Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The latest version of CISPA has left committee in the Senate. Ron Wyden (D-OR) provided the sole vote against, expressing concern that it would legitimize additional surveillance by not offering privacy protections on information shared with the government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

My friend asks whatever is it that Hilary Clinton is hiding from her emails seems 'suspicious.' What do you fellows think?

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 13, 2015

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Grouchio posted:

My friend asks whatever is it that Hilary Clinton is hiding from her emails seems 'suspicious.' What do you fellows think?

Shes hiding the real identity of john galt in those emails.

But seriously, can someone explain to me why the email controversy is a thing? I haven't been following it because it seems like the dumbest thing possible.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

nutranurse posted:

But seriously, can someone explain to me why the email controversy is a thing? I haven't been following it because it seems like the dumbest thing possible.

Sounds like you've already got a handle on it, honestly.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

nutranurse posted:

Completely agreed. She owned and used her own email server. Okay, so?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

nutranurse posted:

She's hiding the orders she been receiving from the reptilian Illuminati obviously.
Wyden is cool.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Radbot posted:

I know I'm being a bit histrionic, but this doesn't seem an awful lot different from this:

We've discovered Eric Garner was a sexual deviant who was into erotic asphyxiation. Officers tried to stop him, but his sheer sexual prowess overcame them.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Also this CISPA bill seems quite ominous. I hope the president does not sign this.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

nutranurse posted:

I said it earlier. It's a thing because the GOP underwear got full and started spewing poo poo all over the place. That's how terrified they are of Hillary.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Grouchio posted:

90% of the stuff that wasn't released is non-governmental correspondence, like planning her daughter's wedding and stuff about the Clinton Foundation.

The other 10% is her allies like Sid Blumenthal emailing her to grouse about the Obama administration and would be embarrassing if made public.

Apparently the stuff she turned over includes LinkedIn invites she receieved, which will be fun to see :laugh:

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
^^^^^

It's not accurate to say what percentage of the emails on her server were what, since all we have to go by is what she/her staff says it is.

blunt for century posted:

I think the legitimate concern right now is whether or not she signed a mandatory document declaring she turned over all emailed related to government duties.

If she signed it, she absolutely lied. If she didn't, then that's a problem within itself because it was a mandatory document so that means the State Department purposely allowed her to circumvent the rules.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

nutranurse posted:

They have nothing else against her.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They have nothing else against her.

She's a democrat, woman, and clinton. That's plenty in their book.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

A Winner is Jew posted:

She's a democrat, woman, and clinton. That's plenty in their book.

also, benghazi!!!!!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I think the legitimate concern right now is whether or not she signed a mandatory document declaring she turned over all emailed related to government duties.

If she signed it, she absolutely lied. If she didn't, then that's a problem within itself because it was a mandatory document so that means the State Department purposely allowed her to circumvent the rules.

True! This is potentially as big a problem for her as the SEC Form 4 issue was for Romney.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Seriously though that CISPA bill is giving me terrible SOPA vibes. Can we be sure that it won't pass through congress or the President?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

nutranurse posted:

Because Republicans have once again found an opportunity to accuse Hillary of doing something that can't be proven 100% false. It's the same deal with Benghazi. It doesn't matter how much new information comes out showing that nothing suspicious happened, Republicans can still say "but clearly we don't have ALL THE FACTS because Clinton hasn't released every single email she's ever sent" and continue to act as though there's something wrong.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Grouchio posted:

The whole reason for running her own email server was essentially to block transparency; she didn't want her emails accessible to FOIA requests.

Any email that contained politically sensitive or embarrassing information could be hidden just by classifying it. The current administration does this all the time. It's the status quo.

She also has a lot of emails that are not politically sensitive, and not particularly interesting. She couldn't plausibly classify these, so they would be available to FOIA searches if they were on government computers. Her issue is that there's a large number of people who are desperate to find anything they can smear her with. Some of these people are literally insane. If they got access to her emails, they could easily turn something stupid (like Chelsea's wedding planning) into a smoking political turd that they'd then scream about on the news for months.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Grouchio posted:

It is sketchy as gently caress. Unfortunately, it follows a clear precedent set by the Bush administration and followed by the Obama administration. It is a bad thing and one of the many reasons why I'll vote against Hillary in the primary. When it comes to the general? Republicans are the last people I'd trust to clean up a mess like this.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Either she has a gov email and personal email, and she uses the personal email for things she wants to hide, or just has a personal email, and submits all the gov emails except for the ones she wants to hide.

Unless the law says that she's only allowed to send email from a gov account and all those emails must be preserved/submitted, it really doesn't matter.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Tobermory posted:

The whole reason for running her own email server was essentially to block transparency; she didn't want her emails accessible to FOIA requests.

Any email that contained politically sensitive or embarrassing information could be hidden just by classifying it. The current administration does this all the time. It's the status quo.

She also has a lot of emails that are not politically sensitive, and not particularly interesting. She couldn't plausibly classify these, so they would be available to FOIA searches if they were on government computers. Her issue is that there's a large number of people who are desperate to find anything they can smear her with. Some of these people are literally insane. If they got access to her emails, they could easily turn something stupid (like Chelsea's wedding planning) into a smoking political turd that they'd then scream about on the news for months.

I have no idea how the classification system works but I really hope there's something preventing high up people from classifying their drawings of the president with a dunce cap on his head.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

I know a bunch of ultra-right wing fuckhead teabaggers, and not even one of them has mentioned this email "scandal" on facebook or in person

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
blunt, every time I see your avatar, I can't stop thinking about Men in Black. It's really distracting. :v:

That guy's line deliver was great, also.

"Please..."

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

a shameful boehner posted:

blunt, every time I see your avatar, I can't stop thinking about Men in Black. It's really distracting. :v:

That guy's line deliver was great, also.

"Please..."

:hfive:

I'm glad you get it haha, I get the impression not many people get where that's from.

I'll take "Movies I've Seen Thousands of Times", please Alex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPRzh9pyEhI

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Grouchio posted:

Seriously though that CISPA bill is giving me terrible SOPA vibes. Can we be sure that it won't pass through congress or the President?

Hate to break it to you, but Obama's been pushing for legislation like this for several years now. That said, he did issue a veto threat against CISPA because it didn't adequately protect privacy so who knows?

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Fried Chicken posted:

Whatever the gently caress you are doing doesn't matter, drop it and watch this

https://vine.co/v/O9TEhID2O2U

I just want to quote this for the new page, it's that important.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Hate to break it to you, but Obama's been pushing for legislation like this for several years now. That said, he did issue a veto threat against CISPA because it didn't adequately protect privacy so who knows?
So what wouldn't I be able to do on the internet anymore, hypothetically, if this bill is signed into law?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Grouchio posted:

So what wouldn't I be able to do on the internet anymore, hypothetically, if this bill is signed into law?

Hide.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.
OH COME ON. It's 2015. We shouldn't be concerned about Hillary Clinton's emails! What about her YikYak posts and her Whatsapp and Instagram rolls? Let's focus on what's IMPORTANT.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Quidam Viator posted:

OH COME ON. It's 2015. We shouldn't be concerned about Hillary Clinton's emails! What about her YikYak posts and her Whatsapp and Instagram rolls? Let's focus on what's IMPORTANT.

Now I feel old since I had to google Yik Yak.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Amergin posted:

Now I feel old since I had to google Yik Yak.

Uh I know what Yik Yak is but why don't you tell the thread in case anyone doesn't know.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
girlslaughingatbushes.tumblr.com

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

zoux posted:

Uh I know what Yik Yak is but why don't you tell the thread in case anyone doesn't know.

Something about viewing nearby folks' anonymous Yaks. I dunno all my googling did was make me hungry for Nepalese food.

EDIT: I'm downloading it now to see if bare breasts are involved.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 13, 2015

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Is that the one where you can anonymously send out messages to people in your city/metro/campus/whatever area?

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

420DD Butts posted:

Is that the one where you can anonymously send out messages to people in your city/metro/campus/whatever area?

Yeah, there was some minor controversy at my Oklahoma college's campus this year involving a lot of slurs and violent racist language being projected towards local minorities through YikYak.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Its an anonymous message board only for people in your area

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

blunt for century posted:

Securing an email sever is actually really loving hard. It seems like Clinton's email server was less than "best practices" secure. Even if she wasn't sharing classified information, there was likely still massively valuable information contained in this email server.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Today in "I know you are, but what am I?"

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Securing an email sever is actually really loving hard. It seems like Clinton's email server was less than "best practices" secure. Even if she wasn't sharing classified information, there was likely still massively valuable information contained in this email server.

Yeah, this is my only issue. There's no way anybody the Clintons can have hired could secure a server better than the US government can. Even if they hired the top experts in the private sector, the NSA may well know vulnerabilities the public is unaware of. I can't bring myself to be shocked that a 50+-year-old politician in the 1990s was stupid when it came to email, but in the age of China hacking everything in sight it needs to be established that she won't do this as president.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

McNerd posted:

Yeah, this is my only issue. There's no way anybody the Clintons can have hired could secure a server better than the US government can. Even if they hired the top experts in the private sector, the NSA may well know vulnerabilities the public is unaware of. I can't bring myself to be shocked that a 50+-year-old politician in the 1990s was stupid when it came to email, but in the age of China hacking everything in sight it needs to be established that she won't do this as president.

You are aware of how incompetent government IT contractors can be, and often are, right? Through big contractors getting contacts through strongarming and good old fashioned nepotism a significant amount of government IT contracts go to companies that are in no way qualified to handle them, although they are quite happy to throw something together for the minions of dollars the contract is for.

• Locked thread