Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Maybe its Jorah who gets it instead of Barry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Lycus posted:

Tywin talking to Tommen about what makes a good king.

drat. This is why you shouldn't drunk watch TV. I've got the vaguest recollection of this scene but I can't recall any details.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I still haven't rewatched the show in its entirety since I read the books at the end of season 4 and so the lines between book stuff and show stuff are really badly blurred, regardless of if it was a good addition or a bad addition and the first time someone told me Arya being Tywins cupbearer at Harrenhall wasn't in the books I insisted it was and made a cash bet on it like a dickhead so I really should just sit down and watch it all again before S5 starts

It doesn't help that the reason I started watching GoT in the first place was it was part of the social TV night I do with my friends every week and so I've mostly either been drunk or high while watching it

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Frostwerks posted:

drat. This is why you shouldn't drunk watch TV. I've got the vaguest recollection of this scene but I can't recall any details.

It's a pretty good scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doY0IjisBlk

(The one immediately after this one was, uh, not)

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

IncendiaC posted:

It's a pretty good scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doY0IjisBlk

(The one immediately after this one was, uh, not)

The director who did this ep is a major gently caress up.

No surprise D&D have dropped him from S5.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

BillBear posted:

It's kinda weird because the episodes he directed in S3 were great. But yeah, I dunno if it was because he did twice as many in S4 or what, but there was definitely a fall-off in quality.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

zVxTeflon posted:

Maybe its Jorah who gets it instead of Barry

Could be!

I think the biggest argument it's Barristan is because he (along with Grey Worm) are nowhere to be found in the leaked Daznak's Pit pictures and video.

And again... he hasn't done poo poo in the show and is basically in the role of "older, wiser Jorah whose advice Danaerys constantly ignores." Since they've got Jorah back and in the middle of the fight at the Pit, it can be speculated he and Daario will take over running Meereen with Dany out pooping in a field somewhere in season 6. Thus making Barristan once again, totally redundant.

But you know what? This is kind of fun not having any idea what's to come. It's like I'm a summer child watching season 1 for the first time all over again. :allears:

Edit:

BillBear posted:

Jesus good riddance to that guy. Clearly he got overwhelmed with season 4. Hopefully he doesn't come back at all, but if so, maybe give him one, two episodes a season tops.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 14, 2015

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

colonel_korn posted:

It's kinda weird because the episodes he directed in S3 were great. But yeah, I dunno if it was because he did twice as many in S4 or what, but there was definitely a fall-off in quality.

I just saw he also did the Viper vs Mountain duel, :wtc: that poo poo rocked hard. Explains the beetles scene though.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think it's probably Mance or Mace Tyrell. Both would make sense for characters that have been underused so far and would theoretically be getting to do stuff in S5.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The conclusion of the Mountain/Oberyn fight is good, but the actual fight is edited really poorly. There's a cut every other second and it kills the pacing and really undermines the choreography of the fight. The same is true for the Brienne/the Hound fight in Episode 10, where the camera is all over the pace and it looks so sloppy. His direction really interferes with the scene playing out before the camera.

I also feel like the controversy of the scene in the sept with Jaime and Cersei arises entirely out of Graves' failure to communicate the intent of the scene and his shoddy direction made it look significantly worse than it was intended to be.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

In It For The Tank posted:

The conclusion of the Mountain/Oberyn fight is good, but the actual fight is edited really poorly. There's a cut every other second and it kills the pacing and really undermines the choreography of the fight. The same is true for the Brienne/the Hound fight in Episode 10, where the camera is all over the pace and it looks so sloppy. His direction really interferes with the scene playing out before the camera.

I also feel like the controversy of the scene in the sept with Jaime and Cersei arises entirely out of Graves' failure to communicate the intent of the scene and his shoddy direction made it look significantly worse than it was intended to be.

I thought it worked pretty well for the Brienne/Hound fight, as there was nothing meant to be elegant. It was dirty, brutal, and the pacing kind of lends to it. I do agree about the Mountain/Red Viper fight tho, way too many edits.

Graves has talent, as his work in season 3 (and some individual scenes in s4) shows, but it's pretty obvious he was in over his head in s4.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Ballz posted:

Could be!

I think the biggest argument it's Barristan is because he (along with Grey Worm) are nowhere to be found in the leaked Daznak's Pit pictures and video.

And again... he hasn't done poo poo in the show and is basically in the role of "older, wiser Jorah whose advice Danaerys constantly ignores." Since they've got Jorah back and in the middle of the fight at the Pit, it can be speculated he and Daario will take over running Meereen with Dany out pooping in a field somewhere in season 6. Thus making Barristan once again, totally redundant.

But you know what? This is kind of fun not having any idea what's to come. It's like I'm a summer child watching season 1 for the first time all over again. :allears:

Alright, my guess is that Grey Worm is going to be an early victim of the Harpies partway through the season, Barristan will die toward the end fighting Harpies on the dais to cover Daenerys's escape into the pit.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

I don't care who dies this season as long as it isn't Margaery :pray:

I hope it's Jon

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Ballz posted:

Jesus good riddance to that guy. Clearly he got overwhelmed with season 4. Hopefully he doesn't come back at all, but if so, maybe give him one, two episodes a season tops.

It'll be interesting to see how things go this season. 4 out of the 5 directors are new (although one of them, Jeremy Podeswa, has done a ton of poo poo for other HBO shows). D&D aren't directing any episodes, but are writing seven, with two being written by Cogman (generally pretty good IMO) and one by a guy who they gave an episode to because he suggested that potato boy should kill Ygritte last season.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

colonel_korn posted:

one by a guy who they gave an episode to because he suggested that potato boy should kill Ygritte last season.

Do you have a source for this? It sounds too good to be true.

If that guy does write an episode, I hope that the entire thing is just as telegraphed as that. I want every piece of foreshadowing to be accompanied by an Arrested Development style musical sting.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm a little amazed they didn't come up with potato-boy killing Ygritte from his inception, TV writing demanded that someone actually shoot her in the most dramatic way possible rather than Jon coming across her dying on the battlefield so inventing a Night's Watch recruit with a visceral, recent and on-screen reason to hate the Wildlings is a natural choice.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I'm a little amazed they didn't come up with potto-boy killing Ygritte from his inception, because it was so obvious.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Selmy has a big fight scene in ADWD doesn't he? Against some leader of the masked guys.

I actually don't remember him having any fights in the books before that one. It's not like they've been cutting Selmy sword action.

Ross fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 14, 2015

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Meet the Sand Snakes.

It looks disconcertingly like they combined all the Sand Snakes into one character and then multiplied the resulting composite three times. Barring their weapon of choice, they now seem indistinguishable from each other.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Meet the Sand Snakes.

It looks disconcertingly like they combined all the Sand Snakes into one character and then multiplied the resulting composite three times. Barring their weapon of choice, they now seem indistinguishable from each other.

Yeah they just seem like generic "fantasy warrior women" at this point. Personality-wise, I really liked how in the book they each had skills in one area that they used to get info. Like doesn't Doran send Nym to be on the Small Council because she has the smarts and the noble blood, Tyene to suck up to the High Sparrow because she's a septa, and Obara's missing all subtlety and is really only good at fighting so she's sent to hunt down Darkstar.

They also got rid of their physical diversity so I imagine show-only people will have an even harder time keeping track of them.

Very disappointing.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Yes, yes, interesting, memorable characters with individual plot lines and unique skill sets...but which ones will get naked?

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

nine-gear crow posted:

Someone put Charles Dance's Old Man Winter monologue from the BBC Sochi Olympics ads over one of the more recent GoT trailers a while back and gently caress me if it didn't sound like the Night's King basically mic dropping all of Westeros.

If they ever have the King talk, they should get Dance back to voice him because Charles Dance is loving amazing in everything he does.

Edit: https://youtu.be/4b9Ji7DvsjU <- The original ad, for context

I don't suppose you have a link to it? The Charles Dance Sochi mashup bit I mean. I tried looking but couldn't find it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really hope we haven't gotten to the point where people watch GoT just to see who dies. I really hate this age of "holy poo poo!" TV.

Anyways, less Tysha the better.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

The North Tower posted:

Yes, yes, interesting, memorable characters with individual plot lines and unique skill sets...but which ones will get naked?

This is hitting on the reason why I was very surprised at no Arianne.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zippy the Bummer posted:

I don't suppose you have a link to it? The Charles Dance Sochi mashup bit I mean. I tried looking but couldn't find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJL_4xuQR5Y This is the only one I could find, but it's not the one I remember seeing. That one was more Wall/Others/Wildlings-focused. I think it must have been deleted between there and here. Bummer.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

nine-gear crow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJL_4xuQR5Y This is the only one I could find, but it's not the one I remember seeing. That one was more Wall/Others/Wildlings-focused. I think it must have been deleted between there and here. Bummer.

this is close enough holy poo poo

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

nine-gear crow posted:

This is awesome!

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Take my money, Charles Dance :shepspends:

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

BillBear posted:

It's clear Tormund did love Ygritte, just not romantically. There was a kind of parental or sibling relationship there. And the Hound did risk his life protecting Arya despite the fact that at that point he'd accepted that he'd never be able to ransom her.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
What Clegane said in the confrontation was an admission of such. Quit being dicks about Alex Graves when he directed some of the best episodes.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Apoplexy posted:

What Clegane said in the confrontation was an admission of such. Quit being dicks about Alex Graves when he directed some of the best episodes.

Hi Alex!

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
It's entirely a coincidence that my name happens to be Alex.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Apoplexy posted:

It's entirely a coincidence that my name happens to be Alex.

A grave coincidence?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

A grave coincidence?

:golfclap:

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

Meet the Sand Snakes.

Admittedly, I was disappointed in the last two books so maybe that influenced me, but I don't recall them being very interesting characters in the book series, either. The only thing I really remember about them is how they were arguing with Ellaria Sand about how awesome it would be to murder the little boy who loves kittens and being over the top with their blood lust.

someusername
Jan 26, 2015
D&D nerds what would you call Areo's weapon?

A glaive?

I always played polearm guys in 3.0 and up , PNP and NWN, because 2h STR bonus and 3x crits, and in Baldurs because of the reach advantage.

I love polearms.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

someusername posted:

A glaive?

I always played polearm guys in 3.0 and up , PNP and NWN, because 2h STR bonus and 3x crits, and in Baldurs because of the reach advantage.

I love polearms.

Halberd supremacy.

I'm sure Maisie Williams is happy she's getting a new costume finally. She's been wearing the same one for what 3 seasons?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

someusername posted:

A glaive?

It's not quite a Lochaber axe, but it's made with the same intent - basically, doing unto armoured knights what you might do unto a shelled lobster. More than anything it looks like a battle axe or a partizan, though.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

someusername posted:

A glaive?

I love polearms.
It's a bit short, but glaive seems the best fit to describe it.

e:

Jedit posted:

It's not quite a Lochaber axe, but it's made with the same intent - basically, doing unto armoured knights what you might do unto a shelled lobster. More than anything it looks like a battle axe or a partizan, though.
The blade is mounted on top of the shaft not on the side, so it's not an *-axe. A partizan's blade has protusions which Areo's weapon doesn't have at all. :spergin:

Obligatory link: http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4dnd/polearmquiz

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

frankenfreak posted:

The blade is mounted on top of the shaft not on the side, so it's not an *-axe. A partizan's blade has protusions which Areo's weapon doesn't have at all. :spergin:

Hotah's weapon looks rather like item 53 in this image.

• Locked thread