Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Smythe posted:

*man who has presumably never been hurting for money* "why are all these morons signing up for this losing investment? idiots keep doing dumb things for cash. be it driving for uber or robbing liquor stores. they should just get a good job writing code. IDIOTS

lol at even ironic uber apologism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

graph posted:

lol at even ironic uber apologism

there was a not a single trace of apologism in my post. It actually had very little to do with Uber and more about a man who genuinely doesn't understand the plight of the poor and how given the right circumstances, in this case desperation, anyone can make a bad decision.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'd love to see retention stats

i bet the business is built on burning out drivers and replacing them

don't forget maintaining the appearance of quality by firing drivers and replacing them

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Smythe posted:

there was a not a single trace of apologism in my post. It actually had very little to do with Uber and more about a man who genuinely doesn't understand the plight of the poor and how given the right circumstances, in this case desperation, anyone can make a bad decision.

Most poors don't own a car that would ever be accepted by uber.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

eric posted:

well thank goodness uber is enabling these market innovaters and bootstrappers the ability to get a subprime car loan to ruin their life with

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

eric posted:

yea those poverty stricken trashcans coldnt have possible taken out a big rear end care note, find themselves over their head, and end up driving their new civic into the ground driving it for uberX in a desperate effort to keep up. thats never happened.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

well thank goodness uber is enabling these market innovaters and bootstrappers the ability to get a subprime car loan to ruin their life with

efb

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ken idk what ur deal is but u seem rly stupid...

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Smythe posted:

yea those poverty stricken trashcans coldnt have possible taken out a big rear end care note, find themselves over their head, and end up driving their new civic into the ground driving it for uberX in a desperate effort to keep up. thats never happened.

Luckily these bad decision makers will be able to set their own rates once uber is smacked down in court and they might be able to make a buck

reading
Jul 27, 2013

eric posted:

Luckily these bad decision makers will be able to set their own rates once uber is smacked down in court and they might be able to make a buck

haha what

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

im actually legit surprised that they don't charge for waiting, any normal metered cab will start the clock when they arrive so...

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

reading posted:

haha what

Uber and left are going to lose in court and they'll have to let drivers set their own rates if they want them to stay as contractors.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

hobbesmaster posted:

im actually legit surprised that they don't charge for waiting, any normal metered cab will start the clock when they arrive so...

premium service!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

eric posted:

Uber and left are going to lose in court and they'll have to let drivers set their own rates if they want them to stay as contractors.

this would be the funniest outcome if only to watch the relentless race to the bottom it will engender

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

uncurable mlady posted:

this would be the funniest outcome if only to watch the relentless race to the bottom it will engender

At least it would be the drivers doing it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

uncurable mlady posted:

yeah this is pretty much what's happened on there, I know a guy who drives for them and he said he's making about the same money he was with uber but they don't try to dick him around constantly so he likes them better

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

laying down some sick :biotruths:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
girls have cooties

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:gonk:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

what the flying gently caress

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ugh

it's like a royal flush of hostile bullshit

mind if I post it somewhere else to make others suffer the same reaction I had when I saw it?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
its my evolutionary prerogative to smash his brains out with a thigh bone and cast his children to the wolves

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Moist von Lipwig posted:

its my evolutionary prerogative to smash his brains out with a thigh bone and cast his children to the wolves

yeah, strange how this part always gets left out of the biotruths

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

ugh

it's like a royal flush of hostile bullshit

mind if I post it somewhere else to make others suffer the same reaction I had when I saw it?

i stole it off twitter: https://twitter.com/justkelly_ok/status/576491733615316992

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

lol named and shamed

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

so...you're ok with it then?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
st. peter don't you call me cuz i can't go
i owe my soul to the uberX loan

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
RIP GigaOM

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/9/8180703/gigaom-shuts-down

Gigaom, the influential technology website founded by Om Malik nearly a decade ago, is no more. Although Monday saw a lot of new content on the site, including a flood of news and analysis from Apple's event, the site's management ended the day at 5.57PM PT by posting a message notifying readers that "all operations have ceased" as a result of the company becoming unable to pay its creditors.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

how the gently caress does anyone still have forums cancer

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
giga om closed, toms hardware and anandtech owned by the same company, beyon3d just a forum now :sigh:

at least leo laporte is still around to be excited by dumb ms poo poo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
2cpu?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

mishaq posted:

how the gently caress does anyone still have forums cancer

they started giving it out again in hellthread

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'd love to see retention stats

i bet the business is built on burning out drivers and replacing them

the article in my post mentioned that 50% quit within a year. they probably don't want to talk about figures longer than that for a good reason.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

eric posted:

lol if you think this is going to happen

if uber loses this case they'll probably collapse. it might be possible to be profitable working like that, but they can't maintain the endless customer growth they need to keep the vc money flow going without the ability to undercut all competitors and cut prices even further whenever the flow of new subscribers starts to slow in an area. between that and the general vc flight that's going to happen once they realize uber isn't immune to lawsuits, uber's days will probably be numbered. it might be possible for a company to survive a shock like that, but not uber

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

lol if you think this is going to happen

if uber loses this case they'll probably collapse. it might be possible to be profitable working like that, but they can't maintain the endless customer growth they need to keep the vc money flow going without the ability to undercut all competitors and cut prices even further whenever the flow of new subscribers starts to slow in an area. between that and the general vc flight that's going to happen once they realize uber isn't immune to lawsuits, uber's days will probably be numbered. it might be possible for a company to survive a shock like that, but not uber

or you know...uber could go back to its original design, providing a convenient way for people to book properly licensed/insured idle livery and limousine drivers with an app and charging a fair rate that is slightly pricer than a cab but a much better servi....hahahahaha what am I saying

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

forty billion dollars

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

theflyingexecutive posted:

forty billion dollars

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
pre: