Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

forbidden lesbian posted:

well, what's the answer?

Here's what the ESBR's official website says about the sexual content:

During the course of the game, some female characters are depicted in outfits that expose large amounts of cleavage and jiggling breasts. In one sequence, players can use a spy camera to zoom in on a female character wearing a bikini. The game includes event scenes in which a character sedates/drugs players' character and performs unknown acts on them; it is implied that some of these acts may be of a sexual nature.

Tabata must have gotten showdown with the Edios Montreal team making Thief reboot over who could make a better game for voyeurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

according the replies, there's hella panty shots and a scene where you can spy on a girl in the shower. The OP of the thread was eventually convinced to buy the game and sell the FFXV demo code, because there's no breasts in it. A real win/win all around.

I'm glad everything worked out :unsmith:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Final fantasy is going to probably end up with a mmo iteration in this. Could be some really huge potential for this if they don't gently caress it up:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-future-of-shinra-and-cloud-gaming/1100-6425886/

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Yoichi Wada is LITERALLY going to hire a mad scientist named Hojo to impregnate his assistant with test tube alien matter to give birth to a superhuman child named Sephiroth who will grow up to go mad and become evil and kill the entire headquarters in the future, including Yoichi himself.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and then sephiroth will make a indy roguelike

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
and then the talent agent says

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
"What'dya call this game?"

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Despair, obviously.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Final fantasy is going to probably end up with a mmo iteration in this. Could be some really huge potential for this if they don't gently caress it up:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-future-of-shinra-and-cloud-gaming/1100-6425886/

that pr spin is the same stuff every cloud game service says ever

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Harrow posted:

Well, true. There are a few pretty nasty difficulty spikes. Dorter Trade City is pretty tough your first time through. Golgorand Execution Site is like "Dorter Part II: The Reckoning." And then, of course, there's Wiegraf.

And even Riovannes Rooftops isn't a slouch to a first-timer.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

corn in the bible posted:

that pr spin is the same stuff every cloud game service says ever

Yeah that was a very fluffy article but we'll see how it turns out. Hopefully we will get a few good games out of it.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Shinra Technologies is their business-to-business cloud solution aimed at other developers. They had two traditional streaming services before this. One was Core Online (which ended its service) and the other was Dive-In.

Shinra is said to be more efficient in that it scales server based computations with the processing demands of the game. It does so by compartmentalizing the typically processor heavy aspects of a game, such as physics. It would allows cost savings when compared to how traditional streaming servers host instances. Unlike Dive-In, games have to undergo major changes in order to use Shinra to its fullest. The eventual goal would be to get technically demanding games working on multiple devices that normally would facing porting or power constraints. Wada said we'd see results this year.

Fun fact, Yusuke Naora had to dig up old FFVII concept art when management wanted to reuse the Shinra company as the name of their cloud service.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Kyrosiris posted:

And even Riovannes Rooftops isn't a slouch to a first-timer.

Oddly, even my first time playing the game, I never had any trouble with Riovannes Rooftops. I've played the game I don't know how many times and that level has always been easy to me...until my playthrough last year when I spent a couple of hours trying to beat it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Riovannes Rooftops isn't really hard. You just can get unexpected screwed by a bad AI roll.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ImpAtom posted:

Riovannes Rooftops isn't really hard. You just can get unexpected screwed by a bad AI roll.

Well right, but if you barely got through Wiegraf and then one of the Assassins just decides to say "nope, gently caress you, reset", it can be really annoying.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ImpAtom posted:

Not to mention the PSP/iOS version loves to give out the Maintenance passive to those NPCs, so you're only going to be busy killing them and not trying to steal their gear. When you're just killing them those fights are a complete joke as long as the AI doesn't suicide itself in Riovannes.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

A Steampunk Gent posted:

That's not even Beatrix's best theme

A few pages back, but the fact that Beatrix wasn't a permanent party member is one of a very few complaints against 9.

Spoilers since there's always someone in the thread who hasn't played FF[insert #].

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chaotic Flame posted:

A few pages back, but the fact that Beatrix wasn't a permanent party member is one of a very few complaints against 9.

Spoilers since there's always someone in the thread who hasn't played FF[insert #].

That would've been awesome. Maybe have her replace Amarant or something, or even Eiko, because she could serve as the second and more offensively-capable healer that Eiko does. Amarant would be easier to replace in the story, though.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Sunning posted:

Shinra Technologies is their business-to-business cloud solution aimed at other developers. They had two traditional streaming services before this. One was Core Online (which ended its service) and the other was Dive-In.

Shinra is said to be more efficient in that it scales server based computations with the processing demands of the game. It does so by compartmentalizing the typically processor heavy aspects of a game, such as physics. It would allows cost savings when compared to how traditional streaming servers host instances. Unlike Dive-In, games have to undergo major changes in order to use Shinra to its fullest. The eventual goal would be to get technically demanding games working on multiple devices that normally would facing porting or power constraints. Wada said we'd see results this year.

Fun fact, Yusuke Naora had to dig up old FFVII concept art when management wanted to reuse the Shinra company as the name of their cloud service.

Yeah the reason I didn't just go whatever when I read this is that rather than you just being allocated an instance I. The cloud service that replicates a physical device as in say PS Now, you can hypothetically get a game that does a single render of the universe based on inputs from n users and then just sends synchronized outputs to all participants. The idea seems to be that you can introduce interactable complex physics behaviour that would otherwise have major sync issues in a multiplayer environment.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Harrow posted:

That would've been awesome. Maybe have her replace Amarant or something, or even Eiko, because she could serve as the second and more offensively-capable healer that Eiko does. Amarant would be easier to replace in the story, though.

Honestly they probably just didn't want the skill overlap and were either too lazy or too far into development to just make an entirely new skillset for her. I can see the developer-side argument against putting in "Steiner, except with a really weird damage formula."

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

The White Dragon posted:

Honestly they probably just didn't want the skill overlap and were either too lazy or too far into development to just make an entirely new skillset for her. I can see the developer-side argument against putting in "Steiner, except with a really weird damage formula."

To be fair, Eiko is "Garnet, but less summons and more white magic." Beatrix being a mix of Steiner's sword skills and Garnet's white magic could have been kind of interesting.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
Going back to the FF12IZJS character/job pairing, I found this google doc that's a pretty thorough analysis of how each character compares to the others. The difference between best and worst at any job is usually only a couple %, though Monk and Hunter are notable for a 16% dps spread. Also mathematic proof that Ashe has the second lowest sustained katana dps.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Corvinus posted:

Going back to the FF12IZJS character/job pairing, I found this google doc that's a pretty thorough analysis of how each character compares to the others. The difference between best and worst at any job is usually only a couple %, though Monk and Hunter are notable for a 16% dps spread. Also mathematic proof that Ashe has the second lowest sustained katana dps.

Is there anything anywhere in the game that you'd actually need to care about any of that?

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

victrix posted:

Is there anything anywhere in the game that you'd actually need to care about any of that?

Nope, maybe shave a couple minutes off the optional endgame bosses but some people like numbers.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

victrix posted:

:spergin::getin:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I kind of like to know that stuff even if it doesn't make much of a difference, because in some games it totally does and you won't know until it's too late.

I mean even in FFX where you can give anyone everything there's clearly better characters.

Edit: and let's be honest if you are playing the fan translated rebalancing of a PS2 game you probably care about this stuff

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 14, 2015

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Corvinus posted:

It also shows that Fran's best job, weapon-wise, is probably Breaker. Because of course the noodle-armed Scandinavian bunny girl is best suited to cracking heads with an axe.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It's all oddly counter-intuitive. Despite thematic resonance and stat strength, Balthier sucks with a gun and Ashe sucks with a katana, albeit on a fairly fine scale.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

It also shows that Fran's best job, weapon-wise, is probably Breaker. Because of course the noodle-armed Scandinavian bunny girl is best suited to cracking heads with an axe.

This makes 100% anime logic sense

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

bloodychill posted:

It's all oddly counter-intuitive. Despite thematic resonance and stat strength, Balthier sucks with a gun and Ashe sucks with a katana, albeit on a fairly fine scale.

The Ashe situation is kind of interesting.

The reason why everyone says she's the best Samurai is that she's the only character who can reach 99 STR and MAG while wearing the full Genji set. Everyone else needs to throw on some MAG-boosting armor to get there, which means they don't get the Genji set's full counterattack bonus.

But here's the thing: that only matters in the endgame. Like, the far endgame. Katanas may use both STR and MAG, but they still use STR more, and for the vast majority of the game, that means Vaan, Basch, and Balthier are far better suited to being Samurais than Ashe. (Okay, so Ashe has somewhat higher MAG for Shades of Black, but it's a mystic armor job--it's not that huge a difference.) Also? If you're going for long combos, counterattacks kind of suck. They interrupt your combo and your ATB. If you're casting Decoy on your Samurai and having them tank, it can be pretty cool to have them constantly punishing enemies for hitting them, but if you're wearing the Genji Gloves and trying to go for massive combos, counterattacks just don't fit in. Basically, even ignoring animation speed (which I obviously do, because I made Balthier a Machinist on this playthrough), the arguments for Ashe being the best Samurai are kind of shaky.

Balthier is also only the second-worst Machinist, I think. Penelo's slower than he is with a gun, and stats don't matter so that's pretty much the only criterion. Though, a lot of the arguments for "who should be what job" on GameFAQs are based on wasted stats. Like, if you make Ashe a Black/White/Red Mage, her high MAG is actually "wasted" by the end of the game because everyone, even Balthier, can hit maximum MAG as a Black/White/Red Mage at high levels and wearing mystic armor. Likewise, if you make Basch an Uhlan, you're "wasting" his high STR, because anyone, even Penelo, can hit maximum STR as an Uhlan at high levels and wearing heavy armor. This argument ignores that Ashe is going to max her MAG a lot earlier than most others, and Basch will do the same for STR, but the GameFAQs board makes almost all of its arguments based on endgame, level 80+ stats.

The correct answer is that you should make each character the job that they look the coolest in or that you think fits their character the best and just make sure you have more than one person capable of casting mid- and high-level Cure spells eventually and you'll be fine. Incidentally, the only reason I didn't make Balthier a Red Mage is that I thought maces were just too... well, blunt of a weapon for someone like him. If Red Mages used rapiers like Larsa's instead, I don't think I'd ever make Balthier anything else, lack of innate Cure be damned.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 14, 2015

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
So, I'm finally gonna play FF7, cause I got it on sale on steam some time ago. Was the translation spruced up for the re-release? I'm aware that the original PS1 version had some difficulties with that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

So, I'm finally gonna play FF7, cause I got it on sale on steam some time ago. Was the translation spruced up for the re-release? I'm aware that the original PS1 version had some difficulties with that.

I think they removed "This guy are sick" but beyond that I don't think much. I played whatever version is on PSN a year or two ago and it's rough but understandable. It's a good game, have fun.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

I think they removed "This guy are sick" but beyond that I don't think much. I played whatever version is on PSN a year or two ago and it's rough but understandable. It's a good game, have fun.

Yeah. I mean, the game has tons of fans who played through it with the kind of weird translation. FFVIII also had this really weird translation that turned Squall from a socially awkward loner into an rear end in a top hat and for some reason translated like 10 different things into "...whatever", but I loved both FFVII and FFVIII back when they were first released.

Also FF is a really weird case because FFVI had a great translation (unfortunately hampered by the limitations of the SNES).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'd say it was more hampered by the limits of the time period. ("I'm feeling sad. Time to throw myself off a cliff to perk up!")

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Harrow posted:

The Ashe situation is kind of interesting.

The funny thing, though, is that they were using Ashe's level 99 stats when they determined that she was not-so-great as a Samurai. On the relevant tab ("Jobs at lv99") if you scroll down to Samurai, you see that each of her hits gets pretty high damage (second only to Vaan who is always first or second in everything) but she tends to get fewer hits than the rest of the team overall. I'm not entirely sure why that is, but it makes it pretty clear that she's a better Uhlan than Samurai by a decent margin.

Well, "decent" in such a way as is completely irrelevant to anyone ever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I'd say it was more hampered by the limits of the time period. ("I'm feeling sad. Time to throw myself off a cliff to perk up!")
honestly even as a kid i got that celes was totally trying to kill herself and cid was just using a bit of black humor when he said it cheered them up

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I attacked when the tail was up...on accident.

It is pretty fun so far, I like the materia system although I am pretty sure I'm gonna hate it later when I have a billion of them and am paralyzed with indecision as to who should get what.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
It's not a hard game, just remember to keep the same groups of materia equipped to level them up faster.
Also, invest in enemy materia abilities if you want to break the game. Beta from the Midgard Serpent alone will wreck almost everything early on.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

It is pretty fun so far, I like the materia system although I am pretty sure I'm gonna hate it later when I have a billion of them and am paralyzed with indecision as to who should get what.

If you haven't yet and don't mind spoilers go check out Elentor's LP for some ideas for what you can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That's not so much of a problem because you get a lot of slots to work with. The bigger problem is that sometimes you have to use certain people who you havent been using, and you have to do a looooot of swapping