a hollow input shaft that also actuates a secondary pressure plate hurts my head to a degree that I think I need to lie down for a bit.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

VW mounting the starter to the pressure plate instead of the flywheel must be a holdover from the Beetle or something where bellhousing clearance is tight so they can install the starter body 'backwards'. That would explain why the Corvair also does it, considering both of them are rear end-engined slot cars.

No idea, totally rear end-backwards system, and it's not like they pioneered FWD gearboxes or anything, so no idea why they felt the need to do it so differently to a goddamn clutch fork and thrust bearing.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Getting to the point where you have a hollow input shaft that also actuates a secondary pressure plate hurts my head to a degree that I think I need to lie down for a bit.

It's such wonderful Germanic engineering that despite it's pointless over-complication it still actually works! :allears:

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I think they really wanted to keep the starter on the "ordinary" side, especially since they are about the size of a Folger's can and the drive sits squarely in the middle of it. I ordered the new nose, drive, lever, and bushings but was really tempted to just get a gear reduction starter. Something like 10lbs lighter and since I run an electronic ignition I wouldn't need the coil resistance wire bypass built into the solenoid on the OEM style. Both it and a completely rebuilt OEM unit cost about $250-$300, so I opted to try the more frugal route.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Second coat of paint is on. Kind of looks worse than the first but we'll wait and see how it looks at coat 5. No pics because I left my phone in the apartment while painting.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

This is more what I did for my ride today. Took advantage of the 50+ degree weather to clean and reorganize the garage a little, to make sure the Civic has a nice neat place to sleep and I have a clean place to work.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 10, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Pretty sure your garage is at least the size of my house. :unsmith:

Can't even squeeze the Avalon into our garage unless we park it with the front bumper against the wall, and the garage door will clear the rear bumper by about an inch.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Imperador do Brasil posted:

This is more what I did for my ride today. Took advantage of the 50+ degree weather to clean and reorganize the garage a little, to make sure the Civic has a nice neat place to sleep and I have a clean place to work.

How do you like the newest gen si?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

some texas redneck posted:

Can't even squeeze the Avalon into our garage unless we park it with the front bumper against the wall, and the garage door will clear the rear bumper by about an inch.

two cars one stall :smug:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

PaintVagrant posted:

How do you like the newest gen si?

I bought it because its drivetrain is almost identical to the car that replaced it, an Acura TSX (and because I generally love Honda). That being said, the TSX was a better-looking car but I prefer the interior, suspension and just the general light feeling of the Si. It's a nicely-put together car but not the prettiest thing on the block.

some texas redneck posted:

This garage could fit four small cars if the work bench wasn't there (I'm not getting rid of the work bench!). As-is, I can fit both the Genesis and the Civic in here if one is against the back wall and the other is about an inch from the first car. Additionally it holds my garden tractor, snow blower, several sets of tires, and a bunch of other stuff. It's one of the main reasons I bought the house.

The detached garage where the Genesis lives is also a car-and-a-half sized stall. I apologize for the blurriness but my hands were still shaking from almost two hours of chopping 5" thick ice in the driveway.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Replaced the fuel filler neck in my WJ. Thankfully it broke while my mother in law was about to give it to me and agreed to pay for the part. Probably the easiest fuel filler neck I have done.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Got it back from the garage with new bushes, wishbones and balljoints. It no longer feels like the front of the car isn't really attached and doesn't clunk when I have to hop it up and down kerbs. :neckbeard:

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
Went to check my oil after work saw my pcv hose was split on both ends then spent an hour running to parts stores trying to find 15/32 hose. next time ill :phone: first

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Replaced the alternator belt, this has to add at least 30 hp!

HKS belt from Japan, cost about 1/10 of what I paid for the car.

afen fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 12, 2015

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

As promised, pictures of the Explorer with the new wheels and tires.

Before:

After:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
drat, not that there was anything wrong with it before but that made it look so much better. I love the unique/cragar/us wheel type of wheels.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

As promised, pictures of the Explorer with the new wheels and tires.After:

Please add nudge bars. :stwoon:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Three coats. I need to work on the vertical surfaces a bit, still getting a few too many runs.

Three to go and then I learn how to wet sand.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Tore my starter down last night, the whole thing was caked with a good layer of grease and dust from the brushes. It was a good 1/8 - 1/4" thick in most places. I received in the mail a new housing, new bendix drive, new bushings, new pole shoe insulators, new brushes, new solenoid lever, and a new solenoid. This thing is going to sparkle! The pole shoe bolts were in so tight I shattered an impact bit trying to loosen them, so I employed the hydraulic press, a roller thrust bearing, and a T handle to hold the bit in while I cranked on em. Worked quite well. I also decided to splurge and get the urethane bushings on order anyways, as a RX7 is going to be bogarting the lift this weekend and I wanted something to dream about instead of pulling the drivetrain to inspect it :getin:

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Got the Pitmann arm swapped out today, woo. All that's left to swap out before I can start reassembling the steering is the idler arm.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
(Yesterday)

Turned it into a mobile welding vehicle, to do some on-site welding for a friend.

Then filled her up with diesel. That works out about $5.98/G.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Mounted brand new headlight glass on the other station wagon ($$$):

Gave her a quick polish as well:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

afen posted:

Gave her a quick polish as well:

:stwoon:

doogle
May 24, 2003

As promised, pictures of the Explorer with the new wheels and tires.

Before:

After:

Looks awesome.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Seriously. afen's wagon is my favorite Audi. :3:

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 14, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Did rear struts on the MSP today. Took a couple pics but just noticed that they're blurry, so imagine dirty blue struts with red springs, and then clean new struts with slightly less dirty red springs.

The upper spring insulators were gacked, luckily the upper mounts I got had new ones in the bag. Probably was the source of the clunking whenever my rears went over bumps. Struts themselves were not nearly as chucked as the fronts I did last summer (only a few thousand miles ago) but it was definitely time.

Also replaced the sway bar links (and nuts since one backed off and fell out an unknown while back ;the threads were hammered on that link and I've basically been riding with disconnected sway bar for X months now) and greased the bushings.

Also also finally flushed the original brake fluid from 2003; I am a bad car owner but at least it's done now.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Unfortunately, I have to have a new power brake booster put in today.

Ouch, said my wallet.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Unfortunately, I have to have a new power brake booster put in today.

Ouch, said my wallet.

What car is it?

Boosters are pretty much always a loving nightmare job. People used to call up for quotes to change them and i'd often just decline the work. It takes loving hours, and they don't want to pay.

Edit: on RHD FWD cars. There's an engine in the way.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Mooseykins posted:

What car is it?

Boosters are pretty much always a loving nightmare job. People used to call up for quotes to change them and i'd often just decline the work. It takes loving hours, and they don't want to pay.

Edit: on RHD FWD cars. There's an engine in the way.

1996 Camry. I have to pay. It's not something I would ever take on myself. Besides, I enjoy being able to stop.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 15, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Getting to the two or three bolts or nuts obscured by the steering column under the dash is always a stone cold bitch. Possible but oh god I hate it.

Had the dash out for a manual swap and heater core replacement last time, so it was downright pleasant compare to the usual pain :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My C10 is the only thing I've ever done a booster on and it has all of the fasteners on the engine side of the firewall. It's still a pain in the dick.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

IOwnCalculus posted:

My C10 is the only thing I've ever done a booster on and it has all of the fasteners on the engine side of the firewall. It's still a pain in the dick.

The mechanic said it would be a three-hour job.

Update: Well, apparently there was a communication problem with the mechanic. It wasn't the booster, instead it was the master cylinder.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 15, 2015

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Installed new front shocks, finished installing/reinstalling all of the steering components, and finished replacing the remaining ancient coolant hoses. Then took it for a quick test drive all of 2 houses worth of road down and confirmed that yep, the alignment is hilariously bad. So before I actually try to drive this thing to an alignment shop I'm going to have to do a wee bit more adjustment on those tie rods.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Swapped to the summer tires, finally. This winter just would not end. We have a couple nights ahead in the forecast below freezing, but gently caress it. Stupid squishy snow tires.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Did babby's first oil change today.

Earlier this week I changed out the torn up rubber shift boot with one made of leather.

A Fram filter?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Changed the oil on my landy. It's only done about 3000 miles since it was last changed but it has been 2 1/2 years and it was starting to take longer than I liked for the pressure light to go out on cold startup.

Is now much better. Oil looked minging (as is normal for an old diesel) but the magnetic drain plug was nice and clean :)

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Weighed my PTE car last week and came in 90 lbs light with 1/2 a tank of gas. I was hoping to put off making ballast until after the race next weekend. So much for that plan.

First stop was the steel warehouse, this place was massive. This was just their non-plate selections. Behind me was about 1/3 that amount of space in various types of plate.

I got a 4'x8' sheet of 3/16 steel. Someone in the local car club Took what I didn't need. I ended up with a 4'x14" piece that I cut into a 17.5"x15" piece. A 4.5" angle grinder made quick work of the sheet.

To mount it to the car I'm reusing my passenger seat mounts since I don't need a passenger seat anymore.

Drilled the holes for the mounting bolts. Exceeding the duty cycle of my drill significantly.

Tacked the mounting bars into place. It wasn't as dark as it seems, the light threw my camera off.

Lots of welding. 3/16 is about the limit of what my welder can do on a 20A 110V circuit. Too bad I run it into a 15A circuit. Lots of breaker trips happened.

Towards the end I got tired of resetting the breaker.

And here is the finished product. Final weight was 100.2lbs.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 16, 2015

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Giblet Plus! posted:

A Fram filter?

What about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Oh god not this. I like this thread.