Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Am I missing the part in that image where you're showing me what your PIN timeout is set to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole
It's in settings > wallet pin > PIN timeout

I ran into a problem with Google Wallet. My school has a vending machine with tap and pay set up. They have a sticker that says it's set up for Google Wallet but upon tapping the it, you find out that they don't take Mastercard. It makes the entire app useless even though I have my visa card as the primary card in the app.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Scrolling down is a thing dude.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My phone needs a new battery, badly. How do I find a battery from a reputable maker that won't poo poo itself within a year?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My phone needs a new battery, badly. How do I find a battery from a reputable maker that won't poo poo itself within a year?

That would depend greatly on what kind of phone you have!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

butt dickus posted:

And good luck when something goes wrong with yours!

Anecdotal horror stories are apparently admissible for OPO but if it's about Google's fuckup, the problem is obviously in your head because everything "works on my phone"™.

Plus, for the price of a N6, you can just get two Ones in case one shits itself :v:

Zom Aur posted:

Except the other manufacturers might release updates making their pieces of poo poo work somewhat better. OPO and cyanogenmod might have an uncertain future there.

There have been multiple updates already, and the future is about as certain as with any other manufacturer. CM is promising continued support and OPO are making their own stock-is rom now.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
That OnePlus requires you to ship your more-broken-than-normal OPO back to them before getting a replacement is not anecdotal.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Anecdotal horror stories are apparently admissible for OPO but if it's about Google's fuckup, the problem is obviously in your head because everything "works on my phone"™.

Plus, for the price of a N6, you can just get two Ones in case one shits itself :v:

There have been multiple updates already, and the future is about as certain as with any other manufacturer. CM is promising continued support and OPO are making their own stock-is rom now.

Actually,

RVProfootballer posted:

The difference is you get a 2 day cross shipped RMA for your Nexus 5 if you have a problem. Not sure about Moto, but I'm sure it is much nicer than dealing with OPO returns.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I flashed 5.1 with no prior experience. The flash-all script kept failing and saying no system.img but I found an android police article that had a walk through of flashing each part individually and it worked like a champ. I did it clean so now I'm setting this up again. All-in-all it took maybe.. 20 minutes? And that includes downloading the sdk and whatnot too.

I locked the bootloader afterward, not sure if I should have.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
"Other phones are just as bad so you should buy a One Plus One and accept failure. God is dead."

mobby_6kl posted:

Yes let's trust this company with a history of long-term unfixed software fuckups to fix the OS side, and let's also trust this Chinese garbage-phone company to make good-quality and well-supported hardware instead of getting a cheap windows phone or something sane.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

myron cope posted:

No, you probably shouldn't have.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

myron cope posted:

It means that next update that comes you'll be erasing everything all over again if you want to go the same route. Of course there's no reason you can't just wait for the OTA as long as you don't root (which you also can't do without wiping now if you didn't flash a recovery before relocking).

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

LastInLine posted:

It means that next update that comes you'll be erasing everything all over again if you want to go the same route. Of course there's no reason you can't just wait for the OTA as long as you don't root (which you also can't do without wiping now if you didn't flash a recovery before relocking).

Yeah I'm not sure I'll flash the next update, I'll probably just wait for OTA--this was just something to try since I needed a factory reset anyway. I'm not interested in root either, so that's fine.

It was super easy though.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

this_is_hard posted:

That would depend greatly on what kind of phone you have!

Sorry, it's an HTC Sensation 4g. Old, but I'm cheap.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Seidio is probably your best option unless you want to chance an amazon chinese fire hazard:
http://www.seidioonline.com/HTC-Sensation-4G-s/6207.htm

I'd put the $50 towards a phone upgrade though.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Any spergin' trip reports on whether or not 5.1 for the N6 enables hardware encryption that fixes the performance issues of its flash? I never had any complaints about the speediness of mine, but during the initial batch of reviews it kinda psyched me out.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My US GSM Moto G should arrive in the next couple days, but I can't figure out what size sim the drat thing takes. There are so many versions of the G that review sites don't help, and Amazon's listing doesn't have that information. I'd like to know ahead of time of the card from my N4 will work or if I'll have to take a trip to a T-Mobile store.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

hooah posted:

My US GSM Moto G should arrive in the next couple days, but I can't figure out what size sim the drat thing takes. There are so many versions of the G that review sites don't help, and Amazon's listing doesn't have that information. I'd like to know ahead of time of the card from my N4 will work or if I'll have to take a trip to a T-Mobile store.

Here's the spec page for the US 2nd gen model and it says micro SIM, same as your N4 would use.

https://www.motorola.com/us/smartphones/moto-g-2nd-gen/moto-g-2nd-gen.html#specs-moto-g-titan

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

butt dickus posted:

And good luck when something goes wrong with yours!

OPPO seems to have realized how hosed up their shipping solution is for Canadians, so they decided to fix things by no longer offering shipping to Canada at all. :allears:

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Turnquiet posted:

Any spergin' trip reports on whether or not 5.1 for the N6 enables hardware encryption that fixes the performance issues of its flash? I never had any complaints about the speediness of mine, but during the initial batch of reviews it kinda psyched me out.

There were commits that enabled HW encryption, but they were disabled shortly after they were added. I saw something on G+ showing that some improvements were made though. The code to handle encryption and hashing was improved to use the ARM NEON instructions, so they run somewhat faster.

Edit:
https://plus.google.com/+FranciscoFranco1990/posts/3RKjDGjjPQ7

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

It's too early for me to know for sure but so far 5.1 seems like a great release. I don't know that I had too many problems on 5.0.x but this seems really smooth and fast

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Dark One posted:

OPPO seems to have realized how hosed up their shipping solution is for Canadians, so they decided to fix things by no longer offering shipping to Canada at all. :allears:

Honestly I'm surprised more companies don't give up like this :(

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

The Dark One posted:

You can't say they didn't solve the problem, though!

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

WugLyfe posted:

In a perfect world, yes. You'd be right.

Just say what you do fucker

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

WugLyfe posted:

In a perfect world, yes. You'd be right.

Are you a paparazzi???

PK-Fire
Sep 26, 2003

WugLyfe posted:

I never said it would be trouble free, I was trying to find the best phone to minimize my risk given some dev use, and a couple other things.

I'll do a deeper dive on the ART thing, I wonder if one of the apps I had just never got the attention it needed for lollipop. Thanks for that.

I've never rooted, nor put a custom ROM, Kernel, sideloaded non Play Store app, or any other hacky BS on this N5-doesn't mean that one of the apps on there might not be the cause. It was old and having battery issues I thought were due to the 5.0.1 update, but the second day after updating to 5.1 the problems went on pause for a bit, then the phone died. A coworker of mine is having similar issues with his on 5.0.1, though its almost assuredly a battery that's long past its cycle.
Just confirming I have the exact same problem on my nexus 5. It happened to my last one while it was still under warranty and they replaced it but now its back on the refurb. On the last one it got to the point where shaking the phone would make it reboot. The optimizing with every reboot seems unique to 5.1 because I've never seen it before I updated. I'm unlocked but not rooted and no sideloaded apps. You can minimize the problem by installing apps to unlock your screen using the proximity sensor and putting a widget on the home screen to lock your phone so you never have to actually press the power button, but it still happens sometimes.

I'm trying to survive on mine until the m9 or galaxy comes out. I'm eligible for an upgrade but the nexus 6 just seems too ridiculously big.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

cisco privilege posted:

Seidio is probably your best option unless you want to chance an amazon chinese fire hazard:
http://www.seidioonline.com/HTC-Sensation-4G-s/6207.htm

I'd put the $50 towards a phone upgrade though.

I might take another look at used phones, but I've got too much in the way of debt and car repairs to justify a new phone.

Where online should I be looking at used phones? I presume this is going to be one time I should care about replaceable batteries, judging by how far downhill this one has gone in less than a year and a half.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 14, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I can't find it, did WugLyfe ever disclose his extra-special use case on his phone, or did he finally back track completely on his ambiguous statements?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I might take another look at used phones, but I've got too much in the way of debt and car repairs to justify a new phone.

Where online should I be looking at used phones? I presume this is going to be one time I should care about replaceable batteries, judging by how far downhill this one has gone in less than a year and a half.

Swappa or Amazon are the common recommendations.

Hadlock posted:

I can't find it, did WugLyfe ever disclose his extra-special use case on his phone, or did he finally back track completely on his ambiguous statements?

Neither.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Girlfriend just picked up a Droid Turbo. God drat is that a nice phone...

Unrelated to Droid Turbo, how is the S5 Active? Seen a couple for fairly cheap since people are jazzed for the S6

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
If my nexus 5 is rooted, no OTA's right?

I have the 5.1 ROM downloaded on my PC from Google's site, what folder should I put it in on the device before I unzip and flash?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

always be closing posted:

If my nexus 5 is rooted, no OTA's right?

I have the 5.1 ROM downloaded on my PC from Google's site, what folder should I put it in on the device before I unzip and flash?

Correct, no OTAs. If you got the 5.1 image from Google, then it's not something you can flash on your phone. There are instructions near the top of this page for how to flash. If you want to preserve your data, edit the script file and remove the -w flag.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/03/14/the-original-moto-x-is-finally-getting-its-lollipop-soak-test/

About time. I was guessing that they were waiting until 5.1 came out and made it a bit more stable, but its only getting 5.02.

Lolipop seems pretty stable on the 2014 Moto X, so I'm hoping that they ironed it out for the 2013 model too.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

hooah posted:

Correct, no OTAs. If you got the 5.1 image from Google, then it's not something you can flash on your phone. There are instructions near the top of this page for how to flash. If you want to preserve your data, edit the script file and remove the -w flag.

I just got the device, so I haven't even put my sim in yet. Thanks I will read up.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Or just fastboot flash the components separately. The syntax is "fastboot flash [thing] [thing.img]" and you need the bootloader, radio, boot, and system.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

IuniusBrutus posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/03/14/the-original-moto-x-is-finally-getting-its-lollipop-soak-test/

About time. I was guessing that they were waiting until 5.1 came out and made it a bit more stable, but its only getting 5.02.

Lolipop seems pretty stable on the 2014 Moto X, so I'm hoping that they ironed it out for the 2013 model too.

Lmao of course the 2013 X gets lollipop before the turbo

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I have to say after a few days on Lollipop 5.1 I'm pretty sure the battery consumption is back to KitKat levels of good. Everything is perfect here on it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

I have to say after a few days on Lollipop 5.1 I'm pretty sure the battery consumption is back to KitKat levels of good. Everything is perfect here on it.

:argh: Release the Nexus 4 image, Google! Not that it matters much since I'll be replacing this phone imminently, but still.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

this_is_hard posted:

Lmao of course the 2013 X gets lollipop before the turbo

I really truly believe we were supposed to get 5.0.2 with the last update but they pulled it at the last minute and replaced it with a VoLTE bug fixer when they saw that 5.1 release was going to happen in the next two weeks.

Now if only the N9 would get the 5.1 image posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
5.1 really is everything it's cracked up to be. My 2012 N7 is usable again!