Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

quote:

"Oh, Harry," Petunia whispered. She knelt down and hugged him hard, face to face, their cheeks resting against each other. Harry could feel her ragged breathing, and then he heard a muffled sob escape. "Oh, Harry, I do love you, always remember that."
So he made a guess. "Mum, you know that I'm not going to turn into your sister just because I'm learning magic, right? I'll do any magic you ask for - if I can, I mean - or if you want me not to use any magic around the house, I'll do that too, I promise I'll never let magic come between us -"

A tight hug cut off his words. "You have a good heart," his mother whispered into his ear. "A very good heart, my son."

Paging Dr. Freud...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

This has been a pretty good, heartwarming start to the chapter. Harry’s back to being human and likable again. Isn’t this the supposedly “infamous” Chapter Seven? How bad can it get?

Quoting for posterity here.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 7 – Reciprocation
Part Two

quote:

His Dad straightened. "So..." he said. "Do you see a Platform Nine and Three-Quarters?"

King's Cross Station was huge and busy, with walls and floors paved with ordinary dirt-stained tiles. It was full of ordinary people hurrying about their ordinary business, having ordinary conversations which generated lots and lots of ordinary noise. King's Cross Station had a Platform Nine (which they were standing on) and a Platform Ten (right nearby) but there was nothing between Platform Nine and Platform Ten except a thin, unpromising barrier wall. A great skylight overhead let in plenty of light to illuminate the total lack whatsoever of any Platform Nine and Three-Quarters.

Harry stared around until his eyes watered, thinking, come on, mage-sight, come on, mage-sight, but absolutely nothing appeared to him. He thought about taking out his wand and waving it, but Professor McGonagall had warned him against using his wand. Plus if there was another shower of multicoloured sparks that might lead to being arrested for setting off fireworks inside a train station. And that was assuming his wand didn't decide to do something else, like blowing up all of King's Cross. Harry had only lightly skimmed his schoolbooks (though that skim was quite bizarre enough) in a very quick effort to determine what sort of science books to buy over the next 48 hours.

Well, he had - Harry glanced at his watch - one whole hour to figure it out, since he was supposed to be on the train at eleven. Maybe this was the equivalent of an IQ test and the stupid kids couldn't become wizards. (And the amount of extra time you gave yourself would determine your Conscientiousness, which was the second most important factor in scholarly success.)

What does capital-C “Conscientiousness” refer to in this context? Is it some “rationalist” or transhumanist jargon?

quote:

"I'll figure it out," Harry said to his waiting parents. "It's probably some sort of test thingy."

His father frowned. "Hm... maybe look for a trail of mixed footprints on the ground, leading somewhere that doesn't seem to make sense -"

"Dad! " Harry said. "Stop that! I haven't even tried to figure it out on my own!" It was a very good suggestion, too, which was worse.

"Sorry," his father apologised.

"Ah..." Harry's mother said. "I don't think they would do that to a student, do you? Are you sure Professor McGonagall didn't tell you anything?"

"Maybe she was distracted," Harry said without thinking.

"Harry! " hissed his father and mother in unison. "What did you do? "

His parents have the proper measure of Harry, at least.

quote:

"I, um -" Harry swallowed. "Look, we don't have time for this now -"

"Harry! "

"I mean it! We don't have time for this now! Because it's a really long story and I've got to figure out how to get to school!"

His mother had a hand over her face. "How bad was it?"

"I, ah," I can't talk about that for reasons of National Security, "about half as bad as the Incident with the Science Project?"

"Harry! "

"I, er, oh look there are some people with an owl I'll go ask them how to get in!" and Harry ran away from his parents towards the family of fiery redheads, his trunk automatically slithering behind him.

The plump woman looked to him as he arrived. "Hello, dear. First time at Hogwarts? Ron's new, too -" and then she peered closely at him. "Harry Potter? "

Four boys and a red-headed girl and an owl all swung around and then froze in place.

"Oh, come on! " Harry protested. He'd been planning to go as Harry Verres at least until he got to Hogwarts. "I bought a sweatband and everything! How come you know who I am?"

"Yes," Harry's father said, coming up behind him with long easy strides, "how do you know who he is?" His voice indicated a certain dread.

"Your picture was in the newspapers," said one of two identical-looking twins.

"HARRY! "

"Dad! It's not like that! It's 'cause I defeated the Dark Lord You-Know-Who when I was one year old!"

"WHAT? "

"Mum can explain."

"WHAT? "

"Ah... Michael dear, there are certain things I thought it would be best not to bother you with until now -"

"Excuse me," Harry said to the redheaded family who were all staring at him, "but it would be quite extremely helpful if you could tell me how to get to Platform Nine and Three Quarters right now."

"Ah..." said the woman. She raised a hand and pointed at the wall between platforms. "Just walk straight at the barrier between platforms nine and ten. Don't stop and don't be scared you'll crash into it, that's very important. Best do it at a bit of a run if you're nervous."

"And whatever you do, don't think of an elephant."

"George! Ignore him, Harry dear, there's no reason not to think of an elephant."

"I'm Fred, Mum, not George -"

"Thanks!" Harry said and took off at a run towards the barrier –

All’s well, so I’m apparently still not at the “bad” part of this chapter. Also happy to see the Weasleys making an appearance in the story – I liked the Weasleys in the canon series.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Captain Mog posted:

Yeah, it's the same way with me. If anything, reading a good fantasy novel with great world-building challenges me to come up with my own even more. I remember back in the day when the big thing were all those stories which somehow made Cloud and Sephiroth into lovers, and I thought it was pretty odd back then, too. I was under the impression that fanfiction was mainly a late 90s/00s thing but I guess it's still going strong?

Heck, Dante's Inferno was basically Bible fanfic.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Heck, Dante's Inferno was basically Bible fanfic.

Bible/Renaissance Italy. Don't forget most of the guys in Hell are people Dante either didn't like or who had actually wronged him IRL. And of course, Beatrice is some young girl he saw once for like a minute.

Dante was goony as hell. Fantastic writer, though!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think the capital-C Conscientiousness is simply a joke about RPG stats. Given how Yudkowsky writes, though, I would not be surprised if it turns up as a serious metaphor he expounds upon at length in his 'sequences'.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

JosephWongKS posted:

Part Two

All’s well, so I’m apparently still not at the “bad” part of this chapter. Also happy to see the Weasleys making an appearance in the story – I liked the Weasleys in the canon series.

Prepare to only see Ron like 5 more times throughout the entire rest of the fanfic, and only rarely referred to by first name.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Davros1 posted:

I think it's more of a case of him trying to have a comeback once the idea is dismissed.

"JK hates charities, and is a horrible person, because she wouldn't agree to let me publish my rip-off of her work."

If he's serious, just do the loving 50 Shades thing, and change the names and publish it that way.

They might have to refuse permission anyway, IANAL but copyright law and how far you are obliged to defend your IP or risk losing it is apparently a tricky business.

I remember reading about when JKR was still writing Harry Potter and on book tours. Apparently anything given to her by a member of the public had to be intercepted and literally thrown away without JKR physically touching it. In case they had given her something which contained an idea that might appear in a later novel. So as to avoid plagarism lawsuits.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
So, Big Yud decided to give Terry Pratchett one of the creepiest tributes I've ever read:

quote:

A/N: Farewell, Terry Pratchett, 1948-2015. Your characters were an inspiration to me, and now I can see how much they taught me about Level 1 and Level 3 Character Intelligence: that self-awareness often manifests as humor or as genre-savviness; that an inner spark of optimization can shine just as brightly through characters who are told (but not shown) to be lowly and stupid; that intelligent characters can go along with a spark of goodness and light running through a story, rather than cynicism. I wish I could have met you, and spoken with you about your methods. You were loved by so many, and surely at least one person who would tear apart the foundations of reality to bring you back; but your brain is dead and warm now, and so your story ends.

Even if the stars should die in heaven,
Our sins can never be undone.
No single death will be forgiven
When fades at last the last lit sun.
Then in the cold and silent black
As light and matter end,
We'll have ourselves a last look back
And toast an absent friend.

:yikes:

Added Space fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 13, 2015

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part Two

quote:

Wait a minute, it wouldn't work unless he believed in it?

It was at times like this that Harry hated his mind for actually working fast enough to realise that this was a case where "resonant doubt" applied, that is, if he'd started out thinking that he would go through the barrier he'd have been fine, only now he was worried about whether he sufficiently believed he'd go through the barrier, which meant that he actually was worried about crashing into it -

"Harry! Get back here, you have some explaining to do! " That was his Dad.

Harry shut his eyes and ignored everything he knew about justified credibility and just tried to believe really hard that he'd go through the barrier and -

- the sounds around him changed.

Harry opened his eyes and stumbled to a halt, feeling vaguely dirtied by having made a deliberate effort to believe something.

He was standing in a bright, open-air platform next to a single huge train, fourteen long carriages headed up by a massive scarlet-metal steam engine with a tall chimney that promised death to air quality. The platform was already lightly crowded (even though Harry was a full hour early); dozens of children and their parents swarmed around benches, tables, and various hawkers and stalls.

It went entirely without saying that there was no such place in King's Cross Station and no room to hide it.
Okay, so either (a) I just teleported somewhere else entirely (b) they can fold space like no one's business or (c) they are simply ignoring all the rules.

There was a slithering sound behind him, and Harry turned around to observe that his trunk had indeed followed him on its small clawed tentacles. Apparently, for magical purposes, his luggage had also managed to believe with sufficient strength to pass through the barrier. That was actually a little disturbing when Harry started thinking about it.

Didn’t Harry say that he liked reading D&D manuals? Then he should know that spells that affect the caster (such as Invisibility or Teleport) usually also affect the caster’s gear (i.e. the gear also turns invisible or gets teleported along with the caster). Same principle applies in this case – there’s no necessity for the luggage to “believe”.

quote:

A moment later, the youngest-looking red-haired boy came through the iron archway (iron archway?) at a run, pulling his trunk behind him on a lead and nearly crashing into Harry. Harry, feeling stupid for having stayed around, quickly began moving away from the landing area, and the red-haired boy followed him, yanking hard on his trunk's lead in order to keep up. A moment later, a white owl fluttered through the archway and came to rest on the boy's shoulder.

"Cor," said the red-haired boy, "are you really Harry Potter?"

Not this again. "I have no logical way of knowing that for certain. My parents raised me to believe that my name was Harry James Potter-Evans-Verres, and many people here have told me that I look like my parents, I mean my other parents, but," Harry frowned, realising, "for all I know, there could easily be spells to polymorph a child into a specified appearance -"

"Er, what, mate?"

Not headed for Ravenclaw, I take it. "Yes, I'm Harry Potter."

If Ron really does only appear a few more times in the rest of the series, I’m glad this is the case because he doesn’t deserve Harry’s condescension and general bullshit attitude.

quote:

"I'm Ron Weasley," said the tall skinny freckled long-nosed kid, and stuck out a hand, which Harry politely shook as they walked. The owl gave Harry an oddly measured and courteous hoot (actually more of an eehhhhh sound, which surprised Harry).

At this point Harry realised the potential for imminent catastrophe. "Just a second," he said to Ron, and opened one of the drawers of his trunk, the one that if he recalled correctly was for Winter Clothes - it was - and then he found the lightest scarf he owned, underneath his winter coat. Harry took off his sweatband, and just as quickly unfolded the scarf and tied it around his face. It was a little hot, especially in the summer, but Harry could live with that.

Then he shut that drawer and pulled out another drawer and drew forth black wizarding robes, which he shrugged over his head, now that he was out of Muggle territory.

"There," Harry said. The sound came out slightly muffled through the scarf over his face. He turned to Ron. "How do I look? Stupid, I know, but am I identifiable as Harry Potter?"

"Er," Ron said. He closed his mouth, which had been open. "Not really, Harry."

Ah, I see where this is going. Ron’s role in this story is to be the designated moron to make Harry look “smart”.

quote:

"Very good," Harry said. "However, so as not to obviate the point of the whole exercise, you will henceforth address me as," Verres might not work anymore, "Mr. Spoo."

"Okay, Harry," Ron said uncertainly.

The Force is not particularly strong in this one. "Call... me... Mister... Spoo."

"Okay, Mister Spoo -" Ron stopped. "I can't do that, it makes me feel stupid."

That's not just a feeling. "Okay. You pick a name."

I hate Railrunner Elizer’s Harry Potter and I hate everything he stands for.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
To be fair, Ron did sort of fill the same role in the novels as well. However, Rowling had the good sense to give him redeeming qualities while she was at it, even if Ron doesn't develop much over the books. He's a foil and a pretty good one.

Yud makes him into a retard, because everyone next to Potter-Evans-Self-Insert has to look stupid.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Arcsquad12 posted:

To be fair, Ron did sort of fill the same role in the novels as well. However, Rowling had the good sense to give him redeeming qualities while she was at it, even if Ron doesn't develop much over the books. He's a foil and a pretty good one.

Yud makes him into a retard, because everyone next to Potter-Evans-Self-Insert has to look stupid.

Also because he hates Ron and thinks of him as 'irrelevant'.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part Three

quote:

"Mr. Cannon," Ron said at once. "For the Chudley Cannons."

"Ah..." Harry knew he was going to terribly regret asking this. "Who or what are the Chudley Cannons?"

"Who're the Chudley Cannons? Only the most brilliant team in the whole history of Quidditch! Sure, they finished at the bottom of the league last year, but -"

"What's Quidditch?"

Asking this was also a mistake.

"So let me get this straight," Harry said as it seemed that Ron's explanation (with associated hand gestures) was winding down. "Catching the Snitch is worth one hundred and fifty points? "

"Yeah -"

"How many ten-point goals does one side usually score not counting the Snitch?"

"Um, maybe fifteen or twenty in professional games -"

"That's just wrong. That violates every possible rule of game design. Look, the rest of this game sounds like it might make sense, sort of, for a sport I mean, but you're basically saying that catching the Snitch overwhelms almost any ordinary point spread. The two Seekers are up there flying around looking for the Snitch and usually not interacting with anyone else, spotting the Snitch first is going to be mostly luck -"

"It's not luck!" protested Ron. "You've got to keep your eyes moving in the right pattern -"

"That's not interactive, there's no back-and-forth with the other player and how much fun is it to watch someone incredibly good at moving their eyes? And then whichever Seeker gets lucky swoops in and grabs the Snitch and makes everyone else's work moot. It's like someone took a real game and grafted on this pointless extra position so that you could be the Most Important Player without needing to really get involved or learn the rest of it. Who was the first Seeker, the King's idiot son who wanted to play Quidditch but couldn't understand the rules?" Actually, now that Harry thought about it, that seemed like a surprisingly good hypothesis. Put him on a broomstick and tell him to catch the shiny thing...

Yes yes, the Quidditch scoring system is designed solely to let the Seeker (i.e. Harry) shine and is terrible for an IRL game. However, the scoring system is perfectly designed for a story centred on Harry, and that’s all that matters for the story.

quote:

Ron's face pulled into a scowl. "If you don't like Quidditch, you don't have to make fun of it!"

"If you can't criticise, you can't optimise. I'm suggesting how to improve the game. And it's very simple. Get rid of the Snitch."

"They won't change the game just 'cause you say so!"
"I am the Boy-Who-Lived, you know. People will listen to me. And maybe if I can persuade them to change the game at Hogwarts, the innovation will spread."

A look of absolute horror was spreading over Ron's face. "But, but if you get rid of the Snitch, how will anyone know when the game ends?"

"Buy... a... clock. It would be a lot fairer than having the game sometimes end after ten minutes and sometimes not end for hours, and the schedule would be a lot more predictable for the spectators, too." Harry sighed.

These sure are novel insights and suggestions that thousands of people before Eliezarry haven’t made before.

quote:

"Oh, stop giving me that look of absolute horror, I probably won't actually take the time to destroy this pathetic excuse for a national sport and remake it stronger and smarter in my own image. I've got way, way, way more important stuff to worry about." Harry looked thoughtful. "Then again, it wouldn't take much time to write up the Ninety-Five Theses of the Snitchless Reformation and nail it to a church door -"

I hate Railrunner Eliezarry and I hate everything he stands for.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

:allears:

It gets worse.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Oh wow, I remember this. I have a pretty high tolerance for fanfiction bullshit, and I also have a high tolerance for bad writing with an interesting concept, so I stuck with it for quite a while. I eventually realized I could be reading something lighter like War and Peace, so I never got to the end. I'm excited to see how this goes; I've already seen some ridiculous bits I'd forgotten about.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yes, no rational sport in a real universe would ever allow for day-long games.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
"The last ever timeless Test was the fifth Test between England and South Africa at Durban in 1939, which was abandoned as a draw after nine days of play spread over twelve days, otherwise the England team would have missed the boat for home."

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Hahahaha, christ I forgot that he made Ron such a stereotypical 'thinks-in-a-straight-line' dullard.

Unfortunately, that jarred loose a few other bits I half-remembered about this thing, and I think I remember why this is that chapter now. :(

su3su2u1
Apr 23, 2014

Horking Delight posted:

:allears:

It gets worse.

Chapter 7 is insane nonsense, but chapter 19 is what nearly broke my brain.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tupperwarez posted:

Hahahaha, christ I forgot that he made Ron such a stereotypical 'thinks-in-a-straight-line' dullard.

Unfortunately, that jarred loose a few other bits I half-remembered about this thing, and I think I remember why this is that chapter now. :(

Don't forget Ron is into SPORTBALL, which is a silly waste of time for stupids.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Added Space posted:

So, Big Yud decided to give Terry Pratchett one of the creepiest tributes I've ever read:

:yikes:

Well, this is a lovely way to find out Terry Pratchett died. :(

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That Martin Luther reference sure came out of nowhere. Guess he's a genius for history as well as, er, everything else.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

Didn’t Harry say that he liked reading D&D manuals? Then he should know that spells that affect the caster (such as Invisibility or Teleport) usually also affect the caster’s gear (i.e. the gear also turns invisible or gets teleported along with the caster). Same principle applies in this case – there’s no necessity for the luggage to “believe”.

That's not how those spells work, those types of spells tend to be "caster/target plus stuff they're touching". Invisibility (in 2nd edition AD&D) just says "gear" so you might be able to argue that it should apply to an animated object owned by the target, but Teleport specifies that it only takes things along that the caster is touching, and that up to a weight limit. Of course, Harry's still showing a deplorable lack of curiosity about a spell that can apparently measure a person's level of belief in a thing, as he simply accepts that that's how the wall works and thus his luggage must have some form of belief.

JosephWongKS posted:

Yes yes, the Quidditch scoring system is designed solely to let the Seeker (i.e. Harry) shine and is terrible for an IRL game. However, the scoring system is perfectly designed for a story centred on Harry, and that’s all that matters for the story.

Personally, things introduced into a story that only make sense if you know it's a story annoy me. It wouldn't be that hard to change the Seeker role into something that fits better with the game as a whole while still allowing Harry the spotlight.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fenrisulfr posted:

Personally, things introduced into a story that only make sense if you know it's a story annoy me. It wouldn't be that hard to change the Seeker role into something that fits better with the game as a whole while still allowing Harry the spotlight.

It isn't that hard to think up additional rules that make the seeker a sensible role. Judging from the house cup, there's definitely some cumulative scoring stuff going on.

If I were to try to add as few extra wrinkles as possible, I'd also say that the positioning after you score a goal is set up to be super-favorable to the team that just scored, encouraging long streaks of goals by one team or another. If relatively-even teams can result in getting a dozen goals in a row, then the point values make sense.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Could also be that when Quidditch is played on a professional level rather than by highschoolers 150 points mean nothing, like when during the championship Krum caught the snitch but his team still lost.

Can't be too hard on this guy dissing Ron though, he is kind of useless in the original too.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Avalerion posted:

Could also be that when Quidditch is played on a professional level rather than by highschoolers 150 points mean nothing, like when during the championship Krum caught the snitch but his team still lost.

Can't be too hard on this guy dissing Ron though, he is kind of useless in the original too.

Professional Quidditch matches regularly last days, or so we're constantly reminded, so yeah I would imagine that the Snitch becomes much less important.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Fenrisulfr posted:

That's not how those spells work, those types of spells tend to be "caster/target plus stuff they're touching". Invisibility (in 2nd edition AD&D) just says "gear" so you might be able to argue that it should apply to an animated object owned by the target, but Teleport specifies that it only takes things along that the caster is touching, and that up to a weight limit. Of course, Harry's still showing a deplorable lack of curiosity about a spell that can apparently measure a person's level of belief in a thing, as he simply accepts that that's how the wall works and thus his luggage must have some form of belief.

He's also missing another possibility: belief is not required by the spell directly, but it is necessary to avoid flinching or stopping short.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Every time people say Quidditch is stupid I'd like to remind them that American Football, Rugby and Cricket exist, the rules of which are all endlessly more convoluted (I will admit that the snitch is pretty egregious though).

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

SSNeoman posted:

Every time people say Quidditch is stupid I'd like to remind them that American Football, Rugby and Cricket exist, the rules of which are all endlessly more convoluted (I will admit that the snitch is pretty egregious though).

I don't think anyone's problem with Quidditch is that the rules are too convoluted. The problem is that they're too simple; every game that Rowling actually details amounts to snitch=win. I'd rather play/watch a game with interesting rules (regardless of convolution) than one where only one piece ultimately matters.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
What bugs me on this isn't that Yud is wrong - it's that it's such low-hanging fruit. Quidditch blatantly exists just so there's a sports hook in the books, and that's cool. The original star wars had lightsaber fights so that there's a fight scene. And that's ok. Pointing out the Snitch flaw is like mentioning that Vader and Luke are pretty crap with swords - it's (deliberately) missing the point, just to score an easy 'victory'.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
Overcoming Bias is big in the college crowd, or at least it was in my school

su3su2u1
Apr 23, 2014

Tequila Bob posted:

I don't think anyone's problem with Quidditch is that the rules are too convoluted. The problem is that they're too simple; every game that Rowling actually details amounts to snitch=win. I'd rather play/watch a game with interesting rules (regardless of convolution) than one where only one piece ultimately matters.

I think one of the games goes against the team that got the snitch, at the big fancy quidditch tournament.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

su3su2u1 posted:

I think one of the games goes against the team that got the snitch, at the big fancy quidditch tournament.

Yeah, at the aforementioned Quidditch World Cup. Bulgaria's getting destroyed by the Irish, so Krum grabs the snitch to end the game to avoid further embarrassment.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

su3su2u1 posted:

I think it is also the only game that is described in detail even though Harry isn't playing.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos
Hey, so apparently I've been invited to some nerd dungeon (well it is literally underground, and it is a games store) where people are celebrating the conclusion of this story. I've...never been to anything like this before. I mean I've read far too much of HPMOR, and I can see why the ending of it will be a cause of celebration [edit: I haven't actually read the last 3 chapters, and I can't be bothered, so please spoil me]. Maybe Yudkowsky will actually have time to put his money where his mouth is now and actually build an AI that outdoes the Roomba (a device he disparages, but which does far more than he does to advance the cause of artificial intelligence, thanks partially to cats and Youtube). And maybe he'll finally get therapy? I hope he gets therapy.

Anyway I'm bored as hell right now and it's one of my oldest friends has invited me (and it's the same friend who introduced me to Worm, a story that is so infinitely better that I will always forgive him anything), so I'm gonna go. I'm guessing that if I wanted to fit in I'd have to buy a fedora and somehow grow the beard on my neck out in a mere 18 hours.

I guess I could always pretend to get mixed up and pretend I was a fan of Natural 20 instead. Oddly I think that would be less nerdy. Any ideas?

Edit: sorry, mixed up hyperlinks
And as I said, could someone please spoil the past 3-4 chapters so I can pretend I'm up to date when I talk with some strangers tomorrow night and so I don't have to read them myself?

IronClaymore fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 14, 2015

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

IronClaymore posted:

Hey, so apparently I've been invited to some nerd dungeon (well it is literally underground, and it is a games store) where people are celebrating the conclusion of this story. I've...never been to anything like this before. I mean I've read far too much of HPMOR, and I can see why the ending of it will be a cause of celebration [edit: I haven't actually read the last 3 chapters, and I can't be bothered, so please spoil me]. Maybe Yudkowsky will actually have time to put his money where his mouth is now and actually build an AI that outdoes the Roomba (a device he disparages, but which does far more than he does to advance the cause of artificial intelligence, thanks partially to cats and Youtube). And maybe he'll finally get therapy? I hope he gets therapy.

Anyway I'm bored as hell right now and it's one of my oldest friends has invited me (and it's the same friend who introduced me to Worm, a story that is so infinitely better that I will always forgive him anything), so I'm gonna go. I'm guessing that if I wanted to fit in I'd have to buy a fedora and somehow grow the beard on my neck out in a mere 18 hours.

I guess I could always pretend to get mixed up and pretend I was a fan of Natural 20 instead. Oddly I think that would be less nerdy. Any ideas?

Edit: sorry, mixed up hyperlinks
And as I said, could someone please spoil the past 3-4 chapters so I can pretend I'm up to date when I talk with some strangers tomorrow night and so I don't have to read them myself?

Spoilers: Harry is a memory clone of Tom Riddle, who was posing as Dark Arts professor Quirrell. He tricks Harry in a stupid way to go into the third floor corridor, which Dumbledore set up as a harmless obstacle course so Voldy wouldn't just pave it in student corpses to get through. He drops the inane backstory (he's tricked everyone and is so much smarter and better then everyone, haha). The mirror is now an AI that Merlin created, Voldy tricks it, but Dumbledore was waiting for him. Voldy uses the Invisibility Cloak to duck a mirror trap, Dumby gets Lost In Time.

Voldy drags Harry through the chamber of secrets into a graveyard, where he summons the Death Eaters to surround Harry. Voldy ressurects Hermy with a new super-body, makes Harry take an Unbreakable Vow to save the world, then tries to kill him. Harry kills him and all the Death Eaters with his bullshit powers he developed in the story, then stages the scene so Quirrel will take the credit.

McG takes over as Headmistress, resolves to listen to Harry's bullshit more often.

Quirrel has a hero's funeral, Harry can't shut his drat yap because OF COURSE Harry's commentary is more important.

Dumbledore leaves a pair of letters explaining that he listened to EVERY PROPHECY EVER and decided that Harry was the least bad option among them. All the random inexplicable crap from the first few chapters was Dumby's doing Because Prophecy. Dumby gives Harry all his swag, including Randian Democracy-Is-Stupid Supreme Wizard Guy post. Harry admits he's been a vindictive idiot and gives it over to Bones (with him having a back door to reclaim it, of course). Harry announces that the Stone will be used to give transhumanist bodies to everyone (except muggles, because SCIENCE IS DANGEROUS).

Harry spills the plot to Draco, acknowledged that Harry has ruined his life in a ridiculously complete way (including killing his father because it would be politically convenient), but he still totes wants to be best buds. Draco tells him to ram it, so Harry mind wipes him. Plus side, Draco's mom was being held prisoner and they're reunited - by mom calling Draco by her murdered husband's name. Ackward...

Snape, tired of being bottom bitch at Hogwarts, throws up the deuces and gets the gently caress out.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Added Space posted:

Spoilers: Harry is a memory clone of Tom Riddle, who was posing as Dark Arts professor Quirrell. He tricks Harry in a stupid way to go into the third floor corridor, which Dumbledore set up as a harmless obstacle course so Voldy wouldn't just pave it in student corpses to get through. He drops the inane backstory (he's tricked everyone and is so much smarter and better then everyone, haha). The mirror is now an AI that Merlin created, Voldy tricks it, but Dumbledore was waiting for him. Voldy uses the Invisibility Cloak to duck a mirror trap, Dumby gets Lost In Time.

Voldy drags Harry through the chamber of secrets into a graveyard, where he summons the Death Eaters to surround Harry. Voldy ressurects Hermy with a new super-body, makes Harry take an Unbreakable Vow to save the world, then tries to kill him. Harry kills him and all the Death Eaters with his bullshit powers he developed in the story, then stages the scene so Quirrel will take the credit.

McG takes over as Headmistress, resolves to listen to Harry's bullshit more often.

Quirrel has a hero's funeral, Harry can't shut his drat yap because OF COURSE Harry's commentary is more important.

Dumbledore leaves a pair of letters explaining that he listened to EVERY PROPHECY EVER and decided that Harry was the least bad option among them. All the random inexplicable crap from the first few chapters was Dumby's doing Because Prophecy. Dumby gives Harry all his swag, including Randian Democracy-Is-Stupid Supreme Wizard Guy post. Harry admits he's been a vindictive idiot and gives it over to Bones (with him having a back door to reclaim it, of course). Harry announces that the Stone will be used to give transhumanist bodies to everyone (except muggles, because SCIENCE IS DANGEROUS).

Harry spills the plot to Draco, acknowledged that Harry has ruined his life in a ridiculously complete way (including killing his father because it would be politically convenient), but he still totes wants to be best buds. Draco tells him to ram it, so Harry mind wipes him. Plus side, Draco's mom was being held prisoner and they're reunited - by mom calling Draco by her murdered husband's name. Ackward...

Snape, tired of being bottom bitch at Hogwarts, throws up the deuces and gets the gently caress out.

Spoilers don't really count for the fact that time travel might have been (or might have have been) involved in all that. Because I know I'm going to read it in full, but when I do I shall endeavour to be so drunk I do not remember a word. So according to the laws of time it never happened or something...and that made way more sense in my head than it does on the internet.

Anyway, thank you. Now I don't have to actually read it. I will eventually though.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The final HPMOR chapter is out (except for an epilogue Yud claims he will write in one year's time so that other people can write fanfics in his universe). I liked HPMOR as a guilty pleasure to scratch the HP itch, but the ending is disappointing in the same way LOST's ending is: it provides some closure for the characters but leaves all the overarching mysteries unanswered.

Also Harry quotes Yud's other work in the chapter. It's as awkward and conceited as it sounds.

su3su2u1
Apr 23, 2014

In It For The Tank posted:

The final HPMOR chapter is out (except for an epilogue Yud claims he will write in one year's time so that other people can write fanfics in his universe). I liked HPMOR as a guilty pleasure to scratch the HP itch, but the ending is disappointing in the same way LOST's ending is: it provides some closure for the characters but leaves all the overarching mysteries unanswered.

Also Harry quotes Yud's other work in the chapter. It's as awkward and conceited as it sounds.

Hariezer has quoted Yudkowsky's other work throughout the entire fanfic. It's almost as if he is a total self-insert character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

IronClaymore posted:

Maybe Yudkowsky will actually have time to put his money where his mouth is now and actually build an AI that outdoes the Roomba (a device he disparages, but which does far more than he does to advance the cause of artificial intelligence, thanks partially to cats and Youtube). And maybe he'll finally get therapy? I hope he gets therapy.

You may be sardonic when you say this, but this is probably the route that humanity will take when it comes to making AI. Giving a computer human-like intelligence and extreme decision-making skills is not only currently impossible, it's also pointless. People would much rather make a computer do one job, but do it extremely well, rather than have one computer which will do everything. Why would I want my box-lifting robot to be able to debate me in philosophy? I just want it to lift boxes and to not hurt anyone when doing so.

Unfortunately, this approach means that Yudkowsky's "research" would be rendered moot, so he hates this idea.